As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Western Animation] Wibbly Wobbly, Timey Wimey...Awoo-oo!

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Why though.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Why though.

Because they made it before the movie flopped

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I like the art style. Nice and retro.

• Options
    WinklebottomWinklebottom Registered User regular
    New Steven Universe
    We keep learning more and more tidbits of Gem culture, apparently they have a race based Caste System. Which I'm guessing was atleast partial motivation for the Rose Quartz Factions rebellion on top of the horrible plans the gems had for Earth.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Well, the Peabody and Sherman show can't be worse than the Captain Crunch talk show that appeared on YouTube a while back.

Looks like that crap got completely scrubbed out of existence, though.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    New Steven Universe
    We keep learning more and more tidbits of Gem culture, apparently they have a race based Caste System. Which I'm guessing was atleast partial motivation for the Rose Quartz Factions rebellion on top of the horrible plans the gems had for Earth.

We've gotten hints of this before
    When Jasmine shows up she refers to Pearl as "defective" - so there are other 'normal' Pearls too. Maybe cause her gem is an oval rather than a sphere?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    New Steven Universe

We've gotten hints of this before
    When Jasmine shows up she refers to Pearl as "defective" - so there are other 'normal' Pearls too. Maybe cause her gem is an oval rather than a sphere?
    I think it's simpler than that. A "normal" Pearl would be off to the side holding someone's bags and looking pretty. An aggressive warrior Pearl is defective because, as Peridot said, that's not what Pearls do.

• Options
    FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Newest season of Adventure Time is coming entering November. Rejoice~!
    How old is Finn at this point? I am curious...

Edit: Also, Bravest Warriors is premiering sometime this month, I presume nearing Halloween. So we have a double dose of Pen Ward's flagships.

Firebird on
    steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Firebird wrote: »

Finn was 16 as of the end of last season. He's gettin' up there.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Firebird wrote: »

Edit: Also, Bravest Warriors is premiering sometime this month, I presume nearing Halloween. So we have a double dose of Pen Ward's flagships.

You can't have two flagships, can you? Maybe if you have two admirals ...

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Adventure Time Comic Con panel summarized.

Exec producer bein' evasive on those shipper questions...

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    How many seasons is adventure time up to?

I know season 5 came out on DVD this year.

• Options
    Season 7 starts next month.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    So Gravity Falls.

That was more holy fucking shit than I was expecting.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT74992z9hk

Looks a little better as we see more of it. They've got some good voice talent in there (and the same VA for Beastboy).

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    of course barbara would be the IT girl...

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Thin Waller.

Pass

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    I still remember Toonami's old block with Moltar and then later fat TOM. Buff TOM had some event before he rolled out right?

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    I think some Toonami event happened where some ooze ate fat Tom.
    Then Buff Tom came out and started running the show.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    So Gravity Falls.

That was more holy fucking shit than I was expecting.

Yeah, sort've... took a turn towards the end there...

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    There are new Gravity Falls episodes? What was the latest one about?

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Judging by how the internet is reacting to the last nights episode, it'd be dangerous to say what it was about.
    Instead have a title!
    "Dipper And Mabel Vs. The Future"
    and the next episode is the last(?) of the season called "The Final Showdown"

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    … that episode is not available on disney.com :(

• Options
    It's available for 1.99$ at amazon...

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Speaking of Gravity Falls, I just discovered Mabel's Guide to Life.

I was expecting crappy clips, but they're all-new and pure gold.

https://youtu.be/pPkZFsl8ZoQ

(They're all up on YouTube in the Disney Channel's channel)

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT74992z9hk

Looks a little better as we see more of it. They've got some good voice talent in there (and the same VA for Beastboy).

That was nice... but how should I say this...

I mean... Marvel hasn't really done anything for girls in the animation department, but DCs idea of a girlcentric superheroine show is to set it in a high school? Never mind that they have some kickass heroines, the best setting they can come up with is a high school? That is the best they can come up with for a show aimed at girls? Lets put all the classic superheroines in high school together? And am I the only one that gets a MLP:Friendship is magic vibe from this?

