As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ferguson Thread

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    ronya wrote: »
    i might be underestimating the anger here, but it seems to me that an indictment would only have postponed the riot until the announcement of a not-guilty verdict

If there was rioting under this scenario, it would likely have been less raw and angry than what we are seeing tonight, if only due to the fact that yes, Wilson had his day in court. Charges were at the very least brought.

It was exceedingly obvious in this case that the prosecutor could have had this brought to trial and did not want to.

could a prosecutor indict without taking it before a grand jury?

if so then what was the point of the grand jury?

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    i might be underestimating the anger here, but it seems to me that an indictment would only have postponed the riot until the announcement of a not-guilty verdict

If there was rioting under this scenario, it would likely have been less raw and angry than what we are seeing tonight, if only due to the fact that yes, Wilson had his day in court. Charges were at the very least brought.

It was exceedingly obvious in this case that the prosecutor could have had this brought to trial and did not want to.

what is the basis of this prediction? the rodney king beating went to trial

As was just mentioned, Zimmerman was more recent than King.

It's entirely possible I'm wrong, but when SKFM agrees with me that an indictment should have happened at the very least, not doing so is figuratively pouring salt into some very fresh, very bloody wounds.

If rioting had happened after a not guilty verdict, I think I would apportion a little more of the blame on those rioting than I do now. Not very much more at all, though, because of the situation in Missouri with judges/prosecutors/defense attorneys, though.

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular

It's less that the people are outraged that the justice system tried and failed to punish Wilson

It's that they are outraged that the justice system ran screaming from every opportunity to even CONSIDER putting Wilson on trial, and surprise surprise there will be no trial!

They have absolutely no reason to believe that the police are not completely above the law.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    'Automatic' is almost certainly mistaken

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    You wanted them to go after the king SKFM, well here they go

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    It really does seem to me like McCullough is trying to cast himself as an impartial sort of Pontius Pilate.

Not to make blasphemous comparisons or anything, mind you.

But he worked really hard in that statement to wash his hands of any responsibility.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    'Automatic' is almost certainly mistaken

considering these cops lit one of their own cars on fire with teargas I wouldn't put it past them not knowing what they're talkinga bout

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    bassem saying a lot of businesses on fire

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »

The prosecution is the only party that presents evidence at a grand jury. The whole point is to decide if the case is even worth being heard.

So in essence the failure to indict falls entirely upon the head of the prosecutor in this case, because there was clearly enough evidence to get an indictment if they wanted to. But they did not.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

They could have done that with the grand jury. With a prosecutor who cared about taking the case seriously.

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Sicarii wrote: »

Maybe, though they probably could have calmed minds by giving this case the full trial it deserved. Present at least the illusion of justice.

Also by choicing a fucking jury that's actually indicative of the fucking 75 percent AA surrounding community. I mean fuck

wasn't the jury chosen before any of this?

like, there's a system for choosing juries that is county-level or city-level or whatever. i get that you're angry but it seems to me that abridging the established system ad hoc wouldn't really be in the interests of justice

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options

Yes, if they were so inclined.

Often in the case of sketchy officer shootings they defer to the grand jury to maintain a veneer of impartiality.

If they automatically brought charges the cops would scream at them
    If they automatically passed on charges the community would scream at them

This way they get to put the ultimate responsibility on the GJ

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    If they indicted (which they should have IMO) then we'd just have kicked the can down the road though. There was no chance of a guilty verdict and not guilty = riot.

The Zimmerman case resulted in a lot of "well that was obviously bullshit but the jury has spoken".

Zimmerman trial showed a very different fact pattern than the media did. Having the trial shower there was no way to convict. Hard to believe that happens here. He's never be convicted, but I doubt the evidence would have created the kind of doubt there was in Zimmerman.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    The two guys with the lady reporter on CNN are military right?

well ex military. but watching them sure is interesting.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    B3Qyoz8IAAEN_4k.jpg

this is some real microcosm of america shit right here

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options

They could have done that with the grand jury. With a prosecutor who cared about taking the case seriously.

so the charge is that the prosecutor didn't do his job properly in front of the grand jury and thus led them into failing to indict?

i'm not being snide here - i'm trying to understand.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

so the charge is that the prosecutor didn't do his job properly in front of the grand jury and thus led them into failing to indict?

Bob McCulloch has a -real- shifty history.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I think there is an excellent chance that the end result of this is minority towns spending more on fancy police gear, to prevent this kind of riot from happening in their town.

