As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Now I have a [movies] thread, ho ho ho

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    N-no

I can't afford a movie ticket just to see a trailer.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    It'll be online shortly afterwards anyway. If it's really happening and is not just a rumour from the super reliable reddit.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I'm really just shocked at myself.

I told myself I'd never get burned by another star wars movie. Here I am hyped by a rumor about a trailer.

(To be fair I loved Star Trek 09.)

• Options
    I'm sure that I will enjoy it. It might not capture that same Star Wars feel, but it will be a good movie to watch at least once.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Is this gonna be an actual Star Wars trailer, or is this gonna be like the Phantom Menace first trailer, hyped for weeks, then it was just a black screen and ominous music the a glimpse of the back of Vader's helmet for no reason, then Title Card.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I hope the new Star Wars movie is actually a Star Trek movie because JJ just didn't know there was a difference and assumed they were they same thing and no one had the heart to tell him through the whole production.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    I hope the new Star Wars movie is actually a Star Trek movie because JJ just didn't know there was a difference and assumed they were they same thing and no one had the heart to tell him through the whole production.

That would certainly explain the last two Star Trek movies

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Just watched two found footage films. Afflicted and As Above, So Below. Afflicted was pretty awful but ok fun if youre in the mood for something silly. But I loved As Above, So Below. I'd describe it as a horror-found-footage Tomb Raider. Like it wasnt super scary or anything special, but that approach helped me enjoy even though im well and truly sick of found footage horrors (and yet I keep going back to them).

• Options
    I want a bronze age found footage film where they never explain how or why the person is recording all of it.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I actually find the best found footage horrors are the ones where they dont keep referencing the camera or why theyre filming. Its such a ridiculously silly framing device used just so we get a first person haunted house ride perspective, theres no way you can justify it so that ill buy it, no matter how clever your conceit, so stop reminding me of how ridiculous it is and just go with it.

Its like theyre worried people will wonder why the characters are still filming. At this stage the people who are bothered by that have well and truly stopped watching fount footage films, so just dont bother and get on with the ride.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    let me tell you about... genetic memory

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    details here:

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-the-force-awakens-trailer-debut/

pertinent stuff, basically 100 theatres in the US are going to show Big Hero 6 at the earliest time they can, and the trailer will play in front of that

which is

bizarre, but also really clever

They showed Big Hero 6 starting at 10am
    Now I am disappointed they don't show films at 9am but it's still better than 2pm

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    let me tell you about... genetic memory

So an Assassin's Creed film.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Are there found footage films that aren't horror or something similar?

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    TrippyJing wrote: »

End of watch, the Jake Gyllenhaal cop fantasy movie

• Options
    edited November 2014

You know what? I'd completely forgotten that End of Watch did that, and I liked that movie!

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
  • Options
    The Virginity Hit (comedy)
    Troll Hunter (Fantasy, Monster Film)
    Project X (comedy)
    A Haunted House (comedy) It's spoofing horror films so I wouldn't count it.
    Europa Report (Sci Fi)
    Babysitting (comedy)
    Into the Storm (Disaster)

There's some more too.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Iron Giant is found footage, and not fictional, You can't convince me otherwise, he's coming back and me and him are gonna fly around, and you'll all be jealous and sad because you doubted!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Chronicle isn't horror, and is pretty okay

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    Has anyone see Only Lovers Left Alive? Just watched it and it is so great. Though for some reason I was keep picturing it as a documentary of Jack and Meg White.

• Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    Barcardi wrote: »
    Has anyone see Only Lovers Left Alive? Just watched it and it is so great. Though for some reason I was keep picturing it as a documentary of Jack and Meg White.
    I liked it too. I thought it built a really cool world with some interesting characters and, in the end, it really made me want to buy a vintage Jaguar powered by orzone energy. I also thought that it was kind of shapeless and a bit boring. But, hey, that's likable in its own way. A boring vampire movie about how much they like science and music and ruined cities. And lute music.

Dead Man and Ghost Dog are still my favorite Jarmusch movies, but it is well worth seeing. I mean, as much as I liked so many of this year's movies, Jarmusch is a guy that very clearly wants to make art. That should be encouraged.

Also, this is a year where we got a Jarmusch, Anderson, and Nolan movie in the same year (and another Anderson movie from another Anderson yet to come out). We had a pretty good year in film.

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    It is boring i guess, and slow, but oh well. Very twee or mumble-core vampires, but all the same enjoyable.

• Options
    There are worse things than boring. Also, that score is fucking fantastic.

Now The Limits of Control, there's a boring movie that also sucks.

• Options

You know what? I'd completely forgotten that End of Watch did that, and I liked that movie!

I liked the first half of it, until I got a strong feeling that cops were jerking off while watching it.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    I still need to watch Limits of Control. It's been on my list for a while but I haven't had the opportunity to see it.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    Yeah. . . Best get that one over with sooner rather than later.

But, goddamn, what a trailer.

• Options
    The trailer was real good.

• Options
  • Options
    Limits of Control is a very good movie to watch while doing laundry, or while shopping online.

I remember seeing it, i remember none of it.

• Options
    Doesn't it repeat the same thing over and over? Wouldn't that help you remember?

• Options
    The Rocketeer is on netflix streaming

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I liked End of Watch but I don't know why they did it found footage style. I just found the shakey cam really distracting and annoying and would have preferred it just being filmed normally.

I hate shakey cam.

• Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    End of watch was good yeah, but they should have ditched the found footage aspect or committed to it properly. Not the halfway job they did

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I really liked Only lovers left alive.

There is practically no plot, but I just loved the settings and the cinematography. After it I was just describing it by saying, it's the vibe of it you know?

Also everyone should watch troll Hunter if you haven't. It's great.

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    Why is this thread not dedicated to how good Birdman was?

Because Birdman was so, so, so good.

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    On the one hand, teasers for trailers are kind of annoying

On the other hand, Chris Pratt looks rather dashing in this vest

http://youtu.be/tvdIL7pUjcg

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Getting ready to go see Big Hero 6 with the family.

I'm excited!

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    We are the best is an absolute treat

It's on netflix go watch it

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Sitting in the cinema waiting for Interstellar to start. I am so, so tired. It will be a miracle if I stay awake through the whole thing.

This discussion has been closed.