As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Curious Critters: The [Pet] Thread [NSF56k/Those Without Souls]

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Yup that's it. He didn't kill any more over night, so maybe the rest will coexist now that he's made his point

• Options
    If not I will just get a little bottom feeder guy or something maybe

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's been a while, but I COME BEARING PUPPIES. A pair of huskies.

rj3dsN0.jpg
    Meet Wade, the Mutt With a Mouth (He's not a mutt, but the name works better that way)

HjuwxXK.jpg
    FTLzLjX.jpg

mXBZCrs.jpg
    And his sister, Severlyn, because my wife is a dork

gnbGOo7.jpg
    She didn't enjoy her bath

THE LOVE EACH OTHER VERY MUCH
    sFhVPkz.jpg
    iX6Tne0.jpg

They're from the same litter, but there is a pretty significant size difference between the two
    x6F0N62.jpg
    Pretty sure we got both ends of the spectrum. Alpha and runt of the litter.

• Options
    EupfhoriaEupfhoria Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    huskies (and malamutes) are the best dogs. It is known

I actually should not have read this topic, now I just miss the family dog and realized I don't even have a good photo of him :(

Eupfhoria on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Eupfhoria wrote: »

I actually should not have read this topic, now I just miss the family dog and realized I don't even have a good photo of him :(

We don't have the room for a malamute but I desperately want one.

On the other hand, when we do have a proper house for one, the shorter lifespan and health issues seem pretty daunting.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Docshifty wrote: »

We don't have the room for a malamute but I desperately want one.

On the other hand, when we do have a proper house for one, the shorter lifespan and health issues seem pretty daunting.

Big dogs are simply too awesome for reality to handle for long.

• Options
    EupfhoriaEupfhoria Registered User regular
    eh, knowing nothing of the specifics of your situation but I would say if you can handle huskies you can handle a malamute. In my experience they have similar needs for space, temperments, and whatnot

the health issues I have seen, though. Our old malamute had pretty bad joint/bone issues in his old age, but then again he was a 160 lb beast who lived for over 15 years

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    eh, knowing nothing of the specifics of your situation but I would say if you can handle huskies you can handle a malamute. In my experience they have similar needs for space, temperments, and whatnot

the health issues I have seen, though. Our old malamute had pretty bad joint/bone issues in his old age, but then again he was a 160 lb beast who lived for over 15 years

A smaller end malamute, yeah, but the living room and hallways just don't have the room to accommodate that animal moving through the house. They're also more expensive and nobody in the area has any. Had to drive 300 miles just for the huskies.

One more because oh my GOD

xSoIDnZ.jpg

Docshifty on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    This is Wrex. He is 12 pounds, pure muscle and exquisite structure. That is why he is named Wrex, because he is a prime example of the Chihuahua species.
    Also, because he has been neutered. In other words, we have inflicted the genophage upon him.
    Wrex_zps8e720dcd.jpg

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    @Shadowfire,

I hope one day your little guy squints at you and says in a gruff voice "...Shepard."

All this thread activity reminds me that I need to find some pics on my computer of my dog and share.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    It's bee a while since I posted my tank!

I got a new shrimp buddy.
    szt9EUj.jpg

Also, two other new additions!
    0BbZABu.jpg

Those two little fellas are a pair of Mini Musk Turtles. I got them from a conservationalist here in Seattle who breeds them. They are dwarf species of your common Musk turtles. Unlike other musk turtles, who usually grow to be about 4-6 inches, these little guys tend to max out at 2-3 inches, with the exceptionally large females topping out at 3.5 inches. They spend about 90-95% of their time in the water, don't really bask at all, and are super friendly to other aquarium friends.

I was on a wait list for over a year for these little fellows. Some time in the next two years or so, I'll have to upgrade the tank to at least a 20 gallon to give them the proper room to grow, but for a while still, this little 10 gallon tank is perfect for them. My goal eventually is to get them into a 30 gallon long tank, with a portion of it being above water with actual dirt so they can lay eggs. It is technically impossible to know yet, but they should be a pair and they are from different breeding lines.

