As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Valkyria Chronicles] You Got Your RPG in my World War 2 - VC4 on PC Sept 25!

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    I know Vyse and Hannes were among the better shocktroopers, but Lynn/Jane4lyfe dawg. :) And yeah, Audrey is the only Lancer you'll ever need besides Largo.

Was gonna let Cezary be run over by the megatank for the "dying" achievement. As he gets rolled out like pizza dough he lets out a whimper that I must take care of Oscar. Huh? Taking a look at the rooster...
    Well shit.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    For as terrible as the story and random item drop elements of VC2 were, it really did a lot to improve the overall gameplay balance.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »
    I know Vyse and Hannes were among the better shocktroopers, but Lynn/Jane4lyfe dawg. :) And yeah, Audrey is the only Lancer you'll ever need besides Largo.

Was gonna let Cezary be run over by the megatank for the "dying" achievement. As he gets rolled out like pizza dough he lets out a whimper that I must take care of Oscar. Huh? Taking a look at the rooster...
    Well shit.

Do you mean Emile? He's Oscar's brother. Cezary is the racist asshole who is also a useless sniper on top of that, and so was custom made for that achievement.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »

Lynn is a great high mobility and very tanky Shocktrooper. She can get a second action and/or a full heal. She also spots as well as Scouts and is mine resistant. She's like a Scout-Trooper hybrid and is great.

Vyse has two attack boosters, the ability to make his attacks complete undogeable, and the ability to fully attack twice. Add those on top of Order boosters and he has enough killing power to take out a god.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    But I can't stop using Catherine, she's not done yet.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    That patch is a mod, not official, right?

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    But I can't stop using Catherine, she's not done yet.

Catherine's pretty decent, but...

Stat and skill wise Marina and Emile make the best snipers. The former for perching in a high stationary spot by themselves and covering most of the battlefield. The later with a companion and being a mobile sniper that's also really good at taking out other enemy snipers.

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    That patch is a mod, not official, right?

Yes

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Maddoc wrote: »
    For as terrible as the story and random item drop elements of VC2 were, it really did a lot to improve the overall gameplay balance.

Unless you're a Phantasy Star fan. Nothing in VC1 gets remotely as dumb as Emilia. Two potentials to boost all stats, another that boosts offense, and no dodging. Just completely ignores gimmicks and can easily kill things everyone else does single digit damage against.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    VC's character balance is pretty great. There are clearly example of elites and turds in every class. But you can still use whoever the hell you want and the game is perfectly fine.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Yeah, you can snap the game in half with the right combination of orders, even on characters with garbage stats and potentials, so I just roll out whoever I like the most.

Only objectively bad people don't field Jann at some point. Objectively.

In tangentally related news I tend to have the worst luck trying to A-rank. The incoming bullets, no problem; the fuel tank I forgot I was standing next to, sliiiiightly more of an issue :redface:

Edit:
    C2B wrote: »

Fuck. Yes. I was wondering when modders would start doing proper work on VC. I would pay DLC money for a campaign editor, like with old RTS games.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    So, I've been replaying VC since it came out on Steam (played it first on a friend's playstation). I haven't read anything about it, but has there been any talk about porting the other VCs to PC?

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    So, I've been replaying VC since it came out on Steam (played it first on a friend's playstation). I haven't read anything about it, but has there been any talk about porting the other VCs to PC?

Not at the moment, although at this point I wouldn't rule it out completely. Of the two, VC3's the least likely since it never got a proper localization in the first place.

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Balancing is nice, but I don't want a game completely balanced. One of the more fun aspects of VC1 is to try people out and find the Marinas and Vyses of the group, some of which may not show up until later. I like a game where if you spend enough time learning the rules, you can exploit the shit out of it if you're so inclined.

