As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wrestling] Live RAW cancelled, instead USA airs footage of Vince masturbating for 3 hours

NiryaNirya Registered User regular
edited January 2015 in Social Entropy++
There's been a breakout of mothers and grandmothers watching wrestling and falling in love with a certain someone. Who could it be?

Is it this guy?

Reigns.jpg

Nope! How bout this guy?

SamiZayn2_crop_650.jpg

Surprisingly no! Well what about ok you know what I'm just going to cut right to the chase it's Dean Ambrose.

1bb5cef7fad82434c00aff97b69db1b1.jpg

Dean Ambrose has all of the qualities that women of a certain age look for. Qualities such as:

A charming smile.

tumblr_mhu925Xh8f1rtbl14o1_250.png

Is probably very sensitive.

8327%20-%20Dean_Ambrose%20tlc%20wwe.png

Will probably pay too much attention to her.

dean-ambrose-wwe.jpg

In fact, I asked Dean Ambrose if he'd be willing to spend some quality time with your mother next week. Here's his response:

dailydean1026.jpg

I think that's a solid maybe!

So go ahead and join us in watching Wrestling, and make sure to tell Mom and Grandma when Dean Ambrose is on the screen. They'll really appreciate it.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
3DS: 2981-5304-3227
Whippy on

• Options
    I regret nothing.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    this should be dean's entrance music imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNoKguSdy4Y

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Thread lacks Titty Master mentions

• Options
    Goose! wrote: »
    Thread lacks Titty Master mentions

I mean Dean can go there but he wants to class it up for your mom.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    It's probably been mentioned but I haven't been paying attention so how bitter is the WWE about Punk?

How about Superboy punching reality angry.
    Since his well-publicized walk-out from WWE the night after last year’s Royal Rumble event, there’s really only been one place where fans were sure they could see former WWE Champion CM Punk: Comics. Not only was it recently announced that he’d be writing for both Marvel and Vertigo, but until the story caught up with his real-life departure from the company, he was a regular character in WWE Superstars, the truly bizarre, nominally wrestling-themed comic being published by Papercutz. Now, it seems that is no longer the case.

As reported by WrestlingInc.com, WWE is removing Punk from the comic for all future printings, presumably replacing him with a different character in what has to be one of the weirdest retcons of all time.

As you might expect, there’s been a lot of fan speculation for why they’re taking such a complicated move, and most of it has characterized it as being a product of WWE’s notoriously vindictive policies towards former employees. The report comes hot on the heels of Punk doing a hugely popular two-part interview on independent wrestler Colt Cabana’s Art of Wrestling podcast where he talked at length about his dissatisfaction with and antipathy for his former employer, as well as the announcement that Punk would be fighting in the UFC, which is ostensibly a competitor to the King of Sports.

WWE has a pretty notorious history of attempting to erase parts of its history that it can’t control, especially when it comes to wrestlers who leave the company for competitors, so while it’s surprising that they’d go to the lengths with a small part of the company’s output, it’s not entirely unprecedented. On the other hand, it might just be a simple matter of likeness rights — Punk leaving WWE might mean that it’s necessary to remove him if they want to keep the comic in print.

If that’s the case, it might actually be one of the few times where the pretty dodgy art of the book works in its favor. The biggest problem with it for me as a reader is that it’s just not that great in terms of visuals, and the wrestlers who show up as characters don’t often look like their real-life inspirations. Of course, it’d be pretty hard to argue that the guy being referred to as “CM Punk” by all the other characters was not, in fact, CM Punk.

As for who’s going to replace him, that’s pretty up in the air. WWE has no shortage of wrestlers they could slide into the comics, but figuring out who would make a good fit for Punk’s anti-establishment troublemaker character seems like it’d be the tricky part. My guess would be Dean Ambrose, WWE’s current top anti-establishment troublemaker star, but I guess we won’t really know until WWE Superstars v.1: Money in the Bank gets reprinted.

Incidentally, if you want to preserve your collection, the original versions of the paperbacks are still available at Amazon and your local comic book store… for now.

Either way, it’s pretty weird, and it’s one of those strange instances of real people and fictional characters colliding that you can only really get from wrestling, although it does make me think about how weird it would be if, say, Wally West suddenly left DC Comics and started talking about how mad he was that he lost his spot in all the big crossovers to Barry Allen and how he never got proper medical treatment from being sent into a mirror dimension for four issues back in the early 2000s.

