As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DOTA 2] 6.85

SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
edited September 2015 in Games and Technology
Dota2_news.jpg

SO, WHAT IS DOTA 2?
Honestly, all you need to know is that in terms of skill curves and levels of competition, Dota 2 is basically Smash Bros. Melee for the PC. If you like strategic thinking, games that are easy to pick up but hard to master, learning to speak new languages, playing dress-up with monsters, and being genuinely angry with your friends and teammates, this is a game you're going to spend a shitload of time playing.

Oh, and put your steam tag into this doc, so we can play with you.

Ancient_Apparition.png?version=db1015cbf0c78b2c0255a1b305c3adfa

THE INTERNATIONAL 2015 STREAM LINK
http://www.dota2.com/international/live/

GENERAL INFORMATION
Latest major patch: http://www.dota2.com/springcleaning/
New players: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=123364976
Wiki: http://www.dota2.gamepedia.com/
Blog: http://blog.dota2.com/
Lore: http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=35923
Guides: http://steamcommunity.com/app/570/guide

STATISTICS
Competitive DOTA 2 analysis:http://www.datdota.com/
DOTA 2 analysis: http://www.dotametrics.wordpress.com/
Personal statistics: http://www.dotabuff.com
Personal statistics#2: http://www.dotamax.com
Hero stats: http://www.devilesk.com/dota2/heroes/herodata/
Hero and DPS calculator: http://www.devilesk.com/dota2/apps/hero-calculator/

NEWS & STREAMS
http://www.joindota.com/
http://www.gosugamers.net/
http://www.liquiddota.com/

Dark_Seer.png?version=ae7b3f4d51d4428e47706491e7a05732

Thread shamelessly stolen from @Milk ducks

Sceptre on

• RedthirstRedthirst Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Most supports aren't item dependant.

I don't know about that, I find many supports to be item dependent, though it varies by phase of the game. Granted I haven't played much of Oracle yet, but from what I have, I've been perfectly happy getting upgraded boots and blowing the rest of on consumables. His spells and their synergy are just insanely good.

It depends on how strict "item dependent" is. Some supports need farm to really do their thing, see Ancient Apparition(Wants Aghs), Enchantress(Aghs again), Engima(probably the most farm heavy "support" in the game), or Sand King(blink). But supports who need items generally only need or two items to do their job; usually Aghs, blink dagger, or Mek. So if by "item dependant" you mean "needs items at all" yeah, most supports are item dependent. If you mean "only needs one big item" then most supports are relatively item independent.
    There are two general positions supports are played in - #4 and #5. #4 supports are mostly roaming supports who's main job early on is to set up ganks and get as much farm as possible. They are usualy the ones that are going for support items, like Mek. Some of them require non-support items to be effective(Blink dagger). #5 support's main job is to provide farm to his carry. These supports usualy don't get farm at all, and try to control the lane and harrass enemy heroes on this lane, even if it costs them XP. If carry can get good farm on his own, then this support joins his #4 buddy and tries to get kills on other lanes. These supports usualy don't get much farm, so they buy cheap but powerful items, like Wards, Smokes, Dusts, Gem, and, occasionaly, some cheap support items, like Urn or Medallion.
    But you are wrong about some supports really needing farm: AA doesn't need Aghs, it's a luxury item on him, the one you get when you have 4.2k gold with nothing else to buy. Especially since AA can be a pretty good #5, owing to damage boost he gets from Chilling Touch that allows him to force his opponents out of the lane.
    Enigma usualy gets items because he can. He's an excellent jungler. He's usualy played on #4, since he can gank pretty well, but as you can notice, in pro games most Enigma players go straight for Mek. Not because he actually needs Mek, but because he can get it really fast it becomes really effective. Blink is debatable on Enigma, since most good players won't group up for good Black Hole anyways.
    As for Enchantress, you don't really need Aghs if you are going for support Ench. Aghs is a carry Ench core item and luxury on support Ench. High end Ench players play her like Chen - using Neutrals to set up ganks and provide space to his carry to farm.
    Agree with Sand King, though. Blink makes him a lot more powerful, which is a problem of playing support SK since you need to farm your Blink at the exact time you team needs you. And, judging by my recent disastrous game with SK, playing both #4 and #5 as him is a really, really bad idea.

