As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Microsoft stole $165 from me. Is there anything I can do?

KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
I had $165 worth of Microsoft points on my account - and I have the cards in hand, these were purchased and placed onto my account when there was absolutely no expiration date.

Microsoft, during the transition to "real currency" has decided to delete all of my money and absolutely refuses to do anything about it.

Basically, they claim that I accepted a new terms of service that says my money will be deleted. However, there is no option here - it's not like I could have, instead, gotten my money refunded to me. The only option given to me is "accept this, stating that your currency that used to have no expiration date will now just be stolen from you" or "do not accept, you cannot access your account or ever use it again anyway."

Microsoft has legitimately stolen $165 from me and I find this insane and borderline illegal. Is there really nothing that can be done here, and is this considered normal to anyone else?

For reference, all future currency purchased now has no expiration date, and the currency I purchased when I did also had no expiration date. They just randomly decided that anyone that had already purchased currency from them would have theirs deleted for some reason during this transition. Really swell business practice.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    How did you purchase them?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    How many different people have you tried talking to? Because when they transitioned, I had a bunch of points and they just got carried over, so it seems like something just went wrong, not that it was a deliberate move.

Edit: Whoops, nevermind. http://www.usgamer.net/articles/microsoft-points-will-expire-a-year-after-transition-to-real-money

In that case, you very well may be out of luck. Talk your way up the food chain in support as the lower level people won't be able to help. See if you can find regional vice president phone numbers/emails and talk to them. Whatever you do, stay polite and courteous, but firm. Chances are though, you're out of luck since it was in their terms of service. The only way to really contest it would be to talk to a lawyer to try to see if their terms are even enforceable or not, but for $165 that's not going to be worth it.

Daenris on
  • Options
    I talked to two people and the second guy, the supervisor, claimed there was no boss above him and there was no one else that would talk to me.

I purchased them via point cards, about two years ago.

They claim that during the transition my funds changed from permanent funds to a "promotional balance," just something they did during the transition. That gives it one year to expire, however it doesn't say this anywhere on my Xbox or any place else unless you read through the whole updated Terms of Service, which again isn't even my issue. I don't care what they changed it to, I care that I paid hundreds of dollars for points and placed it onto my account when there was NO EXPIRATION DATE and they think it is OK to just change the terms to say my points now get deleted.

• Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    Although, this page seems to indicate that the value should remain through June 2015,
    http://support.xbox.com/en-US/billing/microsoft-points/microsoft-points-retire-faq

So you could try to use that. Because based on that, you'd at least have another 8 months to spend the points before they disappeared.

• Options
    If you purchased the point cards via credit card, you can call up your bank and do a charge back. I can't imagine that kind of shit would hold water legally.

"You spent $165 of your own money, but... well I don't care, we're going to expire those point cards"

Your other option outside of credit card charge back would be to file a small claims court. If you've got proof it was on your account and a record you bought them, you can probably get them to refund you money back and be out maybe $40-60 of that $165.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Also unless you're talking to Bill Gates, there's always someone above them.

• Options
    He literally said "my boss doesn't take phone calls." This is just the second guy up, the supervisor of whoever I talked to first. The guy was a complete asshole and just smugly repeated "Sorry, you accepted the new terms, there is nothing we will do for you."

This really has me pretty pissed off, I was just looking at grabbing an Xbox One and was excited to finally have something to use this money on.

I did purchase the cards with a credit card but most of them were years ago, I'm not sure if a charge back would be possible.

• Options
    You should've grabbed their names and employee numbers. Try calling again, write down everything they say to you. Try to badger them about how they'd feel to have their name and employee number plastered on the internet in regards to their shitty customer service.

Doesn't hurt to call the bank and ask what your options are in regards to charge back on these things. Tell them that you were mislead with the new system they're implementing and they're basically stealing your money, and that you've called their customer service and they were unhelpful and basically told you too bad so sad. Visa/Mastercard have way more leverage to make them play nice than you do, even if it is old, doesn't mean they can't take money back via the insurance system your cards have.

• Options
    Pure DinPure Din Boston-areaRegistered User regular
    Have you tried calling your state attorney general office? Perhaps there are consumer protection laws that could help you.

• Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    Yeah, call again. As with any call center, the quality of who you talk to and how willing they are to deal with you in a decent fashion will vary a great deal.

I mean, you may not have any options simply because you've had that money there a LONG time, and while the initial points have no expiration, they did put a time limit on the transitional funds. They may stick to that, especially if they can prove you were sent notice of that (I know every time they change something I get an e-mail, not just a pop up EULA on the console).

So on the one hand, I would say stolen is not accurate. They changed the way money is handled and imposed limitations on the transitional period that you agreed to. They likely assumed a year would be long enough for most to clear out any balance they had.

And on the other hand, you certainly got boned in it, and it would be nice if they at least gave you a few weeks to a month to spend it now, after which point it would obviously be all on you if you let it sit and expire again.

And I'd absolutely bring up wanting to buy an Xbox one. Like, "I was planning on buying one in (whatever time period you were thinking) and using that balance on games and DLC I wanted."

It gives them some financial incentive to help you out.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    bowen wrote: »
    If you purchased the point cards via credit card, you can call up your bank and do a charge back. I can't imagine that kind of shit would hold water legally.

"You spent $165 of your own money, but... well I don't care, we're going to expire those point cards"

Your other option outside of credit card charge back would be to file a small claims court. If you've got proof it was on your account and a record you bought them, you can probably get them to refund you money back and be out maybe $40-60 of that $165.

Be aware that if you do a chargeback, Microsoft may very well react by shutting down your account.

• Options
    I'm calling again. Trying to be as nice and reasonable as possible but these guys seem to have absolutely no clue what I'm even talking about.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Not everyone is going to agree with this advice, but complain on twitter. If you can @the company and hashtag support, don't be belligerent but be disappointed. For bigger companies, protecting their image on social media is a high priority, and sometimes if you reach out that way you'll get a faster path to someone who wants to fix your problem, especially if a lot of people agree. I've gotten a better response on twitter when it comes to Airline support. the 165 means more to you than it does to the people who monitor their social media wellness, so it can be rather effective.

As a person who works in support, I hate this advice. As a consumer, though, I think its a valid avenue.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Pure Din wrote: »
    Have you tried calling your state attorney general office? Perhaps there are consumer protection laws that could help you.

This is the next step if microsoft wont play ball. The AG may not do anything specific for you directly, but if enough complaints come in they definitely will do something.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Echo wrote: »

Be aware that if you do a chargeback, Microsoft may very well react by shutting down your account.

Doing a chargeback from two years ago is gonna be feat. I think most banks, even the super friendly ones, will tell you to fuck off at that point.

I think the PR route is probably the correct course to take on this while submitting complaints with the BBB and AG's offices.

Edit: Dur, AG not DA.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Echo wrote: »

Doing a chargeback from two years ago is gonna be feat. I think most banks, even the super friendly ones, will tell you to fuck off at that point.

I think the PR route is probably the correct course to take on this while submitting complaints with the BBB and AG's offices.

Edit: Dur, AG not DA.

They can go back further than they usuaaly do if it fits within certain constraints, such as a plane ticket that hasn't been used yet but the airline refuses to refund.

It could certainly be possible to do a chargeback based on the terms changing, with no real way to opt out, even after the normal chargeback time period has passed. It will probably take a higher level manager or even VP to authorize the attempt though. That means having money and/or influence within the bank though, and someone with that generally won't worry over pocket change like $200

Veevee on
  • Options
    They say their system is down so they can't look into anything now (lol) and will call me back. This tech was nice enough but that wasn't exactly super helpful, yet. Hopefully the callback does something useful.

• Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    Try the twitter method next week on Monday after reaching out to them.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    It is worth exploring the chargeback option, but 1) your CC may eat a sizable portion of the $165 to do it and 2) given the time involved, they may simply refuse. Also microsoft will certainly lock/ban your account if you go that route.

and yeah, my understanding is that the 'promotional' currency shouldn't expire for another six months or so; I have six bucks or something still sitting in my account that they've been sending me email notifications about using. Are your funds actually gone, or are you just upset about the new expiration?