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    thank you geebs for continuing the time-honored tradition of taylor swift being on the first page of the wrestling thread

• Options
    edited January 2015
    It says right there that it could be as simple as a rights dispute, which Punk has had with them even while he was working with the company. I won't say the WWE is blameless here, but you're ascribing motives that have a fairly high chance of being inaccurate

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    It says right there that it could be as simple as a rights dispute, which Punk has had with them even while he was working with the company. I won't say the WWE is blameless here, but you're ascribing motives that have a fairly high chance of being inaccurate

We were talking about this like a week ago and figured it was just a rights issue where, in order to keep reprinting the comic, they'd need to change out a character.

But hey WWE is an evil corporation and all that and more power to the people.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    this should be dean's entrance music imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNoKguSdy4Y

As long as it has the engine revving sound before the song starts I'm fine with it. I feel like I need that engine revving sound before Ambrose's music actually hits.

• Options
    the engine revving giving away to that song would be terrific, yeah

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Cade wrote: »
    It's probably been mentioned but I haven't been paying attention so how bitter is the WWE about Punk?

How about Superboy punching reality angry.
    Since his well-publicized walk-out from WWE the night after last year’s Royal Rumble event, there’s really only been one place where fans were sure they could see former WWE Champion CM Punk: Comics. Not only was it recently announced that he’d be writing for both Marvel and Vertigo, but until the story caught up with his real-life departure from the company, he was a regular character in WWE Superstars, the truly bizarre, nominally wrestling-themed comic being published by Papercutz. Now, it seems that is no longer the case.

As reported by WrestlingInc.com, WWE is removing Punk from the comic for all future printings, presumably replacing him with a different character in what has to be one of the weirdest retcons of all time.

As you might expect, there’s been a lot of fan speculation for why they’re taking such a complicated move, and most of it has characterized it as being a product of WWE’s notoriously vindictive policies towards former employees. The report comes hot on the heels of Punk doing a hugely popular two-part interview on independent wrestler Colt Cabana’s Art of Wrestling podcast where he talked at length about his dissatisfaction with and antipathy for his former employer, as well as the announcement that Punk would be fighting in the UFC, which is ostensibly a competitor to the King of Sports.

WWE has a pretty notorious history of attempting to erase parts of its history that it can’t control, especially when it comes to wrestlers who leave the company for competitors, so while it’s surprising that they’d go to the lengths with a small part of the company’s output, it’s not entirely unprecedented. On the other hand, it might just be a simple matter of likeness rights — Punk leaving WWE might mean that it’s necessary to remove him if they want to keep the comic in print.

If that’s the case, it might actually be one of the few times where the pretty dodgy art of the book works in its favor. The biggest problem with it for me as a reader is that it’s just not that great in terms of visuals, and the wrestlers who show up as characters don’t often look like their real-life inspirations. Of course, it’d be pretty hard to argue that the guy being referred to as “CM Punk” by all the other characters was not, in fact, CM Punk.

As for who’s going to replace him, that’s pretty up in the air. WWE has no shortage of wrestlers they could slide into the comics, but figuring out who would make a good fit for Punk’s anti-establishment troublemaker character seems like it’d be the tricky part. My guess would be Dean Ambrose, WWE’s current top anti-establishment troublemaker star, but I guess we won’t really know until WWE Superstars v.1: Money in the Bank gets reprinted.

Incidentally, if you want to preserve your collection, the original versions of the paperbacks are still available at Amazon and your local comic book store… for now.

Either way, it’s pretty weird, and it’s one of those strange instances of real people and fictional characters colliding that you can only really get from wrestling, although it does make me think about how weird it would be if, say, Wally West suddenly left DC Comics and started talking about how mad he was that he lost his spot in all the big crossovers to Barry Allen and how he never got proper medical treatment from being sent into a mirror dimension for four issues back in the early 2000s.

I read somewhere that they might be taking him out due to licensing rights.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    if by rights issue you mean 'don't want to give punk any money' then yes, it is a rights issue

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    Oh here's the all the stuff from the Move Pack DLC. Note the "Strong Style Knee Strike"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdM6kCXziw0

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    I'm more interested in noting the End of Days and also Charlotte's finisher

• Options
    Kilroy wrote: »
    I'm more interested in noting the End of Days and also Charlotte's finisher

Too bad you can't make Charlotte :/

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    I can name the indy wrestler most of those are based off of and that's awesome. I almost want to get the game and DLC pack to create my favorite wrestlers. I saw both of TJ Perkins big moves, but I had to pause it at Northern Lights/Brainbuster because that is exactly how Ricochet does it. Not just he move, but just the way he does the move.

• Options
    MrDapper wrote: »
    Oh here's the all the stuff from the Move Pack DLC. Note the "Strong Style Knee Strike"

Okay when "Strong Style Knee Strike" happened I yelled "YEAOH" when the dude did Nakamura's taunt.

