As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A Thread for the Senate Report on CIA Torture

QuidQuid Definitely not a bananaRegistered User regular
edited December 2014 in Debate and/or Discourse
This seems like something that's going to be dominating the news for a while. The report itself hasn't been released to my knowledge but totaled over 6,000 pages long. The summary of about 500 pages can be viewed here:

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2014/12/politics/torture-report/

Or here if you want the full (massive) pdf:

http://www.intelligence.senate.gov/study2014/sscistudy1.pdf

Long story short: It isn't good. At all. I've only skimmed it so far but there is some extremely graphic stuff in there and the report's conclusion is that it didn't serve much if any purpose. Most embassies and bases are at a heightened alert right now for potential backlash.

It's pretty much all around awful.

Quid on

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Did they directly address any of the CIA's efforts to obstruct the Senate's inquiries?

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Did they directly address any of the CIA's efforts to obstruct the Senate's inquiries?

Yep. I don't know about later but several of the complaints in the foreword were about the CIA blocking different departments, agencies, and branches from obtaining information.

Quid on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    One of the guys who died from torture wasn't even the right guy. Not only was he not the right guy, he died from

being frozen to death

He was chained up and left to freeze to death

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/12/09/world/cia-torture-report-document.html

I believe this is the full report? I'm at work but it looks like the first 20-25 pages provide a nice summary. I will definitely be reading this later.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/12/09/world/cia-torture-report-document.html

I believe this is the full report? I'm at work but it looks like the first 20-25 pages provide a nice summary. I will definitely be reading this later.

Nah that's the summary too. The full report is apparently 6k pages but hasn't been released.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    People are pushing for Udall to read it into the Congressional Record.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    The CIA contracted with two psychologists to develop, operate, and assess its interrogation operations.

In 2006, the value of the CIA's base contract with the company formed by the psychologists with all options exercised was in excess of $180 million; the contractors received $81 million prior to the contract's termination in 2009.

So the program was both unnecessarily cruel and incompetent.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Wow, that document says the CIA had another operation during this period where it leaked faked documents to press in order to create a narrative that it wasn't doing what it was doing. Get a couple senators out there going "we only ever torturedenhanced interrogated 2 people and we got so much great info out of them!", completely block any other government entity from doing any work or investigating, actively harm your own country in the process.

I'm glad these guys are on our side.

steam_sig.png
    Quid wrote: »
    The CIA contracted with two psychologists to develop, operate, and assess its interrogation operations.

In 2006, the value of the CIA's base contract with the company formed by the psychologists with all options exercised was in excess of $180 million; the contractors received $81 million prior to the contract's termination in 2009.

So the program was both unnecessarily cruel and incompetent.

It's a bad idea to discuss competence or effacy here though.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So much fury at this, and the sad part is for most americans the reaction is "So they're terrorists." SO ANGRY!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Its weird how Republicans are calling it a political move to release this report, when the report is bipartisan and released after the elections.

If anything, everyone involved was happy to wait until the politics didn't matter to release it.

Edit: Also, during the final two years of a lame duck president about as far away from the presidential election as you can get it.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
    Anything that makes merica look bad is a democrats fault.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Jephery wrote: »
    Its weird how Republicans are calling it a political move to release this report, when the report is bipartisan and released after the elections.

If anything, everyone involved was happy to wait until the politics didn't matter to release it.

Edit: Also, during the final two years of a lame duck president about as far away from the presidential election as you can get it.

Probably because the report makes Jeb's life a bit harder if he runs.

GOP Opposes Report's Release

Along with the majority report led by Feinstein, Republicans on the committee released a report opposing the release of the study.

"As we have both stated before, we are opposed to this study and believe it will present serious consequences for U.S. national security," Sen. Saxby Chambliss, ranking member of the committee, and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell said in a statement. "Regardless of what one's opinions may be on these issues, the study by Senate Democrats is an ideologically motivated and distorted recounting of historical events. The fact that the CIA's Detention and Interrogation program developed significant intelligence that helped us identify and capture important al Qaeda terrorists, disrupt their ongoing plotting, and take down Osama Bin Ladin is incontrovertible. Claims included in this report that assert the contrary are simply wrong."

