As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PSN] 22 Sep - SOMA | Afro Samurai 2 | FIFA

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Rumours are Super Meat Boy and Black Flag for ps+ games. I'd be happy with that.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Black Flag is the only Assassins Creed game I've ever wanted to play because I love Pirates. If we got that I'd be very happy to finally try it.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Black Flag is really great. I don't know if I'd play through it again, but it was a great time.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I was interested to hear more about the Arslan Senki game that showed during the TGS sizzle reel, because the show feels very similar to a Suikoden story. Turns out it's yet another Musou game, which is disappointing due to the glut of those coming out lately. It does look nice, though. The cell shading looks very sharp.

https://youtu.be/R44ct5nOTQs

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Help me, PSN thread, I have a question about Playstation TV compatibility

Me and the little wife were looking into buying one of them little thingers to play Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together and FFT: War of the Lions. Also possibly Persona 3 Portable down the line

Are these things compatible with the PSTV? We don't know anything about it except that it's the most affordable way to play some Vita/PSP games

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Eh, Black Flag has a lot of the same problems Assassin's Creed 3 did. Horrible missions, forgettable story, lame characters and shitty collectables covering the map. The one thing it does have is the boat gameplay, which is pretty fun.

I think the only AC I'd be interested in these days is an AC2 Collection of AC2, AssBro and AssRev.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »

Me and the little wife were looking into buying one of them little thingers to play Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together and FFT: War of the Lions. Also possibly Persona 3 Portable down the line

Are these things compatible with the PSTV? We don't know anything about it except that it's the most affordable way to play some Vita/PSP games

I'm pretty sure it will play any PSP/PS1 game that you could download straight to and play on a Vita.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Super Meat Boy and Black Flag are the best games of 2010 and 2013, respectively

That'd be a hell of a great month for Plus

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    YUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
    I now own FIFA 16 (retail) and have a snazzy new HDD!!!!!!

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular

Well Black Flag was better than Tomb Raider 2013 and DmC, I agree. Better than The Last of Us, GTAV, Tearaway or Metal Gear Rising though? Don't do drugs, kids.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »

I'm pretty sure it will play any PSP/PS1 game that you could download straight to and play on a Vita.

I found this

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/index.php?showtopic=281768

vita/pstv compatability should be identical, however ive heard reports of games not working on pstv if you download it directly to pstv (from psn store) but works if you download to ps3 and then use the transfer feature to get it onto the pstv

sony!

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

The Personas definitely work. I bought one recently during a sale, and it's essentially my Persona 3/4 machine.

• Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular

The Personas definitely work. I bought one recently during a sale, and it's essentially my Persona 3/4 machine.

I know that my husband has TO:LUCT on his memory card. When he gets home I'll get him to start up the Vita tv and try it for you.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I know FF Tactics works, it was a Plus game a long time ago.

Fair warning, it's... not a good port. Lots of slowdown and shit, poorly optimized. It's completely playable, and maybe it won't even bother you, but it might also drive you up the wall. There are fixes for it, but only on homebrew systems. Nothing you can take advantage of on the TV.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    Elin wrote: »

I know that my husband has TO:LUCT on his memory card. When he gets home I'll get him to start up the Vita tv and try it for you.

Yeah, it works.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I know FF Tactics works, it was a Plus game a long time ago.

Fair warning, it's... not a good port. Lots of slowdown and shit, poorly optimized. It's completely playable, and maybe it won't even bother you, but it might also drive you up the wall. There are fixes for it, but only on homebrew systems. Nothing you can take advantage of on the TV.

Well, some of the slowdown is because tactics has always had slowdown issues. Some things like AI decision making I think is faster on the PSP version. The thing I have the most problem with is the sound quality of the special effects. The added cinematics are super nice though.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited September 2015

This is the definitive list of Playstation TV compatible stuff in the US. Different regions have slightly different compatibility lists. You can create European or Japanese PSN accounts and buy games from other regions, but you'll need a different memory card for each region.

Some games are compatible with the PSTV but do not show up in the PlayStation Store on the PSTV; those are the ones that need to be transferred via a PS3.

Some games are compatible with the PSTV, but only the digital release of the game, not the physical release.

And of course there are tons and tons of games that Sony will gladly let you purchase from and download onto a PSTV with absolutely no indication that they're incompatible.

Frem on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    AC: Black Flag is definitely ... the best pirate themed Assassins' Creed game ever made. I guess.

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Brotherhood is the best AC game. Black Flag is the next and Rogue after that.

