As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Yakuza] & [Judgment] Thread. Yakuza 7 out and great. Now an RPG.

vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XXRegistered User regular
edited January 2021 in Games and Technology
I never updated the OP for Judgement or Yakuza 7. But they're rad. Someone who's not lazy can do a new thread and I wouldn't mind.

---

Welcome to the brand new and updated Yakuza thread. And welcome to any and all newcomers. Yes, you can start with 0. Yes, it's a prequel band the start of the overall story. And welcome to the best damn video game series that Sega has ever released. It's about damn time you joined us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLD74kWXUKE

Trailers:
But don't just take our word for it:
Metacritic: 85 (Your one-stop review shop.)

The Jimquisition - 9.5/10 (Good review from newbie to the series.)
If Yakuza‘s always been this magnificent, I’ve got a lot of catching up to do and a lot of “friends” to chew out for not recommending it to me sooner.

Polygon - 8/10
I wasn't expecting to leave Yakuza 0 with a deep emotional connection to a character who shrieks and beats people with a baseball bat.

Eurogame - Recommended
Yakuza's greatest asset is its heart. Its tough side is counterbalanced by a disarming tenderness: its side quests are almost exclusively about helping others in need, and its narrative focuses on the honour of fighting for the people you love and the causes you believe in. And when action rather than compassion is required, it provides the context to let you break faces without feeling too guilty about it - pitting you against a bunch of hateful bastards, piling on even more reasons to hate them, and then letting you enjoy delivering justice in cathartically brutal fashion.

Hell, even The Verge wrote about its praises.+
The Verge wrote:
They don’t make games like this anymore

Yakuza 0 sets the stage for the entire series, taking place in December of 1988 during the decade of overindulgence where money flew. Here we see the beginnings of series lead Kazuma Kiryu and series rotating foil and ally Goro Majima in their early days as you play through a narrative that switches back and forth between their two cities and trials. For newcomers, it's the perfect introduction. For veterans, it's just another fantastic new game in the series we've all been in love with for over a decade.

For the uninitiated that still have their pinkies attached, the Yakuza series is the spiritual successor to Shenmue, mixed with the most brutal and visceral Streets of Rage style combat in 3D, taking place in huge city sets with ridiculous amounts of content and mini-games, set to the tune of over the top dramatic soap opera worthy Yakuza drama. Hostess will be dated. Tigers will be punched in the face. Armed gunman will be taken out with every single incidental weapon available as if you're in a Jackie Chan movie, only more painful and brutal. Manly friendships will be vindicated over sweat and blood. And men will scream about honor while shirtless fighting on the tallest roof in the city.

But the series is also filled to the brim with delightful humor. Outside the main story with its over the top drama and, main characters you want to cheer for, and truly detestable villains you love to hate... the series has some of the weirdest and wackiest sidequets and side stories you'll see in a video game series. Prepare to laugh as often as you cheer.

It's even been well reviewed by actual Yakuza.

vRE5Hb7.jpg?1

Welcome to Like a Dragon. Enjoy your stay.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
// Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
vagrant_winds on

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    For those wondering about early comments in this thread, the Yakuza series has been a cult-classic for over a decade. The games are phenomenal, but the Western attention has barely been there and releases in the past have been years after the Japanese releases. But all that's finally changed. Every single mainline game is coming west.

Did you enjoy Zero? Yakuza Kiwami comes out later this summer, a ground-up full remake of the origional Yakuza 1 for PS4 with all the gameplay improvements from the modern entries of the series (combat styles, etc) and loads of brand new content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMv8dT_cANA

Then for us series veterans, Yakuza 6, the epic finale of the Kazuma Kiryu storyline comes out next year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaHpspRzbS0

For newcomers, if you want to continue the series we recommend you play every single one of them because they're all great... but, every game has extensive (optional) recaps of every single game that came before them.

1-3 star Kiryu himself. 4-6 (and 0) turn into ensemble cast affairs with each character having different fighting styles and sidequests of their own.

--
    As for spinoffs, they're all untranslated outside of Yakuza: Dead Souls/of the Dead, the hilarious third-person zombie shooter.

If you're crazy and wanted to import and play the unlocalized but fantastic historical samurai spinoffs of the series, there's translated cut-scenes, story synopses, and walkthroughs for them.
    Kenzan (PS3)
    Ishin (PS4/PS3)

The PSP games, which star a different protagonst, are being fan translated and won't be released anytime soon. However, they have a Japanese TV series adaption you can watch that's actually pretty good. Search for Yakuza: Black Panther if you're interested.