steam_sig.png
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I just started playing this week, I'm only 11 *actual* games in (all on Limited Heroes), and having a blast with this. I've added my Steam handle to the document above. If you're interested in playing with me, I suck about as much as you'd expect at my level, but I do learn quickly. Thankfully, I've not had anyone tell me off or anything (though I attribute that to Limited Heroes more than anything), but I do find myself pretty pissed at myself for stupid decisions now and then (Y'know, like teleporting to the lane I've been farming, when everyone else is about to teamfight on mid, and then I show up late with my Initiator. Though in my defense, zero communication occurs in these games), so hopefully I can cut down on those mistakes with time. I also seem to really struggle to get last hits in the early game. I just can't judge that timing right at all. Around level 5 or 6, it stops being an issue because I do enough damage that it doesn't matter.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Last hitting is an art you learn with every hero. Eventually you have an easier time doing it, but you still have to learn each heros animation and base damage.

Starting with a quelling blade makes it easier to start with. Also lets you chop trees, which can be useful!

BigKev
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    Last hitting is an art you learn with every hero. Eventually you have an easier time doing it, but you still have to learn each heros animation and base damage.

Starting with a quelling blade makes it easier to start with. Also lets you chop trees, which can be useful!

and there will still be heroes you can't last hit worth shit on. i am looking at you razor.

camo_sig.png
    mts wrote: »

and there will still be heroes you can't last hit worth shit on. i am looking at you razor.

Oh yeah, some heroes have... weird animations. Like razor, who does damage as his lighting leash stops hitting, not as it hits!

• SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    The interesting thing about razor is that he does actually have a visible projectile that moves along his lightning arc. It's tricky to see, but once you notice it you understand how come his last hit doesn't seem to register the instant the lightning connects.

Geth
    I guess that would explain why I have less of a problem when I use Wraith King, as Quelling Blade is suggested starting gear for him (I use the suggestions a lot).

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    mts wrote: »

Oh yeah, some heroes have... weird animations. Like razor, who does damage as his lighting leash stops hitting, not as it hits!

if you go just by the animation it looks like razor "connects" on the back swing of the whip. i will have to look for the projectile, i have not seen that but admittedly never really play razor since i am terrible at him

camo_sig.png
    Sceptre wrote: »
    The interesting thing about razor is that he does actually have a visible projectile that moves along his lightning arc. It's tricky to see, but once you notice it you understand how come his last hit doesn't seem to register the instant the lightning connects.

Huh, never noticed that. I just learned to eventually kind of time his attacks, so I can at least farm if not harassed too much.

Also, about last hitting. If the enemy creeps are pushing your tower, you need to hit them only once(so if they're at full HP, you just hit them once and then wait for tower to attack them). After 2 hits on ranged creeps and 4 on melee, they will be left with small amount of HP that you can remove with a single hit. I'm not entirely sure how it's working with siege creep. But I guess you need more than one hit.

steam_sig.png
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Here's some neat Phantom Assassin tips that were linked on Reddit yesterday or the day before. My friend Sunken from LVT gave his approval on the guide too in the Reddit comments.
    Here's some neat Phantom Assassin tips that were linked on Reddit yesterday or the day before. My friend Sunken from LVT gave his approval on the guide too in the Reddit comments.
    tip 1: level blur so that the tip does not show up in the thread, much like PA doesn't show up on the minimap

Good joke.

http://jjcm.org/blog/how_to_play_pa/

With regards to improving your last hitting... practice makes perfect.

Practice, practice, practice. Do the Shadow Fiend challenge. Load up your favorite hero in an empty custom game and try to get as high of a creep score as you can for the first 10 minutes of the game. Benchmark yourself. Can you hit a total combined CS (last hits + denies) of over 70? Great, push for 80.

A good score is around 100 (50 last hits, 50 denies) and a perfect score is 120.

• JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I just started playing this week, I'm only 11 *actual* games in (all on Limited Heroes), and having a blast with this. I've added my Steam handle to the document above. If you're interested in playing with me, I suck about as much as you'd expect at my level, but I do learn quickly. Thankfully, I've not had anyone tell me off or anything (though I attribute that to Limited Heroes more than anything), but I do find myself pretty pissed at myself for stupid decisions now and then (Y'know, like teleporting to the lane I've been farming, when everyone else is about to teamfight on mid, and then I show up late with my Initiator. Though in my defense, zero communication occurs in these games), so hopefully I can cut down on those mistakes with time. I also seem to really struggle to get last hits in the early game. I just can't judge that timing right at all. Around level 5 or 6, it stops being an issue because I do enough damage that it doesn't matter.

There's a good system in game where you can group up with someone that'll coach you. They see only what your team sees and can ping out terrain, units or UI elements for you as well as chat.

If you're in the european timezone I'm up for some coaching/playing in the evenings.

Sceptre wrote: »
    With regards to improving your last hitting... practice makes perfect.

Practice, practice, practice. Do the Shadow Fiend challenge. Load up your favorite hero in an empty custom game and try to get as high of a creep score as you can for the first 10 minutes of the game. Benchmark yourself. Can you hit a total combined CS (last hits + denies) of over 70? Great, push for 80.

A good score is around 100 (50 last hits, 50 denies) and a perfect score is 120.

I'll have to give that a go. Thanks!

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Agree with Sand King, though. Blink makes him a lot more powerful, which is a problem of playing support SK since you need to farm your Blink at the exact time you team needs you. And, judging by my recent disastrous game with SK, playing both #4 and #5 as him is a really, really bad idea.

The good news is that he can at least stack jungle creeps and get his blink relatively fast that way. Poor Shaker doesn't even have that. I main him these days and routinely end up with the wonkiest power curve, where I spend ~20 minutes doing nothing (and dying) while I attempt to finish a blink dagger, and then go completely fucking ham when I get it. Blink shaker is an addiction man, it's getting to the point I hardly even use my spells early on because I'm like "no blink dagger....what's the point?"

Prospicience

The good news is that he can at least stack jungle creeps and get his blink relatively fast that way. Poor Shaker doesn't even have that. I main him these days and routinely end up with the wonkiest power curve, where I spend ~20 minutes doing nothing (and dying) while I attempt to finish a blink dagger, and then go completely fucking ham when I get it. Blink shaker is an addiction man, it's getting to the point I hardly even use my spells early on because I'm like "no blink dagger....what's the point?"

Yes, though you need to get level 3 to do it effectively.
    As for ES, he doesn't really need Blink that much. His stun is long range(though Blink helps with positioning) and his ult doesn't require channeling. Though, of course, Blink makes stuff much easier. And it's more needed later on in the game, where there is more chance to see enemy pushing with full team and few waves of creeps.

steam_sig.png
    Rainfall
  • MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Bristle is so much fun. Went up against Morph and Jakiro in the offlane. Got shit for farm, eventually get a couple items and start wrecking in teamfights. Best is chasing Kunkka from the Dire T1 to the Radiant T2, diving behind their tower for the kill, then escaping while 3 others try taking you down.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • NatinatorNatinator Registered User regular
    Redthirst wrote: »

As for ES, he doesn't really need Blink that much. His stun is long range(though Blink helps with positioning) and his ult doesn't require channeling. Though, of course, Blink makes stuff much easier. And it's more needed later on in the game, where there is more chance to see enemy pushing with full team and few waves of creeps.

It depends on your team lineup really. An Earthshaker with a Puck team mate will require a Blink less than with a team that has 0 initiation/lockdown.

Also, if Blink is hard to come by, I tend to go a Force Staff. Easier to get, since you can buy it in parts, with 2/3 parts actually being of use instead of just money in your bank. Not as good positioning wise, but Force staffs are great on supports (watch Secret play with them), and allow you to still get it off if you're attacked.

Or just get a Shadowblade and play CritShaker.

Steam ID: natinator Xbox Live: Natman PRIME LoL: A1 Sauce
    Natinator wrote: »
    Redthirst wrote: »

It depends on your team lineup really. An Earthshaker with a Puck team mate will require a Blink less than with a team that has 0 initiation/lockdown.

Also, if Blink is hard to come by, I tend to go a Force Staff. Easier to get, since you can buy it in parts, with 2/3 parts actually being of use instead of just money in your bank. Not as good positioning wise, but Force staffs are great on supports (watch Secret play with them), and allow you to still get it off if you're attacked.

Or just get a Shadowblade and play CritShaker.
    Well yeah. One easy way to play ES without blink is to have Tiny or Earth Spirit on your team(Oracle and Mirana can also work).

steam_sig.png
    So, the last 4 or 5 games I've played in Limited Heroes, have had an opponent or teammate complain towards the end that the other team is using OP Heroes.

Am I wrong to think they're crybaby dum dums?

• Page-Page- Registered User regular
    if they're not contested, time based on what's doing the most damage, which is going to be the ranged creep. if they're contested, but only for the last hit, then do the same but make sure your attack hits as close to the range creep's projectile as you can manage.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
    Page- wrote: »
    if they're not contested, time based on what's doing the most damage, which is going to be the ranged creep. if they're contested, but only for the last hit, then do the same but make sure your attack hits as close to the range creep's projectile as you can manage.

This has been some of the best advice, for me. It has really really helped with both my last hits and denies. This tip alone has probably doubled my farming performance.

edited April 2015
    The fun thing about DOTA is that under the right conditions, all the heroes feel OP.

At some point or another I've probably complained about any given hero being bullshit. Even the two characters with lowest win rate currently, wisp (Io) and Alchemist can be absolute monsters given the right conditions.

Sceptre on
    Well, I'm sure that's the case. What I felt was dumb in these particular scenarios was:

A. It's a limited pool of Heroes, someone's bound to get an "OP" Hero.

B. That limited pool is chock full of carries, and almost everyone who plays Limited is a newbie (or at least, I am under the impression that is what it is for). So, the average game I've played typically has either both teams full of carries, or one team is balanced, but they're not experienced or organized enough to close the game before the other team (which is full of carries) just landslides them. At that point, the team with non-carries is screwed, and that's when the comments are made.

C. Again, everyone's a newb. The chances that they actually selected that character because of their "OP"-ness seems remote. I have played with and against some clearly experienced groups/players who are obviously just nub-stomping in Limited, but they are rare.

To that end, it feels I'm at a crossroads. I do not feel good enough to play normal games (and I still haven't played all of those Heroes "successfully" yet), but I also crave having some actual fucking teamwork start occurring in my games, and stop watching Tidehunters stand next to enemy towers and feed. I also want to start looking at the rest of the Hero pool soon. My problem is that while Bot games seem the obvious choice, my impression of bots is that they are total dumbshits. What difficulty level should I set them to so that I can still learn more of the game, without watching Drow Ranger go into melee with Sven?

I'd say stop playing Limited hero mode as soon as possible, try bots on the hardest setting and go lower if you feel like you need it. Playing a game with 9 bots vs finding bot games to play in, I don't think make a difference. It's not like regular AP will have high coordination from the get go nor will your rating be calibrated correctly for the first few games.

Alright, I'll give that a go.

Hardest or unfair bots don't really teamwork any more but they will do these infuriating things: very good last hits, perfect chain stuns and dodging every spell that's ground target that you don't cast out of fog. The bots pretty much only play limited mode heroes as well. Maybe try a new hero in one or two games against the bots before you go into AP with it but AP with 10 humans playing is the best place to get used to heroes.

During Hero selection, is there a way to see the roles for the Hero you are looking at? I realize I can use the filter and all, and I know the roles are not always accurate, but it's at least something to go on. One of my worries with AP is that everyone will pick Heroes I know nothing about, and I'll pick something that's stupid.

• YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I also crave having some actual fucking teamwork start occurring in my games

I have some bad news for you.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
    ProspicienceNatinatorSceptreThunderous_T
  • MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    During Hero selection, is there a way to see the roles for the Hero you are looking at? I realize I can use the filter and all, and I know the roles are not always accurate, but it's at least something to go on. One of my worries with AP is that everyone will pick Heroes I know nothing about, and I'll pick something that's stupid.

They removed the roles listing a while back since most heroes can fit a lot of roles that they were not listed as. After 25+ games you should start to recognize what each hero is good for and be able to fill spots if you feel like doing so. I actually prefer playing All Random for learning heroes since you will find yourself not trying to fill a certain role and therefore be able to play as you want to. Either way, just play what you want, random in AP if you feel like it, people will bitch about picks or play at any level. Don't forget, you are only a handful of games in, but if you have the same MMR as other people, you could be playing with people that have 2000+ games played. They may have the experience advantage but they are playing at your level for a reason. Ignore their flames and just play for fun, being worried about the opinion of random people in game will just sap your fun.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
    Makes sense. I've played a few bot games with Undying, trying to do lane support and eventual pushing. It just feels to me that though he isn't necessarily a carry, he probably should be farming his own lane a bit. Especially when his Ultimate kinda requires him to be able to wade into teamfights to be worth anything.

Makes sense. I've played a few bot games with Undying, trying to do lane support and eventual pushing. It just feels to me that though he isn't necessarily a carry, he probably should be farming his own lane a bit. Especially when his Ultimate kinda requires him to be able to wade into teamfights to be worth anything.

Pretty much. The thing with undying is that you're almost guaranteed first blood in the lane. And you can usually collect a couple more kills after that. Plus, with the right lane buddy, you can dive people like a mofo. The problem is that he falls off a cliff come late game, so you need to get a lot done early, or you just become a liability. Most new (and far too many veteran) players like to split up and farm alone to get their big end game items, but as Undying you need your team to get early fighting items and push objectives as 5, and they have to commit when they do. Often they don't, and you just end up getting burst down while your ult is on. So playing him can be pretty frustrating.

I made the distinct error judgement of playing dota on a holiday yesterday. 3 games in a row I was playing well, 3 games in a row one or two people on me team made a complete cock of themselves and threw early leads.

• ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    Just wanted to mention real quick how fun/op oracle-huskar combo is.

Natinator
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Well, I'm sure that's the case. What I felt was dumb in these particular scenarios was:

A. It's a limited pool of Heroes, someone's bound to get an "OP" Hero.

B. That limited pool is chock full of carries, and almost everyone who plays Limited is a newbie (or at least, I am under the impression that is what it is for). So, the average game I've played typically has either both teams full of carries, or one team is balanced, but they're not experienced or organized enough to close the game before the other team (which is full of carries) just landslides them. At that point, the team with non-carries is screwed, and that's when the comments are made.

C. Again, everyone's a newb. The chances that they actually selected that character because of their "OP"-ness seems remote. I have played with and against some clearly experienced groups/players who are obviously just nub-stomping in Limited, but they are rare.

To that end, it feels I'm at a crossroads. I do not feel good enough to play normal games (and I still haven't played all of those Heroes "successfully" yet), but I also crave having some actual fucking teamwork start occurring in my games, and stop watching Tidehunters stand next to enemy towers and feed. I also want to start looking at the rest of the Hero pool soon. My problem is that while Bot games seem the obvious choice, my impression of bots is that they are total dumbshits. What difficulty level should I set them to so that I can still learn more of the game, without watching Drow Ranger go into melee with Sven?

I really like Single Draft for learning heroes.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Dreamleague stuff:

Please stop giving C9 Terrorblade or really anyone Terrorblade that hero is stupidly good and C9 relies on it like a crutch.

edited November 2014
    This looks like a pretty fun draft coming out of C9.

Also, a Fear puck game is probably coming up.

Sceptre on
  • SomeWarlockSomeWarlock Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    3clipse wrote: »
    Dreamleague stuff:

Please stop giving C9 Terrorblade or really anyone Terrorblade that hero is stupidly good and C9 relies on it like a crutch.

Terrorblade has a sub 50% win-rate in pro matches with a win rate of ~46%.

In fact, EE is the source of 25% of all wins in pro matches on Terrorblade, and when you remove EE from Terrorblade's stats, Terrorblad has a ~40% win rate. There's not much to support Terrorblade being OP(statstically, he's under-performing) as much as EE and C9 making it look that way.

Source: http://www.datdota.com/hero.php?q=Terrorblade&p=stats

SomeWarlock on
    edited November 2014
    Man, EG was absolutely on fire today, they could practically do no wrong. I don't know what you do as C9 except hold on and hope their momentum falters. Still one of the unhappiest looking teams playing dota today though.

Dark_Side on
    übergeek
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    EG has been marked as one of the best right now and they showed it today.

No team Secret in there though and I would say they are the main challenger to EG. Also VG with Black.

Secret, EG and VG are probably the top 3 teams out there right now.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Natinator
    C9 were playing dota for how long today? From 1 pm to 1 am?

This discussion has been closed.