Options

[Doctor Who] Not an ending, but a mending

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Holy shit

the_first_doctor_adventures_sq_image_large.jpg

And yes, that fellow in the background with the suspiciously Simm-esque coat is exactly who you think it’s going to be.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Hard. As. A. Rock.

• Options
    Oh, audio adventures? I was hoping for a tv remake.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Oh, audio adventures? I was hoping for a tv remake.

I don't think the BBC is capable of something that obvious

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Well, they certainly haven’t been capable of taking advantage of the fact that Paul McGann is still around, still looking the same and even got a new costume only four years ago.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I want someone to do something involving 10, 11, and the war Doctor going into their past lives to individually recruit them to save galifrey. Magnificent 12.

Just having to explain to younger versions of themselves over and over and it getting somehow harder the farther back they go.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    We're not gonna get any more War Doctor stuff I don't think, John Hurt passed away a while back. :<

He did some rad audiobooks on his own though.

Also I dunno how likely it is, but it'd be awesome if Capaldi's last scene is him doing the "all thirteen!" scene from Day Of The Doctor. Same shot of him flipping the switch, eyebrows, then he finally regenerates.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
  • Options
    Butler wrote: »

Who is she again?

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    We're not gonna get any more War Doctor stuff I don't think, John Hurt passed away a while back. :<

He did some rad audiobooks on his own though.

Also I dunno how likely it is, but it'd be awesome if Capaldi's last scene is him doing the "all thirteen!" scene from Day Of The Doctor. Same shot of him flipping the switch, eyebrows, then he finally regenerates.

It could be a book and I'd be happy with it.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    I know it's The Sun, but this came up on my Facebook newsfeed. I'm not sure how relevant it is, but oh well.

Tom Baker seems to be recording a Shada audio, and he wore the hat and scarf while recording.

Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    So I... liked that finale, but I definitely do not understand
    what Bill and Heather are, exactly

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Um Alive? Basically the ship saved "them" or their souls and they exist as the ship and themselves. Heather can make them human again whenever they want but as they exist now they're basically a super Tardis energy being thing

King Riptor on
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Rad gal pals 5eva

Cyvros on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular

I think (reading between the lines some) that they're:
    Lesbians.

Probably turn back up.

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Lesbians.

Probably turn back up.

Nah I don't see any context for that at all

• Options
    HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Lesbians.

Probably turn back up.

Nah I don't see any context for that at all

Nope. None at all. Not that time-stoppy beautiful moment when they saw each other at the bar, none of the repeated statements of "You're not my type. No. Never.

Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    So on a whim I've been trying to get into Doctor Who. I'd seen a few snippets in the past (mostly from seasons 7 and 9 I think?), but now I'm just watching everything from season 5 on.

It's been mostly fun, but I have to say that I feel like at season 6 the seams are starting to show.
    Like, there are two different stories that share the structure of "a new sentient species is encountered but diplomatic efforts are thwarted when multiple women sequentially ruin everything by giving in to their selfish animilistic instincts". And they're both two-parters! That's almost a third of the season right there.

Also, I don't have a great sample size yet, but it really looks like minorities are hugely more likely to be portrayed as victims or villains. Mels in Let's Kill Hitler and the gay couple in the intro of A Good Man Goes to War being especially egregious examples. Although on the flip side the show demonstrates a general willingness to include women and black characters in historical scenarios rather than falling back on "historical accuracy" as an excuse for not doing so, which I do appreciate.

Plus they blew up the universe twice in two seasons, which is just plain lazy. I was really hoping that "aliens who can only be remembered while looking at them that have always lived among us" would be the main driver of the season arc, because that's a really neat gimmick, but they were largely discarded in favor of the "Amy's daughter destroys the universe" story which didn't really work for me.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Honestly, seasons 5-7 are some of my least favorite DW stuff. 1-4 and 8-10 are a lot better overall in my opinion.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Honestly, seasons 5-7 are some of my least favorite DW stuff. 1-4 and 8-10 are a lot better overall in my opinion.

I really dislike Matt Smith and would love to have an excuse to blame them on him, but honestly the writing and just generally the ideas they're working with seem to be mostly worse.

Though I really love the Van Gogh episode and there are a few others I like, it's mostly pretty dire.

• Options
    I don't think I dislike Matt Smith so much as I dislike how his Doctor was often written and the extremely stupid plots he had to navigate.

The Doctor's Wife is absolutely one of my favorite DW episodes of all time, for instance.

• Options
    Yeah Matt Smith was basically Troughton 2.0 and I can't have a problem with that.

• Options
    Series 11 rumours going round (they appear to start at the Mirror, so maybe 3 cups of salt with it) that in addition to the usual production shakeup of a new TARDIS desktop and screwdriver, we'll also be getting a new TARDIS exterior model aaand... a reduced episode order, with extended runtimes. So ten episodes at an hour each.

The set dressing stuff is business as usual, but the shorter series thing is rather interesting.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
  • Options
    Series 11 rumours going round (they appear to start at the Mirror, so maybe 3 cups of salt with it) that in addition to the usual production shakeup of a new TARDIS desktop and screwdriver, we'll also be getting a new TARDIS exterior model aaand... a reduced episode order, with extended runtimes. So ten episodes at an hour each.

The set dressing stuff is business as usual, but the shorter series thing is rather interesting.

I’m actually pretty into the idea of longer episodes. 45 minutes has often felt slightly too short, and the extra 15 should give enough room to properly flesh out some plots/characters. Plus, 10x60min gives us slightly more Doctor Who per series than 13x45.

• Options
    Ten episodes is my preferred number for essentially everything.

• Options

Yes. I will watch a "New" 4th Doctor story. Yes I will.

• Options

Yes. I will watch a "New" 4th Doctor story. Yes I will.

I don't care how many times or ways they release it*, I will also be there watching it.

* It really is a true Douglas Adams product, isn't it?

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    So here's a bit of unusual news.
    William Shatner, the star of the original Star Trek series, has inexplicably gotten hold of the script for Peter Capaldi and Steven Moffat’s last ever episode – the upcoming Christmas special – and is auctioning it off in an online charity. The actor – who is a Whovian – took to Twitter to announce that the highly coveted prize, which appears to have been signed by both Capaldi and Moffat, will go to the highest bidder in his 2017 Hollywood Charity Horse Show silent auction, which commences online this Sunday. Doctor Who fans round the world will be keen to get their hands on the script, but it will likely cost them a pretty penny. Plus, as Shatner confirmed in a later tweet, the highest bidder will have to wait until AFTER Christmas to claim their prize, so as to avoid the potential leak of spoilers.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Whaaaaaaaaat

• Options
    InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    Having met Capaldi at my local convention, he is really a genuine person who is very thankful to his fans. He may not be my favorite Doctor, but he is in my top five convention experiences

• Options
    edited October 2017
  • Options
    For people who can't see Twitter:

DMxdfRKW4AA2kJV.jpg
    Meet the 13th Doctor's new friends! Yasmin (Mandip Gill), Ryan (Tosin Cole), and Graham (Bradley Walsh)

Seems Thirteen is going to have a crowded TARDIS.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    please let one be an alien please let one be an alien please let

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    The one in gray is an alien!

• Options
    also confirmed is the shorter series order, but the rumoured increase to an hour per episode only seems to apply to the premiere :I
    In more exclusive news, it is confirmed that the new series will be a ten week run of fifty minute episodes in Autumn 2018, kicking off with a feature length hour for the opening launch.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I think 50min is a wee bit longer than before, only by 5min or so, but still.

I'm wondering where the regeneration is going to land, will it be at Christmas or in the first minutes of the new series, probably Christmas, but amazed that it hasn't been "confirmed" via leaks by now.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Rachel Talalay, director of the Xmas episode (and all of Capaldi's awesome finales...) mentioned something about filming that would appear to confirm one way or the other about the regeneration.
    can't seem to find it, but IIRC she was talking about a prop or harness or something that was required for both Capaldi and Whittaker. Implying the scene where he finally regenerates would happen with the Doctor falling or something, and that it is indeed happening at Xmas. ;D

Oh brilliant