As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Smash Bros. - Final Smash Direct Dec. 15th @ 2pm PST

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Great games, @Wyborn. I need to learn how to deal with roll-spamming better. That was what was really getting me in the Ganondorf matches.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Sorry chiasaur, I am as of this second officially spent. Just spent 90 minutes getting my ass beat. We can play more tomorrow

90 minutes is plenty of time of getting my ass beat

Thanks for the games, Wyvern. I feel all right about Ganondorf vs. ROB (I think we were actually about 50/50 but given how I tend to perform under pressure it's more likely 70/30 your favor in a tourney setting after the practice) but man

Man those other games

I really need to work on my usage of Ness's particular toolset. There's a lot of his potential that I'm not using properly.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Haha, I guess I can say the same of spot-dodge spamming

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Sorry chiasaur, I am as of this second officially spent. Just spent 90 minutes getting my ass beat. We can play more tomorrow

90 minutes is plenty of time of getting my ass beat

Thanks for the games, Wyvern. I feel all right about Ganondorf vs. ROB (I think we were actually about 50/50 but given how I tend to perform under pressure it's more likely 70/30 your favor in a tourney setting after the practice) but man

Man those other games

I really need to work on my usage of Ness's particular toolset. There's a lot of his potential that I'm not using properly.

No problem. Maybe some time later this week, all goes well?

I can all but promise you I wouldn't kick your ass.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've trained myself to spot dodge a lot because it's often safer than shielding and it lets you counterattack better than rolling. I am of the opinion that rolling twice in a row is usually a mistake and something that I only do when I panic. Rolling once and then walking or dashing is almost always better if you're trying to hit an opponent who is also roll-happy, I think. Lets you space a tilt or fsmash or something.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    @chiasaur11 Absolutely. Hell, maybe tomorrow.

@Wyvern Watching the one Ganon vs. ROB replay I saved, yeah, the times I was winning I was less roll-happy and tried to predict yours a bit more. Walking into a Flame Choke seems to work pretty well usually but it wasn't really a factor in quite a few of my actual victories

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    ZilikZilik Registered User regular
    Good game's @Glenn565

Switch : SW-6376-0705-0509
  • Options
    Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    Yeah, good games Zilik. I probably should have asked before the match if you preferred to play with items on or not, heh. I usually like Items and equipment on, but I can play either style.

3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • Options
    ZilikZilik Registered User regular
    I figured I had items on that one game since it was my first time in a friend lobby and it was the default setting, and assumed since they weren't on the first game you'd prefer them off. Don't mind to play with items on though and can play again sometime with them.

Switch : SW-6376-0705-0509
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I can't stop playing Crazy Orders, send help.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Out of 140 challenges, I've only got 25 to go. I'm only decent at Smash, so it can be done!

But that goddamn last tumor on Master Fortress. I'm sure it's managable, but there's so much shit surrounding it I don't know what to do.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Out of 140 challenges, I've only got 25 to go. I'm only decent at Smash, so it can be done!

But that goddamn last tumor on Master Fortress. I'm sure it's managable, but there's so much shit surrounding it I don't know what to do.

Just take your time and kill all the other stuff before going after the tumor. Also, projectiles are very safe and will kill it more quickly than you expect. You get a lot of time in the Master Fortress segment so there's no reason to be hasty.

There are only two waves of enemies that appear in that area IIRC. One when you enter it, and one after you've done about 1/2 damage to the tumor. So just kill everything in the room, bop the tumor with some projectiles, kill everything in the room again, then finish off the tumor.

3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Just take your time and kill all the other stuff before going after the tumor. Also, projectiles are very safe and will kill it more quickly than you expect. You get a lot of time in the Master Fortress segment so there's no reason to be hasty.

There are only two waves of enemies that appear in that area IIRC. One when you enter it, and one after you've done about 1/2 damage to the tumor. So just kill everything in the room, bop the tumor with some projectiles, kill everything in the room again, then finish off the tumor.

Can those indistinct purple and black ball things be killed? Because those are what dogpiled me last time. Apparently dodging isn't the way.

• Options
    Yeah, those are all Smash Run enemies.

The floating blobs are Plasma Wisps, the ones crawling on walls and ceilings are Zoomers, the ones firing lasers at you are Lethiniums, and the ones with shields and stuff are Stalfoses.

I'm just glad that Master Fortress contains no Reapers, Ornes, or Clubberskulls.

• Options
    PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    How good can the amiibos get? I've been using mine a fair bit.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Good deal. The form of the plasma wisps screams DO NOT TOUCH, but I'll start pummeling them. Guess I can practice on the one that shows up near the entrance after the first two tumors (I'd previously been ignoring it). It wouldn't be so bad if dying dropped you in difficulty and kept you from trying the Fortress again, blah. Thanks guys.

Edit: Oh, they're a shadow version of these guys. Good to know.

Plasma_Wisp_Smash_Run.png

I've been thinking, and has there ever been a video game boss with so many forms in a single fight? (Master/Crazy Hand, Master Giant, Master Beast, Master Blades, Master Clone, Master Fortress 1, Master Fortress 2, Master Core)

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Im sure there has been in some JRPG.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    Didn't Wild Arms 3 have like 13 forms for its final boss?

• Options
    Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Prime wrote: »
    How good can the amiibos get? I've been using mine a fair bit.

Apparently good enough to place high in some human tournaments, though computer-perfect reflexes and more damaging attacks than normal are a huge factor.
    Enlong wrote: »
    Yeah, those are all Smash Run enemies.

The floating blobs are Plasma Wisps, the ones crawling on walls and ceilings are Zoomers, the ones firing lasers at you are Lethiniums, and the ones with shields and stuff are Stalfoses.

I'm just glad that Master Fortress contains no Reapers, Ornes, or Clubberskulls.

It's been a while since I've taken a crack at Master Fortress, so I haven't gotten a chance to just check for myself, but can you just grab the Stalfoses? Killing them is one of the biggest problems I've had with Fortress, though I completely forgot to even try grabbing them instead of trying to hit them past their shields.

Emperor_Z on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    If you caught the boss rush, Lavos has like 50 forms.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Speaking of Master Fortress..clearing Classic with every character at 7.0 before taking a crack at it really paid off. I can usually get through all of its regular forms without losing a life, so I basically have two full stocks to beat Master Fortress.

• Options
    MaytagMaytag Registered User regular
    Anyone up for some smashing? Really could use some practice.

3DS: 1392 - 5070 - 7853
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Anyone know if I give my amiibo stat boosts via feeding it those blocks, do I have to hit the customize button in the top right to take effect or does it just retain it's boosted stats always?

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    Man, I'd love to get a capture device so I can stream finals.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options

Didn't @AshtonDragon‌ use a capture card for the video he posted earlier?

• Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I wonder how much data a round of Smash Bros uses. I could use my phone as a wifi hotspot and have flawless internet for a tournament if it didn't use that much data, or the tournament fell the night before my billing cycle restarted.

My ping basically goes up during the evenings but I can play just fine during the day, you know, when all of you are at work.

McFlynn on
  • Options
    pawa24pawa24 Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I'm so freaking pissed off right now.
    I finally bought an amiibo of the only variety that showed up to the base here in Japan. I go to use it and nothing happens.
    I have tried every single step I can google to make it work.
    My 2 year old son likes to get ahold of the gamepad and has dropped it on multiple occasions, to the point where the corner where the NFC is, is cracked.
    So I'm either faced with a defective amiibo or a NFC that doesn't work on my gamepad.
    I'm pretty sure it's the gamepad and I'm trying to buy a new one and can't find it online or in store anywhere.
    If you guys happen to find one, post me a link please.

Edit: Verified with Nintendo customer support that the game pad is broken.

pawa24 on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I am about to commence Smashing.

• Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular

Didn't @AshtonDragon‌ use a capture card for the video he posted earlier?
    I used one of these. Getting an external device like this is so much more convenient than a capture card. As long as your thing uses HDMI, it couldn't possibly be simpler.

...well, recording stuff from the PS3 requires some shenanigans, but there's no issues from the other consoles.