"Look we don't believe what are own report claims happened, so it didn't happen. The GOP philosophy in general.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Preacher wrote: »

Along with the majority report led by Feinstein, Republicans on the committee released a report opposing the release of the study.

"As we have both stated before, we are opposed to this study and believe it will present serious consequences for U.S. national security," Sen. Saxby Chambliss, ranking member of the committee, and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell said in a statement. "Regardless of what one's opinions may be on these issues, the study by Senate Democrats is an ideologically motivated and distorted recounting of historical events. The fact that the CIA's Detention and Interrogation program developed significant intelligence that helped us identify and capture important al Qaeda terrorists, disrupt their ongoing plotting, and take down Osama Bin Ladin is incontrovertible. Claims included in this report that assert the contrary are simply wrong."

"Look we don't believe what are own report claims happened, so it didn't happen. The GOP philosophy in general.

IT DIDN'T DO THAT

THE REPORT STATES THAT NONE OF THE INTELLIGENCE GAINED FROM TORTURE WAS CORRECT AND HELPED IN ANY WAY

IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE IN THE FUCKING REPORT

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

IT DIDN'T DO THAT

THE REPORT STATES THAT NONE OF THE INTELLIGENCE GAINED FROM TORTURE WAS CORRECT AND HELPED IN ANY WAY

Look, they're just using an "enhanced interpretation" of the report.

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Goddamn, this is some straight up evil stuff. How do any of the people who did this live with themselves.

Enc wrote: »
    Goddamn, this is some straight up evil stuff. How do any of the people who did this live with themselves.

They fall back on the nazi excuse, following orders. Or they claim the bullshit ticking time bomb mentality. The sad part is these techniques actively harm actual intelligence gathering, because its not enough to be a monster, we have to be a monster and fail at our stated purpose.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »

They fall back on the nazi excuse, following orders. Or they claim the bullshit ticking time bomb mentality. The sad part is these techniques actively harm actual intelligence gathering, because its not enough to be a monster, we have to be a monster and fail at our stated purpose.

And of course, being a monster also helps terrorist recruitment.

We seem to be really good at doing horibbly unethical things that work against the justification.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    I see the deflection is coming in two ways.

A. "Obama drone strikes terrorists" aka "Both sides are bad."

B. "We already knew about this, this just harms america because merica mercia democratic politicians, america."

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Contrary to CIA Director Hayden's comments and Statement for the Record that "all those involved in the questioning of detainees are carefully chosen and screened for demonstrated professional judgment and maturity"... The Committee identified a number of personnel whose backgrounds included notable derogatory information calling into question their eligibility for employment, their access to classified information, and their participation in CIA interrogation activities. In nearly all cases, the derogatory information was known to the CIA prior to the assignment of the CIA officers to the Detention and Interrogation Program. This group of officers included individuals who, among other issues, had engaged in inappropriate detainee interrogations, had workplace anger management issues, and had reportedly admitted to sexual assault.

Contrary to CIA Director Hayden's comments and Statement for the Record that "all those involved in the questioning of detainees are carefully chosen and screened for demonstrated professional judgment and maturity"... The Committee identified a number of personnel whose backgrounds included notable derogatory information calling into question their eligibility for employment, their access to classified information, and their participation in CIA interrogation activities. In nearly all cases, the derogatory information was known to the CIA prior to the assignment of the CIA officers to the Detention and Interrogation Program. This group of officers included individuals who, among other issues, had engaged in inappropriate detainee interrogations, had workplace anger management issues, and had reportedly admitted to sexual assault.