Marvel isn't better, but they are not worse.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Yeah, this is one of those situations where it's still perfectly clear that "I don't get it".

I'm absolutely all for equality. Boys should be allowed to like princesses, girls should be allowed to like macho superheroes, and everything in between. And I'm becoming more aware when stuff has misguided gender issues, almost always towards the female scale.

So on that note, with that level of realization... is this not dumb stupid pandering? We want girls more interested in superheroes, so we're going to take all the female superheroes... and put them in a high school setting? Because girls obviously can't handle simple superhero asskicking. There has to be friendship, and emotional bonding, and social dynamics and drama.

I just... I don't get it. Is this cool? Are we cool with this? I'm cool with it being cool. I'm also cool with it not being cool. Although honestly I'd probably still watch it, it looks fun either way.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    The DC Superhero Girls thing is pretty much Mattel's hope to take a bite out of the Monster High pie.

But according to The Mary Sue, Mattel is trying to make them genuinely appealing and powerful rather than just girlified, so there's some effort going into this.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    The DC Superhero Girls thing is pretty much Mattel's hope to take a bite out of the Monster High pie.

But according to The Mary Sue, Mattel is trying to make them genuinely appealing and powerful rather than just girlified, so there's some effort going into this.

Mattel owns Monster High already so I'd say they'd want this to supplement that line by attracting a different audience and/or having crossover appeal rather than taking a bite out of the existing audience and just transferring money from one brand to the other.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Star vs. FOE got kind of heavy in the last few episodes...

DC High writing just seems really bad so far.

• Options
    Opty wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Mattel owns Monster High already so I'd say they'd want this to supplement that line by attracting a different audience and/or having crossover appeal rather than taking a bite out of the existing audience and just transferring money from one brand to the other.

Well, that shows how much I know about toys for girls. Fascinating.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Does Star get better as it goes? I got around to watching the pilot and a few subsequent episodes, and it was cute enough, but it seemed to be trying too hard to hit the Weird and Wild thing.

Also, is there any sort of ongoing storyline, or is it just a bunch of standalones? Like, if I watch it, do I need to hit them in order? Things like SU and GF have made me paranoid about jumping into the middle.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Allegedly Marvel is uninterested in girls because Disney already has that base thoroughly covered.

• Options
    edited October 2015

Does Star get better as it goes? I got around to watching the pilot and a few subsequent episodes, and it was cute enough, but it seemed to be trying too hard to hit the Weird and Wild thing.

Also, is there any sort of ongoing storyline, or is it just a bunch of standalones? Like, if I watch it, do I need to hit them in order? Things like SU and GF have made me paranoid about jumping into the middle.

There is a story, and you do want to watch it in order.

Not only does the main cast develop, but so do some background and antagonist characters. A lot changes in the last few episodes.

The show is actually doing long-term world-building even though it looks like one-off gags.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular

There is a story, and you do want to watch it in order.

Not only does the main cast develop, but so do some background and antagonist characters. A lot changes in the last few episodes.

The show is actually doing long-term world-building even though it looks like one-off gags.

Sweet. I had the same feelings about the show as ElJeffe. Guess I should give it another shot.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    There is world building, and an overarching story, but its not to the same degree as gravity falls or Steven universe

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

It's no where near as good as SU or GF, but it is mostly watchable.

Definitely need to watch it in order for the stuff near the end of the season, it doesn't super matter for the early stuff since its mostly gags.

