As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Expanse] You know a lot about how people die.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    redx wrote: »
    nice

i'm going to end up buying all of these aren't I?

Don't forget the five novellas as well!

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    So was it just a random accident that got the stuff out on the Anubis and the other guys just GTFO? And that is some impressive Martian medical armband technology they have, you would be 100% dead once you got to that stage now.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    I don't think it was a random accident, it seems to need some major source of energy to feed off of, so Julie shutting the power off put it into hibernation. I suspect if someone was quick enough and shut off the power to Eros, it could have lessened the impact of the blue glowing goo but the evil scientists didn't seem to want that to happen.

Does make me wonder if the crew of the Rocci will put a few torpedoes into Eros as well.

And the medical armband, well, it seemed like it was connected to the thing they were laying down on, its probably part of the whole auto-doc medical suite, they got really lucky when they got the Rocci as salvage. Dealing with radiation in space is probably kinda commonplace is my guess, so Mars probably has that sort of thing standard on all their advanced warships.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    I don't think it was a random accident, it seems to need some major source of energy to feed off of, so Julie shutting the power off put it into hibernation. I suspect if someone was quick enough and shut off the power to Eros, it could have lessened the impact of the blue glowing goo but the evil scientists didn't seem to want that to happen.
    If they let it out intentionally and were planning to come back for it, wouldn't they have brought Julie with them or killed her so she couldn't interfere? From the dialogue it seemed that finding Julie on Eros was an accident that saved them the trouble of more lab work.

Coinage on
  • Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Coinage wrote: »
    So was it just a random accident that got the stuff out on the Anubis and the other guys just GTFO? And that is some impressive Martian medical armband technology they have, you would be 100% dead once you got to that stage now.

I don't recall why it got out, so a random accident is as good as any other reason. And the crew didn't GTFO; the first part of episode one shows basically that "soylent protomolecule IS PEOPLE!!!!11!!1" Why and how it's unrecognizable by the time the crew of the Roci come upon it is a question for another time.

Emissary42 on
  • Options
    I thought I saw some people abandon ship after they destroyed the Canterbury. Maybe I misinterpred it or am misremembering, if everyone on the secret mission died then that makes sense.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    And that is some impressive Martian medical armband technology they have, you would be 100% dead once you got to that stage now.

Minor book detail about that, that may or not make it into the show, not really plot-relevant.
    The autodoc can save lives but it can't magically undo science, and it was still a pretty goddamn crazy dose of radiation they took. Holden and Miller will have to take daily strong anti-cancer drugs for the rest of their lives.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    book radiation treatment
    yeah, the book portrays the treatment as completely automated by the Roci autodoc, but not as simple as an armband. They describe automated blood transfusions and their terminals reminding them to take their anti-cancer meds, but they definitely conveyed the gravity of the condition and not lol radiation lol! I'm kinda curious if the show will depict them continuing the treatment next season or if they'll just dismiss it away.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    VoodooV wrote: »
    book radiation treatment
    yeah, the book portrays the treatment as completely automated by the Roci autodoc, but not as simple as an armband. They describe automated blood transfusions and their terminals reminding them to take their anti-cancer meds, but they definitely conveyed the gravity of the condition and not lol radiation lol! I'm kinda curious if the show will depict them continuing the treatment next season or if they'll just dismiss it away.
    Even in the books, the tension is mostly coming from whether or not they will make it to the autodoc before they die from radiation poisoning.
    After that, the need for anti-cancer medication is just mentioned in passing once in a while, since those kind of medication is apparently almost as available as aspirin.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    mrondeau wrote: »
    book radiation treatment
    Even in the books, the tension is mostly coming from whether or not they will make it to the autodoc before they die from radiation poisoning.
    After that, the need for anti-cancer medication is just mentioned in passing once in a while, since those kind of medication is apparently almost as available as aspirin.
    You get a large population of people living outside of Earth's atmosphere, with it's solar radiation protection, and also rolling around the solar system in fusion powered space ships, suddenly there's a considerable demand for anti-cancer drugs and radiation treatment.
    Add in the fact that the Roci (and thus her med bay) are military grade and designed to treat soldiers with abnormally high radiation exposure.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    We're the fake doctors saying they are giving out iodine injections?

