As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Final Fantasy] is focused on Fighting Games and Freemium funfests

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    joshgotro wrote: »
    I haven't played Star Ocean since Second Story.

What have I missed?

Protagonists with ridiculous names, awful voice acting, and not a whole hell of a lot else.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    joshgotro wrote: »
    I haven't played Star Ocean since Second Story.

What have I missed?

A fantastic game in Star Ocean 3, good remakes of Star Ocean 1 & 2 by TOSE, and a trainwreck called Star Ocean 4. A third of the cast in SO4 was just plain bad that it overshadows everything to some players, the story wasn't a very high point to put it lightly, and the battle system was a huge step down from 3's.

As for tri-Ace in recent years, they've put out a couple mobile games, they did Phantasy Star Nova for Sega (which we will never see in the west because Sega hates the west), they were hired on by Square Enix to fix their shitty engine they used for FF13, did most of the working programming for FF13-2 but not the game design, and then were heavily involved and are responsible for most of the gameplay in FF13-3, which is fantastic. They've been busy, but they haven't been working on their own series lately.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Star Ocean 5 is cross gen? For what purpose? Or is it just their way of saying "Don't worry PS3 owners, we're not going to ignore your cries for an awesome new jRPG?"

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Star Ocean 5 is cross gen? For what purpose? Or is it just their way of saying "Don't worry PS3 owners, we're not going to ignore your cries for an awesome new jRPG?"

A vast number of JRPGs coming out are cross-gen. Many companies are loath to abandon the PS3 market over there yet.

The only ones so far that have fully committed to PS4 (+Vita) are Idea Factory, Nihon Falcom, and Nippon Ichi Software. Most other companies are hedging their bets with cross-gen.

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular

Probably for the same reason Persona 5 is. They can sell it to more people, and the PS4 version will be much cheaper to develop than a native PS4 game because the expectations are lower for cross-gen games. Hell, I'd be perfectly okay with any number of games getting PS3-level graphics and models and lighting and such, and then being 1080/60fps locked, which should totally be doable (and I hope is what we'll see with P5).

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    The first hour of Star Ocean 4 was one of the worst things I ever played. I say first hour because I was unable to continue playing past that with that voice acting.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Aw, guess there's no Star Ocean 5 for me.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    The first hour of Star Ocean 4 was one of the worst things I ever played. I say first hour because I was unable to continue playing past that with that voice acting.

You can always play it in Japanese.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

No that's even worse

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Scans are out for Star Ocean 5. <3

• Options
    Star Ocean 4 is a great example of how direction really matters. The cast is perfectly fine, with the leads being genuinely good voice actors, but the execution is awful.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular

No that's even worse

No joke, it is. One of the few only cases where the Japanese VA made me just mute the game VO entirely.

I'll be looking at Star Ocean 5 with a very skeptical eye.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Star Ocean 5? This will either be really really good or really really bad.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I am bound by law to buy Star Ocean 5 since Star Ocean 2 was my first ever RPG and it was really really REALLY good.

I played alot of 3 and even played 4 for 30 seconds!

• Options
    I enjoyed Star Ocean 1, greatly enjoyed Star Ocean 2, loved the hell out of Star Ocean 3, and had some fun out of the not-great Star Ocean 4.

Not being able to manually select targets manually in SO4 made it terrible to play a non-melee character and the whole stupid Backstab thing being player-controlled character only was retarded. IMO, it was Meracle or Arumat or bust for player controlled characters. Huge step down from the awesome SO3 battle system.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Did 4 do anything with 3's... *ahem* plot twist, or did they just casually completely ignore it? :)

Which probably begs the question on whether 5 will do the same or not.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular

`Kay

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Star Ocean 3 could possibly have the worst plot of any game I've ever played. I don't know if anything is even in the same league.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    I gotta say I largely disliked SO3 but moderately enjoyed SO4 once I started skipping all the cutscenes.

I actually really enjoyed playing the main girl too, vagrant, so I'll have to disagree with your melee only stance. :P

1 and 2 were great though. I like 1 a bit more, but both are great.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Did 4 do anything with 3's... *ahem* plot twist, or did they just casually completely ignore it? :)

Which probably begs the question on whether 5 will do the same or not.

4 Takes place way before 3, so it didn't touch it.

I never understood why there's a large number of people that got upset with 3's awesome 'twist' because it's a common as dirt high fantasy story with fantasy terms replaced on a one for one basis with sci-fi terms. There's literally tons of books and other video games/jrpgs with the exact same type of story. Shin Megami Tensei, the Xeno series, some Final Fantasies, some Tales of games, some ST!NG games, not to point out the literature and anime/manga that follow the same trials as later SO3.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Nah, it's dumb and terrible and this is the Final Fantasy thread so lets drop it anyways.

A duck! on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Ah. A commendable last word strategy.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    I respectfully disagree.
    The gods, creators of humanity, declare death to humanity.
    Humanity doesn't want to go quietly into the night and has acquired magical powers that allow them to combat the gods.
    The champions of humanity invade heaven with said magic and strike down the gods, protecting the existence of humanity and the world.

This is literally the plot of SO3.

It's also a plot used by SMT, two thirds of the Valkyrie Profile series, and countless other JRPGs. Not to mention God of War and other games.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    Do you have it out of your system now?

