As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Expanse] You know a lot about how people die.

• Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    binge watched the first four episodes, needed more

4 hours/70% through the first book

no regrets

first fiction I've read since I dunno

reminds me of REAMDE but in space in terms of narrative flavor and the sublime mix of insane action and technical detail

a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Clearly, you need some of those little pills.

all i know is that after episode 4 i'm completely sold

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    yeah episode 4 is

yeah

I've got high hopes for this series now

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    What was the little pill thing the interrogator guy kept taking?

fish oil pills. Gotta get that vitamin D in space .

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    How long does it actually take them to get from Saturn to Ceres? If the show specified I missed it.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    yeah episode 4 is

yeah

I've got high hopes for this series now

I never thought i'd see something with technical science and stunning visual effects on SyFy

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Some sort of recall/attention improving drug to help him detect nervous twitches and detect lying

space adderall, got it

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    How long does it actually take them to get from Saturn to Ceres? If the show specified I missed it.

Show doesn't mention it.

Book says:
    Yea, this isn't really a fucking spoiler but:

The Cant made like two trips in an Earth year. It felt implied there was quite a bit of fucking around on either end of that though, collecting rocks and the like. Also keep in mind what point of the year and the positions in their orbits of things makes a ridiculous difference.

In the third book Bull muses that people think in terms of distance and Luna to Mars was like two weeks when the orbits were right. A few months to Saturn.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Show doesn't mention it.

Book says:

The Cant made like two trips in an Earth year. It felt implied there was quite a bit of fucking around on either end of that though, collecting rocks and the like. Also keep in mind what point of the year and the positions in their orbits of things makes a ridiculous difference.

In the third book Bull muses that people think in terms of distance and Luna to Mars was like two weeks when the orbits were right. A few months to Saturn.

Yeah, it's pretty clear even having just read the first book and watched the first two episodes that travel time is a lot shorter in the TV show.
    For good reason though, I mean it's easy enough to write a paragraph or two about your crew sitting around in a tin can staring at each other for 3 weeks, wondering if the ship that's coming to pick them up is going to get there before the air runs out, but that tends to make for boring TV.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    aw goddamnit.

For some reason I thought Nemesis Games was book 4 instead of book 5, and got that on my phone all set to listen to today instead of Cibola Burn.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015

Show doesn't mention it.

Book says:

Thanks. With a little fudging that seems to work out to 200 km/s. That is very fast. Although of course the authors' response is "Guys our ships mostly travel, as JM Straczynski said, at the speed of plot." Which is fine, I was just curious about some frame of reference.

Also looking at the reddit account's history, Tom Jane picked the hat himself, heh.

Coinage on
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Love this show. Episode 4 is some of the best space SciFi I've seen on TV in a long time.

They absolutely nailed the feelings of danger and complexity involved in life in space. This is what I want from my Scifi.

I'm seriously thinking about reading the books now.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options

Show doesn't mention it.

Book says:

Thanks. With a little fudging that seems to work out to 200 km/s. That is very fast. Although of course the authors' response is "Guys our ships mostly travel, as JM Straczynski said, at the speed of plot." Which is fine, I was just curious about some frame of reference.

Well....technically the ships travel at an infinite top speed because none of the ships mentioned reach it. (Yes, yes, relativity and c and all that jazz, nobody is close to it.) It's all about survivable acceleration in the books. The Roci can easily pull upwards of 12 gs which will quickly kill the crew. It's heavily implied that the 12 isn't what the Roci can do, it's what the crew will probably survive. Mostly ships only go upwards of 1 g in time critical situations and lots of belt based ships try and keep it below that.

The only ship that the design was intended to coast on route to its destination was the Nauvoo which, uh, well yeah. They had time.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    If experience has taught me anything it's that Patton Oswalt will be guest starring by season three.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    If experience has taught me anything it's that Patton Oswalt will be guest starring by season three.

Space Constable Bob is a go. He's probably got a space go bag and everything.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Preacher wrote: »

Space Constable Bob is a go. He's probably got a space go bag and everything.

More likely he'd be a good choice as one of the [Book 3]:
    UN victims of the second slow zone incident. Good spot to put guest stars that still have a fair bit of screentime before shit hits the fan (or in this case decelerate at about 11g into the fan, the door, the walls...)

Emissary42 on
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Wraith260 was warned for this.
    so just caught up on this tonight. seeing that the 4 episodes are available on SyFys site helps with my concerns over its scheduling, but i still think mid-December was a bad time to start it. even with changing nature of viewing habits, an uncertain schedule can hurt if not kill a show.

as it is, it hasn't aired a single episode here in the UK which suggest it'll be getting its full run next year. that means that for now i've had to source episodes in a less legitimate fashion. normally that wouldn't be an issue for me* but i really want this show to succeed. genre TV is on an ascendancy right now and i really want there to be some really good Sci-Fi as a part of that.

going into it i was taking this show as a different beast as the books, and each episode has made that a more valid way of viewing it. but that context makes me want the show to do well all the more. if the show goes on then i get to enjoy two different versions of the story. and right now its looks like the show version will be as good in its own right, for all the differences that there might be.

i really want this show to do well, and its not often i'll care enough to say that. since watching the first episode when it was made available i've been firm that i'll watch as it airs in the UK(on DVR at least), which isn't something i do for many shows these days. i want this one to have an audience, i want it to continue, i want SyFy to be able to commit to other big budget shows, and i want other networks to consider Sci-Fi a legitimate genre worth investing in.

the show has me hopeful, i just hope SyFy don't fuck it up.

