As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Starships] Sid Meier Loves Star Trek - March 12th Release

DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space PotatoesRegistered User regular
edited March 2015 in Games and Technology
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FsHpNiz-4M

Available for pre-order on Steam
Build and command a fleet of starships and travel between planets as you explore, build, negotiate, and fight to preserve your vision for humanity.
  • PC, Mac, and iPad
  • Turn-based strategy
  • Set as a postscript to Civ: BE (and there is some interoperation teased)
  • Focus on starship design
  • Crew, ship customization, etc.

Some articles, which include screenshots and concept art:
http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/19/7852541/sid-meiers-starships-trailer-firaxis-pc-mac-ipad-civilization-beyond-earth

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/firaxis-reveals-new-interstellar-strategy-game-sid/1100-6424728/

If you want to see the game in action, Sid has done a number of livestreams and a PAX South panel where he has played a few turns live. You can find videos on the Firaxis YouTube site.

Benny's opinion?
HbHikzb.gif

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
--Mark Twain
Durinia on

• DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    As an addendum, this screenshot has already got me clicking "next turn":
    Sid-Meiers-Starships-Screenshot_StrategyLayer_1.0.jpg

--Mark Twain
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Sounds like a fancy version of Spaceward HO!

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    As long as it isnt just another Civ:V reskin.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

Is that what Beyond Earth is? Serious question haven't played it but loved Alpha Centauri.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

38thDoe wrote: »

Is that what Beyond Earth is? Serious question haven't played it but loved Alpha Centauri.

There is a lot of UI and mechanics re-use, at least where they didn't make bigger changes (i.e. techweb vs. tech tree - which is pretty minor TBH).

--Mark Twain
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Its not quite, but it feels like they ignored a lot of the filling out G&K/BNW added.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    It's not SMAC. There's some good ground work in CIVBE, but it needs some love to be the whole game experience that 5+G&K+BNW is.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    So what makes this game different from Galactic Civilizations?

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the replies. I wish someone would make something like SMAC again.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

From what I can tell of like two sentences I've read and a screenshot, you aren't playing a civilization. You're just playing a starship captain in the service of some civilization.

• Oh My GodOh My God Registered User regular
    Garthor wrote: »

From what I can tell of like two sentences I've read and a screenshot, you aren't playing a civilization. You're just playing a starship captain in the service of some civilization.

Right. My impression of it would be Sid Meier's Pirates! in Space.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular

Anyone remember the old BBS MUD called "Planets: The Exploration of Space"? It was a Seth Able text based space adventure game...

Is this going to be anything like that, but with graphics? I loved the Seth Able game. Flying from planet to planet, buying goods, and then taking those goods to other planets and trying to exploit their needs. Upgrading my ship. Running from space pirates. It was pretty excellent.

Oh My God wrote: »

Yes, I would definitely say it looks more like Pirates! than Civ.

--Mark Twain
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Sid Meier's FTL? I'd give that a try.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Sounds like Sid Meyer does Star Trek.

I wanna be hype, but Pirates was kinda ho hum. I will be slightly hype because SPACESHIPS! but reserve the rest of my hype for when we get more info.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular

I'm blaming you for putting this image in my head, so it's now your fault if it isn't true.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Sounds like Sid Meyer does Star Trek.

I wanna be hype, but Pirates was kinda ho hum. I will be slightly hype because SPACESHIPS! but reserve the rest of my hype for when we get more info.

Pirates! was ho hum? YOUR FACE is ho hum.

• McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    I like spaceships.

Who's Sid Meier?

Sid Meier would be a rock star game designer who is actually pretty consistent in deserving the accolades he receives. Responsible for such classics as Railroad Tycoon, Civilization, Pirates!, Alpha Centauri and a slew of (now ancient) flight sims.

As mentioned, Sid has a Firaxis Games Megapanel on Saturday at PAX South. I'll be there, actually - we'll see what comes out. Given a chance, I plan on asking about XCOM as well. :biggrin:

--Mark Twain
    Durinia wrote: »
    As mentioned, Sid has a Firaxis Games Megapanel on Saturday at PAX South. I'll be there, actually - we'll see what comes out. Given a chance, I plan on asking about XCOM as well. :biggrin:

Aww, man. Dave'll be there. Grill him a bit about Beyond Earth for me, will you?

