As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Age Thread – Too Many Breeches

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014

There will always be people whom lead. Always. That will never change. Ever. And Sera hates this.

You can see it in one of her quests.
    When she tries to get you to pull pranks on members of the Inquisition in a poor attempt to keep the Inquisitor grounded.

That entire quest tells me she has absolutely no respect for any type of authority. It doesn't matter to her if she likes what the current authority is doing or not, she will always fight the status quo. It bespeaks of a huge immaturity on her part. Because people flock towards leadership, deserved or not.

I don't have a strong lean to either side on the one quest with the "you're just making wine at this point" ending, but I do want to address this.

It's not that Sera hates authority, simply because it is, it's that she hates authority that is selfish in only doing what is best for it and poo to anyone it hurts.

In her personal quest:
    Yes, she's somewhat immature in the nature of her pranks, but the overall goal of it was a good one. Everyone, no matter their station, can't remain steadfast and focused forever, without something to break the strain of duty (harmless pranks in this case, to introduce some levity), madness or burnout are the inevitable results. And while she might thumb her nose at titles, she still has a fairly fixed moral compass, as she didn't want to pry into Leliana's personal affects just to get a laugh.

The disjointed speech patterns and juvenile sense of humor may be off-putting, but there is definitely more there than simply an anarchist that wants to watch the power structure burn.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Vic wrote: »
    Well, I think I'll throw my hat in when it comes to this discussion, because I really don't want to read another post like that from Mild Confusion. Holy shit dude.

Yeah, I do that sometimes /blush

I'm too late on the last post though...
    Man, you really hate this character.

I don't hate Sera, I actually love her a lot, as I've mentioned many times before.

I just think she's an incredibly immature person when it comes to anything beyond her party banter.

You show love in a similar way to Sera, funnily enough. Passionate, endearing, and I'm totally confused as to how you love her. But whatever, I'm hip. Always fun to debate harmless stuff on the internet.
    Spoit wrote: »
    I haven't gotten to any of the companion quests yet, but one thing:

Sera is the worst. Like, maybe worse than anders worst.

Yeah nah.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited December 2014

Whoa now. Let's not say things we can't take back.

I mean, she's terrible like 95% of the time, but there are some great moments, too.

Even if most of those moments are just her banters with Vivienne. She tries SO HARD to bug Vivienne and Vivienne just does not give a single shit, and that pisses Sera off so bad. It's great.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular

No way. Worst to least worst it goes like:

!Anders
    Vivienne
    Loghain
    Fenris
    Sten
    Carver
    Shale
    Wynne
    Merrill
    Solas
    Cole
    Oghren
    Anders
    Zevran
    Aveline
    Dorian
    Alistair
    The Other Dog
    Morrigan
    Isabella
    Leliana
    Varric 2
    Dog
    Iron Bull
    Blackwall
    Sera
    Cassandra / Varric 3

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I would totally have Shale much higher on my list, she shares my goal of ridding the earth of squabs/pigeons.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I don't think I could even make a list like that. The only characters I genuinely don't like are Carver and Anders in DA2. Some of my favourite ones are people I kind of passed over during my first playthrough due to them being abrasive or seemingly boring at first glance (Sten, Wynne, Fenris and Vivienne come to mind). It has been said many times, but Bioware's greatest strength really is the writing for their companion characters.

Vic on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Vic wrote: »
    Well, I think I'll throw my hat in when it comes to this discussion, because I really don't want to read another post like that from Mild Confusion. Holy shit dude.

Yeah, I do that sometimes /blush

I'm too late on the last post though...
    Man, you really hate this character.

I don't hate Sera, I actually love her a lot, as I've mentioned many times before.

I just think she's an incredibly immature person when it comes to anything beyond her party banter.

You show love in a similar way to Sera, funnily enough. Passionate, endearing, and I'm totally confused as to how you love her. But whatever, I'm hip. Always fun to debate harmless stuff on the internet.

In real life, I'm a career Soldier.

