As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Salary report from placement agency says i am being underpaid!!

So i got a report from robert half recently that shows positions in my industry and the national average of salary. i actually recognized it from my boss showing it to me when we posted the position for my employee, so she and the management team have definitely seen it. Suffice to say, the range for my position is a good bit above what i am making. obviously, i'd like to be making that. Reviews are coming up in a few months, and apparently everyone knows and has been complaining that our salary ranges are getting less and less competitive.

What's the best way to bring this up to my boss? on one hand, it's not like one report from a temp agency is indisputable evidence that the company doesn't pay enough. On the other, even though i was promoted recently (albeit, not with a huge pay bump) and am definitely not in a position to write my own ticket at this point, i am a pretty vital member of the team, and she is constantly checking on me to make sure i'm doing ok and happy. i tend to get left out on an island a lot because she has a lot of other stuff to oversee, and i'm pretty self sufficient. while it can be annoying not to get much "attention" i do like the autonomy it affords me.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    You can bring up the fact that your position is undervalued compared to the industry standard and while that's not a problem now and not a problem with you right this second, it's weighted heavily in how people view jumping ship.

You can frame it like in the view that if someone jumps ship, they'd have to bring their salary up to par to get a good candidate in the door anyways, why run the risk of a bad fit or having to train someone when you've got the people here already?

There's no easy way to broach salary at a job, especially when you're asking for 10%+ raise over what you make.

Also robert-half-your-paycheck sends that shit out so you get in the door with them, I'd knock a good 5% off those numbers.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    In my experience, this is just always going to be true in modern jobs. If you've been with your company for a long time, your salary is going to be behind.

You go to your boss with the report plus your recent accomplishments and tell them what you expect your salary to be, same as all times asking for a raise.

And then they don't give it to you.

And then you decide whether you want to go to another company to get it.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Whatever approach you take, you will probably be more successful if you bring other offers to the table. Bring it up like bowen said, but having another offer backs you up better than just saying "I deserve this because..."

• Options
    PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    A lot of places will just tell you to leave if you say you have offers and they need to counteroffer you to stay. I would frame it more like

"Every few years I try to sit down and think about where I am and where I'm going from a professional sense. In the course of my research I've found that my current comp is below industry for my title and experience. I feel like I've been a strong member of the team for x and y reasons and I think my salary should reflect that."

Then see what they say. If they're not going to raise you, leave.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    If you want this to stick, you need to be prepared to leave. You don't even have to mention it to your boss, just be mentally prepared in your mind that you may have to leave.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    You also have to factor in benefits. its easy to misunderstand how a good benefits package is worth less overall salary. Also as mentined these salary reports arent exactly reliable or trustworthy cause they usually have a reason for wanting you to come see them.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    yeah i figured the rates would be a bit overstated, but i'm pretty sure we used it as a base when making an offer to my current employee. Although, we used it as total comp i think, and the report says it does not include bonus. if that were my case i'd be more or less happy, but i'm still be a good bit below even if you consider their number total comp.

Maybe after i get this certification, i'll have a meeting with my boss about this.

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    I only know how performance reviews have been done where I've worked and in my experience it's the time to press if that's what you want to do. If they bump you 5% and then 2-3 months later you come in asking for more, then that's going to look weird unless you actually have other offers on the table.

I use reviews to ask questions about how the company is doing, are we growing revenue, are we projected to grow it, are we making investments, upgrading, bringing in new hires? I want to know if we're bringing in money and if we're spending it, and then I want them to know I'd be happier if they were spending more of that money on me to bring me closer to market comp.

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    yeah i figured the rates would be a bit overstated, but i'm pretty sure we used it as a base when making an offer to my current employee. Although, we used it as total comp i think, and the report says it does not include bonus. if that were my case i'd be more or less happy, but i'm still be a good bit below even if you consider their number total comp.

Maybe after i get this certification, i'll have a meeting with my boss about this.

If the report includes things like estimated benefits, 401k match, that kind of thing without line item-ing it, it can be eye-popping compared to your post-tax, post all your other deduction actual paycheck. They're counting on that sticker shock to get you to look at their offers for head hunting/placement/temping.

Not that you're probably not underpaid. Basically everyone who isn't hourly is underpaid in these united states

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    It all depends on where you live too. You're looking at national averages - but living in Detroit is heaps cheaper than living in San Francisco.

This comes up with my employees at least once a year as we work for a global company. Some of my employees think they should be making what a counterpart in a major metropolitan area should be making - with no accounting for cost of living, etc.

The reality might be that your job is where it is because of what the local COL is.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

Do it now. Give him the chance to sell it to upper management along with your cert, as it gives them a way to give you a raise without having to re-examine everyone. Raise conversations are always easier for both parties if you can tie it to tangible milestones, as then if you don't achieve them, you both know the score.

• Options
    they have factors at the end of the report to reflect location. My city was like 103% of their figure.

Also, it says specifically at the beginning of the report that their number is salary only, and doesn't include benefits/bonus/etc. that's what made it catch my eye, tbh.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I dislike these threads because I feel like they are so very, very circumstantial. So much of the advice is dependent upon your industry, your location, and the corporate culture and policies of the company you work for itself.

What will sound perfectly reasonable to an IT company in Texas with 500 employees might get you tossed out the door of a law firm in Maryland and vice versa, and the least part of the equation is definitely not whether the person in charge of making that decision is having a terrible day.

Just know that a lot of this advice may need to be adjusted to reflect your exact circumstances.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    Yeah, @ceres articulated my thoughts better than I managed. The reality is you were hired to do a certain job at a certain rate - which you accepted. It's not to say that you can't start to affect change in a positive direction. Just don't expect to all happen at once or for nothing else to change along with it (responsibilities, etc etc.).

• Options
    witch_iewitch_ie Registered User regular
    I would say that using the report of other people's salaries is not really a good way to get your own salary increased. Instead, sometime before or after your review, bring up the possibility of a raise with your boss. Ways to do this include talking about how you've grown in your role and the additional value you're adding. Make sure your boss seems to be in agreement with that and then ask if you could get a raise or another promotion. Alternatively, ask what more you could to "get to the next level". This may trigger your boss to think more about how you're advancing. Don't expect a response right away, but follow up several weeks either. Your boss has to understand the impact to budget and other costs/employees. In short, make this about how awesome you are, not about others. Again, you will have to figure out what sort of approach will work best with your boss. I don't think most management would respond well to the more entitled approach of everyone else gets this, why don't we?

• Options
    Kick_04Kick_04 Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Earlier this year I used Monster, Glassdoor, & BLS.gov for when I asked for a pay raise.

According to BLS for my area of the country the median is $22.57 and I am in the bottom 20%. I was than explained about how I am to uneducated and most people with my title have Master's Degrees. Even though I was only asking for $1/2 not $10... The government website should at least cut out cost of living when comparing small urban city to San Fran.

Edit: To find your job title

Kick_04 on
    PSN id - kickyoass1
    PaD id - 346,240,298
    Marvel FF - Lil bill12
  • Options
    oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    Tell your boss you think you should be earning more and that you're not satisfied with your current compensation. See what your boss says. She might not be able to do anything about your compensation, but you won't know unless you ask. If she's a good boss, she'll try to get you more money so she doesn't risk losing you if another opportunity comes along.

There's always the possibility that your boss either can't or won't pay you more. If that's the case you'll have to look for another job that pays what you want.

• Options
    D-AppD-App Registered User new member
    I would be careful with such comparisons. I've known some employment agencies/headhunters to use inflated figures to get employees antsy so they will start looking for other roles and thereby giving them candidates to place.

One of the most critical things is: are you happy where you are? If so, then consider whether it's worth leaving for a bigger paycheck because there are some perks which are not quantifiable.

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    So, personal circumstance, but I was at a recent job due for a promotion for about a year. This was a big, multinational corporation, and I only had contact with the hiring manager by email basically. I had recommendations, I had the qualifications, and pretty much there was no reason not to promote me. Except that the manager in charge had decided that I wasn't a good fit, because the first guy to recommend me he didn't like.

I then worked under dudes in the position I was supposed to be in who were woefully underqualified, and every single time that happened, I sent a report to the manager, who sent back reports saying "We'll keep that in mind and discuss it with them. We really value your feedback, we know that you know the needs of the position and know what it entails" .

Then my next contract would come up and I'd say "Hey how about that promotion", and he'd say "Nah". Then I'd take the job anyways because, well, I needed the money and the company knew I'd take a contract to be with my (at the time) girlfriend(Now fiancee). I kept getting more and more angry with the company for not properly compensating me, and then eventually decided to go onto bigger and better things, because it was obvious to me that they weren't going to do shit about the promotion that even they admitted I deserved.

The week after I sent in my resignation, they offered me a promotion and the contract of my choosing. Apparently they just thought I was trying to bargain and were totally ready to give me the promotion whenever I asked, if I had said "Fuck you" and left in the first place.

Is this what it is everywhere? no. But I learned from this experience that you absolutely have to be prepared to actually say "fuck you I'm going on to this" if you want to show you mean business.

• Options
    @Khavall‌ - of the 5 promotions I've received, 2 involved interviewing and obtaining a new job and 2 involved having offers in hand. The last one was an implied "I'll leave and you'll be fucked".

• Options
    Great ScottGreat Scott King of Wishful Thinking Paragon City, RIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    In my 12-year career in IT, this comes up constantly. Sadly, there is one simple solution.

Quit (go to another company) and come back.

Now, if that's not possible for your job/career track, then the best you can do is push for early promotion to another level or sidegrade to another position within the company. Salary negotiations for current employees aren't a thing in most places.

Great Scott on
    I'm unique. Just like everyone else.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    In my experience, this is just always going to be true in modern jobs. If you've been with your company for a long time, your salary is going to be behind.

You go to your boss with the report plus your recent accomplishments and tell them what you expect your salary to be, same as all times asking for a raise.

Just to make clear that I stand by my own statements, I just did this. Demanded a raise firmly with clear justification, etc. etc. Didn't receive it. Took another job that was the promotion/raise I wanted. Old job counter-offered, but by that time I was already moving on.

• Options
    necroSYSnecroSYS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The one thing I would caution is this: if you get other offers in the process of justifying a pay raise, be prepared to take one of those other offers. I was in a situation where I was massively undercompensated vs. my peers, but my manager said the only way he could get a raise justified would be if I had another offer in-hand that they could counter. I got another offer that was much higher than what I was making, but the company still wouldn't match it or get anywhere close. So, I took the offer I got purely as leverage for a job I didn't particularly want.
    Luckily, it's turned out pretty well in the end, but it could easily have gone south pretty fast.

• Options
    necroSYS wrote: »
    The one thing I would caution is this: if you get other offers in the process of justifying a pay raise, be prepared to take one of those other offers. I was in a situation where I was massively undercompensated vs. my peers, but my manager said the only way he could get a raise justified would be if I had another offer in-hand that they could counter. I got another offer that was much higher than what I was making, but the company still wouldn't match it or get anywhere close. So, I took the offer I got purely as leverage for a job I didn't particularly want.
    Luckily, it's turned out pretty well in the end, but it could easily have gone south pretty fast.

This is important, as if you use a job offer as leverage and you're bluffing, if they call it you have zero credibility in the company and they know they can walk all over you.

• Options
    allegedly, there is a salary analysis in progress and they are looking at people on a case by case basis and adjusting to market in a couple months. I'm hoping for the best and that they will lay it out on the table and say: here's where you are, here's market, here's where we are going to bump you to. in reality, i'm expecting them to bump me 2-3%, not explain how they got that number, and act like all is rainbows and sunshine.

• Options
    allegedly, there is a salary analysis in progress and they are looking at people on a case by case basis and adjusting to market in a couple months. I'm hoping for the best and that they will lay it out on the table and say: here's where you are, here's market, here's where we are going to bump you to. in reality, i'm expecting them to bump me 2-3%, not explain how they got that number, and act like all is rainbows and sunshine.

Then it's time to look for a new job if you don't trust your company to do right by you.

• Options
    Any raise which is part of an ongoing process that will take months is more stalling tactics.

• Options
    Compare this to my situation. I took a job in LA moving from phoenix and only got like 15k more for the move. Which was shitty because 1) my old job was going to give me a 10k raise in 3 months (CFO came without prompting and told me so), and 2) that increase did not break me even with regard cost of living + the expense of leaving my old job before 1 year had ended (had to return signing bonus).

3 months in I told my boss that I expect a 15% raise this December, and told him it wasn't even about performance it was about the sheer number of hours I am working. I confirmed today that I will get that raise effective Jan 1. Be clear about your expectations, and if you're going to ask for something let them know exactly what you want. It also helps that I know I can find a new job paying more if I choose to leave (or if they didn't meet my salary requirements).