Aww, man. Dave'll be there. Grill him a bit about Beyond Earth for me, will you?

I'm not sure I could do it without saying "Congrats on making the shortest Civ game, while having it also be the only one that I've not played through more than twice."

--Mark Twain
    Just got out of the panel. I'll post more completely when I get in a non-PAX network connection, but the short version is this:

It's not really pirates, but more like an unholy alliance of Civ and XCOM, with a leaning towards the latter.

If that doesn't get you excited, not sure what will.

--Mark Twain
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Just got out of the panel. I'll post more completely when I get in a non-PAX network connection, but the short version is this:

It's not really pirates, but more like an unholy alliance of Civ and XCOM, with a leaning towards the latter.

I literally just squealed.

• SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Here's Polygon's writeup from the PAX panel. It sounds like the best Star Trek game ever made.

• RuldarRuldar Registered User regular

Mother of god...

Sprout wrote: »
    Here's Polygon's writeup from the PAX panel. It sounds like the best Star Trek game ever made.

It's a good thing I'm wearing coveralls right now because regular pants could not contain my erection.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Civ + xcom + not much wait for release = instant, unexpected megahype

Hope it lives up to it

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    I'm a little bit confused about how Civ-like this is. Are you primarily just roaming with this fleet or are you also controlling stuff at home?

I'd almost prefer less Civ-like. Space 4xes have been awfully disappointing to me over the last few years, particularly strategic, empire-level combat. I'd be totally happy if this was like Starfleet Command, but more polished. (As much as I wanted to enjoy Starfleet Command, it was just... too much stuff to deal with, what with the real-time, unpausable port of a complex tactical board game, and then all the other issues....)

hippofant wrote: »
    I'm a little bit confused about how Civ-like this is. Are you primarily just roaming with this fleet or are you also controlling stuff at home?

I'd almost prefer less Civ-like. Space 4xes have been awfully disappointing to me over the last few years, particularly strategic, empire-level combat.

Yeah, I haven't been able to get into a space 4x in a loooong time. Tbh the only one to really get me addicted was the original Master of Orion. Other ones just feel kinda bloated.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I went from "Oh, its fucking beyond earth reskin in space... ok, Sid, you're starting to cash ou-"

Its Civ+Xcom meets Star Trek, and leaning heavy on the Xcom unit progression.

Now I'm like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFLkrmNDqHk

well played, Sid, well played.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
    I dunno Ben, I'd be worried if something is making you feel like the Riddler from that god awful movie.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    its more the whole joygasm bent, but yea, I'll find a better vid

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
    edited January 2015
    Will Miller actually made the "more like XCOM than Civ" observation directly. The similarity is that both games (XCOM and Starships) are set up with both a high-level strategic layer and close-in tactical battles.

So here's a little more detail:

Strategic Layer:
    You can choose your leader and starting affinity (remember, this is post-BE) that give you various different bonuses. However, for the rest of the game, you're not really playing a Civ leader, but the commander of the fleet of starships fielded by your federation of planets (Sid slipped and called it an "Empire" once...). This fleet will fly from system to system completing quests/missions at each new planet with resulting rewards like new techs, bonuses to building certain types of ship components, and increased influence. By working with a planet long enough (doing quests, taking shore leave there, etc.), you will get enough influence to have it join your federation, which provides you with more resources, special buildings/bonuses, etc. These resources can be used to build/upgrade your ships, research techs (which improve your ships), or do a little planetary development (I think - he didn't demo the last one, but it's been mentioned before). However the focus on all of these is on making your SHIPS better, not random civ advances, etc.

As you move your ships around, your crew becomes more fatigued. Eventually you will want to send them on "shore leave" to rest up, but that ends your turn in the strategic layer, so it's an interesting tradeoff on how hard you're willing to risk being ineffective versus safely. One thing they didn't talk about at all was Victory conditions. Not sure how you win, but there was a UI box at game start that implied there were several possible victory conditions.

Tactical Layer:
    Imagine this - take XCOM's tactical fights and replace the people with spaceships. Now, replace the map with a hex-based "space map" that has things like "cover" (asteroids, planets, etc. - some of which MOVE from turn to turn!) and other obstacles. All the ships in your fleet start the same, but you can modify/outfit your ships across a bunch of different subsystems (sensors, lasers, plasma cannons, torpedoes, armor, shields, drones, cloaking, engines...) to create ships with a specific role (scout has high speed and upgraded sensors. "Tank" ship has high armor/shields. Lasers are long range and plasma short range, so you can elect for a sniper-type laser setup or a cannon-based brawler setup, for instance.)