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    My funds are gone. They said they had been emailing me about it expiring, but I've never seen these emails so who knows.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Chargeback almost certainly isn't possible. Back when I used to work at a back the time limit was 90 days from when you received the statement. There were exceptions, but usually only for things that were time-delayed, like plane tickets or paying for future services. Also sometimes for certain fraud. You paid for points cards, and then got those cards. As far as the CC company is concerned you got what you paid for.

I would also recommend twitter. The xbox twitter support team is a separate team from the phone support, and staffed by generally competent people.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    @Karrmer‌

You should absolutely tweet to @xboxsupport

Tell them vowels sent you.

There is someone there right now who knows about your problem and wants to help.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Welp I gave tweeting them a shot, thanks Aioua :)

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    if nothing else, you can look up your transaction history (commerce.microsoft.com) and see precisely when your currency was transitioned and when it expired, and figure out whether there is an error. In my case, I last added points back in february of 2013, they migrated in march 2014, and I assume they're supposed to be there until at least next spring. So if there's been some system error, you might be able to identify it.

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    NoizlanifNoizlanif MMO-Whore Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    For any Visa / Mastercard chargebacks, you would be outside the timeframe (120 Calendar days) for any bank to dispute. Per the rules that Govern Reg E, most banks will only dispute transactions within 60 days from the date of your last statement cutoff going backwards. I mean you can try that method, chances are any claim you file will be denied though. You are better off pestering them.

Noizlanif on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Karrmer wrote: »
    He literally said "my boss doesn't take phone calls." This is just the second guy up, the supervisor of whoever I talked to first. The guy was a complete asshole and just smugly repeated "Sorry, you accepted the new terms, there is nothing we will do for you."

This really has me pretty pissed off, I was just looking at grabbing an Xbox One and was excited to finally have something to use this money on.

I did purchase the cards with a credit card but most of them were years ago, I'm not sure if a charge back would be possible.

When you're talking to CSAs straight like that, then yes, that's true - the people on the phone literally cannot get you higher than their supervisors. I've worked as a CSA, this is the absolute truth and not that person bullshitting you.

However, one thing I always wished I could tell my customers (but was never allowed to) was that even though *I* cannot escalate above my supervisor, that doesn't mean that *you* can't do it. You can do an executive escalation.

The way you do that is by writing a calm and polite email explaining your situation to all of the executives you can find.

Here is The consumerist's list of Microsoft executive email addresses:

http://consumerist.com/2009/03/25/email-addresses-for-microsoft-executives/

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Aioua wrote: »
    @ Karrmer‌

You should absolutely tweet to @ xboxsupport

Tell them vowels sent you.

There is someone there right now who knows about your problem and wants to help.

Not only is this awesome but the nickname just played out perfectly in my head. "Vowels? Why are is Aioua calling themselves vow-oh."

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Microsoft has the most draconian billing policies of any company I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with. I know this post isn't exactly advice, but I feel your pain, TC.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    I won't buy an Xbox one because of their billing system. Literally took a month of calling 3-4 times a week to get them to cancel my reoccurring subscription and refund me the money for 3 months of service I didn't want and attempted to cancel on their shitty website.

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    To get a card removed from my Live account I had to cancel the fucking card. I'm not all dead set against ever owning a MS box again but fuck them if they think they're ever getting a credit card number.

The technical feasibility of removing it from your account is directly linked to the local laws regarding it. Some states have protections, some do not.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I specifically never connected my card to my account for subscription purposes because of the horror stories on these forums. After the whole hacking scandal with the PSN I moved to either buying points cards for any purchases or buying codes via Amazon for purchases.

• Options
    Well, Aioua's twitter friends seem to be living the dream because I have 200 dollars worth of credits back into my account now that expire next year.

I guess I'll be getting an Xbox One and remaining a customer after all.

• Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    To get a card removed from my Live account I had to cancel the fucking card. I'm not all dead set against ever owning a MS box again but fuck them if they think they're ever getting a credit card number.

The technical feasibility of removing it from your account is directly linked to the local laws regarding it. Some states have protections, some do not.

Odd, I just had to replace my card. Took me like. 3 seconds. Paypal was the one that was a pain in my ass.

