As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mechwarrior Online] The FWL doesn't pay enough to stay here (THREAD OVER!)

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Handgimp wrote: »
    Yeah lots of times I'll play MWO on just my middle monitor with a browser on a side monitor. Then when I've lined up the perfect shot only to have focus shift to my browser because the stupid game doesn't trap the mouse while it has focus. A quick alt tab will save me, but by then the opportunity is lost.

E: should probably just go back to playing on all three screens.

the cable worked loose, I'm not a fancy pants multimonitor oligarch :p

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
  • Options
    how is it that oosiks have over 100 people in the unit but is cant ever field a full 12 man?

Its a lucky lucky day when we can fill a second lance..

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    ... Come to think of it, how do we have over 100 people in the unit in the first place? I wasn't aware we had that many Oosiks who cared.

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    ... Come to think of it, how do we have over 100 people in the unit in the first place? I wasn't aware we had that many Oosiks who cared.

We dont. My friends list has a ton of people from the past 2.5 years. Hardly anyone is ever on. I was on last night and a few people were on, but no one in vent.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    last I checked there was 107ish people in the OOSK unit.

Also, I'm having a hell of a time trying to elite out my two non-erppc thunderbolts. They keep getting dropped on Terra Therma or Alpine where I can do shit all. I don't remember the model numbers and smurfy is currently broken or something.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    You might have people like myself who are still working through their holiday backlog.

• Options
    Valkun wrote: »
    You might have people like myself who are still working through their holiday backlog.

You can do that while dedicating an hour to hot mech on mech action.

• Options
    New tourney: Community Fights for Discounts

https://mwomercs.com/tournaments

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    jjae2123jjae2123 Registered User regular
    For your thunderbolts, the mpl one is a beast at brawling. Do you have the large laser or the large pulse laser for your third?

• Options
    jjae2123 wrote: »
    For your thunderbolts, the mpl one is a beast at brawling. Do you have the large laser or the large pulse laser for your third?

the problem is I either get dropped on the hottest map where i cant fire more than twice or on alpine where the brawling is impossible because I die to long range fire before closing to range.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular

We dont. My friends list has a ton of people from the past 2.5 years. Hardly anyone is ever on. I was on last night and a few people were on, but no one in vent.

Yeah that was my first thought. 100+ Oosiks thread forumgoers? That's still pretty nuts though

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    over the course of time lots of folks have tried the game out, you'd think

also, there are a lot of premium colors (all?) going on sale tomorrow, as well as various cockpit items. Camo patterns too, although meh to those

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    There's probably a lot of folks like me, who keep an eye on the game but currently feel no compulsion to play.

Honestly one of the things holding me back is the god awful mechlab UI. I just can't bring myself to try and sort out the mess my modules/mechs are in.

• Options
    TiglissTigliss Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Campy wrote: »
    There's probably a lot of folks like me, who keep an eye on the game but currently feel no compulsion to play.

Honestly one of the things holding me back is the god awful mechlab UI. I just can't bring myself to try and sort out the mess my modules/mechs are in.

I think lots of us jump on for 1 or 2 games and the log off due to life. Still the best matches are Oosik matches.

(Edit)
    Which is a shame, the game is the best it has ever been right now, and it is on a good trajectory. Every "new" counterattack I've played has been epic and ridiculously fun. If they add 4v4 or 8v8 it will be even better.

Tigliss on
    l7n41RV.png
  • Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Campy wrote: »

This. I only play during events, and only if they are realistic/feasible or don't endorse shit-heel play styles.

I think I will play A LOT more once

1) They fix the mechlab UI like holy shit why is this not #1 priority it is so bad I don't even understand. You had to actually try to make it this bad.

2) Release it on Steam.

3?) Put out another Inner Sphere mech pack with some good mechs to fill the holes in my roster. I don't mind spending another 60-80 if we get some good mechs.