(I was not able to confirm if you can name your ships, but it would be a crime if the answer was no. )

The end result is a "Civ Light" with a focus on quests on top of a turn-based tactical XCOM-like battle...

...With Spaceships

Durinia on
    --Mark Twain
    edited January 2015
    Will Miller actually made the "more like XCOM than Civ" observation directly. The similarity is that both games (XCOM and Starships) are set up with both a high-level strategic layer and close-in tactical battles.

So here's a little more detail:

Strategic Layer:
    You can choose your leader and starting affinity (remember, this is post-BE) that give you various different bonuses. However, for the rest of the game, you're not really playing a Civ leader, but the commander of the fleet of starships fielded by your federation of planets (Sid slipped and called it an "Empire" once...). This fleet will fly from system to system completing quests/missions at each new planet with resulting rewards like new techs, bonuses to building certain types of ship components, and increased influence. By working with a planet long enough (doing quests, taking shore leave there, etc.), you will get enough influence to have it join your federation, which provides you with more resources, special buildings/bonuses, etc. These resources can be used to build/upgrade your ships, research techs (which improve your ships), or do a little planetary development (I think - he didn't demo the last one, but it's been mentioned before). However the focus on all of these is on making your SHIPS better, not random civ advances, etc.

As you move your ships around, your crew becomes more fatigued. Eventually you will want to send them on "shore leave" to rest up, but that ends your turn in the strategic layer, so it's an interesting tradeoff on how hard you're willing to risk being ineffective versus safely. One thing they didn't talk about at all was Victory conditions. Not sure how you win, but there was a UI box at game start that implied there were several possible victory conditions.

Tactical Layer:
    Imagine this - take XCOM's tactical fights and replace the people with spaceships. Now, replace the map with a hex-based "space map" that has things like "cover" (asteroids, planets, etc. - some of which MOVE from turn to turn!) and other obstacles. All the ships in your fleet start the same, but you can modify/outfit your ships across a bunch of different subsystems (sensors, lasers, plasma cannons, torpedoes, armor, shields, drones, cloaking, engines...) to create ships with a specific role (scout has high speed and upgraded sensors. "Tank" ship has high armor/shields. Lasers are long range and plasma short range, so you can elect for a sniper-type laser setup or a cannon-based brawler setup, for instance.)

(I was not able to confirm if you can name your ships, but it would be a crime if the answer was no. )

The end result is a "Civ Light" with a focus on quests on top of a turn-based tactical XCOM-like battle...

...With Spaceships

My body is not ready and I'm about to keel over from hype.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    hippofant wrote: »

I'd almost prefer less Civ-like. Space 4xes have been awfully disappointing to me over the last few years, particularly strategic, empire-level combat. I'd be totally happy if this was like Starfleet Command, but more polished. (As much as I wanted to enjoy Starfleet Command, it was just... too much stuff to deal with, what with the real-time, unpausable port of a complex tactical board game, and then all the other issues....)

From what I could tell, the empire management was minimal - it's pretty light on the "Civ", other than the fact that you get fun territory control imagery and produce resources. Also, in most 4X you can build several fleets and explore multiple directions, but in Starships there appears to be one single fleet that you fly around with. All the resources and techs are focused exclusively on your fleet and not on economic development - that's all accomplished by quests/interactions with your fleet.

Sid was very clear that the game was about the starships and the various game mechanics you're working with are all never more than one step away from directly affecting your fleet.

--Mark Twain
  • DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    This sounds alot like what I'm hoping to do with the campaign layer in my game, except my battles are real time like starfleet command was. I am really hype for Starships!!

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    That actually sounds a fair bit like an old game I had from the Wing Commander franchise, Armada. You had a carrier, outfitted it with fighters, and flew from system to system along jump links. Once you'd taken the system - by jumping into a fighter (and the next, if that one gets blown up) and defeating all enemy fighters there - you got more "resource points" to buy more fighters. So while you wanted to capture and hold territory, it existed solely (and somewhat abstractedly) to supply your (single) fleet.

Commander Zoom on
  • DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I played that game, was fun. I remember flying the Arrow alot.
    A1bAVIA.png

DarkMecha on
    Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha