As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Far Cry New Dawn - The MOST realistic premise ever

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Yeah I played a couple hours yesterday (haven't spent much time with it because of dragon age) and I am really liking this game.

The Yogi missions are great so far. I've met people exactly like that.
    Though none of them ever dosed me with magic see-through-walls drugs.
    I really like the characters I've met so far, though Gold Path Lady's nagging complements ("nice job freeing those slaves, BUT IT'S NOT ENOUGH AH-JEY!") are kind of annoying.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Just bought it last night (PC version) but have been unable to play. Tried starting a new game four times and it just crashes/closes the game and brings me back to Uplay.

Bah. Don't know what could be wrong, I could run Far Cry 3 fine.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Two things to say:

1) The save system fucking sucks. I swear it's worse than Far Cry 3. I remember Far Cry 3 saving progress such as items and cash and whatnot when you reach a new checkpoint in any mission. Not here! I did one of the Golden Path supply (parachute icon) missions and collected and gathered a bunch of stuff before getting to the second drop and dying stupidly. Well, I had a new checkpoint but none of the stuff I collected had saved! At least 25 minutes of work!

2) Elephants control better than every car. Wtf?

Other than that, I love it.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Trace wrote: »

Err....are you making fun of Ubisoft for outing people who pirated their game?

As much as I hate Ubisoft's policy on DRM, I thought that was super funny.

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    I'm just saying, if Far Cry 6 is just another modern animal explosion sandbox, I'll be disappointed. They need to go weirder. Fantasy setting. Sci-fi. Something.

• Options
    I'm just saying, if Far Cry 6 is just another modern animal explosion sandbox, I'll be disappointed. They need to go weirder. Fantasy setting. Sci-fi. Something.

Next one should take place in Manhattan. Outposts could be like the Chrysler Building, Empire State Building, Central Park North, Columbus Circle, etc.

Think of the ziplines.

There should also be lasers and laser elephants and laser rocket elephants and laser rocket flying hover cyborg elephants.

• Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    Anyone else having any issues with the interact button(square on PS4)? It's been a chore to loot bodies or use the grapnel because the acceptable use box seems to be overly small/sensitive.

3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Two things to say:

1) The save system fucking sucks. I swear it's worse than Far Cry 3. I remember Far Cry 3 saving progress such as items and cash and whatnot when you reach a new checkpoint in any mission. Not here! I did one of the Golden Path supply (parachute icon) missions and collected and gathered a bunch of stuff before getting to the second drop and dying stupidly. Well, I had a new checkpoint but none of the stuff I collected had saved! At least 25 minutes of work!

2) Elephants control better than every car. Wtf?

Other than that, I love it.

Yeah the save system is fucked up. I lost an hour or two of collecting stuff last night.

• Options
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Anyone else having any issues with the interact button(square on PS4)? It's been a chore to loot bodies or use the grapnel because the acceptable use box seems to be overly small/sensitive.

Yes - on PC with an Xbox 360 controller. It seems slightly worse than it was in Far Cry 3 (which I also played on the PC).

• Options
    Also, the game flat out froze my entire computer. I had to hold the power button for 4 seconds to get outta that one. Lost some progress from that too.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I don't want another Blood Dragon, but I am definitely up for them to try again (and hopefully succeed this time) with a mini-Far Cry

I feel like I've played so much Far Cry 4 at this point and I look at the map and it's like...I've barely made a dent. I've only done six radio towers, and I've already been playing nearly 15 hours

I'm not complaining, mind, far from it, I love that there's a bunch of content in here and nearly all of it is good, I just definitely dig the idea of bite-sized Far Cry

Well that's one opinion.

I just want Blood Dragon 2: 80's Harder!

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Man the second Hurk mission where you ride the elephant? Holy shit I almost got killed because I was laughing too hard.

I do have to say outpost attacks get bothersome fast. Like when I'm fast traveling to get something and I get like 5 feet from the outpost and they get attacked? STOP SUCKING OUTPOSTS! Thank god you can stop that shit from happening.

Also grinding the arena for the bushmaster was kind of annoying, I might even swap back to the trooper as the bushmaster tends to waste more ammo than I need.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Last time an outpost got attacked I just left, everything seemed fine.

• Options
    Yeah I don't think they can get retaken, though you do get a passive aggressive radio call. I'm sad Pagan Min doesn't call you more often his messages are hilarious. Like the one about the Candles.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I'm fine if we don't get a Blood Dragon 2 (though I would certainly love the hell out of that) as long as whatever expansion they come up with is just as crazy and different as BD was.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    You know, as much as people hated him, Jason Brody still had a character arc.

Ajay doesn't really seem to.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Casting my vote for Far Cry: Australia. Jungles, deserts, bogans, holdens, a shitty interpretation of dreamtime, clockspiders, VeeBee, give me all of it.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

Good!