As far as the breeder knows, he is the only one to document and study these turtles, and they are found in a single lake (which he closely guards the location to), so they are very much in danger of being wiped out completely. He studied them for about five years before attempting to remove a breeding pair to start up his conservation efforts, just to make sure that he didn't crash their wild population by doing so. So I'm really hopeful I can get my pair to breed at some point and help keep the species going.

And for your viewing pleasure, more adorableness:
    eQJ0mXi.jpg
    0SDlLX3.jpg
    cH59VEy.jpg
    SLSktlw.jpg
    oOkdsdW.jpg
    kzopT73.jpg

Mvrck on
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    This is Wrex. He is 12 pounds, pure muscle and exquisite structure. That is why he is named Wrex, because he is a prime example of the Chihuahua species.
    Also, because he has been neutered. In other words, we have inflicted the genophage upon him.
    Wrex_zps8e720dcd.jpg

That's actually a pretty good looking Chihuahua. Congrats on finding a unicorn!

• Options
    Sev dislikes being in the pen without a person there.

I might have fallen asleep in it with them last night.

Maybe.

But you can't prove anything.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Wrex_zps8e720dcd.jpg

Shepard

• Options
    JB6yRCC.jpg

So here is where the pups are. Wade is small enough he gnaws on the pen, and has gotten his top jaw stuck three times. So I had to sit there and line it with chicken wire today. Thanks, puppy.

Not that it matters, they mostly end up sleeping on the bed with us. Sev sleeps along the top of my pillow, while Wade kind of wanders, either along my wife's pillow, burrowed between us, or on top of his sister.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    God I want an aquarium.

This thread made me look up pictures of aquariums and they are so fucking awesome and expensive and pretty and cool and expensive and neat and expensive.

RT800 on
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    But after my pet lizard died I told myself I would never again be responsible for another living thing.

• Options
    Apparently my wife got some pictures of her own.

10801764_962114473808309_1609443074551778721_n.jpg?oh=65ea5ca85532ba0fb5396417295caf30&oe=558C3CCF&__gda__=1431345734_abe98d58c8a5e3a7e724cf645024c8aa

10982455_962114417141648_7589248175233845487_n.jpg?oh=a34610712fe6db65eee5d636e02963cd&oe=555CE8ED

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Hi everyone, this is Fred!

qwg0ykae84vv.jpg

Fred is a miniature pinscher, aged approx. 12 yrs. I got him about ten years ago in a rather strange story that I'd rather not get into. He was the runt of his litter and has pretty much always had dental issues his whole life, due to milk teeth not falling out and adult teeth growing in sideways. So every year or so during a routine vet visit, I'd have to get a tooth or two extracted, despite weekly brushing. This finally culminated in a visit a couple of years ago where the vet said it would be better for everyone to just remove all his teeth. So my little old dog currently has no teeth but a much better quality of life. The side effect of this is that his tongue does not stay in his mouth and hangs out all the time.

Here are a couple of pictures I found on my computer from when Fred was much younger. The tag says 2006 so he must have been about 3 in this picture:
    4mp86mmz1apm.jpg

This was actually a cat tent that I found at a Big Lots one day and he loved burrowing in that thing
    8371zh80u5r7.jpg

The tent is long gone, but Fred still loves burrowing in blankets and sitting on my lap. My mom calls him my "little red shadow" because he's always within a couple feet of either my wife or me when we're at home.
    cf8t3ik2gh0t.jpg

Fred loves going for car rides! If you ask him "do you want to go for a ride?" he will start making a high-pitched noise while bouncing super high in the air, as if to say "Yes! Yes, I do want to go! Don't forget about me!" Once in the car he settles down and will happily nap in your lap or on his pillow-bed thing for hours.
    y45ktjpyyja7.jpg

edit: dates because I'm bad at maths

m!ttens on
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    s0a427y0qe9t.jpg

This is Abby. She's the sweetest girl, and is pretty sure she's actually the one who is married to my husband. She cuddles up against his chest every night. We got her from the shelter 11 years ago, and sadly she now has aggressive mammary cancer and is on palliative care. We're going to be devastated when she's gone.

