As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Emu [Chat]

ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
So after WWI Australia had a large number of former soldiers decide to take up farming. The problem was that most of the really good farm land was already in use. So you get a large number of farms springing up on fairly marginal lands. Which can work when times are good but Australia wasn't immune to the effects of the Great Depression. Farmers were encouraged to grow more and more wheat with promises of subsidies that never came. Wheat prices dropped like a stone and to make matters worse, Emus decided they liked this newly cleared land. All of this is the recipe for explosive discontent. And the Australian goverment decided a short, victorious little war would be just the thing.

So the looked around for a group they could declare war on. And they settled on these guys.
PR0ftTb.jpg
A Blood Thirsty Warrior Emu.

Now one of the things that the soldiers learned in WWI was that machine guns were amazing at killing people running over an open field. So the Australian goverment sent two soldiers with a Lewis Machine Gun and 10,000 rounds of ammunition along with a film crew to go after the Emu. And they figured "How hard can this be?" The Emu is flightless, it's not very bright and they've got machine guns. But they ran into some problems. First, the estimates where that there were 20,000 Emus terrorizing the farms by eating things and making hideous noises. Second, they had one machine gun and many groups of Emu. Third, the Emu is fast. It can sprint up to 50 km/h. Fourth, they are surprisingly durable.

The first encounter was with a small flock of 50 that settlers tried to drive into the machine gun emplacement. They killed "a number" which is military speak for "not very many" in this case. Then they tried an ambush. It didn't work much better. They tried to get mobile. They mounted the machine gun to a truck. This didn't work. And it became a bit of a laughing stock. By the time the machine gun team was withdrawn, they had fired 2,500 rounds and gotten maybe 200 Emu. Probably less.
1ASD2dk.jpg
If we had a military division with the bullet-carrying capacity of these birds it would face any army in the world...They can face machine guns with the invulnerability of tanks. They are like Zulus whom even dum-dum bullets could not stop. -Major G.P.W. Meredith, veteran of the Emu war.

But the plucky Australians proclaimed they wouldn't be defeated by the devil birds. More forces were poured into it. And they claimed a whopping 986 kills with 2,500 wounded. And soon the Australians realized that despite their proclamation...they were losing to the birds. So they withdrew their military again, did their best to forget about their loss and set up a much more effective bounty system.

Thus the Emu War ended.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Three minutes. I will endeavor to be faster in the future.

• Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    Is my friend correct : Is ''alrighty-o!'' the whitest expression ever?

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    ouch new thread

it's gunna pinch my heels with every step until i break it in

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Hachface wrote: »
    ouch new thread

it's gunna pinch my heels with every step until i break it in

Feeling crabby?

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    I think I really like directors who have a distinct style more than anything else

Kubrick, Anderson, Tarantino, Kurosawa, now Jeunet

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    What i was gonna say: I like eyes with pretty colours a whole lot, and, hell I wish I looked like that

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    I think I had a relationship pretty much only based on her fantastic green eyes, once

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    I think I really like directors who have a distinct style more than anything else

Kubrick, Anderson, Tarantino, Kurosawa, now Jeunet

For some reason I read that as dictators. Oh...that's the whiskey

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    My last relationship I realized the next morning, seeing her in the light with her glasses off, what beautiful eyes she had

It's strange how different someone can look without glasses

Beautiful but in a completely different way

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    my dad and i were driving around to get to work and he had some talk radio show on

the topic was the us' national film preservation board, with the host asking what movie would you give the opposite treatment

rather than preserving it forever for future generations, what film should we find all copies of and basically ET it, burn them all, bury them away

some lady calls in and says "Pulp Fiction!!" and the radio host, my dad, and i all just shout in unison "WHAT?!"

• Options
    my dad and i were driving around to get to work and he had some talk radio show on

the topic was the us' national film preservation board, with the host asking what movie would you give the opposite treatment

rather than preserving it forever for future generations, what film should we find all copies of and basically ET it, burn them all, bury them away

some lady calls in and says "Pulp Fiction!!" and the radio host, my dad, and i all just shout in unison "WHAT?!"

