As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Assassin's Creed: Origins - out now!

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    After all the stuff they spoiled before Unity was released it blows my mind that Ubi just kept a lid on this secret stuff. It's so worth it.

I guess I should spoil this since it's in the context of the hidden stuff:
    The secret sequence makes me more convinced than ever that they can actually pull WWII off. Syndicate in GENERAL has made me more convinced. It's one of those things that, yeah, everyone thinks it's played out and boring but... nah. I'm ready for it. I'm ready for Assassin's Creed: Allies now. I wasn't a few years ago. My opinion has shifted. Give me grandkid Frye killing Nazis from grappling lines.
    Hell, if guitar games can see a revival, why not WWII? And the fatigue was mostly focused on FPS games, anyway.

Well, here's the other thing that's been on my mind about where this game series is inevitably heading toward:
    The last four years of games have all focused on three areas of the world: America, France, and England.
    The last two games have directly teased and tech-tested employing more modern-day technology in the Assassin's Creed environment.
    The last game directly makes the implication of Assassins joining the Allies in fighting on the European front.
    The last game has also proven that multi-character gameplay is not only doable, but outstanding with the right characters and writing.

If you factor all these elements together with both gameplay and story, it's pretty obvious where this is going. The only question I have is, will they have the balls to just flat-out make it the descendants of Connor, Aveline, and Arno along with who we just met in this game. Because it would be genius, and it would give the last four years of AC a meaningful correlation.
    the only trouble with this is that a WWII assassin's creed game is an incredibly terrible idea

It all depends on where/how it's set.

For example, put it in Berlin itself. You can have missions killing Nazis, and then taking advantage of allied bombing to hide the bodies and make it look like that was the cause of death. You have a beautiful city that gets systematically destroyed as the game goes on. You can take advantage of the work done for Unity and Syndicate, and have the game start off in London, move to Berlin, but have a mid-game set piece in Paris.

Fighting through the final days of the war in Berlin, trying to recover the Spear of Destiny piece of Eden before Stalin's forces do, sounds pretty awesome.
    I maintain that if you do a WW2 AC it should be set in some of the less common battlefields

My favorite idea tends to be to do a Vichy France game, with you hanging out with Jean-Paul Sartre

But there could also be some interesting stuff if you got involved in, say, the Sicilian war efforts, which is all tied in through American connections to the Mafia

Or like, just do it in North Africa

I feel like those settings are atypical enough that they could support an Assassin's Creed game and not turn it into an all out war game
    consider that, in ac canon, hitler fdr churchill and stalin were all templars who engineered ww2 to consolidate their control

But, you may notice Italy and Japan are not in on it

So the assassins support italian fascism and lose in North Africa
    I did not know that!

From the sounds of things then France isn't in on it either, so my suggestion of Vichy French Resistance is still the best

I just want to hang out in coffee shops with Sartre and Camus

And like also murder some dudes

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Yeah spoilers for the Syndicate secret sequence and some of the AC2 glyphs
    Churchill was definitely a Templar
    Or maybe just manipulated by them but I'm pretty sure he was one
    So it's weird that he's apparently aware of and happy to help the Assassins during WWI, specifically against Templar spies even!

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Yeah spoilers for the Syndicate secret sequence and some of the AC2 glyphs
    Churchill was definitely a Templar
    Or maybe just manipulated by them but I'm pretty sure he was one
    So it's weird that he's apparently aware of and happy to help the Assassins during WWI, specifically against Templar spies even!
    the templars have long been happy to use the assassins as tools

And they have a reason for wanting to eliminate that particular templar cell

Though winston may not have even joined the order by 1916

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Secret Sequence
    Um

Holy shit, yes please

I'm only a few minutes into it but I already love Lydia and this setting

Can we get a trilogy with her, WW1, WW2, and I guess something in the 50s?

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    my greatest hope following the secret sequence
    Assassin's Creed Berlin 1967

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I know I'm a bit behind, but that mission to take out the doctor in the asylum was delightful.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I got to the secret sequence. Goty.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    Okay

Every single part of Sequence 7 is delightful

This is how you are supposed to make Assassin's Creed games.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Just conquered the last borough and then maxed out my loyalty with Ned Wynert and Robert Topping. Now I've got the best melee weapons, best gauntlet, best gun. Collecting all the beer bottles gives you the best belt.

