As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Discuss National Infrastructure And Also Kirby In The [Nintendo] Thread

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »
    Well, the last Donkey Kong games before Retro did it was the bongos one, barrel blast and DK64.

Returns and Tropical Freeze are not forgiving games, but they're a lot of fun and closer to the first two DKC games.

Yeah, I should clarify--I really really like DKCR and Tropical Freeze. They're incredibly fun platformers. But playing them does not feel like playing Donkey Kong Country or Donkey Kong Country 2 much at all. They feel like solid 2D platformers loosely based on the Donkey Kong Country franchise, and while that's great, it's not what I wanted from a new Donkey Kong Country game.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Just gonna drop a concept on all your heads right now

What if there was a new F-Zero that was modeled after Burnout Paradise

I just want an f-zero based on the snes/gba one and not the n64 one.

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    I'm going to come out and say that the retro games are better then the rareware ones.

• Options
    What if there was a new F-Zero

You're talking crazy, man.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I'm going to come out and say that the retro games are better then the rareware ones.

Controls aren't as tight, level design is much more basic, Sonic-style water mechanics, lack of buddies other than Rambi, lack of switchable/interactable partners.

But the biggest problem with those games, is something I'm going to call "downtime". I still haven't beaten the final boss of Tropical Freeze. You wanna know why? I start battle, skip the opening little animation (which is nice the first time but shouldn't happen after that), then wait for his little animations to finish so he can drop the guys you have to throw at him to get him to even come into the front pane where you can fight him, then run around trying to fake him out so I can even hit him with it. Then god forbid I screw up at ALL during this part or I have to go through that 20-second-at-best sequence again. Then we move onto the next sequence which is similar but with a couple of twists and more animations and delays and stuff. The amount of time I spend active--dodging things, throwing things, jumping on things--is probably about equal to the amount of time I spend just waiting. So when inevitably I screw up or reach something new and die, I have to sit through it all again. And again. It's slow. Repeating this doesn't feel like a fun challenge, it's just tedious.

The YouTube video of a fairly flawless run of this battle is almost 6 minutes, compared to the less than 3.5 minute DKC2 final battle, in which you are doing something for nearly every second. The couple of seconds of downtime between stages of the battle are rewards, a chance to catch your breath after performing the difficult, but tightly controlled and quickly memorized sequence that preceded it (and then the secret boss battle even did away with that and just made it one single minute-and-a-half sequence). Repeating this doesn't get tedious, because you don't have time to think about it. And even better, because it keeps moving, you can get into a pattern and let your developing muscle memory take over. In Tropical Freeze, that momentum is constantly interrupted, and it makes the difficult levels incredibly frustrating.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    Just gonna drop a concept on all your heads right now

What if there was a new F-Zero that was modeled after Burnout Paradise

if a game like this were announced, I would immediately go out and buy a wiiu

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Hullis wrote: »
    I really liked samus' out of suit outfit from that game

There I said something nice

Outside of beefy she warrioress samus, other m has my favorite interpretation of samus' model

Like the power suit or the PVC outfit with wedge heels?

her haircut+the outfit she's wearing when not on a mission

owns owns owns

• Options

Outside of beefy she warrioress samus, other m has my favorite interpretation of samus' model

owns owns owns

do you have a picture? I never played other m

• Options
    it's a little big but here's a decent one link

• Options
    okay yeah, aside from the weird anime face that's a good design

• Options
    it's the profile view, the face generally looks more hawkish than most anime faces, which I like

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    It's not a haircut she has when she's off-mission

It's the haircut she has in the past when she's being infantilized by her commanding officer (and also her author)

She never wears that outfit in the present day; I think the implication is that it predates her having the power suit or something

Other M liked to pretend that the Chozo didn't exist

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    oh right, I forgot about the past part

I dunno that I care about the context of the look itself though?

like it's still what I'd want her to look like if we're not gonna go full Super Metroid Instruction Manual

• Options
    which would be the best

• Options
    What did she look like in the instruction manual

Or are you referring to the fact that she used to make She-Ra look waifish

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    yeah, that image of her bein' all ripped as shit

it's from the player's guide, not the manual, my bad

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    We can appreciate things in other M even if the story is shit

What she wears and gameplay can be independent of story

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular

owns owns owns

Oh yeah, the army outfit. That's a good outfit. They should keep that in some form and ditch the rest.

Let's make her able to fit in her suit again without space magic while we're at it.

• Options

owns owns owns

Oh yeah, the army outfit. That's a good outfit. They should keep that in some form and ditch the rest.

