As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX is a little lonely.

EmrisEmris Registered User new member
Hi, I'm Anthony. My friends bailed on me a few weeks before the con, so I just came alone. I enjoyed the first day, walking around and seeing so many different games, but I definitely feel kind of lonely doing it all by myself. Anyone out there want to hang out on day 2?

• Options
    japesterjapester Registered User regular
    Do you like board and card games? It's really easy to meet folks in the tabletop area (just past the expo hall). If you see a table with a game box on it, and the game's lid is standing up, they are looking for players. I've joined a few groups like that. It's also really easy to make friends while in line for stuff. Just turn to the person next to you and say hello. I like seeing who's been to a PAX before and where they came from (if not locals).

• Options
    0takuSharkGuy0takuSharkGuy Registered User new member
    I'd be down to chill! But first I gotta get tickets. I'm coming into town tomorrow so hopefully I'll find some. If not! Good luck to you!

• Options
    AshTRAshTR Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I've had a lot of trouble meeting people myself, and I think people are just a little on the defensive because it's their first PAX or even their first convention so they have no idea what to expect from this.

What I've found helps is finding a way to get among a smaller group. The Handheld Lounge and AFK Rooms are probably really good for this. They're intimate smaller gatherings, so it's easier to meet and talk to people.

You basically have to accept that it's not going to be all that easy to meet people this year unless you're super outgoing or know at least a couple people that can network you to others.

AshTR on
    zEjfyle.png
  • Options
    OramiOrami Registered User regular
    You have got to try stop eating us please over in the table top area pretty fun game. They will be set up again today from what I hear. It is easy enough to grasp quickly and it is kind of like beta testing a table top game. I have a couple people with me today so if you want to meet a few of us we will be doing a lot of walking today I think, but message me on here and I will let you know where we are so we can all meet up.

• Options
    DevierueDevierue Registered User regular
    I met people by becoming involved in an unofficial event (ASoIaF pub crawl, but there are others). We took on a sort of leadership role, but even just attending an event about something you enjoy will help you establish some familiar faces.

Doesn't help as much for this year, I know, but something to keep in mind for next.

• Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    I wandered around and made a few friends just by talking to the people nearby as we waited for something. Perhaps you will have better luck next year. Talk to people. Make plans on a forum you enjoy. Use twitter and facebook to network before and during (turn off LTE on your phone to keep it working).

I hung out with some PAX folks as I was flying OUT of SAT on Wednesday (they flew in, and I live here).
    I only met a couple of grumpy folks, and then only on the last day so I assume they were tired.

If nothing else, talk to those indie devs. I had so much fun talking to one of the devs from 11 bit studios (This War of Mine). I only broke it off since the Enforcers were nearly on my we battons, wands, and a massive horn.

steam_sig.png