Sadly while I think VC2 tried to balance it better, the diversity and randomness it tried to add just hurt the gameplay. The whole drum and bugle corp class made me scratch my head, snipers being an advanced class sucked, and fencers felt out of place... like 'drive closer, I want to hit it with my sword' out of place. This is of course compounded by the promotion system being ass, but it's only a portion of the issue.

I could go on all day explaining VC2's flaws, but it's an old argument now. Now I just want Sega to give the IP and the CANVAS engine to another dev and start the series over.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Stolls wrote: »
    Yeah, you can snap the game in half with the right combination of orders, even on characters with garbage stats and potentials, so I just roll out whoever I like the most.

Only objectively bad people don't field Jann at some point. Objectively.

In tangentally related news I tend to have the worst luck trying to A-rank. The incoming bullets, no problem; the fuel tank I forgot I was standing next to, sliiiiightly more of an issue :redface:

Edit:
    C2B wrote: »

Fuck. Yes. I was wondering when modders would start doing proper work on VC. I would pay DLC money for a campaign editor, like with old RTS games.

This rebalance mod is exactly what I've been looking for. If it changes the punishing turn limit needed to get higher ranks to something that rewards non-insane rule-exploiting gameplay then I'm going to be very happy.

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    It needs to. Doesn't seem like rushing is the tactic to go with anymore.

Anyone tried the mod out yet?

C2B on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Playing with the mod right now.

I'm enjoying it so far, even if it is kicking my teeth in. I basically have to unlearn and then relearn everything. Which is pretty awesome.

No joke, the second or third mission (the one that has Welkin and Alicia escaping from a tank) took me so many tries!

I've been practicing in Skirmish mode and so far I can say with confidence that rushing is not at all something you want to try. The enemy will rip apart anyone who ventures too far ahead. On the flip side same applies to the enemy.

Moving from cover to cover in short hops, using the tank as mobile cover, keeping the squad together (but not too together) seems to be the order of the day so far. Enemy tanks are super bad news for your infantry too.

I haven't played enough yet to get a real solid feel on things, but so far I am liking the changes.

edit- Oh and the mod itself actually comes with the original game files it edits in a nice little backup folder so you don't have to manually backup all those files yourself.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Some random things about the mod I've gathered while playing it.

The increased movement range for everyone (minus scouts/engineers?) is nice. My current strategy is moving people together in pairs so having my Lancers and such able to keep up is a Godsend.

Shocktroopers have a wider interception range (still the same engagement distance AFAIK). So they actually shoot at people who are slightly to the left or right now instead of ignoring them while their scout buddy shoots.

The mod is designed around 60fps, but 30fps will be fine. Anything higher than 60 might cause problems, just FYI.

Engineers have their own anti-tank grenades they can get. Seeing how tanks are a lot more of an "OH SHIT" factor this go around having some extra AT is nice.

Lancers are more accurate overall. You're unlikely to miss a tank at close range. Hell, I was able to hit an infantry dude a hundred or so feet away with a Lancer (granted it was still a waste of a rocket, but eh :razz: ).

Potentials chance to trigger is much increased. From what I understand most of them are at or near 100% chance. It actually really makes me think about who to bring for each mission.

Extra CP is no longer tied to having Alicia, Largo, or Rosie on the field. THEY DO NEED TO STAY IN THE SQUAD FOR THE BONUS CP, you just don't have to field them on missions. Downside to this is that if you do field them and they die it can really screw you later on so just keep that in mind.

I've played a lot of VC over the years, but I got to say this mod has made things hard. It doesn't feel unfair (at least not yet), but man you have to be patient and make smart choices. I can already tell that I'm probably going to actually loose a few people this go around.

If you like numbers and such the FULL PATCH NOTES can be found here. It has tables for all the stat changes.

Time will tell how I'll ultimately feel about the mod (currently thumbs up), but it did make me start replaying VC again and that is never a bad thing. :biggrin:

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Oh god this is all music to my ears.

Yes. Hurt me more, Valkyria Chronicles.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Sega is Making a New Valkyria Chronicles for PS4.
    Besides Valkyria IV, Sega is also working on bringing the first game, Valkyria Chronicles, to the PS4.