--

And with that, I leave you with the best (Majima) scene from the Yakuza (1) movie adaption.

wlLmVVw.jpg

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    I'm fucking in. I'd given up all hope.

Time to dust off Dead Souls and finally play more than an hour of it.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    We had all given up hope. When the news hit I was literally tearing up in joy and screaming.

And now that I've calmed down, here's a GIF of you melee'ing a bear in the nuts with the butt of your rifle in Yakuza 5.

Oh, and have some taxi races too.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    4 was my first Yakuza, and it was a weird experience for me. 5 looks too bizarre and huge to pass up.

This IS the one where you can drift race taxis, hunt bears in the snow, and dance/sing in idol competitions, right?

edit: Guess so!

Renzo on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Hope they use that Y4 marketing style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqmHxp3pst8

Fantastic news either way.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Here SEGA, here's $60 reserved for this purchase. I'm setting it right here. You can have it when this comes out.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Man this is going to be digital only isn't it

Clearing space on my 80 gig hard drive will be difficult

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Yarp, digital only. Buyin' dis.

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    I'm normally the first guy to roll my eyes and go "goddamnit" when something's announced as digital only but

Fuck that. I will buy this and leave my PS3 on for the fucking, like, three days it'll take to download the whole thing. Don't even care.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    This is most certainly great news, but I was really hoping the Yakuza series would find its way to Steam. I was hoping to have the games all available on a modern machine rather than invest on two games on one system, the next tree on another, etc.

I do have a BC PS3, so I can play the first five just fine, but I was still hoping for a more future-proof solution. I was also hoping they'd release Yakuza 1 and 2 HD; I've got both games on PS2 on the cheap, still haven't finished the first or started the second.

My point is this news isn't immediately relevant for me personally, since I still have Yakuza 1-4 to play through.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Yay Yakuza 5! Boo digital only!

I have no space on my PS3. :(

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Two questions: Any chance of this coming to PS4? And is this something a fan of Sleeping Dogs would like? Because I loved Sleeping Dogs.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Man this is going to be digital only isn't it

This seems to be what Sega is doing with their niche titles in the West. Honestly, if it means we get these releases at all I say do it.

• Options
    Two questions: Any chance of this coming to PS4? And is this something a fan of Sleeping Dogs would like? Because I loved Sleeping Dogs.

Probably not. The entire series is technically on the PS3 in Japan (thanks to the HD versions of 1 and 2) and not a one of them has been ported to PS4 (or even stated to be) over there where it would happen first by about two years. After a few games release on PS4 (they did do Ishin on it, at least) from them, they /might/ look to port the series, but it's doubtful. And it'd be years down the road. And we'd have to fight for localization because Sega.

Also, as someone who loves Yakuza and Sleeping Dogs, they are very much different beasts. Yakuza is way more story-focused, but the battle systems share a few similarities, including context-sensitive special moves/finishers (HEAT moves in Yakuza and Sleeping Dogs' environmental attacks) and an array of weapons that can be picked up and used. Yakuza has more of a solid, visceral feel compared to Sleeping Dogs' more freeform, counter-focused style.

If you're really interested, track down a copy of 3 or 4 (4 is all-around better, but 3 features Kazuma fully, who you'll want to get acquainted with), go through the backstory in the theater from the main menu (it's /long/ though, be warned) and give it a whirl. It's a hell of a ride.

• Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    Guess it's time for me to finally pull this one off the shelf and get around to playing it. Anyone know how the minigames are this time around? Those were the biggest roadblocks towards the platinum in 3 and 4 (stupid ANSWER x ANSWER...)

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I was super happy to see this announced. I haven't actually played a lot of the game, but I own the three on PS3, and love the feel of them. I might have to sit down and have a Yakuza month or something.

I was about to track down the 'Yakuza 3 Reviewed by 3 Yakuza' article, but it's already in the OP. Good job! It's a fascinating read!

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »

Probably not. The entire series is technically on the PS3 in Japan (thanks to the HD versions of 1 and 2)

I thought that was Wii U only?

If you played it by any chance, Akiba's Trip is the closest thing I can compare it to.

• Options
    edited December 2014

Probably not. The entire series is technically on the PS3 in Japan (thanks to the HD versions of 1 and 2)

Nope. Released for PS3 first in November of 2012, hit Wii U in August of 2013.

Darth_Mogs on
  • Options

Nope. Released for PS3 first in November of 2012, hit Wii U in August of 2013.

The PS3 version of the HD collection did decently in Japan.