As a Soldier, you meet many people that you come to disagree with, but would still die for. People who make you laugh or people you just love to be around. People who are not yet ready to become leaders themselves.

Sera is one of those people.

When she's in my party and bantering with the others, it makes me laugh. She rips on others in such a hilarious way and I think it's awesome.

It doesn't mean I have to agree with her outlook on anything beyond banter.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Just finished the main story. Male Dwarf Warrior Reaver. Reaver's are hilarious and I wish the first two games had something similar.

I will just say this, I fell in love with my character.

Best game I've played to date. Loved every minute of it.

Edit: Hahahaha, I am enjoying all the DA:2 Anders hate. Glad I wasn't the only one who was like "This guy. This guy."

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »

No way. Worst to least worst it goes like:

!Anders
    Vivienne
    Loghain
    Fenris
    Sten
    Carver
    Shale
    Wynne
    Merrill
    Solas
    Cole
    Oghren
    Anders
    Zevran
    Aveline
    Dorian
    Alistair
    The Other Dog
    Morrigan
    Isabella
    Leliana
    Varric 2
    Dog
    Iron Bull
    Blackwall
    Sera
    Cassandra / Varric 3

This entire list is incredibly goddamn bewildering.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Sera as a whole would be a much more palatable character if
    they just took out the whole, "Imma shoot this guy while he's talking" bits. If you're going to be that ruthless, you better have really strong convictions or a really good reasons (probably both?). She has neither. She kills people because of some vague understanding that "they do bad things" and therefore "they deserve bad things to happen to them". When asked to articulate beyond that vague statement, she reverts to angry, reactionary behavior and basically repeats herself over and over. When dealing with a specific case, she refuses to engage in a discussion of even basic context and again repeats her mantra over and over again.

Her worldview would make sense if she didn't do stuff like kill people, because not wanting to deal with the bigger picture and rushing to judgment as to whether someone is a good guy or a bad guy is basically how all of humanity operates. But taking it to the next level and straight up murdering people makes her look like this weird combination of immature and psychotic. I'm guessing it's why she rubs a lot of people the wrong way and why the assumption seems to be that she's "not all there".

If they wanted to write a child-like psychotic, then they totally succeeded. Otherwise, I'm really not sure what they were going for with the murderbro bits.

And yes, plenty of nobles and people in power behave similarly. The difference here is that they are widely recognized in the game context as villains for similar reasons.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    As far as Sera goes I actually find her identity issues much more interesting than her anarchic streak.

She reminds me of quite a few people I've come across. I actually think some of the things I saw were pretty interesting and I wonder whether or not they were done on purpose.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    they just took out the whole, "Imma shoot this guy while he's talking" bits. If you're going to be that ruthless, you better have really strong convictions or a really good reasons (probably both?). She has neither. She kills people because of some vague understanding that "they do bad things" and therefore "they deserve bad things to happen to them". When asked to articulate beyond that vague statement, she reverts to angry, reactionary behavior and basically repeats herself over and over. When dealing with a specific case, she refuses to engage in a discussion of even basic context and again repeats her mantra over and over again.

Her worldview would make sense if she didn't do stuff like kill people, because not wanting to deal with the bigger picture and rushing to judgment as to whether someone is a good guy or a bad guy is basically how all of humanity operates. But taking it to the next level and straight up murdering people makes her look like this weird combination of immature and psychotic. I'm guessing it's why she rubs a lot of people the wrong way and why the assumption seems to be that she's "not all there".

If they wanted to write a child-like psychotic, then they totally succeeded. Otherwise, I'm really not sure what they were going for with the murderbro bits.

