Options

Holiday Webcomics!

• Options
    statlerstatler Registered User regular
    2014-12-06-Lego-Friends.jpg

qy85xdkddou7.png
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Ok but probably that line of toys will actually be more popular with girls as their focus groups have prognosticated

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Maybe someone will do a story about socerors and ancient powers and a chosen warrior fighting against the darkness, but instead of the usual costuming everyone will be wearing slick as fuck 1920s fashion. Because that I would read.

716n7CEFZtL.jpg

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    But why do the women have to be represented with a ponytail? Otherwise that implies that without the ponytail the figures are automatically men. It's like putting a pink bow on something to designate it as "female".

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    comic.php?date=04292008

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    Ok but probably that line of toys will actually be more popular with girls as their focus groups have prognosticated

yeah lego friends sells really well with girls
    According to NPR, Lego Friends are "one of the biggest successes in Lego's history ... The line doubled sales expectations in 2012, the year it launched. Sales to girls tripled in just that year." The success has caused other construction-set companies such as Mega Bloks to introduce girl dolls.[3]

edit:
    The launch of LEGO Friends generated controversy upon its launch, with critics claiming the line gives in to gender stereotypes.

A petition on the website Change.org, started by Bailey Shoemaker Richards and Stephanie Cole of the activist group the SPARK Movement to demand an end to the sexualization of women and girls in media, condemned the sets and claimed that LEGO was "selling out girls." "Who populates commercials for LEGO? Boys!" the petition read. "Where in the toy store can you find original, creative, construction-focused LEGO? The 'boy' aisle!" The petition asked LEGO to end gendered marketing practices and begin marketing its other product lines to girls.[4] By the second week of January, more than 36,000 people had signed the petition.[5]

The LEGO group responded to the criticism by issuing a statement indicating that, in its research, there were requests from mothers and girls for more detailed sets, more realistic minifigures, a brighter color palette, role play opportunities and "a story line that they would find interesting." Mads Nipper, executive vice president of marketing, the LEGO Group, further stated: "We want to correct any misinterpretation that LEGO Friends is our only offering for girls. This is by no means the case. We know that many girls love to build and play with the wide variety of LEGO products already available. LEGO Friends joins this global collection of products as yet another theme option from which parents may choose the best building experience for their child’s skill and interest."[6] According to a sell-side analyst, Lego's research found that boys and girls play differently: "When boys build a construction set, they'll build a castle, let's say, and they'll play with the finished product on the outside. When girls build construction sets, they tend to play on the inside."[3]

By February the Change.org petition had gathered over 50,000 signatures, and LEGO accepted SPARK's request for a meeting to discuss their concerns. The meeting took place on April 20, 2012. Bailey Shoemaker Richards said of the event, "We are thrilled that the LEGO representatives expressed such a deep passion for creating healthy play patterns for children, and we hope to see them meet our expectations in the coming years."[7]

Brolo on
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    statler wrote: »

But why do the women have to be represented with a ponytail? Otherwise that implies that without the ponytail the figures are automatically men. It's like putting a pink bow on something to designate it as "female".
    because a ponytail/long hair is maybe the second most common visual short-hand for female after a dress?

or boobs I guess

the main point of the comic is that to market legos to girls you just need girl lego people in the sets, and they don't have to be radically different bodies and paint/sticker pallets and a pop on ponytail is just a really easy way to show that idea

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    I oppose denoting anything for boys or girls. It seriously underserves and maginalizes us otherkin.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Our two boys (5 and 7) got the Lego Friends advent calendars this christmas, because they already have the bits to build a bunch of teensy star wars ships / more City stuff, whereas the Friends sets have a lot of parts they didn't have, and designs for things that they didn't know how to build. They are enjoying them all to pieces, if you'll pardon the pun.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    statler wrote: »

because a ponytail/long hair is maybe the second most common visual short-hand for female after a dress?

or boobs I guess

the main point of the comic is that to market legos to girls you just need girl lego people in the sets, and they don't have to be radically different bodies and paint/sticker pallets and a pop on ponytail is just a really easy way to show that idea

Long eyelashes and lipstick work too. I remember as a child I had ONE lego head with long eyelashes and lipstick. She became the Ninja-Queen of Wolf Clan Pirates, who flew around in their magical spelljammer ship. She didn't have a pony-tail because it wouldn't fit under the ninja hood.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    While more lego sets should have higher female representation (Galaxy Squad has like, 1 out of 6 characters as a girl) I don't like the idea that Lego Friends was Lego attempting to segregate girls from proper lego. If they were responding to focus groups made up of girls and that's the direction they were pointed in for a single line of what's a pretty vast selection then is it not catering for a broader audience?