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    DanHibiki wrote: »

Yep. Except it was actually a dose of protomolecule.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    book radiation treatment

Book last episode minor point:
    Radiation is more ubiquitous for space faring humans. In the book but Holden and Miller's hand terminals instantly started screaming when they opened the "radiation shelter". While Holden flies all over Miller was station bound. I took that to mean that everybody's hand terminals had radiation detectors in them.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Nice finale, but
    I kept hoping the Rocinante would get to blow up the bad guys, after finally shedding and becoming that beautiful butterfly of a gunship

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    Nice finale, but
    I kept hoping the Rocinante would get to blow up the bad guys, after finally shedding and becoming that beautiful butterfly of a gunship
    As much as that would have been cool it wouldn't make a lot of sense for the Rocinante to take on one of the ships that sunk the Donnager. Assuming they could spot the thing if it wasn't using its engine. Their best course of action to me would be to get the word out about what happened.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Echo wrote: »

hold on hold on

am I remembering things wrong or did Miller get one of these injections

(I have not watched any of the books, only read the shows.)

Al_wat on
  • Options
    Al_wat wrote: »

hold on hold on

Nah, but he and Holden did shoot themselves up with various painkillers and stuff to stay on their feet as the radiation poisoning kicked in.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »

hold on hold on

You're remembering wrong.

(that's a fascinating way to take in books and shows)

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular

My head canon is that the stuff they were shooting up they found in that medical locker was Rad-X and they were receiving doses of Rad Away when they got back to the ship.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    jefe414 wrote: »

My head canon is that the stuff they were shooting up they found in that medical locker was Rad-X and they were receiving doses of Rad Away when they got back to the ship.

More like RadOnceADayForTheRestOfYourLife.

• Options
    Can anyone explain why at Eros Station
    Julie saw Miller in her final moments? I thought the whole point of Miller's arc was that he was consumed by finding her even though they had never met?

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Julie saw Miller in her final moments? I thought the whole point of Miller's arc was that he was consumed by finding her even though they had never met?

I'm pretty sure there was something going on with that. The bird showed up kind of notably too.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Not having read the books, thoughts after season 1:
    -The expanse: will it be a literal expanse of nano bot matter (or whatever the stuff is, it reminded me of a grey goo scenario.. ) in the solar system?

-the dead people: are they really dead? Or is their consciousness part of some kind of hive mind?

-why the hell will it be "their salvation" or however evil McScientist guy called it? Apparently, there is a bigger threat looming? Whoever sent that grey goo? Someone else, but so advanced humanity has no chance without ancient artifact goo?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular

My theory is that (book spoilers)
    Those aren't really her final moments since she becomes the seed crystal, she's sorta alive in the protomolecule, so that MAYBE on some level she was aware of Miller coming into Room 22 combined with the bird hallucination. (because in the books, they do meet, albeit very briefly) because wasn't the bird outside Julie's apt?

• Options
    I wonder (casting, RE: Book 3, Abaddon's Gate)
    if Clarissa Mao will be played by the same actress as Juliette. They're not identical twins in the books, but everyone says that their resemblance is uncanny, and folks seem to like the actress (one friend decided not to watch the series after watching the pilot because she found out that Julie wasn't a regular character).

• Options
    Not having read the books, thoughts after season 1:
    -The expanse: will it be a literal expanse of nano bot matter (or whatever the stuff is, it reminded me of a grey goo scenario.. ) in the solar system?

-the dead people: are they really dead? Or is their consciousness part of some kind of hive mind?