And yes, plenty of nobles and people in power behave similarly. The difference here is that they are widely recognized in the game context as villains for similar reasons.
    sera is super justified in killing that guy and if you're mad at it you should reflect on the fact that you're casually conversing with a man who ordered the death of his servant in front of you

like that's probably the most justified sera is in the entire game

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options

sera is super justified in killing that guy and if you're mad at it you should reflect on the fact that you're casually conversing with a man who ordered the death of his servant in front of you

like that's probably the most justified sera is in the entire game

Yeah, that guy deserved everything he got.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    He's not the only one.
    Recall your first time meeting her. Consider that she straight up admits it's a pretty regular occurrence. Then weight that against her reasoning as to when it's appropriate to do so.

It all comes together to paint a very disturbing picture.

• Options
    As opposed to the Inquisitor, the eternal pacifist.

• Options
    To me, it's not a matter of if the nobles deserve what the Red Jennies do, so much as if Sera takes responsibility for when the Jennies act, but shit goes tits up even though she is the one that recommends the mission.

She doesn't.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    As far as Sera goes I actually find her identity issues much more interesting than her anarchic streak.

She reminds me of quite a few people I've come across. I actually think some of the things I saw were pretty interesting and I wonder whether or not they were done on purpose.

Yeah. Probably my favorite Sera plot moment in the game is when
    You first get to Skyhold and you talk to her.

Sera: Andraste, what'd I step into?
    Inquisitor: Let me know what she says, I could use some answers.
    Sera: It's swearing, not praying. It's not like she answers. (small pout) Not like she's s'posed to.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    To me, it's not a matter of if the nobles deserve what the Red Jennies do, so much as if Sera takes responsibility for when the Jennies act, but shit goes tits up even though she is the one that recommends the mission.

She doesn't.
    It's a decentralized network of individuals working anonymously together towards the general concept of justice for the little guy. Since anyone can ask that a Jennie do a thing, and the Jennie can decide whether to do a thing or not, the person making the suggestion doesn't bear sole responsibility.

You make it seem like she's a general giving orders. She's not. She's a whisper in a scullery maid's ear. It's like trying to pin the actions of 4Chan on a person who said "hey, wouldn't it be funny if?" All the participants bear some of the blame, and unlike internet mob justice, at least Sera's intentions are in the right place.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Sera definitely doesn't lack respect for the inquisition or whatever because of the pranks

if anything her dialogue during the pranks shows that she respects them more than almost anyone by ensuring that the pranks were harmless and stopping you when
    you mention Leliana's private chest

She doesn't.
    It's a decentralized network of individuals working anonymously together towards the general concept of justice for the little guy. Since anyone can ask that a Jennie do a thing, and the Jennie can decide whether to do a thing or not, the person making the suggestion doesn't bear sole responsibility.

You make it seem like she's a general giving orders. She's not. She's a whisper in a scullery maid's ear. It's like trying to pin the actions of 4Chan on a person who said "hey, wouldn't it be funny if?" All the participants bear some of the blame, and unlike internet mob justice, at least Sera's intentions are in the right place.

imo 100% of the blame is on the noble overreacting and going on a murder spree, since it seems clear that is unusual and clearly not what Sera expects to happen

and yea the maid probably has a better idea than the jennies what reaction their lord would have to hearing them talking shit, it's not like the jennies make anyone do anything

override367 on
  • Options

She doesn't.

Except all the Jenny missions are through a liaison, which is Sera.

If Sera wasn't there coordinating with the Inquisition and the Jennies, then nothing would have happened for good or ill. Which still means that if shit goes tits up, Sera still was one of those whom contributed. As much as Leliana or Cullen or Josephine or the Inquisitor.

So I ask this: If Sera wasn't there as coordinator between the Jennies and the Inquisition, would they still have been at risk from their noble's repercussions?

Again: I'm not arguing if the Jennies deserved it or if the nobles were justified in their abuses. I'm asking if Sera ever takes any responsibility for goading the Jennies to action and if they would have even done so without her presence. And the answer is no.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    People just don't like the fact that Sera gets a Renegade Interrupt and the Inquisitor doesn't.
    You get plenty of warning that she's going to gank the guy, and nobody has even suggested that he doesn't deserve it. Suggesting that she's responsible for the whole mess demonstrates a lack of understanding of what the Red Jennies are, a decentralized grassroots movement designed to balance the playing field against the rich and powerful. It's like saying that the Occupy movement was somehow responsible for Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker's plan to plant agent provocateurs in the ranks of the protesters. Yes, it would only be possible if Occupy kept protesting, but to suggest that they were at fault is silly.

• Options
    This is what I'm saying:

If Sera takes action that risks peoples lives -no matter the cause- and those people die. She is responsible for their lives.

If Sera refuses the responsibility for the lives that were lost, then she is no different than the nobles she opposes.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    So how does a waterfall put out a veilfire torch, when it's not actually fire and just the memory of one?

Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    water remembers

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    Question: Does one's chosen background have much to do with the plot of the game?

I played through the beginning part of the game as an Elf, Dwarf, and Human, and they all played out exactly the same... Even though I was a spy as an Elf or Dwarf, but invited guest as a Human.

• Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Melkster wrote: »
    Question: Does one's chosen background have much to do with the plot of the game?

I played through the beginning part of the game as an Elf, Dwarf, and Human, and they all played out exactly the same... Even though I was a spy as an Elf or Dwarf, but invited guest as a Human.
    I wondered the same thing. Sort of. Like yes it influences, minorly, a few story missions, how people talk to you but it doesn't change the plot. It's sort of a side-thing. I just finished the game as a Dwarf and was quite pleased with how they interpreted it.

Basically, there is no real incorrect choice. Just based on the previous games expect people to reply differently as you'd expect.

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    Melkster wrote: »

theres lots of specific dialogue

it has no effect on the narrative but it does add flavor

• Options
    Dude, Blackwall and the dog story...

:cry:

steam_sig.png

• Options
    I really dislike Blackwall but I really like why I dislike Blackwall so, overall, A+ Bioware.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    water remembers

More accurately, the veilfire remembers.

Also it allows the great line while exploring an abandoned temple:
    Inquisitor wrote:
    ...and the torch goes out.

• Options
    This is what I'm saying:

If Sera takes action that risks peoples lives -no matter the cause- and those people die. She is responsible for their lives.

If Sera refuses the responsibility for the lives that were lost, then she is no different than the nobles she opposes.

She didn't risk their lives. That's the point of the Jennies... everyone does a small thing that doesn't risk much, of their own free will.
    She didn't take action, the various Jenny informants did. She just picked up the ball and ran with it. There was no way of knowing that this job, in particular, had already gone wrong.

Sera did take responsibility.
    I mean, she murders the dude that did it, or will if not stopped, right? The desire to murder someone who did something bad is the cause of 80% of Dragon Age adventures.

Sera is not Red Jenny. Probably. There is no Red Jenny. Probably. She's not the leader and isn't directly culpable for anything other than her own, personal actions.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Yea I'm not really sure why Sera is responsible, she didn't order anyone to do shit, the only way she's responsible is that her organization even exists and leads to the little people whispering to undermine their masters

but her organization predates her, and even calling it an organization isn't right, they have no ranks or recruitment centers or anything

override367 on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    This thread confuses the shit out of me.

Anarchistic streak?
    Against the status quo?

Are we playing the same fucking game?

Sera doesn't hate power because fuck the police down with the man etc. She hates assholes that think they're better than everyone else and treat the people around them like shit due to that entitled attitude. This is a really clear trait of hers that is brought up frequently and is directly tied to gaining/losing approval with her. She doesn't want to bring down anything, she just has it in for complete dirtbags. If you're a rich person who treats their servants great and is a pretty upstanding person in the community Sera would have zero problems with you and would probably arrange for a basket of brownies to be left at your door.

They'd be hearts that also look like butts but they'd be delicious.

She doesn't.