8anuu9op5dbo.jpg

This is Giles, aka the Giant Monster Kitten of DOOM. He was a dumpster-diving kitten who was rescued at 5 months. When we adopted him last March, he was small and painfully thin. We kind of missed the obvious hints that were his long legs and ginormous paws. He is now twelve pounds of all cat, no fat. He loves to play, create his own improvised toys because the million actual cat toys we own are NOT ENOUGH, knock things off shelves, and chew on cables. He's actually a big loveable moosh, he's just still learning how to live with hu-mans. He's got some hilarious teenage, "Aw, MOM, you never let me have any fun!" looks.

After the loss of several charging cables and headphones one dread night in August, all our cables are now covered in split loom cable wrap. If you ever need to do the same, get this stuff instead of the cable protectors that are marketed specifically for cat/rodent owners. It is sturdier, easy to apply, comes in various sizes, and is super duper cheap.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    The puppies are getting bigger! Well, Sev is, but Wade is still tiny. However, he has some....quirks.

When he's in the pen, or on the bed, when he doesn't want to be, he whines, but he makes sure he has a toy in his mouth when he does it. He rarely even touches the toys unless he wants to whine.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hujGBm66FAw

Also, there is a commercial for a local car dealer where the guy acts like a woman accepting an award. My god, Wade dislikes the voice so much.
    http://youtu.be/hH6yg0WthMA

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    CUTE PUPPY PICS INBOUND! YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!

Meet Daisy! She's the newest member of the Dover family!

1510519_10205956541898624_1152834710697698005_n.jpg?oh=31f0caa5ad41e8c8d64fff0b513d7871&oe=55B62299
    "OMG, SO CUTE!"

She's a Cavalier Spaniel that we bought from a breeder in the Midwest. They even gave us a discount because "she doesn't have the perfect matching brown circles around both eyes." Are you kidding me? It makes her look like she has a black eye...which gives her immediate street cred. Not that anyone would be afraid of such a cute puppy.

10801701_10205942262501648_1078571126159138608_n.jpg?oh=05dd81ad0bf5c294f6fc24737001de2e&oe=55B4758C
    "You talkin' to me?! You must be, I don't see anyone else around."

10931368_10205960622480636_2886328832961709106_n.jpg?oh=c247effffa2dee9d9661877a28dc96ff&oe=55A9B4F4&__gda__=1434278289_6bd0ef6f9a1cf41ad1122ce52437d23e
    "Even when she's cuddling, she looks like she's plotting."

The wife and I got her when she was only 8 weeks old. She just passed 14 weeks and has had her last round of shots.

1558489_10205986338483520_6885790811011758345_n.jpg?oh=7ff578f17728fee9c16c7f274b87e1f2&oe=55B48054
    "Where did you hide my toys?!"

10418163_10205986338683525_2583425687553556749_n.jpg?oh=39f987cfe2086814817135ff3b1c8799&oe=557C5129
    "I have ways of making you talk!"

10999316_10206013148233747_5333553747879494388_n.jpg?oh=e4f6813391dc4efea89d231a4895d1c2&oe=556F989C&__gda__=1433829369_ad1d8871b5abe7b2a25b5fc5ac29d188
    "And no Nintendog would be complete without her buddy and playmate Plush Daisy. Note that the Plushy in the picture no longer has it's earrings or crown. There can be only one Princess Daisy in this house."

On top of being cute, she's really smart too. Has already learned quite a few commands and pics up things pretty easily. Still working on the potty training, but that will be a while before we're ready to trust her to roam the house unattended.

10246743_10205942450306343_5071179731599029113_n.jpg?oh=7e8bf50506a09cd6fa90095caace6e48&oe=55B5FADE
    Daisy enjoys sleeping, napping, and resting.