These are things we know.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    I still like the first the most, maybe not to go back and play now but in terms of my fondness for them.

• Options
    AsharadAsharad Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Black Flag is the only Assassins Creed game I've ever wanted to play because I love Pirates. If we got that I'd be very happy to finally try it.

I am in exactly the same boat. (ha!)

I loved Pirates and, as a result, loved Black Flag because a lot of it felt very much like an upgrade of Pirates. I've never been able to get into another AC game.

• Options
    edited September 2015

Well Black Flag was better than Tomb Raider 2013 and DmC, I agree. Better than The Last of Us, GTAV, Tearaway or Metal Gear Rising though? Don't do drugs, kids.

Tearaway and Rising are trash fire garbage

The Last of Us is great, GTAV is great, the rest of those are all great games

Black Flag gave me a sense of discovery that I never really see in other games though, and what's more important is how it felt

I spend a good amount of time every year in the Florida Keys (not Key West though, ugh), and also spent a few months in Hawaii several years ago, and the feeling of isolation from civilization that the game conveys when sailing to new areas fits so well with the feeling that I get from those places that it was one of the few times a game rose above being "just a game" for me

A bad Assassin's Creed title? Maybe, but that franchise is dangling from the thinnest thread anyways as far as I'm concerned. But Black Flag was a beautiful idea and one that I'd love to see them revisit in a new franchise entirely

EDIT: Actually even from a franchise perspective I think it's pretty strong. Edward is easily my favorite AC protagonist. As far as settings go, also my favorite (because I'm a sucker for anything tropical). I loved the combat in 3 and 4, easily my favorite version of AC combat. I'll always miss the Truth puzzles from 2 and Brotherhood but I really dug the Abstergo sequences, like, a whole bunch. The modern day story just ends rather abruptly and there are some bad mission types still but overall I think it's a damn good AC game as well as a fantastic game in its own right

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Why do you still confuse "I liked" with "it's good" and "I didn't like" with "it's trash fire garbage"?

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Why do you still confuse "I liked" with "it's good" and "I didn't like" with "it's trash fire garbage"?

Because why be merely wrong when one can be as belligerently wrong as possible?

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    AC: Black Flag is definitely ... the best pirate themed Assassins' Creed game ever made. I guess.

AC4 to me was this generation's Super Mario Brothers 2; it felt like they took a random completely unrelated game and slapped the AC name on it.

I guess Unity and (whatever the upcoming one is called) are actually set in cities? With buildings to climb over, and maybe a lack of "hunt random wildlife to get parts for tacked-on crafting system"?

• Options

Because why be merely wrong when one can be as belligerently wrong as possible?

There's wrong and then there's "UV wrong".

• Options
    edited September 2015

Because people were ranking games, and the mere process of ranking games implies objectivity, so if you were fine with it in one case you should be fine with it in the other

"X game is better than Y game" is no different than "Y game is trash" because you are (supposedly) making objective value statements either way

Of course, I have full faith in people knowing the difference between objectivity and subjectivity

And then I see posts like yours and remember, "wait, they don't"

I'm too lazy to do it, but I'm sure if you like you can go through your own post history and find an instance of a time you said "this game is good" or "this game is bad" and then you can ask yourself "why don't I know the difference between something that's good and something I like?"

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    That may be, but if I ever meet you you're getting a slap across the face with a glove for disliking Tearaway.

Pistols at dawn, good sir.

• Options
    It honestly felt like a Wii game to me in that sense of "we're gonna try to cram as much stupid gimmicky shit in here as possible to show off the system's features" but they forgot to make the game part fun

It's a bummer too because I'm one of the few that actually likes the platforming in LBP, so I know they know how to make good quality shit

I'm sure after Unfolded they'll move onto something else (because there's no way in hell that game will not bomb and bomb hard)

• Options
    "X game is better than Y game" is no different than "Y game is trash"

Yes it is.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Reynolds wrote: »
    "X game is better than Y game" is no different than "Y game is trash"

Yes it is.

How so?

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Well, at a basic level, those are two different groups of words that make two different sentences...sentence fragments. But also one is a comparison and one is just a statement.

If we just go by the logic presented there, you're saying that 'X>Y' is exactly the same as 'Y=trash'. So in any situation where you compare two things, the lesser thing immediately becomes trash. By what you're saying, there is exactly one good game in existence and all others are trash. Edit: Actually, it might just end up with every game eventually being trash.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    He is right about one thing. Tearaway isn't very good.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Damn, beaten by technicality. The worst kind of defeat.

