As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who] Not an ending, but a mending

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Maybe there's something still in the can for SDCC. Maybe.

But that might be a long shot.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    I wonder when she actually goes and gets her ears pierced.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I think she might have regenerated with pierced ears?

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    And now for an actual short trailer

(Youtube when I can get it/it's on their channel)

Here we go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEc-OQ_oqDk

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    The Universe is Calling is a pretty clever tagline

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Running quota is still intact, it's definitely Doctor Who alright.

Now, when in October?

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    UuYaOOP.jpg

Yo that's a fuck ugly screwdriver. But! Mmmaybe peek at the new TARDIS console with those hexagons and big crystal lookin thing?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I am very curious about the new TARDIS design, we didn't even get a glimpse of it in that teaser.

• Options
    I am very curious about the new TARDIS design, we didn't even get a glimpse of it in that teaser.

It will probably match the sonic, so lots of silver and amber perhaps?

• Options
    Also I'm curious to see how her Doctor does "galaxy-tearing rage".

• Options
    Here's a proper look at the new sonic:

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    looks kinda like a severed finger to me

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Oh the amazon reviews for this are gonna be a ride

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    It feels more, I don’t know, Stargate or Farscape than Doctor Who to me. It’s already starting to grow on me.

Also, weird sitch with the toys: you’re going to get a different sonic in the US than in the UK because Seven20 (formerly Underground Toys, now presumably not a Parks and Rec reference) carries the US toy licence now. The Seven20 sonic looks like it might be more detailed and have more features than the Character Group sonic available in the UK. (Also, it sounds like Seven20 might be running a competing 5.5” figure line.)

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Which one are we more likely to get here?

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    You're right, it does look like some Goa'uld thing. Well I guess SG-1 has been off the air long enough they can crib from it a bit.

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Which one are we more likely to get here?

I have no idea tbh. I’d guess but it’d be just a guess. There’s a ridiculous delay in this stuff getting to Australia in any case. The 10” Thirteen figure is apparently going to get to Australia end of September while the UK release date is, like, three days from now.
    Coinage wrote: »
    You're right, it does look like some Goa'uld thing. Well I guess SG-1 has been off the air long enough they can crib from it a bit.

P sure a Rassilon-headed staff from the TV movie Eye of Harmony made it into the original Stargate film as a background prop, so... I mean... secret crossover?

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    It looks almost like the sonic has been dipped in a bunch of solder blobs/liquid metal. Reminds me of some of the props from StarGate: Atlantis.

• Options
    For reference, this is a Zak'nik'tel:

ZatGun-Open-transparent.png

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I have never seen a single second of Doctor Who but this new season looks fun and I may pick it up

Are the older new seasons on any streaming services in America?

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    The whole lot of the modern run is on Australian Netflix, not sure about the US.

• Options
    Prime has most of Newwho.
    I think everything but I own the capaldi run so Im not sure if thats all on it

• Options
  • Options
    so apparently earlier today the official Doctor Who Twitter account tweeted this

image.png

which was fairly quickly deleted and replaced with

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Hrm

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I was never a particular fan of River, but if she is conveniently missing for Whittaker's run, I'm going to be pretty disappointed.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Please never bring River back ever. Like, I get it, but please no, never. River Song is awful.

• Options
    I agree, but the writers seem to love her, so if she suddenly goes incognito, I hope people start asking why

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    They pretty thoroughly completed her story arc. So I don't know that I would expect her to come back.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Gustav wrote: »
    They pretty thoroughly completed her story arc. So I don't know that I would expect her to come back.

I've been fooled before.

• Options
    I dont think she'll be back anytime soon. Showrunners dont really bring back other showrunners characters.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular

There's how she popped up in The Name Of The Doctor.
    If she managed to pop up as a ghost outside of the Library's computer once, she could do it again.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    You could have a reasonably plausible in-universe explanation for any character in the series coming back, that doesn't mean you should.

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Please god no more River

Inventing a character whose whole deal is that they're a mystery that gets less interesting as more is revealed about them and the. Bringing them back constantly was a terrible idea

• Options
    yeah I don't want to see more River

she was supposed to be some weird combination of Catwoman, Indiana Jones, and Black Widow, and none of those roles worked on either the writing level or the actor's level

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

They did the start and the end fairly comprehensively, but we're still fairly light on middle for River's storyline.

Unfortunately, her Xmas episode last year kinda killed the chance for a non contrived story with her and the Thirteenth Doctor, as it was set at the very end of her life and reinforced that she only knew about the Doctor's original set of faces, no Capaldi or Whitaker.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Did someone say "more River"?
    The Sontaran Inquisition

“The manacles really aren’t necessary,” said River, jangling the chains that anchored the metal clasps to the table. “But if you must insist on restraints, I have some handcuffs in my bag that are much more comfortable.”

The Sontaran seated across from her slammed down his fists. River had deduced that this was his way of reminding himself who was in charge. He had been doing it a lot.

“Do not try my patience, female!” Jagras spat. “The list of your crimes against the Sontaran Empire is too long to list!”

Jagras proceeded to list River's crimes against the Sontaran Empire. River passed the time by humming Wagner’s Der Ring des Nibelungen under her breath.

“Now, Professor Song,” said Jagras eventually, “you will tell me everything I want to know.” With a smirk, he gestured towards the triple-locked plate steel door, the only exit from the cold and dingy room. “We are deep beneath the surface of Achilles-9. These terrancium mining tunnels have been abandoned for decades. No one will hear your screams. It may be decades more before anyone even finds your body. Whatever techniques you have learned for withstanding torture, I can either break them… or out wait them.”

Blunt as he was, Jagras had a point. River's pain tolerance was exceptional, but her tedium tolerance was dismal, especially compared to that of a Sontaran. She let her shoulders slump. “And if I give you what you want?”

“You will be tortured to death,” he replied affably, "slightly more quickly than if you had resisted.”

“Well, we’d better get on with it then. What do you want to know?”

Jagras clasped his four fingers together. “Approximately three hundred and nine hours ago, you and a female associate broke into a Sontaran weapons research facility on Achilles-7 and absconded with a rare and highly valuable orbital laser component - to wit, a Class 1 helix sapphire.”

“I don’t know anything about any break-ins,” said River. “But I do know that the only Class 1 helix sapphire in this arm of the galaxy is the Tear of the Ocean Mother. And that was stolen from its rightful owners, the Sisters of the Penultimate Phantom, just over four hundred hours ago.”

Jagras slammed his fists on the table. “How dare you insinuate that the Empire would deal in stolen artifacts! What outrageous slander! Sontaran agents have an impeccable record for integrity and ethical dealing throughout the criminal underworld!” Jagras took a moment to calm himself before continuing. “Regardless of the origins of the component, we know that you were responsible for this recent theft. We also know that the Tear of - that the helix sapphire is no longer in your possession.” He smiled triumphantly. “Your associate betrayed you. So much for the human concept of ‘honour among thieves’.”

River’s face was blank. “Not being a thief, I wouldn’t know.”

“Now you are attempting to hunt her down, no doubt seeking to retrieve the helix sapphire and exact retribution. Both admirable goals! Goals that the Sontaran Empire will be happy to fulfill on your behalf.”

River stared at him.

Jagras thumped the table. “Tell me her name! If you do not wish your demise to be excruciatingly prolonged, then tell me her name! And tell me why she has sought refuge on the fungus planet of Montra-Gannor!”

River’s eyes lit up. “Oh! Montra-Gannor, is it? I never would have guessed. My compliments to Sontaran reconnaissance, no flies on them!” She peered at Jagras. “But there is something on you. There, just above your left eye.”

“My face is without blemish!” Jagras snorted. “I won’t fall for your ridiculous lies!”

River shrugged. “See for yourself.” She slid a compact mirror across the table. To his credit, Jagras had the sense to open it away from his face, but it really was just a mirror.

The Sontaran squinted at his reflection in the tiny circle. “What is this pink mark?” He demanded.

“A kiss,” replied River as she retrieved her handbag from under the table. “I’m going out on a limb and guessing it was your first. What a pity you can’t remember it! Any more than you can remember which one of us is the prisoner.”

Jagras lifted his hand to wipe off the mark, but he couldn’t reach. The chain linking his manacles to the table was too short.

“This isn’t right,” he said stupidly, struggling to free himself. “You are the prisoner! I put these chains on you myself!”

“Now you’re imagining things.” River picked up the compact mirror and started reapplying her hallucinogenic lipstick. “Given your species, that would be impressive, if they weren’t exactly the things I told you to imagine.”

Jagras’ tiny face scrunched up. He was starting to remember. There had been an ambush, and one person had subdued another. But which one of them was he?

“It wasn’t all lies,” River went on. “We really are deep beneath the surface of Achilles-9. These terrancium mining tunnels really have been abandoned for decades.” She leaned in close to whisper in his ear. “And there really is no one to hear your screams.”

Jagras struggled harder. “I demand that you release me at once!”

River straightened up and slung the strap of her handbag over her shoulder, putting the lipstick and mirror away. “I don’t think so. And I won’t kill you or torture you, either. In fact, the moment I’m clear of your Empire’s stubby grasp, I’m sending your coordinates straight to Sontaran High Command.”

Jagras was aghast. “You cannot! They will know I was captured by a human female! The shame would be unbearable! I insist upon my right to be horrifically mutilated to the point of total organ failure!”

“Fine,” River sighed, “I won’t tell them. I’ll just leave you here to starve to death.”

Jagras sagged with relief. “Do you give me your word?”

“I give you my word. And I always keep my word.”

“Really?” The Sontaran looked up at her.

River patted his head fondly. “Of course not, you moron.”

Thirty seconds later, River was hurrying through the old mining tunnels in the direction of the Achilles-9 spaceport, Jagras' curses and threats fading away to inaudibility behind her. Without slowing, she retrieved a black-market ether-drill from her handbag and pulled up the spaceport's departure schedule on its screen. A few taps of her thumb added one of her less-used aliases to the crew list of the freighter Lord Dunsany, set to depart for Montra-Gannor in twenty-three minutes.

River smiled. The Lord Dunsany belonged to an old flame of hers, Captain Jian. And if he played his cards right, this time she’d let him keep it.

The End

• Options
  • Options
    wow, really? that's surprising, and pretty sad that it took this long.