10885252_10205960622760643_6196767843373775952_n.jpg?oh=fd8d24a518884df5605b9ce52f840e39&oe=55ABC03E&__gda__=1438100801_f96b1e61d35b47c1b84eb0fb5de779ca
    "Catching more ZZZzzzz time on her old pillow before upgrading her to a bed."

10952413_10205944426755753_6911826216986851286_n.jpg?oh=9064215b2bf483d78d06a27dcc67cc38&oe=55AF5F54&__gda__=1433569579_018a586d09c830a587d8d03a8d5a80c5
    "I give up coppers!"

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    dawww!

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »
    Hi everyone, this is Fred!

https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/1l/qwg0ykae84vv.jpg

Fred is a miniature pinscher, aged approx. 12 yrs. I got him about ten years ago in a rather strange story that I'd rather not get into. He was the runt of his litter and has pretty much always had dental issues his whole life, due to milk teeth not falling out and adult teeth growing in sideways. So every year or so during a routine vet visit, I'd have to get a tooth or two extracted, despite weekly brushing. This finally culminated in a visit a couple of years ago where the vet said it would be better for everyone to just remove all his teeth. So my little old dog currently has no teeth but a much better quality of life. The side effect of this is that his tongue does not stay in his mouth and hangs out all the time.

Here are a couple of pictures I found on my computer from when Fred was much younger. The tag says 2006 so he must have been about 3 in this picture:
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/ne/4mp86mmz1apm.jpg

This was actually a cat tent that I found at a Big Lots one day and he loved burrowing in that thing
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/i3/8371zh80u5r7.jpg

The tent is long gone, but Fred still loves burrowing in blankets and sitting on my lap. My mom calls him my "little red shadow" because he's always within a couple feet of either my wife or me when we're at home.
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/u8/cf8t3ik2gh0t.jpg

Fred loves going for car rides! If you ask him "do you want to go for a ride?" he will start making a high-pitched noise while bouncing super high in the air, as if to say "Yes! Yes, I do want to go! Don't forget about me!" Once in the car he settles down and will happily nap in your lap or on his pillow-bed thing for hours.
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/38/y45ktjpyyja7.jpg

edit: dates because I'm bad at maths

My grandmother used to breed miniature pinschers, so we've always had one or two growing up.

Also visiting her meant that we would sneak several puppies into our bedroom at a time.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    My apartment-mates in college kept lizards and snakes. Between them, they had a couple of ball pythons, two baby red-tailed boas, two Eastern hog-nosed snakes, two bearded dragons, a gecko, and a gorgeous six-foot red-tailed boa named Atlantis, and a rotating assortment of other reptiles. (One of my roommates worked at PetCo, and was constantly bringing home animals that had been in the store too long and were malnourished. They tended not to last long, but their last days were comfortable. (I don't know if it was corporate policy, or just that store; but their lizards in particular were fed the equivalent of potato chips because it was cheaper, and it was assumed that they would be bought quickly and fed a better diet in their new homes. Those that weren't purchased fast enough developed bone deformations from calcium deficiency and were basically left to slowly starve to death.))

Anyway, the tank we had for the ball pythons had large holes in the top - for aquarium equipment, I guess? - and the snakes would routinely escape and go to ground somewhere. They were too fat to get out of the apartment, so we didn't worry about it too much. After about a week, they'd get hungry and start moving around, and then you could find them by the rustling, scoop them up and put them back in the tank. A few days after feeding they'd be gone again. Ball pythons are such mellow creatures, though, and getting a massage from a snake wrapped around your arm is the weirdest, coolest feeling. They aren't really affectionate, but they do get comfortable enough with their owners to hang out on your shoulders and go to sleep.

Calica on
  • Options
    Our Daisy graduated Puppy Training Level 1 today!

18620_10206341633005661_9041550923534907752_n.jpg?oh=762c6d5a9a28512cbaf7a3177c3aaede&oe=5573B4FF

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    This is my dog, Millie.