• Options
    By the end of season 1 of Star vs. Foe, randomly recalled, seriously all the spoilers:
    • Star gets wing buds
    • Marco has an arm possessed by a monstrous parasite...permanently.
    • St. Olga's Reform School is basically a brainwashing camp, and the cast break people free of the control... but not the camp.
    • Pony Head stays back at St. Olga's as kind of an intellectual freedom fighter.
    • St Olga's head learns about Earth and plots revenge.
    • Star asserts that Marco needs to stop being such an ass so she can grow as a person.
    • We learn that Star's dad is a badass crazy person just like her, but worse.
    • We learn about Star's demonic ex and his anger management problems.
    • It's hinted that Star may have done some dubious stuff while with said ex. "We both have horns."
    • Star and Marco have their souls bound together for all eternity.
    • Every time they address Marco's crush, Marco makes lasting progress in speaking with her.
    • We learn that the humans of Mewnie had taken over monster land and are basically pulling an British Colony thing on the natives.
    • We learn that lower class humans in Mewnie don't have it that great, either.
    • We learn that monsters are capable of being civil to varying degrees, and that they are not absolutely evil, even when they're just too used to doing harmful things to adapt.
    • A competent villain, Toffee, appears as a vizier, kicks Buff Frog out of the monster army... then kicks Ludo out and takes over.
    • After an awkward and desperate bribe attempt by Ludo, Buff Frog finally stops taking Ludo's shit. Taking the bribe (Tadpoles, so, babies), Buff Frog declares himself to be a responsible father and helps out the heroes.
    • Toffee can regenerate quickly from major injury, but has a finger that is permanently cut off, so obvious backstory trigger for season 2.
    • Toffee doesn't want to steal the wand... instead, he makes Star "destroy" it after completely outclassing her despite her going competent badass. This ends up making it more powerful, but it has a piece missing in the rubble... of Ludo's utterly destroyed castle... which now has a big crystal formation in the middle.
    • The bad guy won.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    Allegedly Marvel is uninterested in girls because Disney already has that base thoroughly covered.

Hear that too. Kind of hard to beat the Disney Princess line when it comes to girl appeal. Still doesn't excuse Marvel tho, superheros are the big thing in movies and pop culture(mostly thanks to Marvel). There should be more options for Girls there.

As for DCSHG, they could have gone the Brave and the Bold route with Wondy, Supergirl and Batgirl. Tell stories about them kicking butt in their regular superheroics only up the slice of life quotient.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    By the end of season 1 of Star vs. Foe, randomly recalled, seriously all the spoilers:
    • Star gets wing buds
    • Marco has an arm possessed by a monstrous parasite...permanently.
    • St. Olga's Reform School is basically a brainwashing camp, and the cast break people free of the control... but not the camp.
    • Pony Head stays back at St. Olga's as kind of an intellectual freedom fighter.
    • St Olga's head learns about Earth and plots revenge.
    • Star asserts that Marco needs to stop being such an ass so she can grow as a person.
    • We learn that Star's dad is a badass crazy person just like her, but worse.
    • We learn about Star's demonic ex and his anger management problems.
    • It's hinted that Star may have done some dubious stuff while with said ex. "We both have horns."
    • Star and Marco have their souls bound together for all eternity.
    • Every time they address Marco's crush, Marco makes lasting progress in speaking with her.
    • We learn that the humans of Mewnie had taken over monster land and are basically pulling an British Colony thing on the natives.
    • We learn that lower class humans in Mewnie don't have it that great, either.
    • We learn that monsters are capable of being civil to varying degrees, and that they are not absolutely evil, even when they're just too used to doing harmful things to adapt.
    • A competent villain, Toffee, appears as a vizier, kicks Buff Frog out of the monster army... then kicks Ludo out and takes over.
    • After an awkward and desperate bribe attempt by Ludo, Buff Frog finally stops taking Ludo's shit. Taking the bribe (Tadpoles, so, babies), Buff Frog declares himself to be a responsible father and helps out the heroes.
    • Toffee can regenerate quickly from major injury, but has a finger that is permanently cut off, so obvious backstory trigger for season 2.
    • Toffee doesn't want to steal the wand... instead, he makes Star "destroy" it after completely outclassing her despite her going competent badass. This ends up making it more powerful, but it has a piece missing in the rubble... of Ludo's utterly destroyed castle... which now has a big crystal formation in the middle.
    • The bad guy won.

You saw the stinger at the end of the episode/credits right?
    The missing shard is nestled in viscera and a rib cage.

a4irovn5uqjp.png