But that was adding a new card and removing the old one... so I don't know if it is harder to remove all payment options completely. But I noticed they let me add paypal now which is kind of nice, no longer messing with any cards at all there and only in paypal is a better option as far as I'm concerned.

• Options

Odd, I just had to replace my card. Took me like. 3 seconds. Paypal was the one that was a pain in my ass.

But that was adding a new card and removing the old one... so I don't know if it is harder to remove all payment options completely. But I noticed they let me add paypal now which is kind of nice, no longer messing with any cards at all there and only in paypal is a better option as far as I'm concerned.

Yea, they'll let the old one go away as long as you give them a new one. This was in the wake of the hacking stuff flaring up so I decided I just didn't want my card attached to something with so little serious safeguards and such a big target on it's back. I had been using prepaid cards for it for a couple years by this point. When you are able to get codes instantly off of Amazon for points it isn't really a big deal to not have a card on file.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    You don't have to do a chargeback. I've had my bank call a company about something similar, and it was the weirdest 3 party call I've ever been on.

"hello this is <bank rep name> with Wells Fargo, we have a fraud complaint about item (x). Is there any statement you would like to make before we take this to the next level?"

"It's a year and a half old."

"We understand this, but we are more than happy to pursue this on behalf of our client (me) and see what Visa will do for us, and because we are worth a billion dollars to Visa chances are they will be happy to accommodate us over a $50 back charge."

I got my money back. You can ask your bank to advocate on your behalf in matters like this.

• Options
    so, how did this wind up getting resolved?

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Through the power of namedropping on twitter.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    zepherin wrote: »
    You don't have to do a chargeback. I've had my bank call a company about something similar, and it was the weirdest 3 party call I've ever been on.

"hello this is <bank rep name> with Wells Fargo, we have a fraud complaint about item (x). Is there any statement you would like to make before we take this to the next level?"

"It's a year and a half old."

"We understand this, but we are more than happy to pursue this on behalf of our client (me) and see what Visa will do for us, and because we are worth a billion dollars to Visa chances are they will be happy to accommodate us over a $50 back charge."

I got my money back. You can ask your bank to advocate on your behalf in matters like this.

FYI, your bank was (more than likely) bluffing as Visa/MC don't care if it's more than the 120 day limit and Wells Fargo needs them more than they need WF (How well do you think your debit card would work if it wasn't backed by Visa/MC?). Also, you're story is far from the norm as WF reps straight out laughed at me when I asked them about pursuing a transaction that was 6 months old. Of course my bank account was constantly at or near zero and I only gave them a little over $1000 in fees so why should they help me anyway.

Protip: Don't get on a Chexsystem report. It fucking sucks

• Options
    Final update: Xbox Global escalation team emailed me directly, apologized etc and also gave me 6 months of Xbox Live for free, which I didn't have currently.

So after calling and speaking to 6 people and multiple supervisors, not one showed the slightest bit of even fake empathy or any suggestions on where else to try to get a resolution, and all just said "sorry you agreed cya."

Xbox twitter people quickly responded, escalated me to this escalation team, and they gave me 200 dollars and 6 months of Live. They know how to do customer service.

I already now own an Xbox One and the Halo MCC because of them. It's a smart way to do business.

TLDR; if you ever have an issue, tweet. Don't ever call.

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Karrmer wrote: »

TLDR; if you ever have an issue, tweet. Don't ever call.

I wish I had seen this earlier. Working in a call center, doing customer service, I'm basically a barrier between customers and any kind of fair treatment. That's all I do is simple transactions that could be done online or listen to complaints and offer empty platitudes in return. If you want to call the corporate office, too bad. The website has my phone number and of course I don't have the number to corporate. My job is to basically divert those who are woefully behind the times. People who think the BBB still has any power are the same ones who have no idea what social media is, and those are the people I deal with all day.

If a mega corporation fucked you over, hop on Facebook, Twitter, or your favorite social media site. Then state your case in simple words while expressing your disappointment. "Hey xbox, you just stole a bunch of my money. That's not cool" You will get an answer and a resolution so much faster than a campaign of phone calling.