-why the hell will it be "their salvation" or however evil McScientist guy called it? Apparently, there is a bigger threat looming? Whoever sent that grey goo? Someone else, but so advanced humanity has no chance without ancient artifact goo?
    Also not having read the books
    I interpreted the salvation line as believing the sci-fi trope of a nonhuman intelligence solving humanity's problems through its greater intelligence and different perspective. Or maybe they hope it will give them the power to rule all of humanity and they will solve everyone's problems by force. Either way, this doesn't seem like the kind of series to introduce a massive alien invasion, but maybe I'm wrong.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    oh I just can't help it I'm not trying to gloat or anything but

I can't wait for you guys to see where you're right/wrong/somewhat right because you're going to love it.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Trace wrote: »

I can't wait for you guys to see where you're right/wrong/somewhat right because you're going to love it.

Heh, and as a show only participant, I also eagerly await the book readers then viewers reactions to changes :D

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Trace wrote: »

Hey! I'm pretty genre savvy :p

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    A neat article on the Belter cant in the show, which turns out to be actually a thorough job by a linguist and not just a random pile of words as I'd assumed. As a former linguistics student and general language nerd I am super happy more and more SF shows and movies take constructed languages seriously as part of their world building.
    Farmer told us that he spent quite a while thinking about how a creole—usually a blend of a couple "substrate" languages and one dominant "superstrate"—would evolve in space. He used Haitian creole as his guide, because its speakers all came from elsewhere to work on the island. Slaves taken from Africa combined their own native languages with the dominant French, and the result was a shared tongue that only the slaves understood. Like Haiti, the Belt is dominated by a wealthy class of colonizers (in this case, Earthers who speak English). But all the labor is done by what Farmer calls "economic slaves" who risk their lives in mines. The resulting Belter creole is a crazy mix of English, Chinese, romance languages like French, German, Persian, Hebrew, Zulu, and a few other surprises. Farmer says he has over 1,000 Belter words in his personal dictionary, and he keeps adding more as the show's producers and fans request them.

There is a simple, regular grammar that is typical of creoles. If you're building a lingua franca, there's no point in filling it with Latin-style declensions and crazy irregular structures. But Farmer says there are complex levels when it comes to speaking Belter. Some characters speak pure Belter, but most speak about half-English, half-Belter, adjusting their vocabulary for each situation. If they're holding a separatist rally to protest Earther rule, Belter is the order of the day. If they're trying to talk to a boss, English makes more sense. In everyday chit-chat, they'll probably switch back and forth without thinking about it.

Farmer gave us the backstory on several of the words he's invented, including "well walla," a mix of English and Hindi. Well walla is a disparaging term for a Belter who acts like an Earther (well is for the "gravity well" of Earth, and walla means person in Hindi). He also decided that Belters wouldn't use the term "bullshit," because there would be no bulls in the Belt. Instead, they would come up with a uniquely Belter curse, "kaka felota," a term for what happens when your toilet backs up in low gravity and shit floats all over the place. ("Kata felota" literally means "floating shit.")

Also, his Twitter profile lead me to this song:

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Book 5 spoilers:
    Man I was pretty disappointed with book 4. The scope/side story aspect was fine, but the characters felt willfully one note. Especially the villain/company security goon seemed to have depth of a sheet of paper.

But now Im halfway through 5 and holy shit. What the fuck dudes

Dropping rocks? Gaaaahhhhh

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Was 109 the season finale or is there more tomorrow?

• Options
    they showed 109/110 back to back.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Cabezone wrote: »

Boo, there were too many loose ends left to wait a year for season 2.

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »

Boo, there were too many loose ends left to wait a year for season 2.

READ.

THE.

BOOKS.

• Options
    I kinda liked where it ended.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I kinda liked where it ended.

But it ended halfway through Book 1.
    Don't get me wrong, having read the books that's about as perfect a place to end season one as you could ask for.
    But there's so much to look forward too.

• Options
    Yep, we still have plenty of turd trajectories to intersect with rotary devices.

• Options
    Apparently some folks want Gwendoline Christie for Bobbie, and, while I love Brienne, there is no way she's right for that role.

This discussion has been closed.