The WiiU version bombed hard. Like... wow. It sold slightly above zero copies.

• Options
    Because everyone who wanted Yakuza 1&2 HD bought it on PS3. You know, the system that has every other game in the series.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Because everyone who wanted Yakuza 1&2 HD bought it on PS3. You know, the system that has every other game in the series.

Yet I still remember a bunch of Nintendo fans getting carried away at the thought of the entire series switching over to Nintendo, as well as a number of current fans panicking at the idea of having to switch systems.

Personally, it struck me as one of those typical "experiments" that almost never pays off.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    Just hook it to my veins please.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    Well, either my Yakuza 5 disc is bad or my PS3 is...

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    It's possible that since we're getting the digital version, we won't get the install sequence that you get when you pop in the disc version, like in Y4, Dead Souls, and Ishin (among others, I assume?).

The install sequence for Yakuza 4 was pretty great, and the Yakuza 5 install sequence is better. It's kind of like a looping tv show intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrkG-ew3QUg

It does a great job showing off the improved lighting tech in Y5 compared to Y4.

Here's the Y4 sequence for comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED1toPnxZoA

I have to admit I like the cheesy rock in the Y4 video.

• Options
    So I guess I should accept that Yakuza 1 and 2 HD won't be coming anytime soon and just play the PS2 versions, huh?

• Options
    Probably a smart choice.

Always consider the latest localized Yakuza game to be the last Yakuza game we'll get.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Worth sharing:

ibkA8sWmHRs4YD.jpg

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    Probably a smart choice.

Always consider the latest localized Yakuza game to be the last Yakuza game we'll get.

• Options
    So do the HD versions do anything substantial, or do they just upscale the visuals and that's it?

• Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Worth sharing:

ibkA8sWmHRs4YD.jpg

Hmm... not sure if I'm interested in a prequel. And really, the less Majima the better. He's lost most of his charm.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    cckerberos wrote: »
    Hmm... not sure if I'm interested in a prequel. And really, the less Majima the better. He's lost most of his charm.

We have checked this claim and found your opinion to be factually incorrect. Majima is one of the very best things about the Yakuza/Ryū ga Gotoku series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXBIWUzRg2M

• Options
    New Yakuza 0 Trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TExQ0_7JaHM

Maybe we'll get lucky and get this sometime?

There are no words to eloquently state how much I want this.

• Options
    InstantPigInstantPig Damn Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Before the Yakuza 5 announcement I would have said no way. But, maybe?

Young Kaz and young Majima in 80's Kamurocho? I've gotta have it. I'll import and stumble through it blind and clueless if I have to.

InstantPig on
    PSN: Fading_Vision

• Options
    If we do, it'll be due to TPP, same as 5.

So, medium chance. For once, it might actually depend on how it sells.

• Options
    Zero has a better chance actually, because it's on PS4 and doesn't require having played the previous games for story.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    God as my witness, I am replaying all of the numbered games.

• Options
    Including side content? Because that would be dedication.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    100%'ed Yakuza 3, but it was the western release so the grindy stuff like dating girlfriends was all but removed.

Also 100% Yakuza 2... I had a system for that ultimate challenge batting cage mission.

I have that movie above fer crying out loud.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    Sure, but I meant for the replays. The main stories don't take all that long to go through.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I just finished the platinum (180 hours), so figured I'd give my thoughts on Yakuza 5.

Overall, the game felt really polished. There were a lot of small improvements over 4 (I haven't played Ishin). The one exception would be the combat system, which I think is seriously in danger of collapsing under its own weight as they keep adding things to it. You'll spend a fair amount of time holding down the L2 button, which isn't very comfortable. The Another Drama missions were all really fun and interesting (although Haruna's did get a little repetitive).

The 100% trophy is probably easier to get than it's ever been. The difficulty for billiards, darts, and the batting center have been significantly lowered. Some of them are not all all difficulty but will take a fair amount of time. The arena is probably the worst in this regard; it takes about 30 matches to unlock the top tier fights and you have to do it with each character. The variation on the UFO catcher will probably be the most frustrating minigame, even if it is just a matter of time before you get it. Oh, and they added items that lower your health/sober you up so it's easier to order everything (at least I think those are new).

The only really downside is the story, especially towards the end. Now, I don't plots from this series to be at all realistic, but there were some real eye-rolling moments for me as implausible twists followed one after another. A cursory look around online found a lot of Japanese gamers feeling the same. I'd say it was the worst story of the five games, but I don't remember the specifics of 3 all that well, so that may have been worse.

cckerberos on
    cckerberos.png