• Options

Yup, that's it. It's why people wanted a special prosecutor, the DA they had had no credibility he was going to do his job. He refused to step aside until the governor forced him to.

• Options
    Eddy wrote: »
    B3Qyoz8IAAEN_4k.jpg

this is some real microcosm of america shit right here

it looks like that shitty call of duty game that i didn't finish because i couldn't accept the premise

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options

Considering how low the burden of proof is and easy it is to get a GJ to indict anyone, for anything, and what we know of this case

Yeah, to an outside observer it looks an awful lot like he threw the case

• Options
    SicariiSicarii The Roose is Loose Registered User regular

Yes the argument is the prosecutor had no intent to pursue indictment despite it being his duty.

gotsig.jpg
  • Options
    qwer12qwer12 PhilippinesRegistered User regular
    steam_sig.png

PSN: jrrl_absent
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    I think there is an excellent chance that the end result of this is minority towns spending more on fancy police gear, to prevent this kind of riot from happening in their town.

Worked for Ferguson, right?

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

I'm sure Ferguson wasn't an isolated incident on that front before this happened.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    3789B5D5-A1C3-4B4D-A63A-1F351AC4A89B_zpsvsx3wamc.jpg

Huh. Black people be scary.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    Gosling wrote: »

The argument would go that they didn't have enough on Ferguson.

• Options
    I don't think any amount of big trucks is going to stop these people from setting everything on fire.

• Options
    Gosling wrote: »

The argument would go that they didn't have enough on Ferguson.

If they went too far they get into worse optics nation wide then they do already.

• Options
    Like a demon?

get fucked Darren Wilson

• Options
    3789B5D5-A1C3-4B4D-A63A-1F351AC4A89B_zpsvsx3wamc.jpg

Huh. Black people be scary.

To be fair, we all saw the stare down in the store. Did he deserve to be shot? Absolutely not. But I'll bet most people would have been scared of that kind of stare down.

• Options
    qwer12 wrote: »

so it sounds like this guy is advocating the "prosecutor had to pursue the case even though there wasn't enough evidence for indictment" position

i mean i think the better social outcome would have been indictment, since it would have at least given the appearance of a functioning legal system that keeps meaningful oversight over police

and also those statistics 11/16000 or whatever certainly give me pause

but honestly we all seem to agree that there was not enough evidence for a guilty verdict to be rendered. is it so hard to imagine that a jury earnestly found the same?

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    Like a demon?

get fucked Darren Wilson

He also describes grabbing Brown's arm as "like a 5-year-old grabbing Hulk Hogan".

• Options
    I don't think any amount of big trucks is going to stop these people from setting everything on fire.

Maybe those sonic weapons or ballistic foam or something? There are heavier duty crowd suppression weapons than tear gas.

• Options
    Karrde1842Karrde1842 Registered User regular
    I'm interested in seeing this "packet" of information the prosecutor kept mentioning we'd get access to. If the witness accounts (which it seemed that most people based their initial opinions on) were really changing all over the place each time they were interviewed, it isn't difficult to see why the indictment turned out the way it did, especially since little or none of the physical evidence (that I'm aware of) doesn't disagree with what the official account was.

• Options
    Garthor wrote: »
    Trace wrote: »
    Like a demon?

get fucked Darren Wilson

He also describes grabbing Brown's arm as "like a 5-year-old grabbing Hulk Hogan".

24" pythons

• Options
    edited November 2014

i wonder how many of them live there

i wonder if any of them will come home to find their houses burned down

or if they'll go into work tomorrow and find they don't have a job anymore

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options

Maybe those sonic weapons or ballistic foam or something? There are heavier duty crowd suppression weapons than tear gas.

maybe they should just deploy drones on them to keep our sold... police officers safe.

Honestly, if they start pacifying american civilians they're going to do way more harm than good.

They can't win this fight, they can just do different levels of losing with it.

• Options
    qwer12 wrote: »

so it sounds like this guy is advocating the "prosecutor had to pursue the case even though there wasn't enough evidence for indictment" position

i mean i think the better social outcome would have been indictment, since it would have at least given the appearance of a functioning legal system that keeps meaningful oversight over police

and also those statistics 11/16000 or whatever certainly give me pause

but honestly we all seem to agree that there was not enough evidence for a guilty verdict to be rendered. is it so hard to imagine that a jury earnestly found the same?

I'd find this more compelling had the prosecutor been someone I found credible. McCulloch's presence taints the entire GJ proceeding, even if it would have been the same result.

• Options
    the autoshop is on fire now

This discussion has been closed.