(picture below)
    IMG00125-20100829-0217.jpg

spoiler for sad....
    I'm feeling very sad because tomorrow we have to put her to sleep. shes 16 years old and her body is just giving up on her. She has a lot of lumps all over her body....we haven't been able to take her for walks for about a year, maybe longer, because even a short walk was like taking her on a death march. She was pretty much ok at home though, we'd let her out to the backyard and she would be ok.

In the past week or so she has rapidly deteriorated. She has this bad, lurching cough that just saps all her energy. When she goes to poop... she basically goes unconscious / has some kind of seizure. This is all within the last week.

We made the choice to put her down on thursday but tomorrow is the earliest the vet can do it. We are getting the vet to come to our house to do it which is nice, it would be too stressful on millie to bring her to the vet.

The worst part is she is still "with it" mentally. She can't really hear that well anymore, but you can see she still tries to be a normal dog.... and that is the most heart breaking part for me.

so here i am... biding the time... the last day i have with my dog...

:(

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Aw shit man, my sympathies.

• Options
    I hemmed and hawed about making a post but i think it helps me to talk about it

• Options
    Daisy handled the bath like a boss. So cute!

17197_10206436147648468_7324706149423839728_n.jpg?oh=f61450e25197b9f09b9f699187b5b221&oe=55AFCCD1

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Be careful. That much concentrated cute can be considered a lethal weapon in some states.

• Options
    That dog is goddamn adorable, but looking at the pictures, I feel like I would constantly be thinking "Look at me, dammit!"

• Options
    Also

Before
    10981199_986226708063752_8363162802814327477_n.jpg?oh=542bc73e77c6ba657f0bd023245ded78&oe=55AD478C&__gda__=1436595174_a6efa44867fd550abee3be49e27ddfba

After
    1381806_986226731397083_3270129886060466217_n.jpg?oh=feb2f73fe2934986a2ad74d66f0dc2d4&oe=55E1AEDD

• Options
    Docshifty wrote: »
    That dog is goddamn adorable, but looking at the pictures, I feel like I would constantly be thinking "Look at me, dammit!"

Oh she's always lookin' at me....

11071407_10206436149008502_3106181089549181516_n.jpg?oh=9a91e4d98c68ea6ad0779a20c9da8373&oe=55A24B12&__gda__=1437701495_ef1e992952927e1bf2b77bd6506d407c

...except when she's not....

10428685_10206436148568491_2074185595603164140_n.jpg?oh=d5ef92803392cc720030ef63b8a14716&oe=55A6F434

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Some of these pictures my wife got

10686709_968193319867091_1212176212749828852_n.jpg?oh=51c3d0633263a6c6d7484523fba766f4&oe=55A7A49A

Tilly has some bad hair days
    1508011_778661615486930_2063954638_n.jpg?oh=8d6c99ed9a7a6f5516b2d75599315263&oe=55E24F09&__gda__=1437482016_0b986bcb3f4e7f8211d3792b559defa4

• Options
    In other pet news, my turtle thinks he is a gopher now.
    iaAk1gp.png

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    In other pet news, my turtle thinks he is a gopher now.
    iaAk1gp.png

Ah, the elusive hermit turtle.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    wrong thread derp

Shadowen on
  • Options
    so we got our dog millie (who we recently had to put to sleep) DNA tested for shits and giggles. she looks exactly like a black lab with a little bit of a brown sheen that you can see in the right lighting. we always assumed she was like 3/4s black lab and the rest ???.

we were uh... we were pretty wrong.

results :
    most genetic composition is....burnese mountain dog
    even genetic composition of: german shepard, golden retriever, welsh corgi (LOL @ this), flat coated retriever.

so she definitely did have some retriever in her, but boy was she ever a mutt. probably why she lived to 16. also explains why her favourite spot was an ottoman - that was her mountain.

• Options
    Spoiler alert: doggie DNA tests are made by snake oil salesmen and don't have any accuracy to speak of. I do understand why you'd want to make a connection with Millie's past though.