• Options
    Yeah I don't really need a character arc if my choice is either blank check or Brody. Besides I like the idea of "yeah sure whatever."

I did have a funny moment this morning of accepting a bomb mission, when the golden path person was supposed to tell me why he got killed by an eagle, but my character still said my part of the dialogue.

So it went like.

"Why am I doing this?"

"SHIT EAGLE AHHHH."

"Yeah sure whatever."

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    emnmnme wrote: »

Good!

No, that's literally the opposite of that.

Character's need to evolve and develop as the plot does. This is why Luke goes from a farmer to a knight to a master, instead of just being a knight for three movies.

• Options
    Clearly AJ was a serial killer before arriving in Kyrat. The radio DJ between bits about wanting to be a serial pooper and his problem with "undesirable" as a term mentions as much.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Far Cry could have a collection of magical floating guns as the "character" and I'd still be in.

firewaterword on
  • Options
    Far Cry Antartica.

I want to see how they turn seals into hardened killers.

(also more snow)

• Options
    TrustTrust Registered User regular
    Far Cry Chernobyl... maybe I just want a spiritual successor to Stalker.

We Stand Ready
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    Clearly AJ was a serial killer before arriving in Kyrat. The radio DJ between bits about wanting to be a serial pooper and his problem with "undesirable" as a term mentions as much.

It explains everything.
    Far Cry could have a collection of magical floating guns as the "character" and I'd still be in.

Yeah, just why have the main character have a voice actor if the game doesn't use it for any real character development.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    A more fantasy based expansion parodying sword and sorcery/more medieveal worlds like TES could be fun. The bow would go well with that.

Of course they would have to explain the guns somehow since they can't just throw away 90% of the weaponry. Make them out of magical oak that shoots mana bullets? I got no idea.

That or they can just say fuck it and not bother explaining the guns like BL2: Dragon Keep. That works too.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    A more fantasy based expansion parodying sword and sorcery/more medieveal worlds like TES could be fun. The bow would go well with that.

Of course they would have to explain the guns somehow since they can't just throw away 90% of the weaponry. Make them out of magical oak that shoots mana bullets? I got no idea.

That or they can just say fuck it and not bother explaining the guns like BL2: Dragon Keep. That works too.

Far Cry: Evil Dead.

• Options

Groovy

• Options
    edited December 2014

Works for me.

Go with a really cheesey live action intro where a nerd gets sucked into his TV or something.

"You are the chosen one, Percy!"

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Good!

Character's need to evolve and develop as the plot does. This is why Luke goes from a farmer to a knight to a master, instead of just being a knight for three movies.

Far Cry 4 isn't trying to do the standard Hero's Journey. Ajay is really just trying to survive with a side of trying to learn what really happened to his parents in Kryat while other actors are in play. It's not really Ajay's story, it's the country's story and his parents' story which is perfectly fine. It could be done better by having other Golden Path members at last look like they're doing important things between plot missions (though I wouldn't be surprised if the leaders deciding Ajay is convenient work horse becomes a plot point since the player character being used by their faction seems to be a theme in Far Cry) but I kind of enjoy that the relatively new guy isn't suddenly the most important person in everyone's eyes. I wouldn't want it in every game, but it seems to fit here.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Make a wingsuit from skinning giant demon bats. Use a flamethrower on a werewolf. I'm in.

• Options

Good!

Far Cry 4 isn't trying to do the standard Hero's Journey. Ajay is really just trying to survive with a side of trying to learn what really happened to his parents in Kryat while other actors are in play. It's not really Ajay's story, it's the country's story and his parents' story which is perfectly fine. It could be done better by having other Golden Path members at last look like they're doing important things between plot missions (though I wouldn't be surprised if the leaders deciding Ajay is convenient work horse becomes a plot point since the player character being used by their faction seems to be a theme in Far Cry) but I kind of enjoy that the relatively new guy isn't suddenly the most important person in everyone's eyes. I wouldn't want it in every game, but it seems to fit here.

?

You can develop a character without the Hero's Journey, I just used Luke because he's one of the most famous and easy to demonstrate examples.

• Options
    I can't get the wing suit to work for me. I only use it to parachute because that's safer.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Fast travel system using trebuchets.

• Options
    And instead of syringes for health, you use an inhaler.

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    A STALKER game with the Far Cry engine would be nice, that's true.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Like I said before, I just want Farcry meets Monster Hunter.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Finally got Fary Cry 4 to work. Had to reinstall.
    Man, I really hope Pagan Min is my real father or something. Want him to teach me how to fork a guy.

• Options
    Alt ending spoiler:
    I really, really hope they put out DLC where Ah-Jey and Min go bro it up all over kyrat. Shoot some guns, molotov some wild life, show Min the error of his ways with the power of friendship, that sort of thing.

• Options
    See that's what makes me sad, I should be able to join up with Pagan. GARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pleasepaypreacher.net