It feels like Lego is being attacked for daring to cater to more traditionally feminine girls, which is something I'm pretty against.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Gumpy wrote: »

It feels like Lego is being attacked for daring to cater to more traditionally feminine girls, which is something I'm pretty against.

That's all the girls that companies EVER cater towards tho. That's the whole problem.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Visiting a tumblr named factsoverfeels went about as well as I expected

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I dunno. It just bothers me that for a woman to be considered human she must add something to herself, a ponytail, a bow, lipstick, or long eyelashes. The men get to be the default, and so girls will always feel excluded if "their" pieces don't exist in a lego set.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2014

She says in the blog that LEGO Friends aren't compatible with other LEGO sets, but that isn't true. The LEGO Friends minifigures are different than other LEGO minifigures, yes, but all the other pieces are normal LEGO pieces. Just... in pastel colors and such.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    I think you're all missing the real problem with the comic

A Lego representative referred to plural Lego (TM) bricks and toys as "legos"

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    If all lego people were how they were in the 1980s there isn't really sufficient definition to gender the character pieces either way. Once they started adding hair and details it's really not all that hard to set the mass printer to "add lipstick" rather than "add 5'o'clock shadow." It's not just hair or other custom pieces that have to be added.

A good way to go about it would be to literally randomize the face/human printings in each box so at the same time encourage people to collect the same set multiple times (and find super rare faces!!?!?!) while also making it equally likely your box has a dude lego than a lady lego.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    I said slick-as-fuck 1920s fashion, not "looks like a potato sack" 1920s fashion.

I do need to get around to watching that show, tho.

You haven't seen Korra?!

Oh man, Camby.

GO WATCH IT

Fair warning going into it, season 2 was rushed (and has problems) but 3 and 4 are super good.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    I dunno. It just bothers me that for a woman to be considered human she must add something to herself, a ponytail, a bow, lipstick, or long eyelashes. The men get to be the default, and so girls will always feel excluded if "their" pieces don't exist in a lego set.

Yup! Sucks doesn't it? Now just apply that to not just Lego, but pretty much every facet of human existance.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    LEGO was always fairly light on hair:

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/Hair

They only really started adding hair from the 90s onwards; before then it was the generic combed male hair, or the Debbie Downer female hair (or the hair shown below which was pretty rare).

As far as female faces go, at its earliest LEGO didn't bother to include make-up to distinguish female faces; that came as an option later. An example of one of the earliest female minifigures is seen here from the Castle theme (1978).

2ytRXpg.jpg

Honestly my cousin used to play with LEGO when we were little, and she just assumed the fairly mundane LEGO people were girls if she wanted to. Most of the headgear was gender-neutral (space-helmets, knight's visors, pirate bandanas, etc.). Looking around the wiki, it looks like Paradisa, which was in the early/mid-90s, was when they first started making explicitly female torsos and heads.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    I said slick-as-fuck 1920s fashion, not "looks like a potato sack" 1920s fashion.

I do need to get around to watching that show, tho.

You haven't seen Korra?!

Oh man, Camby.

GO WATCH IT

Fair warning going into it, season 2 was rushed (and has problems) but 3 and 4 are super good.

I'm old, Goatmon. Anything I know will be longer than two hours of content makes me cringe and whimper. Only Bioware is able to really force me into 60hr long treks into content these days.

Maybe I'll get around to Korra sometime next year.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    @Cambiata‌

If you really want to know if you're going to enjoy a cartoon, watch the third episode of Avatar: The Last Airbender. I believe it's called "The Southern Air Temple"

TLA skews younger than Korra does, but I think that experiencing Korra without seeing TLA at all would cheapen the experience at least somewhat.

Southern Air Temple should be pretty effective in telling you if you'll like the series (I think you would)

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Magic Pink wrote: »

That's all the girls that companies EVER cater towards tho. That's the whole problem.

Yeah, basically toys for dudes get to have a variety of themes, whereas toys catered to girls pretty much are pretty princess and dolls and horses and shit. Some girls like that stuff, but that really doesn't address a wide variety of interests.

The only toyline I've seen acknowledges that girls also like fun action shit is the Nerf Rebelle line, which is basically just cool nerf toys with pastel colors.

Like this awesome crossbow.

pTRU1-15754611dt.jpg

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Cambiata‌

If you really want to know if you're going to enjoy a cartoon, watch the third episode of Avatar: The Last Airbender. I believe it's called "The Southern Air Temple"

TLA skews younger than Korra does, but I think that experiencing Korra without seeing TLA at all would cheapen the experience at least somewhat.