*sorry if that admission is taboo mods, its wasn't a brag, just stating a fact of some peoples modern viewing habits.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Unless you're part of the sample, your viewing habits have zero effect on the show.

If you are part of the sample, please watch all the shows I love.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Julius wrote: »
    Unless you're part of the sample, your viewing habits have zero effect on the show.

If you are part of the sample, please watch all the shows I love.

i think it works the same way here in the UK but honestly i'm not 100% sure. and at the very least, the tech is there to monitor live and DVR/catch up/on demand viewings so that networks can get an accurate picture of their audience and their viewing habits. its certainly something that should be taken into effect and we shouldn't have to rely on sample audiences any more.

still, even on that issue any audience outside the US matters next to nothing regardless of how its measured, but i'll still do what i can to keep this shows numbers up.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Network execs should just ask me what is a good show and I will tell them.

• Options
    I don't know if this was linked before or not but SyFy has a prequel story for the entire series up on their site here. Having just read it I really enjoyed it. I think it's probably a couple hundred years before the series proper but actually talks about that whole acceleration and speed thing we were discussing last week.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited December 2015

yesss

what do I have to do to have oswalt's character be agent koenig of the UN

and to have his brother, officer koenig of the MCRN, also be played by Oswalt

override367 on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

yesss

what do I have to do to have oswalt's character be agent koenig of the UN

and to have his brother, officer koenig of the MCRN, also be played by Oswalt

Sympathetic OPA operative Koenig?

• Options
    About a third of the way through Cibola burn. Is it just me, or is this by far the weakest of the series so far? My friend tells me it gets WAY better in the back half, so I'm sticking with it, but I just find this colony ownership dispute stuff really slow.

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    About a third of the way through Cibola burn. Is it just me, or is this by far the weakest of the series so far? My friend tells me it gets WAY better in the back half, so I'm sticking with it, but I just find this colony ownership dispute stuff really slow.

Shit gets real.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Handgimp wrote: »

Shit gets real.

it is definitely a bit slow going to start though

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular

I gave up on it. They wrote a weirdly mustache-twirling villain when they've done better before. The next book might be the best of the five so far, though.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

I gave up on it. They wrote a weirdly mustache-twirling villain when they've done better before. The next book might be the best of the five so far, though.

he is terrible but it is worth finishing for the other stuff that goes on

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    It's an important book showing the scale of things and more of the economics of the time, but it's kind of oddly placed. I kind of felt like it should have been stuff that was handled piecemeal in other books.

• Options
    ok shit is getting real.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    man if you skipped that particular book you're doing yourself some serious disservice when it comes to huge explosions

• Options
    Chanus wrote: »

he is terrible but it is worth finishing for the other stuff that goes on

He is a little bit better later on when he explains himself but he is never exactly nuanced. He is another in the list of characters with mental health disorders portrayed a bit better than average, he's just completely lacking in empathy which results in a giant asshole who is barely human.

• Options
    Handgimp wrote: »

Shit gets real.

One of the more interesting action sequences of the entire series happens near the end of that book.
    Robo-Miller vs. Ancient Parasite Tech was actually a lot of fun.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Kana wrote: »
    Some sort of recall/attention improving drug to help him detect nervous twitches and detect lying
    Space-NZT is what it reminded me of. (Limitless, still have a few more episodes of that to go).

Binge-watched all four episodes and now I'm hooked, going to get the books but I don't know if I'll have time to read them. :)

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    I sincerely hope the Roci becomes as much of a character as everyone else. Hopefully through the use of creative effects when it comes to the AI of the ship.

• Options
    Trace wrote: »
    I sincerely hope the Roci becomes as much of a character as everyone else. Hopefully through the use of creative effects when it comes to the AI of the ship.

Well.
    Firefly and Supernatural have distinctive vehicles without needing to anthropomorphize them. All you really need is to show how damn effective it is compared to other ships, and have Alex spout off about her handling, etc. The confrontation with the pirates in the second act is an excellent demonstration of how hopelessly outmatched most ships are by her.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Edit: Oh, seems it's renewed already despite it's craptastic ratings! Hooray! On the other hand, they renewed Farscape and killed that. Edit the 2nd: Seems the writers are writing season 2, anyway. Hopefully the ratings come up in any case.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Edit: Oh, seems it's renewed already despite it's craptastic ratings! Hooray! On the other hand, they renewed Farscape and killed that. Edit the 2nd: Seems the writers are writing season 2, anyway. Hopefully the ratings come up in any case.

The traditional ratings are bad on a show whose first four episodes were leaked online? I am shocked and appalled, I say. Is episode 5 out yet? That's the one to watch the ratings for.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I'd imagine traditional ratings would be bad because of the leaks/putting episodes online prior to airing. Also December which is not a traditional ratings power house.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.