Holy shit. We had rapists working as torturers? That's it shut this fucking country down, we're done, that's fucking nazi shit.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited December 2014
    While I think it's terrible too, sexual assault isn't the same as rape. And it's actually kind of important not to confuse the two.

Quid on
    How so? Sexual assault is a synonym for rape in legal terms I thought? I don't mean to derail the thread but its not exactly like Sexual harrasment. Assault usually implies force of some kind with regards to sexual violence.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    So much fury at this, and the sad part is for most americans the reaction is "So they're terrorists." SO ANGRY!

Back when this first happened I was still working my real people job. One day the secretary summed it up thusly:

"The terrorists want to kill us, and people are upset that we splash them with water?"

If the report can get people like that to reflect, even just a little, then maybe it will be useful. They won't reflect, of course, but...well, I guess there is no upshot. Mostly just still irked at the secretary.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

IT DIDN'T DO THAT

In their defense (ugh I can't believe I'm typing that) they acknowledge that it's in the report. They just think the report is wrong.

steam_sig.png
    How so? Sexual assault is a synonym for rape in legal terms I thought? I don't mean to derail the thread but its not exactly like Sexual harrasment. Assault usually implies force of some kind with regards to sexual violence.

It covers a wide range of actions including rape, sexual harassment, etc. Mind that that's separate from any given state's or organization's legal definitions.

• DraygoDraygo Registered User regular

It covers a wide range of actions including rape, sexual harassment, etc. Mind that that's separate from any given state's or organization's legal definitions.

Usually when I hear assault in a legal sense it means its verbal, or in threat of. So sexual assault would be the threat of rape, not actual rape.

Basically threatening sexual violence and or rape. Battery is when you actually use physical force. Correct me if I'm wrong, because the semantics of this doesn't mean its any less terrible.

• EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    An assault is carried out by a threat of bodily harm coupled with an apparent, present ability to cause the harm. It is both a crime and a tort and, therefore, may result in either criminal or civil liability. Generally, the common law definition is the same in criminal and Tort Law. There is, however, an additional Criminal Law category of assault consisting of an attempted but unsuccessful Battery.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/assault

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
    Not all states have Battery as a separate crime. Like washington state has degrees of assault but no battery. So that charge might cover actual rapists.

Again its semantics, that we had loose standards for picking our willing torturers while completely believable is still fucking horrific.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited December 2014
    Yeah, the point is that regardless of the specifics, people with a history of anger, violence, and sexual impropriety were given vast power and authority over others with little to no oversight.

Quid on
    And it was done in the name of the american people. This was done for "us" and authorized by the people we elected. And now those people are calling these monsters Heroes.

This is not a proud day for america.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    One interrogator told another detainee that he would never go to court, because "we can never let the world know what I have done to you."

All hail the national security state.

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/12/08/world/does-torture-work-the-cias-claims-and-what-the-committee-found.html?_r=1

Some of the cases mentioned in this article involve informants willingly providing legit information to the intelligence community, then the CIA torturing them, then the CIA claiming that the torture revealed the intel.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    The reactions to this report I'm seeing from a disturbing amount of US citizens kinda puts into perspective where a supervillain gets their motivation from because god damn, I am fucking fed up with the amount of horseshit this country and its people sling around.

Fuck these "patriots" and fuck this country.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    Now is the time you can clear your facebook of torture apologists.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Now is the time you can clear your facebook of torture apologists.
    Thankfully I don't have any because I'm pretty vocal about my views and they tend to drive that crowd off pretty hard. A solid stream of anti-police, anti-religion stuff does the trick pretty well.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/12/08/world/does-torture-work-the-cias-claims-and-what-the-committee-found.html?_r=1

Some of the cases mentioned in this article involve informants willingly providing legit information to the intelligence community, then the CIA torturing them, then the CIA claiming that the torture revealed the intel.

What.

Thats... thats kicking puppies type evil.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    This should be it for the CIA. Shut that fucker down, they lied to everyone and probably continue to do so.

pleasepaypreacher.net