As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Boys of the NYPD [Chat] were singing Galway Bay...

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    It's not cowardly to protect your face with your hand. Getting hit in the head is bad.

Now, if you went a vega mask route, that's different.

• Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    For fightin styles, look at turkish oil wrestlers.

you trying to make 21st feel things he might not be ready for!

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    bogart

is "Betrayal at House on the Hill" more of a party game or a eurogame

from reading about it it strikes me as a game that is too nerdy for generic parties but too dependent on spontaneous humour for dedicated gaming groups. is there a name for this category of stuff anyway

(a friend suggested getting it for christmas)

Ronya betrayal is not a eurogame by any means. it is ameritrash - heavily randomized, with actions resolved by dice rolls, the entire structure of the mansion generated by random draws during exploration, and items/abilities/events determined by random draws during exploration

the scenario that produces the traitor is random as well

many of the scenarios are dramatically imbalanced, or just plain boring

IMO it is a tremendously overrated game that has a very, very basic set of good ideas but executes them extremely poorly.

Some people really like it, so there has to be something it's doing well.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Mim wrote: »
    For fightin styles, look at turkish oil wrestlers.

you trying to make 21st feel things he might not be ready for!

He's gotta grow up sometime!

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    http://youtu.be/OX5GlMPV7fE

4B - bomboclat

gooey "TL DR"‌

@desc‌

brrrRRRaaatttttt!

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    bogart

from reading about it it strikes me as a game that is too nerdy for generic parties but too dependent on spontaneous humour for dedicated gaming groups. is there a name for this category of stuff anyway

Ronya betrayal is not a eurogame by any means. it is ameritrash - heavily randomized, with actions resolved by dice rolls, the entire structure of the mansion generated by random draws during exploration, and items/abilities/events determined by random draws during exploration

IMO it is a tremendously overrated game that has a very, very basic set of good ideas but executes them extremely poorly.

or people enjoy dumb random shit

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I'm not gay, gals.

I just like having sex with men.

No gay stuff.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    I'm not gay, gals.

No gay stuff.
    in health surveys, they use the phrase "men who have sex with men" instead of gay or homosexual for this very reason

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    bogart

I know some discerning people that like it. I think it's more popular than can be explained by "it's really bad and everyone who likes it is stupid."

sig.gif
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    All joking aside, I am pretty much still confused about my orientation.

• Options
    P10 wrote: »
    I'm not gay, gals.

No gay stuff.
    in health surveys, they use the phrase "men who have sex with men" instead of gay or homosexual for this very reason

Still not actually helpful!

• Options
    I'm not gay, gals.

No gay stuff.

it is when you are talking about HIV

• Options

like...weren't you thinking you were asexual?

• Options
    YoshisummonsYoshisummons You have to let the dead vote, otherwise you'd just kill people you disagree with!Registered User regular
    Then you'd want him to be crouched holding arms up and looking away from the attacker.

Also, why are people the doing little mac + wiifit trainer romance fanart giving her eyes. Did they set out to draw it and decided it was creepy enough already let's give her eyes because being eyeless is just way creepy man.

• Options

Don't worry about it, and just meet someone who you find sexually attractive.

• Options
    And then have sex with them.

• Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    D E E P K O N G

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Evening folks

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
  • Options

Yep, i'm confused between "not attracted to people" and "attracted to ladies".

• Options
    bogart

I know some discerning people that like it. I think it's more popular than can be explained by "it's really bad and everyone who likes it is stupid."

even smart people can have bad taste.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    bogart

speaking as someone who owns and enjoys breaking out Betrayal at House on the Hill when I can, I don't particularly disagree with any of the criticisms you've made of the game, but every time I've played it with other people everyone has had a good time and wanted to play it again

If we wanted to play Agricola or something less Ameritrashy, we could and would! But Betrayal is fun when you're with a group of people who are there to have fun, joke around, and generally not give a shit about who wins and loses due to the game's fickle fortunes.

• Options
    I'm not gay, gals.

No gay stuff.

Eh.

• Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    I'm definitely DUEsexual.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    And then have sex with them.
    not actually possible ime

• Options

Yep, i'm confused between "not attracted to people" and "attracted to ladies".

it's cool! i think all good things come in time

well, you might not ever really know

and that's okay too

• Options
    I'm not gay, gals.