Tarantino is one of those guys I GUESS I can understand if someone hated?
    But everything he does hits me in the exact right spot

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    As a giant hip hop fan I am not averse to "sampling", as it were

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular

I'd like to submit for board approval the term the "Q Spot" to describe this phenomena

• Options
    She's a pretty strange girl but Jesus Kristus, those eyes

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    I didn't think Tarantino could crush my
    Q spot any harder, then he discovered Christoph waltz

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    The girl that i have a something with now also, unsurprisingly since I like her, has pretty eyes

I think I said something along the lines of most colorful brown eyes ive seen, a year or so ago

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    I almost want to show you her abd to see if you agree

I showed a video of her to a friend and her first response was wow she has pretty eyes

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    A fellow eye enthusiast

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    Amelie refuses to get mad about a guy who'll eat borscht all his life in a hat like a tea cozy!

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014

yeah if he's not your flavor it's not as if you're gonna forget he's directing the movie

incidentally that's why I love him. I enjoy feeling the camera. lingering takes mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options

I showed a video of her to a friend and her first response was wow she has pretty eyes

I actually have a cropped picture of miss green eyes' green eyes on my phone
    p2kjpxrwneo8.jpg

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Because.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Variable wrote: »

yeah if he's not your flavor it's not as if you're gonna forget he's directing the movie

incidentally that's why I love him. I enjoy knowing the person is directing. lingering takes mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Like inglorious basterds is not tarantinos best

But it has at least 3 or 4 scenes that should be in director textbooks

Just lingering

Building tension

Maybe it's just waltz who is so incredible but

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Hah Card Against Humanity in Tabletop Simulator

nice

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »

p2kjpxrwneo8.jpg

Those eyes being the same color as the grass (?) in the background

The Zooey deschanel bangs

Wai...waifu...

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options

incidentally that's why I love him. I enjoy knowing the person is directing. lingering takes mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Like inglorious basterds is not tarantinos best

But it has at least 3 or 4 scenes that should be in director textbooks

Just lingering

Building tension

Maybe it's just waltz who is so incredible but

Inglorious Basterds wasn't fantastic but, all those scenes truly were

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

p2kjpxrwneo8.jpg

Wai...waifu...

Its a green backdrop thingy. Chosen on purpose. Photography student.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

p2kjpxrwneo8.jpg

Wai...waifu...

So dishonest... Why would a waifu do such a thing...

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    it had enough incredible scenes that I'll call it a good movie

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Night is slowly turning to dawn. If im lucky ill see the surprise from this ferry. Suspect it will come between this and the next one.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

Definitely good! Just not tarantinos best. I don't know that I can even rank tarantinos movies

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    In a lot of ways I think Basterds might actually be his best movie. Maybe not the most fun or iconic, but I'm hard pressed to think of another Tarantino movie that is doing so many things simultaneously, from a thematic and motif standpoint

• Options

p2kjpxrwneo8.jpg

Wai...waifu...

Not so much dishonest as being skilled enough to make photos honest. Eye colour is super hard to capture.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

p2kjpxrwneo8.jpg

Wai...waifu...

Not so much dishonest as being skilled enough to make photos honest. Eye colour is super hard to capture.

Haha I know I'm only kidding. It's a striking image, even with only the eyes

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    In a lot of ways I think Basterds might actually be his best movie. Maybe not the most fun or iconic, but I'm hard pressed to think of another Tarantino movie that is doing so many things simultaneously, from a thematic and motif standpoint

I honestly don't think I could argue with someone thinking pretty much any of tarantinos movies are best

I guess django. The last chunk is too much wish fulfillment (basically inglorious basterds too, but the opening scene, the restaurant scene, the bar scene...)

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    Autocorrect you're killing me. Sunrise. Not surprise you twat.

Also the fjord looks great in the twilight. Grey-blue sea and sky. Black mountains and land. Orange lights of a port or farm or a town.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Yeah i meant like, good but not his greatest, and not like not good

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    The blue hour has passed and everything is the dark grey of a cloudy winter morning here in the west land

The peaks of Stord covered in snow, blending in with the colour of the low grey clouds, wind turbines slicing through them

The sweeping light of the lighthouse in the distance, by the entrance to the North sea, the white of the waves crashing against the rocks, shoals painted fiery orange by the guide signs for the hydrofoils, the ferry banking in the turn and rolling in the old waves

It has been too long since I travelled

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Gatdam Dying Light looks like a hot plate of ass.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    What do you call those big, rolling old waves that come from afar?

We call them dønninger

ftOqU21.png
This discussion has been closed.