As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Casual Netrunner Online Escalation League (via OCTGN), new players always welcome.

Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
edited March 2015 in Critical Failures
This was an idea floated around the Netrunner thread(s) at the end of last year and it seemed to get enough interest to possibly be a goer so let's give it a shot.

1398460005965.jpg

What is this?

An online Netrunner escalation league, duh. Didn't you read the thread title? What word are you having difficulty with?

Netrunner?

An awesome card game. There's a thread with a very informative OP here and some examples of play by post games here.

Online?

There's a fabulous, free and easy(ish) online client for playing Netrunner (and other card games) called OCTGN. A very nice guide to getting it up and running is here. Follow it and you'll be up and running in no time. Once you're in there's a nice keystroke cheat sheet here and I certainly found the online community to happily provide a number of patient tutors to get me through my first few learning games.

Escalation?

This game has been going for a while. The card pool is a little overwhelming now as everything ever released is currently still play legal. As such I intend to take this back to the old school. Start round 1 with the core set pre-cons, round 2 introduce deck building, then from round 3 onwards slowly introduce the new cards in the order they were released. Perfect for the newbies (such as myself) to learn. A drop of nostalgia for the oldies.

Casual League?

Hey, that's two words! Let's keep this thing a casual easy fun thing. I'm thinking a good two weeks to play your organised match. A league table format rather than tournament means you can drop in and out with no worries and that winning is recognised but is also far from the main thing. Hopefully pick up practice games will be easy to swing via OCTGN friend lists and posting up here.

That all sounds great! So what do you want me to do now?

Install OCTGN and post your username in the thread. Letting me know a rough idea of your Netrunner experience would also be good (for example I've been playing since just before Christmas, have started dabbling a tiny bit in deck building but have yet to really leave the core set). We'll leave sign ups open for a week or so and see how many people we get. In the meantime getting in some practice/learning games on OCTGN would be good. Experienced people helping newbies learn the ropes would be great but like I said the wider community seems pretty dang nice at helping you get started.

MhCw7nZ.gif
Jam Warrior on

• Options
    Post 2 reserved for name lists.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    I'll have to relearn OCTGN, but I'll be up for Running some Nets.

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    SignUp!

Since my local player pool is pretty small I do a fair bit of OCTGN'ing. For netrunner been playing about 6 months and have gotten a lot of data packs and started going to organised events.

Edit: Username is dis

Dis' on
  • Options
    CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    Firstly, just wanted to say this is a great idea @Jam Warrior‌ and I really hope this takes off.
    Secondly, while I can't really commit to the league, I'm happy to be around to help if anyone wants help, tips, deck building guidance etc. Generally help in anyway that is needed, so please shout if I can.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    SignUp! woo! oh duh, octgn name is also QuantumTurk

QuantumTurk on
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Signup! Username is the same as here.

I tried OCTGN forever ago, but it was too inconvenient on my old tiny netbook. Now I have a new computer and have installed OCTGN but I've probably forgotten most of how it works.

General Netrunner experience is I've had the cards for a long time, but I've played far too few games with them. Some learning games with friends, one meet-up and one tournament (Chronos Protocol). I'm thinking getting some OCTGN experience in will help me gather the courage to actually interact with the meat space Netrunner group here a bit more.

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Also, gradual escalation sounds great, since I think another thing that's been kind of paralyzing me is I bought a bunch more cards before really being done with the core set and now deckbuilding feels staggeringly complex.

• Options
    TheMadjaiTheMadjai Sir Madjai of SanSan MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    TheMadjai. /signup for great justice.

Have been playing since 2012. Not as good as @Cerberus‌. But then, who is.

TheMadjai on
    "Yeah, TheMadjai knows whats up." --Lardalish

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    Android: Netrunner, Warhammer: Conquest, Star Realms
  • Options
    PraetorPraetor [Redacted]Registered User regular
    /signup as Prae on OCTGN. Fair amount of experience, only started playing summer last year, am still terrible.

3DS FC: 3067-6095-3603
  • Options
    theGWNtheGWN Registered User new member
    Sign up! Username is theGWN. A pretty solid n00b. I've played several matches on OCTGN.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular

Not sure how well my timezone in the UK will line up with people in general but I'm up for playing Netrunner whenever I can.

• Options
    I'm UK too! Figure we'll work around it even if I have to pull an occasional late nighter.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    And I'm in Denmark, ie. one hour ahead of the UK.

• Options
    faithfulskepticfaithfulskeptic Registered User regular
    /signup!

I've been playing since (roughly) Christmas, and lurking the Netrunner threads around here for a bit longer than that. By playing I mean a handful of games and a lot of deckbuilding. I'm faithfulSkeptic on OCTGN.

• Options
    KaneskiKaneski Registered User regular
    Signup!

Kaneski on OCTGN. Played a few games...

Melbourne, so GMT+10/+11.

• Options
    Nice amount of interest, good to see.

We've failed to hook any utterly new players though. As such shall we skip the pre-cons and go straight to base set deck building?