No gay stuff.

Highest at risk group for new infections isn't men.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    This is literally the greatest headline ever bar none
    The Green Power Ranger Wants CM Punk in UFC Debut

• Options
    bogart

even smart people can have bad taste.

Yeah but I don't think it's the most likely explanation in this case. I have it filed under "these other people get something out of the game that I don't, and I want to figure out what that is."

sig.gif
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    cards against humanity at 75% off, almost certainly a high-quality knockoff. hmm. to purchase anyway or not.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    simonwolf wrote: »
    bogart

speaking as someone who owns and enjoys breaking out Betrayal at House on the Hill when I can, I don't particularly disagree with any of the criticisms you've made of the game, but every time I've played it with other people everyone has had a good time and wanted to play it again

If we wanted to play Agricola or something less Ameritrashy, we could and would! But Betrayal is fun when you're with a group of people who are there to have fun, joke around, and generally not give a shit about who wins and loses due to the game's fickle fortunes.

this is part of the problem - i've played it a few times, and we've only rolled atrocious scenarios where people don't really have any meaningful decisions to make and the random events are just kind of boring and rote

i'm perfectly fine with Ameritrashy games or games that are about a fun story or hilarious experience. but Betrayal is just a cluster of bad game design decisions. it's possible to have fun with a good scenario, but i wouldn't recommend purchasing it.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    I'm not gay, gals.

No gay stuff.

In the United States, they absolutely are.
    cNlFmmE.jpg
    (from the CDC)

P10 on
  • Options
    YoshisummonsYoshisummons You have to let the dead vote, otherwise you'd just kill people you disagree with!Registered User regular
    I'm not gay, gals.

No gay stuff.

It's gotta be them bestiality types right?

If people I consider immoral don't have things worse off my worldview will be shattered.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I'm not gay, gals.

No gay stuff.

It depends on the geographic region. Overall, it's women - but in the US I believe it is young black men.

• Options
    oh my god did they take away the /me function?!

• Options
    @Cinders I was at a show on Friday and a friend was painting this

UjTKAeol.jpg

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    bogart

this is part of the problem - i've played it a few times, and we've only rolled atrocious scenarios where people don't really have any meaningful decisions to make and the random events are just kind of boring and rote

i'm perfectly fine with Ameritrashy games or games that are about a fun story or hilarious experience. but Betrayal is just a cluster of bad game design decisions. it's possible to have fun with a good scenario, but i wouldn't recommend purchasing it.

I can't think of a time when we've hit a scenario that was "atrocious" or lacked meaningful decisions - we've had a few where the traitor came in on a bad foot due to pre-Haunt events, certainly, but it was never as bad as you described, and it's generally been mitigated by the table talk making even a loss fun.

So I guess it comes down to different experiences and different fortunes with the game!

Or you can assume I just like "dumb random shit", whatever floats your boat.

• Options
    I'm not gay, gals.

No gay stuff.

In the United States, they absolutely are.
    cNlFmmE.jpg
    (from the CDC)
    The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported that the highest percentage of newly identified HIV-positive test results was among transgender people (2.1%). For comparison, the lowest percentages of newly identified HIV-positive test results were among females (0.4%), followed by males (1.2%). Among transgender people in 2010, the highest percentages of newly identified HIV-positive test results were among racial and ethnic minorities: blacks/African Americans comprised 4.1% of newly identified HIV-positive test results, followed by Latinos (3.0%), American Indians/Alaska Natives and Native Hawaiians/Other Pacific Islanders (both 2.0%), and whites (1.0%).

A review of studies of HIV infection in countries with data available for transgender people estimated that HIV prevalence for transgender women was nearly 50 times as high as for other adults of reproductive age.

Also from the CDC.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    my brain cannot help but interpret that shape at the top of the picture as a weirdly distended pensi

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Every time that I have played Betrayal at House on the Hill I have kind of wished I was playing another, better game.

We've had fun with it, but in the way we tend to have fun with Ameritrash games which involves lots of us goofing around with the flavor in a very "bring your own fun" kind of way.

This discussion has been closed.