• Options
    Why is a Steam release important to you? I ask out of genuine curiosity.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I personally enjoy the ability to actually play the game without having to deal with one of steams a billion "Oh sorry you cant play this game you think you own because we cant currently contact the steam servers to authenticate your lease" moments

Or you know, having to suffer the horror of a 3 month wait on steam support to acknowledge your existence.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    you can launch the game through steam and use the steam overlay for screenshots and such right now, if you want to

the implementation is a little bit hacky because steam won't automatically figure out how to interact with the client as opposed to the launcher, but you can make it work.

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    also, is ac2 ghost heat still turned off? I might actually buy back my 6-S and mess around with the quad build

or maybe I should just finally buy a 4X

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    I was hoping to get my second crab injected so I could be stupid with the 6xAC2 crab build..

but I've yet to get my mechs injected..

• Options
    also, is ac2 ghost heat still turned off? I might actually buy back my 6-S and mess around with the quad build

or maybe I should just finally buy a 4X

I think it's currently still off, but I don't know how much longer it will be. It was supposed to be a short-term test to collect data, but there's some rumblings on Twitter/the official forums for Russ to keep it turned off.

• Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »

Steam has a huge audience that brings in a ton of people. Its almost like launching the game all over again. PGI basically will get one shot to start fresh. More people will help every aspect of the game from matchmaking to more money PGI can reinvest into the game.

Rant time:
    Most games on Steam don't have any DRM, like FTL and other smaller Indie titles, and launching them through Steam tries to use the Overlay which checks for an internet connection. You can go to the game directory and run the executable yourself if you can find it. That they don't communicate this to you or make it easy in the UI is a pretty huge oversight, one of many faults that Valve's fans overlook. "Offline mode" always seems super broken to me, and I've never figured out what it does or how to successfully use it. Their Customer Service department seems to consist of automated responses and random, untrained programmers that decide to answer emails for a day instead of working on HL3.

In other news, I found one more working DVI connection on my video cards as they slowly fail. My desktop lives another day, and the PCIe slot shuffle got SLI working again but my 3.0Ghz processor is still holding me back. Maybe I'll overclock it and ride this thing into the ground proper.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    aside from the existential danger that your library will vanish when/if steam ever goes bankrupt, I don't really see what the problem is

any time my connection to steam drops while loading a single player game, a dialogue just pops up notifying me and offering to either close the program or continue in offline mode. I've never had to browse for the actual executable

ed: I guess you could potentially lose access to cloud saved files, but... save locally? It's not like savegames are large

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    As far as Steam Offline goes, yeah for other than Cloud saves* obviously not working, it seems to work fine for me. Though I do know that is not universally the case.

As for MWO launching on Steam, I'm all for it once the client is improved. The MechLab UI needs to have the Smurfy redesign implemented functionally, the New User Experience bits (like Tutorials) need to be added to and improved, and a lot of arcane or obscure concepts (like Heat Scale) need to be explained better in-game. All of these things, I feel, could be achievable this year by PGI. So there's hope for that.

The last thing PGI needs is to roll MWO onto Steam, and then have 80% of Steam users shit all over it for some of the stuff we currently just put up with.

*Steam Cloud saves are awesome when you're playing from two different machines, btw. I use my desktop and laptop, and sometimes the games I play on both overlap. When the Steam Cloud saves work, they just work, and it's effing great.

Nips on
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    they need to remove heatscale period.

If someone wants to run a HBK-4P 6xERLL they should be able to, with the penalty being them having a shit engine and armor. they'd get one shot off, overheat, and die.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    ghost heat is important in the case of PPCs and a few other weapons, they just implemented other places in a way that doesn't really make sense. AC2s are the prime example of this but there's others

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    I really wish they'd move MGs to a universal hardpoint and basically allow them to be mounted on any hardpoint (Missile, Energy or Ballistic)

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »

If someone wants to run a HBK-4P 6xERLL they should be able to, with the penalty being them having a shit engine and armor. they'd get one shot off, overheat, and die.