• Options
    Just finished the secret sequence
    I was wondering if sages were going to come back into play

Also on that note, can someone catch me up on Unity's plot? Specifically, anything that might be relevant to the modern story. They seem to imply that there's a Sage in Unity, which piques my interest (not enough to actually play it, though)

• Options
    Just finished the secret sequence
    I was wondering if sages were going to come back into play

Also on that note, can someone catch me up on Unity's plot? Specifically, anything that might be relevant to the modern story. They seem to imply that there's a Sage in Unity, which piques my interest (not enough to actually play it, though)

Unity spoilers
    the villain of the game is francois-thomas germain, a sage. He started the French revolution so he could replace aristocracy with capitalism

Also jacques de molay was a sage

Also abstergo has been looking for sages in history to dig up their bones to sequence precursor dna in hope of getting memories of eden

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
  • Options
    I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    Also on that note, can someone catch me up on Unity's plot?

No

Not really

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Hoping they do a patch soon for the train safe

It'll say it's full but I'll only get 8800 from it, despite getting 21400 from it previously

I also wish there were a better way to check when your safe is full instead of waiting for the pop-up, because sometimes I'm looking away from the screen when I'm foruming and stuff

• Options
    http://gfycat.com/AltruisticLightheartedGiantschnauzer

Are the animators at ubisoft all right

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    See

Imagine if the Fryes were cackling sadists in cutscenes, how much better those animations would play

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    See

Imagine if the Fryes were cackling sadists in cutscenes, how much better those animations would play

Jacob isn't already?

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I'm in sequence 6 now and uh

It seems a weird thing, but it feels like Jacob is...jealous of his sister and Henry?

Like I could totally understand him just poking fun at her in cutscenes, like he does

But then he's on missions by himself and says things to himself under his breath about it

• Options
    Hobnail wrote: »
    See

Don't worry, I do enough cackling for the both of them

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Just finished this!
    Great success

I'd say it's probably as good as Black Flag, and I liked that one a lot a lot a lot
    It's also probably the most overall lighthearted story of... probably any of the games so far?

You did a good job, guys

Grey Ghost on
  • Options

Holy shit I never got this one

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I'm starting to get double and triple kills now.

Yeah, yeah okay good job with some of these finishers, Ubisoft.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I hope that all of the future Assassin's Creed games use a double protagonist model.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I basically never get multikill finishers outside the fight clubs. They are way too janky.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I'm starting to get double and triple kills now.

Yeah, yeah okay good job with some of these finishers, Ubisoft.

Oh

Oh my

Oh my God

Oh my God that poor man

Evie no please stop

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    The deeper I get into this, the more I dislike Jacob

Sequence 6 spoilers
    You don't get to blow off the near collapse of England's currency with "Nearly", man! That's a big deal! Think before you act, you colossal dumbass!

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    The deeper I get into this, the more I dislike Jacob

Sequence 6 spoilers
    You don't get to blow off the near collapse of England's currency with "Nearly", man! That's a big deal! Think before you act, you colossal dumbass!

I feel like Jacob and Evie were deliberately designed to appeal to different portions of the potential playerbase.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    I think this was my favorite post-kill conversation with a target

(End of Sequence 7 spoilers I guess)
    Because he just will not shut up

• Options
    edited November 2015
    I'm in sequence 6 now and uh

It seems a weird thing, but it feels like Jacob is...jealous of his sister and Henry?

Like I could totally understand him just poking fun at her in cutscenes, like he does

But then he's on missions by himself and says things to himself under his breath about it

Yes, he is jealous of evie

He must feel so much delight at finally getting to use dad's words against her, for once

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I wouldn't know because I never play as Jacob unless it's required.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    I like Jacob a lot more than I was expecting to

He would be bad as a solo protagonist but he's a good foil for evie

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    It seems like they intentionally made Jacob shittier to play as by giving him all the frustrating objectives in the game

Avoiding all the sniper's bullets

Not getting hit during the gatling gun mission

That one infuriating tailing mission in sequence 6

All Jacob

• Options
    I like Jacob a lot more than I was expecting to

He would be bad as a solo protagonist but he's a good foil for evie

Oh, he is

But part of that is definitely him being a dumbass

• Options
    edited November 2015
    I mean this in 100% sincerity that I favor Jacob because of the way he talks to horses

"You are!"

I'm An Elk; Shoot Me on
  • Options
    Add "do not get detected by thugs in the slum" to the list of annoying Jacob objectives

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    I basically ignore the bonus objectives unless they look like they'd be fun to do. The full sync rewards are pretty paltry.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I'm playing around with the idea of getting Platinum in this, so I'm trying to make sure I get full sync

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I'm playing around with the idea of getting Platinum in this, so I'm trying to make sure I get full sync

You only need full sync on main sequence missions for the Plat, if that helps

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular

Am I bad for laughing uproariously at this?

This discussion has been closed.