I also love that the More Bang For Your Buck is there, as well as the spike tombstone, although it's sad they don't have the Meltzer driver. Also cool that the Steen/Generico combo of a package piledriver where he throws the dude over to Generico for the brainbuster is in the game.

• Options
    Magell wrote: »

Okay when "Strong Style Knee Strike" happened I yelled "YEAOH" when the dude did Nakamura's taunt.

I also love that the More Bang For Your Buck is there, as well as the spike tombstone, although it's sad they don't have the Meltzer driver. Also cool that the Steen/Generico combo of a package piledriver where he throws the dude over to Generico for the brainbuster is in the game.

Kinda wish they had used some of the names that guys on the Indies use for those moves. Croyt's Wrath, Drake's Landing, that sort of thing, just cause I think those names are cool.

Also I'm going to assume that them calling that move More Bang means the Bucks are definitely signing with WWE tomorrow.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    But for real Strong Style Knee Strike is probs my favorite.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    Nirya wrote: »

Kinda wish they had used some of the names that guys on the Indies use for those moves. Croyt's Wrath, Drake's Landing, that sort of thing, just cause I think those names are cool.

Also I'm going to assume that them calling that move More Bang means the Bucks are definitely signing with WWE tomorrow.

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    Nirya wrote: »

HE'S NOT DENYING MY ASSUMPTIONS.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    All those moves are great but that set also includes Ultramantis Black's Praying Mantis Bomb, so I'm a happy man.

EDIT: And the Go 2 Sleepy Hollow!

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    dex, how excited are you to watch ultramantis wrestle juan francisco?

I am pretty excited

• Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    All right... So listening to the powerbombcast convinced me to finally give wrestling a try. I signed up for a month of wwe network. Where do I start? In the podcast thread I had some people suggest starting at Wrestlemania XXX and working from there. That sounds good, but where specifically do I go after that? Keep in mind I've never watched hardly any wrestling at all... Thanks!

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Check out the four NXT specials from last year. Arrival and the three Takeovers.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Wrestlemania 17

It's widely considered one of the best PPV's ever, and the video packages before each match will do a good job on filling you in with the story/characters.

• Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    Watch Vengeance 2005.

A solid PPV that gets overlooked.

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular

I am pretty excited

the most excited

A New Start is really shaping up, and the whole card isn't even announced, and a bunch of key players are still missing, which is exciting

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Yeah Chikara's season 14 start looks really good.

But I think one reviewer summed up why I fell out of favor with the company when they had there top technico straight up MURDER a rudo and the crowd cheered for it.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    But back to WWE, Seth Rollins is proving to be their best heel in YEARS.

• Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »

I am pretty excited

the most excited

A New Start is really shaping up, and the whole card isn't even announced, and a bunch of key players are still missing, which is exciting

I'm excited for the Wrecking Crew's open challenge!

• Options
    edited January 2015
    wirehead26 wrote: »

But I think one reviewer summed up why I fell out of favor with the company when they had there top technico straight up MURDER a rudo and the crowd cheered for it.

And that is the entire purpose of KC's new character.

And if/when Thunderfrog returns, I think that's going to be a HUGE issue with him. Because you have a top good guy warrior character who is perfectly fine sending bad guys to their death during a fight. Because in his mind it's honorable. Same thing with Oleg actually, even though he's a rudo. He has said that he doesn't understand why people are mad at him for Dragon Dragon, he gave him the most honorable death possible.

hailtothekale on
  • Options

It still just rubbed me the wrong way. I'm just glad the top rudo's are back to the BDK and DC and hopefully the Flood concept died with Deaculon.

• Options

It still just rubbed me the wrong way. I'm just glad the top rudo's are back to the BDK and DC and hopefully the Flood concept died with Deaculon.

That's understandable.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    I sold all my season 13 Chikara stuff but if they come out with a Best of for that season I might get it depending on the content.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    Also ROH is seemingly building up to Alberto El Patron vs Jay Lethal which should be really good.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    But back to WWE, Seth Rollins is proving to be their best heel in YEARS.

I wasn't too hot on him at the start but yeah, he's really cemented himself as a top tier heel.

His "You should know me, I'm going to kill him anyways" line is one of the best lines ever.

• Options
    Assuming Kane is in the Rumble this year it will be his 18th appearance in the match which is insane.

But keep in mind he was different characters in 96 and 97.

• Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    Assuming Kane is in the Rumble this year it will be his 18th appearance in the match which is insane.

But keep in mind he was different characters in 96 and 97.

And now I just got Ambrose's "toothpaste" joke, and I'm so mad at myself.

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    Listening to Howard Stern on Sirius today and they played the clip where the Raw announcers mentioned his birthday.

This discussion has been closed.