• Options
    pawa24 wrote: »
    I'm so freaking pissed off right now.
    I finally bought an amiibo of the only variety that showed up to the base here in Japan. I go to use it and nothing happens.
    I have tried every single step I can google to make it work.
    My 2 year old son likes to get ahold of the gamepad and has dropped it on multiple occasions, to the point where the corner where the NFC is, is cracked.
    So I'm either faced with a defective amiibo or a NFC that doesn't work on my gamepad.
    I'm pretty sure it's the gamepad and I'm trying to buy a new one and can't find it online or in store anywhere.
    If you guys happen to find one, post me a link please.

Edit: Verified with Nintendo customer support that the game pad is broken.

If I remember right, the only place you can buy new gamepads is Nintendo of Japan's website. But that information is from launch. The only other ways to get another pad is used on ebay or if Nintendo "repairs" your console.

And a new pad is supposed to be around $150. You can buy a refurbished WiiU in the states from Nintendo for 200. I don't know what options are available to you in your situation.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    You can send it in for repair, but that would put you out a system for a couple weeks. Though maybe after the recent updates you can make do with just a pro controller for some games, I'm not sure.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    You can definitely start the system and use the menus with just a Pro Controller

You cannot change any of the system settings, though

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    uLIu1Oo.png
    Friday, December 19th @ 9:00pm EST
    Signups
    Steam Group
    First Place: A swanky Mega Man miniature helmet, courtesy of @‌maximumzero
    m8-LA9Y9IvtbXT7_LeD1S0w.jpg

Weekly tournaments continue! Nothing special to note except that there is a small prize this week for our winner, and also we've rotated back to Friday so please keep that in mind. If you'd like to donate anything to the tournaments for prizes, then don't hesitate to PM me.
    1. Double Elimination, with regular matches will be best of three 1v1 matches with three stocks. Winner, Loser, and Grand Finals will be best of five. If you have extra rules unlocked, the time should be eight minutes.
    2. The results of Sudden Death are ignored, and the player with the lowest damage percentage when time expires is the winner.
    3. Items, and equipment are banned; Custom Moves are allowed.
    4. Players may switch characters/moves between matches. The winner of the previous match opts to change first (notify your opponent of whom) and then the loser may change their character in turn.
    5. The following are starter stages picked at random when playing the first game of a set: 1. Battlefield, 2. Final Destination (or an identical Ω stage), 3. Duck Hunt, 4. Smashville, 5. Town and City, and 6. Lylat Cruise.
    6. After a match, the winner may ban two stages. Then the loser picks the next stage, and which may be any of the starter stages or the following counterpick stages: Castle Siege, Delfino Plaza, Kongo Jungle, Pokemon Stadium 2, Mario Circuit (Wii U), Pilotwings, and Halberd. The loser may NOT pick a stage they have previously won on in that set.
    7. When a set is finished, report results on Challonge. If you wish, you can also report the scores of each match (how many KOs each player got), but this is optional. If a mistake is made, report it to me and it'll be fixed.
    8. Sets should take thirty minutes to complete. If after five minutes your opponent has not shown up, please contact me and you will win the set by default.
    9. Smasher's Agreement: a player make pick a stage not on this list if both players agree to it.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    MaytagMaytag Registered User regular
    Too late for me this time, already feeling it quite badly this week.

Haven't been practicing nearly enough lately as well.

3DS: 1392 - 5070 - 7853
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm gonna have to pass on that one too since it's the middle of the night for me.

• Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    I'll be hosting a Christmas party. It starts right around then, actually. Whoever wins, promise me you'll cherish that Mega Man helmet for goddamn ever.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options
    I'm not saying that you guys have to let me win this tournament with my boy, Mega Man

But if I don't win this tournament whoever knocks me out is a goddmned monster

• Options
    I may be able to join this time.

And rest assured, I will dededestroy you.

• Options
    I believe I can make it. I'll know for sure with plenty of time to un-register.

• Options
    Anyone around who wants to smash?

dN0T6ur.png
This discussion has been closed.