• Options
    Shortly after whining about not having any decent melee weapons I pull a four star Crystal Sword. Today is weapon upgrade day so I maxed it out. Dark Knight Cecil is now hitting for over 1000 damage a swing and it is beautiful.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular

Because next-gen launched 3 years too early.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I don't know about that, but it's not uncommon to keep releasing games for the older gen system. Heck they were still making games cross-gen for PS2 up until just last year I think. Not reason to exclude an entire market if the game can run on the older gens.

Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular

I don't know about that, but it's not uncommon to keep releasing games for the older gen system. Heck they were still making games cross-gen for PS2 up until just last year I think. Not reason to exclude an entire market if the game can run on the older gens.

Sure there is. It forces adoption and you're free from trying to work within the framework of last gen. It seems strange to me that with each successive console gen, manufacturers are more and more afraid of forcing hand.

Anytime you're going cross-gen, concessions are made that would otherwise not have to be made if the game wasn't cross-gen.

Bloodborne is the only reason to own a PS4 right now and many games set to launch this year that were pushed back into 2015 are now pushed into 2016. A quantity of quality exclusives and killer apps just aren't here yet.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I wish Square would release the Final Fantasy ports they did for windows phone (with achievements) for windows tablets. Or hopefully their releases for windows 10 phones will be easily portable to tablets. It's the perfect midpoint for me as I don't like staring into the small screens of phones/portables all that much.

Would even play FFRK if I could get it on my tablet, heh.

edit: not interested in it because it falls into a "challenge room" type of game, I prefer narrative driven.

tastydonuts on
  • Options

Sure there is. It forces adoption and you're free from trying to work within the framework of last gen. It seems strange to me that with each successive console gen, manufacturers are more and more afraid of forcing hand.

Anytime you're going cross-gen, concessions are made that would otherwise not have to be made if the game wasn't cross-gen.

Bloodborne is the only reason to own a PS4 right now and many games set to launch this year that were pushed back into 2015 are now pushed into 2016. A quantity of quality exclusives and killer apps just aren't here yet.

Yeah but that all ignores the financial gain, you are only looking at this from the perspective of the consumer.

Also saying that Bloodborne is the only reason to own a PS4 right now is just silly. That may be the case for you, but given the systems sold I would say that a gross exaggeration.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular

Yeah but that all ignores the financial gain, you are only looking at this from the perspective of the consumer.

Also saying that Bloodborne is the only reason to own a PS4 right now is just silly. That may be the case for you, but given the systems sold I would say that a gross exaggeration.

Eeeeeehhhhhh. A lot of people bought 4s and 1s because they were hungry for new consoles; that last gen went on far too long. There's plenty of rumbling about how little there is on either to actually play, though.

In "something actually related to the Final Fantasy thread so I don't piss off Steak" news, last thing I did in FF13 was Palompolum (sp?), and I have had no desire to turn it back on since. This game is boooooooooring, and I don't see that ever changing. I will happily entertain arguments that I'm wrong.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

I don't understand where this sentiment came from. This last gen was largely agreed as the longest generation so far, and that it went on at least two to three years too long. Lately people say this generation started too early, and just... What?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Houn wrote: »

Eeeeeehhhhhh. A lot of people bought 4s and 1s because they were hungry for new consoles; that last gen went on far too long. There's plenty of rumbling about how little there is on either to actually play, though.

In "something actually related to the Final Fantasy thread so I don't piss off Steak" news, last thing I did in FF13 was Palompolum (sp?), and I have had no desire to turn it back on since. This game is boooooooooring, and I don't see that ever changing. I will happily entertain arguments that I'm wrong.

The end game is fighting giant turtles. You are wrong. :P

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular

The end game is fighting giant turtles. You are wrong. :P

But, I don't want to fight turtles. I like turtles!
    tmnt-liveaction-header.jpg

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    edit: nvm

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I had the most fun with 13 once I hit Pulse. I just wanted tons more stuff on Pulse.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular

Eh, I wouldn't agree with that. PS4 is the first system I've ever purchased at launch. To date, I have purchased more games, both retail and digital, for the PS4 than I have in the same timeframe for any console I've ever owned. The people saying there are "no games" on the new systems are either being deliberately obtuse, or are the people with high-end PCs that can run every multiplatform title well, and thus are literally only interested in the handful of exclusives that have launched on either system so far.

And hell, Square of all companies seems to be picking up on the love for new consoles. They've got more games coming to PS4 now than I ever remember being in the pipes for the PS3 at any given time. Whether we want them or not (I sure do), we've now got 1 released FF game, along with 4 upcoming ones announced (XV, X/X2, VII, and Dissidia), and a smattering of games from other franchises (KH3, DQHeroes, a sequel to that, and now SO5).

I do feel bad for the people who backed the XBO though, because it seems increasingly obvious that other than the biggest titles, XBO owners aren't going to see a lot of JRPGs coming to their system.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    High end PC is an exaggeration. I'm running with an R9 270 most multiplat games at 1080p 60fps on medium-high with no problems. That been said, you're right. There are lots of nice games for both the PS4 and the 1 right now.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Argh! I'm not going to be able to unlock Paladin Cecil during this event. I have 3 more stations to go on Mt. Ordeals, and the enemies are starting to be too tough. If only I had taken more time on Sunday to grind the daily dungeon.

I'm sorry Cecil. I have failed you.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    The real shocker about the SO5 news is that for once a Square Enix countdown actually counted down to something that wasn't disappointing.

This discussion has been closed.