As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Uber]: Disrupting Livery Service (And Ethics)

1757677787981»

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    It's not in that article, but I loved Ubers official response which was something like "Well that was all pre-2015, please ignore it, we're totally different now" lol.

They basically speedbumped Travis. Which was richly deserved, but doesn't answer the question of "are you still doing this shit?"

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    They are still benefitting from all that extremely illegal shit they did

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    They are still benefitting from all that extremely illegal shit they did

Yeah this. Like they cheated and broke the law to establish their current model.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I enjoyed their strident defenses of "Our Kill Switch policy is totally not obstruction of justice," when it appears it only happens when they are literally getting raided by the police in multiple jurisdictions for which company policy is literally stated as being "play stupid until we activate the kill switch."

Totally not obstruction.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    Paladin wrote: »
    I'm not sure what of this we didn't already know

Hard evidence as opposed to accusation, supposition, and deflection.

You're not wrong.

But at the same time I kinda feel like we all assumed all of the accusations and supposition were accurate and that the deflection was bullshit.

I mean, we also felt that way about, for example, what Snowden revealed.

Eh, I don't think there was a consensus about that like there was about the guy who was a founder of Uber and got kicked out because he was that big of a gaping asshole.

But even if there was?

Ok, absolutely. And then, like this, we stopped caring in about a week and a half because "shit we already thought was true turned out to be true" is about as interesting and memorable as a peer reviewed scientific paper that proves that water is indeed wet. Snowden very rapidly became a "haha, the dumbass is trapped in Russia" story.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

You're not wrong.

But at the same time I kinda feel like we all assumed all of the accusations and supposition were accurate and that the deflection was bullshit.

Eh, I don't think there was a consensus about that like there was about the guy who was a founder of Uber and got kicked out because he was that big of a gaping asshole.

But even if there was?

Ok, absolutely. And then, like this, we stopped caring in about a week and a half because "shit we already thought was true turned out to be true" is about as interesting and memorable as a peer reviewed scientific paper that proves that water is indeed wet. Snowden very rapidly became a "haha, the dumbass is trapped in Russia" story.

Agreed

• Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular

You're not wrong.

But even if there was?

Agreed

I don't agree, but for very different reasons. A LOT of things changed out of Snowden revelations (or more to the point probably, became extremely accelerated). It's incredibly common for people to have end-to-end encrypted messaginga, VPN tunnels are a fairly common thing now. Cell phones by default are now encrypted.

Like with this, everyone kind of thought they were doing it, but until someone leaked the scale and volume, no one would have possibly believed you. In this case, things like having the audacity to tell the US VP "every minute he's late is a minute he doesn't get with me".

I just hope that this leads to a LOT of quiet prosecutions of a ton of involved people.

• Options
    So, Uber took a page out of the Federalist Society playbook, and paid academics to write pro-online livery papers:
    Uber paid high-profile academics in Europe and the US hundreds of thousands of dollars to produce reports that could be used as part of the company’s lobbying campaign.

The Uber files, a cache of thousands of confidential documents leaked to the Guardian, reveal lucrative deals with several leading academics who were paid to publish research on the benefits of its economic model. The reports were commissioned as Uber wrestled with regulators in key cities around the world.

University economists were targeted in France and Germany where enforcement by the authorities was increasingly fierce in 2014-15.

One report by a French academic, who asked for a €100,000 consultancy fee, was cited in a 2016 Financial Times report as evidence that Uber was a “route out of the French banlieues”, delighting Uber executives.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure basically all businesses do that?

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure basically all businesses do that?

No! They don't!

Despite popular theory, running a business, even a large multinational one, doesn't require abandoning all morality in the name of profit.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Also, there are ethical considerations on part of the writer

• Options
    So this got missed in hellscape of the past few months, but Uber's former CSO was convicted over data breaches at Uber:
    A federal jury convicted Joseph Sullivan, the former Chief Security Officer of Uber Technologies, Inc. (“Uber”), of obstruction of proceedings of the Federal Trade Commission (“FTC”) and misprision of felony in connection with his attempted cover-up of a 2016 hack of Uber. The announcement was made by United States Attorney Stephanie M. Hinds and FBI San Francisco Special Agent in Charge Robert K. Tripp following a four week trial before the Hon. William H. Orrick, United States District Judge.

If you are wondering why Twitter's CISO tendered her resignation, see the above.

• Options
    NYAG Tish James wins big for online livery drivers in the Empire State:
    New York Attorney General Letitia James today announced two landmark settlements totaling $328 million with rideshare companies Uber and Lyft for cheating drivers out of hundreds of millions of dollars. The settlements resolve multi-year investigations into Uber and Lyft, which found that the companies’ policies withheld hard-earned pay from drivers and prevented them from receiving valuable benefits available under New York labor laws. The settlements announced today will return $328 million in back pay to drivers and institute a minimum driver “earnings floor,” paid sick leave, proper hiring and earnings notices, and other improvements in drivers’ working conditions. Uber will pay $290 million and Lyft will pay $38 million into two separate settlement funds which will be entirely distributed to current and former drivers.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    New York Attorney General Letitia James today announced two landmark settlements totaling $328 million with rideshare companies Uber and Lyft for cheating drivers out of hundreds of millions of dollars. The settlements resolve multi-year investigations into Uber and Lyft, which found that the companies’ policies withheld hard-earned pay from drivers and prevented them from receiving valuable benefits available under New York labor laws. The settlements announced today will return $328 million in back pay to drivers and institute a minimum driver “earnings floor,” paid sick leave, proper hiring and earnings notices, and other improvements in drivers’ working conditions. Uber will pay $290 million and Lyft will pay $38 million into two separate settlement funds which will be entirely distributed to current and former drivers.

So, 2% of their monthly bookings in 2022. (Based off of Uber's data I happened to look up just now.)

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular

So, 2% of their monthly bookings in 2022. (Based off of Uber's data I happened to look up just now.)
    institute a minimum driver “earnings floor,” paid sick leave, proper hiring and earnings notices,

This bit is far more important.