But I meant more in the sense of, okay, I think Chrono Cross is a great game. Maybe you think it's a bad game. Who is right and who is wrong? Neither of us. Judging a game's quality is completely subjective, and if you want objective statements on games I will direct you to Objective Game Reviews, where only provable objective fact matters

I said I thought Black Flag was the best game of 2013. Not being negative, not shitting on anyone's parade. Not a negative post. Unco jumped in and said "wait, you're saying it's better than GTAV, The Last of Us, etc.? Don't do drugs, kids." Implying that my thinking is wrong, if I took his post in an objective manner.

I did not! Unco and I trade barbs about game quality all the time. I know he thinks DmC is a bad game, for example, and he also says some negative things about Black Flag a few posts above. I will not hold him over the fire and say "WHOA HEY DON'T YOU KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A BAD GAME AND A GAME YOU DON'T LIKE?" because they are one and the same, to him. If he thought it was good, he'd probably like it! It is not Provably Good, nor is it Provably Bad.

But then Stormwatcher comes in and tries to jump on only me saying "hey, don't you know the difference between what you like and what is quality?" He completely ignores the fact that Unco just listed two games that he thinks are worse Black Flag, and a list of four games he thinks are better. You will notice that nowhere in Unco's post did he say "in my opinion," because of course it's his opinion! He's posting it! But nope, I likely said something bad about something that Stormwatcher probably likes and thus I will be held to the standard where everything I post should be objective facts and my opinions should be stated as such.

This is goosery, obviously, because head into any designated thread for any designated game on this board and you will likely find some people praising those things. Their statements? No more objective than mine.

If someone is so sensitive that they can't handle somebody thinking a game they like is trash, that is on them. I'm not here to say "well I think the game is good but not my cup of tea," because no, no, I don't think the game is good! I think it is bad! If it were good, I'd like it. I like good games.

And in case you couldn't tell, "good" as my taste defines, because objectively good is not a thing that exists. :)

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    I typed out a whole thing and then deleted it because we're never going to get past the problem of using good as a general statement versus specific opinionated reaction.

I actually agree with you on a lot of games, so I don't want to attack you or anything, and it's really frustrating when you act like this.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    The best thing about Black Flag is that all the Assassin's Creed parts of it are all but buried. Never even bothered with the hidden blades. I'm in that game to be a pirate. Hopefully we've reached a point now where developers feel like they can just put out a pirate game without couching it in some dumb scifi thing.

• Options
    Now I want a sci fi pirate game.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    The best thing about Black Flag is that all the Assassin's Creed parts of it are all but buried. Never even bothered with the hidden blades. I'm in that game to be a pirate. Hopefully we've reached a point now where developers feel like they can just put out a pirate game without couching it in some dumb scifi thing.

The best thing about Black Flag - other than the ships, pirates, the setting and the shanties - is that it is a game that is largely about people who do not give a fuck about the Assassin/Templar bullshit. I'm glad that recent games have drifted away from that uberplot, since I felt it peaked when I murdered the Pope.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I don't like serious sports, therefore I don't like serious sports games.
    I'd never be as goosey as saying serious sports games are all bad.

I completely suck at fighting games, therefore I don't like playing them.
    I'd never be as goosey as saying fighting games are all fire trash whatsits.

There's plenty of great games I don't like, for several reasons such as the above examples.
    There's plenty of mediocre or even badly made games I enjoy. They might be failures in the gameplay or narrative areas, but maybe they appeal to my occasional escapist needs, nostalgia, or maybe I can feel super powerful because I can abuse shitty mechanics and that makes me feel good.

The whole objectivity vs subjectivity thing is not that binary or the absolute argument. You can recognize good craftsmanship and hate aesthetics. You can admit a game (or movie or book or whatever) is well made, clever, but that it doesn't appeal to you on some level.

for instance, Tearaway has some pretty lukewarm gameplay, but I completely fell in love with the looks, the feel and the experience. For me that's enough. But I recognize that the gameplay is lackluster, and therefore I understand that people who focus on challenge, skill and competition when playing games might not like it at all. See, here we have a great example, a well made experience, but a not very good test of skill

So I get that anyone might dislike it, and I even get that it can be fairly called a bad game. I still like it though.
    Thus, I don't just buy that dumping a bunch of tired rhetoric about HUR EVERYONE KNOWS SUBJECTIVE AND OBJECTIVE is the only way to talk about games.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Man, we have all used "thing is bad" as short-hand for "I don't like thing"

Don't know why we gotta have a big deal about it.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!