Downside to this: the return of the hex-PPC Stalkers

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »

Because I often just forget about MWO. I'll load up Steam, see Warframe or War Thunder, and those satisfy my f2p needs. Also I think it would increase player counts, which would help a lot.

I think just being presented with MWO more often means I'll play more. Also, maybe the patcher will suck less if they have to update it. I've never had a patcher slam my PC to a grinding halt like MWO does. And I have a monster of a PC.

• Options
    YESSSS I NOW HAVE CRABS, MULTIPLE.

• Options
    YESSSS I NOW HAVE CRABS, MULTIPLE.

I'm pretty sure there's a prescription for that.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    I just blew over a million cbills outfitting my new crab as a 6xac2 boat.

edit
    yep, its every bit as terrible as I imagined it would be.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

You know not what you ask for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56bxpv_diTw

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

You know not what you ask for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56bxpv_diTw

Wow. When they change UI features little by little you don't realize what a dramatic change there's been overall, and then old videos like that look jarringly weird.

I actually respect the pilot in that vid, though, it took a good amount of skill to be successful with that crazy build. (And of course luck too). His speed tops out at 50kph, he's got to be using an XL engine, he must have virtually no armor, he has to stay close to his team at all times (which is not easy since he's slower than assaults), and he has to wait for a near-perfect shot everytime.

• Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Downside to this: the return of the hex-PPC Stalkers

Heat Scale would probably be ok if they relaxed it a bit, especially for the IS. Clans can fire 6 ER Mediums for a 42 point alpha at 400m optimal while IS Mediums only get 30 points at 270m, or for 4 more tons fire 2 Large Lasers for a whopping 18 damage at 450m without Ghost Heat. For 15 tons! the IS can get 27 damage from 3 Large Lasers for 24 heat, the same heat as 4 ER Mediums and we're barely over half damage. 4 Large Lasers (lol) gets you to 36 damage (alllmost there) for 37.4 heat which is 6.23 ER Mediums and you are carrying an extra 14 tons. I wonder why no one is using mechs with Large Laser quirks... There are obvious problems here.

The heat on PPCs was insanely low during the Six PPC era, and six was still a little silly. Four PPCs were pretty common across everything, including my Jagermechs :P Raising the base heat and lowering the projectile speed were balance changes people wanted for ages, and only got added after PGI ran out of other ideas. After that they could have reviewed Heat Scale instead of handing out ridiculous quirks to try and salvage balance.

The AC2 change gives me hope they are learning. I think Heat Scale is ok as long as they review the weapons. The values they are using right now have barely changed since they released them and are in desperate need of changes.

• Options
    Clan energy weapons are superior.

but IS ballistics are superior. AC20s for every mech, forever.

• Options

Which is why everyone is complaining about the Thunderbolt, right? Dat ballistic arm

• Options
    edited February 2015

Which is why everyone is complaining about the Thunderbolt, right? Dat ballistic arm

because it has quirks that push its energy weapons to clan level awesome :snap:

Also, since I now own an Atlas..what does everyone think of this AS7-S 2xLPL 2xMPL 3xSRM 1xAC20

Weapon groups will be 1) LPLs 2) MPLS and SRMS and 3)AC20.

edit
    As I said, generally Clan energy weapons are superior, IS Ballistics are Superior..but missiles are a tough subject.

the Clan streamfire LRMs make them the superior weapon for psychological reasons, but the IS burst fire is, imho, better overall because lower duration (everything fires at once) and higher damage (everything hits at once)

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Also, since I now own an Atlas..what does everyone think of this AS7-S 2xLPL 2xMPL 3xSRM 1xAC20

Weapon groups will be 1) LPLs 2) MPLS and SRMS and 3)AC20.

I don't like MPLs and SRMs in the same weapon group because you have to lead SRMs a least a little on a moving target, and lasers you don't.