And one assumes it will be base set deck building in the magical land where the base set contained three of everything.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    Yeah okay.

It'll give me a reason to finally figure out Octogon.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    Nice amount of interest, good to see.

We've failed to hook any utterly new players though. As such shall we skip the pre-cons and go straight to base set deck building?

And one assumes it will be base set deck building in the magical land where the base set contained three of everything.

Sounds good to me! The pre-cons have some real balance issues anyway.

• Options
    borboskiborboski Registered User new member
    Long time lurker - I have netrunner the board game, but not played v anyone. Installed OTCG or whatever it's called and played around with it, nearly worked it out. Anyone willing to get me a quick tutorial? I got the basics of deck building and the game, but then moved onto MTG as I have a pal IRL to play with.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    I'll sign up. I haven't played much in the last 4 months or so, but used to play on OCTGN fairly regularly before that. borboski, I've got a few minutes if you want to ping me on octgn (same username)

sig.gif
  • Options
    Cheers - I need to reinstall it, will do so. UK based but will see if you're around. Get rezzing all that sweet ice etc.

• Options
    CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    I'm UK too! Figure we'll work around it even if I have to pull an occasional late nighter.

Not sure how well my timezone in the UK will line up with people in general but I'm up for playing Netrunner whenever I can.

Where are you guys based? Are you heading to any store championships, as it would be great to meet you.

• Options
    Hahaha, afraid not.

(a) Nowhere near store championship level! I'm still barely dipping my toe into core set deck building. Hence this project.

(b) Middle of nowhere rural Wiltshire. Ain't nothing going on anywhere near me,

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    I don't have anything but the core set and don't really have the cash to start deck building seriously so regretfully not.

I'm Hereford/Worcester way though if that's near by.

• Options
    Anyone around to help me with the otgcn thing?

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Current list

Forum name - OCTGN name

@Jam Warrior - jamwarrior
    @Capfalcon - capfalconpa
    @Dis' - dis
    @jakobagger - jakobagger
    @TheMadjai - TheMadjai
    @Praetor - Prae
    @theGWN - theGWN
    @Albino Bunny - albinobunny
    @faithfulskeptic - faithfulskeptic
    @Kaneski - Kaneski
    @borboski - ???
    @Powerpuppies - Powerpuppies
    @QuantumTurk - QuantumTurk

Missing a few OCTGN names.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    I'm sorry just go ahead and drop me for now.

I'm just not going to have time for this in the near future as I need to start planning for my new 13th Age campaign.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    oh, my OCTGN name is the same as my forum. So should just be Albino Bunny, or maybe albinobunny without the sapces because OCTGN's naming system is butts.

• Options
    Hmm, can't seem to add friends on OCTGN. I guess they need to be online at the time?

I'm on now if anyone was after some help with the program.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Cerbrerus wrote: »

Where are you guys based? Are you heading to any store championships, as it would be great to meet you.

I won a store championship back near honor and profit, but I've kinda dropped out due to grad school keeping me from playing. Now it'd be about 100 to catch back up, so...

• Options
    Final roughly 24hr warning and I'll get the round 1 matchups hopefully posted tomorrow.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Final roughly 24hr warning and I'll get the round 1 matchups hopefully posted tomorrow.

Glad I checked out the Critical Failures root, nearly missed this!

I'd like to give this a go, though it's been a long time since I've used OCTGN. I believe my username there is the same as here. As for experience, I've been buying Netrunner for a while but I only play casually with my SO and occasionally friends.

Endaro on
  • Options
    Mr. Mojo RisinMr. Mojo Risin Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Whew almost missed this total newbie to netrunner and octgn expecting to get destroyed but should be fun anyways.
    Username is vaamoose

Mr. Mojo Risin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    I'm game.

OCTGN name is regrysk

• Options
    So umm, whats the deck building rules for the first go? Just core set bonanza? Assume 1, 2, 3 core sets?

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    I really wish octgn worked on mac. =(

• Options
    I'm pretty sure that deckbuilding for the first season is just the core sets.

• Options
    Round one entirely random draws:

@Dis' vs @Powerpuppies
    @REG Rysk vs @Mr. Mojo Risin
    @theGWN vs @jakobagger
    @borboski vs @Kaneski
    @Praetor vs @Quantumturk
    @Capfalcon vs @faithfulskeptic
    @Jam Warrior vs @Albino Bunny
    @Endaro vs @TheMadjai

So the plan is round one is core set only deck building, from the magic land where the core set contained three of every card.

Negotiate a time to play with your opponent and play two matches, one on each side.

3 points for a win, 1 point for a draw.

Let's make a target of all matches played by two weeks from now, so 25th Feb.

Hopefully that's all we need as far as rules go? Bring on the questions if you have any.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Sure, take me for the first round. Give yourself the easier option :P I can play pretty much whenever. You got a Steam @Jam Warrior ? Probably the easiest way to get in touch.

• Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    Oh poop, I got the veteran.