• Options
    I would wait for my review/Bonus/Merit increase anyway, so if it is BS, it wont stall me from my original timetable.

• Options
    Any raise which is part of an ongoing process that will take months is more stalling tactics.

Not necessarily. If you're in a large organization, unless you are giving notice, it can take a few months to wind through approval channels if you're in a general promotion freeze. We do merit increases once a year, and most promotions require multiple levels of approval, which means building the business case for it, which all takes time.

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular

Just to make clear that I stand by my own statements, I just did this. Demanded a raise firmly with clear justification, etc. etc. Didn't receive it. Took another job that was the promotion/raise I wanted. Old job counter-offered, but by that time I was already moving on.

god, the politics of counter offers.

"So now that I'm packing my shit and I've made the jarring decision to move on, you've magnanimously scraped up the raise, and I'm supposed to interpret this as a gift and not to mean that the whole time I worked here you were robbing me by undervaluing me?"

Usually it's better to move on. Make sure the next place tells you the criteria for raises and evals early on.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    It is almost never worth accepting a counteroffer, especially if it only matches the other offer and does not exceed it.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    schuss wrote: »

Not necessarily. If you're in a large organization, unless you are giving notice, it can take a few months to wind through approval channels if you're in a general promotion freeze. We do merit increases once a year, and most promotions require multiple levels of approval, which means building the business case for it, which all takes time.

I'd say this is more the norm than anything else. Giving an out of cycle raise (ie: not a merit increase or COL increase) has a lot tied to it. Justification needs to occur from both a merit and a P&L perspective. From there you start heading through all of the necessary approvals.

Granted, this is only true for the corporate world. I doubt it's the case for small scale businesses.

• Options
    Out of cycle raises/promos are a function of the size of your company. If you're at a relatively small company, they really can do whatever you need done. Even big companies will do it if you give them the right incentives.

• Options
    Out of cycle raises/promos are a function of the size of your company. If you're at a relatively small company, they really can do whatever you need done. Even big companies will do it if you give them the right incentives.

Eh, it depends. My wife's company is a relatively small consultancy and they only do promotions twice a year, no exceptions. I know for some of my promotions it took 2-3 months for people to get material together and get the right meetings to get it approved. If you're about to leave, you can get a priority spot on people's schedules, but that's the only exception.
    For a large company, you often have to take a look at the functions and justify the position bump by comparing their duties to other people in the target position, which can take time to put together if your manager is fairly busy.

• Options
    their "cycle" is a joke. If they can do a new hire for more than you are making, they can do a promotion.

• Options
    schuss wrote: »

Eh, it depends. My wife's company is a relatively small consultancy and they only do promotions twice a year, no exceptions. I know for some of my promotions it took 2-3 months for people to get material together and get the right meetings to get it approved. If you're about to leave, you can get a priority spot on people's schedules, but that's the only exception.
    For a large company, you often have to take a look at the functions and justify the position bump by comparing their duties to other people in the target position, which can take time to put together if your manager is fairly busy.

But at least you were informed that it was moving. Being stuck in radio silence is what I think bothers most people

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I know this is an old thread, but I want to caution you against trusting Robert Half Technology's salary reports.

Robert Half Technology bills themselves as a placement agency, but they're more of a temp agency. They specialize in filling immediate vacancies with contracts of up to 12 months, with the key words here being "up to."

In other words, they're not looking for a forever job for you. They expect you to work for 3 or 6 months, then spend a couple of months off, then work for another 3 or 6 months, etc.

They lure you in with salary reports that presume full-time constant employment. Sure, if you're making $45/hr at 2080 hours a year, that's $93600, but your chances of actually getting that per year with them are slim.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    i just about to come in here and say that

Robert Half is... perhaps not the most reputable company when it comes to claims about salaries

Robert Half is a headhunting firm, and they will routinely charge companies basically double what it would cost to actually hire an employee full time

So it is in their interest to publish high as hell salary reports to make themselves seem like a good deal

and also *surprise* to piss professionals off, make them quit their job, and staff with Robert Half

Jasconius on
  • Options
    their "cycle" is a joke. If they can do a new hire for more than you are making, they can do a promotion.

I thought the same thing, but they only hire twice a year if they can. I wouldn't put their HR/People practices anywhere near the top of the charts, but they're out there in the real market.