The new Valkyria will be following the last game in the series, the Japan-only Valkyria Chronicles III, which was released for the PSP in 2011. Announced in the currently unreleased, latest issue of Famitsu, it bears the subtitle “Valkyria of the Blue Revolution.” There is no release date mentioned for either the new game or the Valkyria Chronicles remaster—only the fact that they’re both in development for PS4.

English localised versions? Pleeeeeease?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    You're lying and I refuse to get my hopes up. Can't hit rock bottom if you already live there. :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    With how fucking outstanding VC3 is, I hope it gets an HD and western treatment someday for the people that are adverse to playing fan translations.

I love playing it on my Vita.

• Options
    klemming wrote: »
    Besides Valkyria IV, Sega is also working on bringing the first game, Valkyria Chronicles, to the PS4.

The new Valkyria will be following the last game in the series, the Japan-only Valkyria Chronicles III, which was released for the PSP in 2011. Announced in the currently unreleased, latest issue of Famitsu, it bears the subtitle “Valkyria of the Blue Revolution.” There is no release date mentioned for either the new game or the Valkyria Chronicles remaster—only the fact that they’re both in development for PS4.

Kinda hoping this is due to Atlus giving them those pointers on how to succeed in the West. Despite how oddly simple it seems to us, it's different enough from older Eastern corporate policy to be hard for some to follow. Also kinda hoping the localization is given to Atlus to work out, as this project will probably be started shortly after Persona 5 gets released everywhere, and they'll be ready for busy work.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

Sure, keep on pouring salt on that wound.
    I'm kidding.
    No I'm not.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    First Dragon Quest and now Valkyria Chronicles? Apparently I've been a very good boy this year, Santa.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular

I will buy the heck out of this.

26904.png
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Blue Revolution isn't even a srpgsrsrsd.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Quiotu wrote: »

Kinda hoping this is due to Atlus giving them those pointers on how to succeed in the West. Despite how oddly simple it seems to us, it's different enough from older Eastern corporate policy to be hard for some to follow. Also kinda hoping the localization is given to Atlus to work out, as this project will probably be started shortly after Persona 5 gets released everywhere, and they'll be ready for busy work.

What pointers were those?
    PLA wrote: »

Did you have a stroke at the end of your post? I don't know that acronym.

For me, it doesn't matter if they make VC4 if they never localize VC3. Gotta play them in order.

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular

For me, it doesn't matter if they make VC4 if they never localize VC3. Gotta play them in order.

"VC4" isn't VC4 though, it sounds like it's kind of its own thing with references/elements of the VC games.

• Options

I think he was saying it's not an srpg like the others?

Which would fit nicely with my opinion of SEGA's competence really.

• Options
    So beings that will transform into tanks?
    Warpath will be in the game?

Also add me to the bummed crowd that this won't be the same as the previous VC games. Given that it is going to be more RPG like will mean it will more likely be brought over right?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Ahahahahaha. SEGA, remember? Hope for and do not expect localization is the rule :(.

• Options

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/07/07/sega-learned-about-making-quality-games-from-atlus-aim-to-regain-trust-from-players/

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Ahahahahaha. SEGA, remember? Hope for and do not expect localization is the rule :(.

Yeah I know. :bigfrown:

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular

It's not VC4, it's a new universe.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    The title isn't "Valkyria Chronicles".

• Options
    edited November 2015

Do you have a link to that? (or some additional sources?) Everything that I can find about it seems to suggest the same world but different countries (maybe a different time?), but admittedly, the news articles that I've found are little more than blurbs.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options

Do you have a link to that? (or some additional sources?) Everything that I can find about it seems to suggest the same world but different countries (maybe a different time?), but admittedly, the news articles that I've found are little more than blurbs.

Sounds clear that it's a different world.

• Options
    That link isn't loading for me. :(