Southern Air Temple should be pretty effective in telling you if you'll like the series (I think you would)

I've watched some episodes of Avatar. I enjoyed it.

Like I said, the issue is with the amount of content.

If we were talking, a 2 hour movie for Avatar, and a 2 hour movie for Korra, and that's all the content, then I'd have watched it already.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    While more lego sets should have higher female representation (Galaxy Squad has like, 1 out of 6 characters as a girl) I don't like the idea that Lego Friends was Lego attempting to segregate girls from proper lego. If they were responding to focus groups made up of girls and that's the direction they were pointed in for a single line of what's a pretty vast selection then is it not catering for a broader audience?

I think that the tightrope that needs to be walked though is making sure that girls aren't excluded from the stuff that isn't coded "feminine" and that boys aren't dissuaded from the stuff that isn't coded "masculine".

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    Then you're in luck, because The Last Airbender clocks in at under 2 hours

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Nerf did what I thought was a good line (Which you can see here: http://www.hasbro.com/rebelle/en_GB/) and they were hit pretty hard for it. While I think lego should do more things like their Ladies in STEM set the language in the comic leans quite heavily towards Lego Friends being the issue.

Gumpy on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Or, you know, just toss out those assumptions altogether and just make a cool product without worrying about gendering at all. A fucking kick ass crossbow (like that rebelle nerf one) would be awesome for anyone. Just make a range of different colors. People like color options.

Enc on
  • Options
    Then you're in luck, because The Last Airbender clocks in at under 2 hours

Are you talking about that movie by the sixth sense guy? I ain't watching that.

• Options
    ArdolArdol Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    LEGO was always fairly light on hair:

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/Hair

They only really started adding hair from the 90s onwards; before then it was the generic combed male hair, or the Debbie Downer female hair (or the hair shown below which was pretty rare).

As far as female faces go, at its earliest LEGO didn't bother to include make-up to distinguish female faces; that came as an option later. An example of one of the earliest female minifigures is seen here from the Castle theme (1978).

2ytRXpg.jpg

Honestly my cousin used to play with LEGO when we were little, and she just assumed the fairly mundane LEGO people were girls if she wanted to. Most of the headgear was gender-neutral (space-helmets, knight's visors, pirate bandanas, etc.). Looking around the wiki, it looks like Paradisa, which was in the early/mid-90s, was when they first started making explicitly female torsos and heads.

When we were kids my mom ended up writing a letter to Lego asking them to start selling packs of hair because me and my brothers would always fight over who got to use the brown boys hair (we had lots of black hair, but only one or two brown).

Apparently they listened, because like a year later they started selling a collection of hair/hats!

• Options
    Enc wrote: »
    Or, you know, just toss out those assumptions altogether and just make a cool product without worrying about gendering at all. A fucking kick ass crossbow (like that rebelle nerf one) would be awesome for anyone. Just make a range of different colors. People like color options.

Eeeeh, I think companies should be loud about the move towards being more inclusive. There needs to be awareness when traditional brands become more inclusive.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    It's ultimately the consumer that drives what the company does.

Lego gendered their products, which doubled their sales expectations for that line and tripled their overall sales with girls. The people spending money on their products don't seem to have a problem with what they're doing.

I7lz0OO.png

This is pretty much the opposite of what actually happened.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
  • Options
    hahah bioware and content.

kek.

videogames, amirite?

more like

iblowware and nontent.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    nvm this was a bullshit post

Cambiata on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Brolo wrote: »
    It's ultimately the consumer that drives what the company does.

Lego gendered their products, which doubled their sales expectations for that line and tripled their overall sales with girls. The people spending money on their products don't seem to have a problem with what they're doing.

I7lz0OO.png

This is pretty much the opposite of what actually happened.

That is not the entire truth though. Lego started gendering their products more than a decade ago, it was just that almost all of their stuff was heavily aimed at boys. It is not surprising that their sales increased when they evened the gap by doing a real investment in products for girls.

Vic on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Some times I wake up in a cold sweat at night and wonder if, ten years ago, I acted like imdointhis

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    2014-12-17-29p19.jpg
    Uh... all those kids got dropped off... which is why the parking lot is empty. Heh.

The Adventures of Dr. McNinja

• Options
    nvm this was a bullshit post

guh i cant find the whomp where they make fun of video game humorists but that was what i was going for.

This discussion has been closed.