Let's make her able to fit in her suit again without space magic while we're at it.

how would the morph ball work then

• Options
    We can appreciate things in other M even if the story is shit

What she wears and gameplay can be independent of story

We don't want to go down the "what she wears in Other M' road either, though

That way lies darkness, and camera angles centered on her butt while she's in fetishwear

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Fine if we are going to over analyze everything

That specific outfit that she wears in that scene right there but not in the present that's a different no the past outfit

Is that clear enough

Can we talk about the army outfit now without feeling bad

Bluedude152 on
    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Never

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Prime 1 is the best

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular

owns owns owns

she curls up and does continuous somersaults

no one has the heart to tell her it would be easier to just crawl because she's really proud of her form

also, they're afraid she'll just shoot them

• Options

owns owns owns

Samus is 5'1 in Other M. The Power suit is still over 6 feet tall. Previously she had been about 6'3 which is the right height for the current and previous size of the Power Suit.

The only space magic should be the morph ball.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    I'm going to come down on the side that the army outfit looks nice. Everything else about other M ranges from mediocre to actively detrimental to humanity as a whole just by existing.

But yeah, have Samus's downtime wear look like that, and forget everything else about the game, I'd be pretty okay with that. Of course, I'd want that design on classic 6' Korra style muscles Samus, but that basic design is a solid one. Unlike almost every other aesthetic decision in Other M.

• Options
    Speaking more seriously

My other big thing about the military outfit is the way it kind of erases the importance of the rest of Samus's backstory. Like, before this game (and Fusion I guess) I didn't know she used to be a proper member of the military or anything? But in Other M it's the only method of framing her past, and it's also used to set Adam as being her father figure, the one who raised her. It runs counter to the idea that Samus's family was the Chozo, growing up, and that she would have had some kind of familial ties there instead of in the military.

If I got to have my way I'd have Samus's downtime outfit be in some kind of... I don't know. Cool Chozo costume thing? That could be neat.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    She was part of the Federation at one point, but it was like a thing she just did before going freelance.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I prefer my Metroid without Samus back story. She's just a lady in a suit kicking space pirate ass.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    WHY YOU ASK?

because she can

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I don't really think Samus' chozo past and her military one need to be mutually exclusive, though.

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    There is absolutely room to flesh out Samus as a character, show her motivations and certain parts of her past and how they affect her

It just....hasn't been done well yet

• Options
    Metroid is a series that I think does best with the NES treatment, where the game only contains enough info to get you through and everything else you have to glean from the environment

Of all the games, Prime probably did this best

All the Space Pirate logs about Samus appearing being the Nintendo equivalent of "OMAR COMIN'" is pretty much everything I need

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Why is Samus on Zebes?

WHO CARES! PEW PEW!

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    She was part of the Federation at one point, but it was like a thing she just did before going freelance.

I like the Captain N backstory, honestly.

She was raised by the Chozo, then joined the Federation police to try and do some good. Not just standard desk jockey jobs. They're an elite unit, one in a million people has the qualifications.

Samus got in almost immediately.

But even they aren't good enough for some jobs. There's a special forces unit, the hunters. More independent, trained to be able to get the job done under any circumstances, the most elite of the elite. If the police are one in a million for the general populace, these guys only accept one in every million federation police officers. Samus was the youngest recruit in the history of the unit.

Then, after a while longer, she figured she'd learned what they could teach her, turned in her badge, and went freelance. Now she's a legend, to the point where Joe Space Marine doesn't believe she exists. No-one could be that good.

• Options
    There is absolutely room to flesh out Samus as a character, show her motivations and certain parts of her past and how they affect her

It just....hasn't been done well yet

Fusion got close!

• Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Speaking more seriously

My other big thing about the military outfit is the way it kind of erases the importance of the rest of Samus's backstory. Like, before this game (and Fusion I guess) I didn't know she used to be a proper member of the military or anything? But in Other M it's the only method of framing her past, and it's also used to set Adam as being her father figure, the one who raised her. It runs counter to the idea that Samus's family was the Chozo, growing up, and that she would have had some kind of familial ties there instead of in the military.

If I got to have my way I'd have Samus's downtime outfit be in some kind of... I don't know. Cool Chozo costume thing? That could be neat.

that outfit aesthetic isn't strictly military, is the thing

I think slight alterations can be made on it to fit any interpretation of the character

• Options
    Green LanternGreen Lantern Registered User regular
    That random character unlocking that mario kart 8 does is kinda annoying

• Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Metroid is a series that I think does best with the NES treatment, where the game only contains enough info to get you through and everything else you have to glean from the environment

That was part of the magic of early video games. They present you with a character, a world, and a little bit of player's manual context and you create the backstory.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I liked Fusion but thought it was a bit too much narrative

I'm all for developing Samus as a character, because there is a lot of real potential there, but it should be a lot more subtle imo.

This discussion has been closed.