I don't doubt in the slightest that the Red Jennies were originally conceived as the Dragon Age version of Anonymous (the ones that crash websites for political reasons and try to organize protests that is). Once you frame them and Sera in particular in that context everything makes a hell of a lot more sense.
    If Sera wasn't there coordinating with the Inquisition and the Jennies, then nothing would have happened for good or ill.
    This hypothetical is bogus because someone else would be doing what Sera is doing if she wasn't there and if she hadn't joined the Inquisition she'd still be out there doing her schtick anyway. The Jennies would find some other way to disrupt things. A little laxative in the punch slipped in by a servant will go a long way. That's how organizations like Anon and the Jennies work.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Just to clarify, I don't think Mild Confusion and I are arguing the same thing. I'm saying that Sera was poorly designed, both in terms of the mechanics of her special event and in terms of her characterization. He's saying that, as a character, she is a terrible person.

• Options
    Oh?

So if Sera didn't give the mission to Leliana then those Jennies would have still died?

Is that how it works?

Sera is totally blameless, she gets a total pass even though it she chose to give those names to Leliana. It wasn't Sera, it was the noble that was a pratt. It wasn't Sera, it was Leliana that give the report to the Inquisitor. It wasn't Sera, it was the Inquisitor that decided to have the Jennies do their mission.

Sera has none of the responsibility to her charges. Amirite? It's not like she sought out the Inquisition, it was the other way around, right? Sera never wanted to use the Jennies on a larger scale, it was the others that tricked her into writing butts on all the reports to the war council.

BULLSHIT.

Sera is not to blame for any bad that visits the Jennies, but she sure as fuck has some responsibility. She sought out the Inquisition. She gave the intelligence. She wanted the missions done to help the little guy. Yet she wants to be absolved of any responsibility to those whom gave her information on the pratts.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Replaying Origins. With some texture mods it actually holds up really well, Inquisition has far better models and animation but aside from that it's not as big a gap as I remembered.

• Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Sera's quest:
    Part of the disagreement here I think is that the dialog options you had don't give you a "let's be more careful next time" option. There's just one option where you say "that was fun," and another where you chew her out in kind of a judgmental way.

I also don't think she has a problem with the concept of authority itself. You can ask her about the Inquisition's leaders and she says mostly positive things about them. She's not reflexively against everyone in charge, just suspicious of them.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Oh?

So if Sera didn't give the mission to Leliana then those Jennies would have still died?

Is that how it works?

Sera is totally blameless, she gets a total pass even though it she chose to give those names to Leliana. It wasn't Sera, it was the noble that was a pratt. It wasn't Sera, it was Leliana that give the report to the Inquisitor. It wasn't Sera, it was the Inquisitor that decided to have the Jennies do their mission.

Sera has none of the responsibility to her charges. Amirite? It's not like she sought out the Inquisition, it was the other way around, right? Sera never wanted to use the Jennies on a larger scale, it was the others that tricked her into writing butts on all the reports to the war council.

BULLSHIT.

Sera is not to blame for any bad that visits the Jennies, but she sure as fuck has some responsibility. She sought out the Inquisition. She gave the intelligence. She wanted the missions done to help the little guy. Yet she wants to be absolved of any responsibility to those whom gave her information on the pratts.

She's as much to blame as the Inquisitor is for all the lives lost at Haven.

• Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    So can someone explain to me something I don't think I caught the resolution before - when Fiona first approaches the Inquisitor and asks for assistance...
    then when you go to Redcliffe and actually meet her, she is adamant that she never was in Val Royeux and had never met the Inquisitor before.

Was that cleared up?? Always thought something sinister was at play but never saw anything...

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Docken wrote: »
    So can someone explain to me something I don't think I caught the resolution before - when Fiona first approaches the Inquisitor and asks for assistance...
    then when you go to Redcliffe and actually meet her, she is adamant that she never was in Val Royeux and had never met the Inquisitor before.

Was that cleared up?? Always thought something sinister was at play but never saw anything...
    Alexius fucked with time to get to Redcliffe before the inquisition and enslave the mages there. In the new timeline Fiona never went to Val Royeaux.

This discussion has been closed.