As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Flight Sims] DCS open-beta approaches something modern: Using more than one CPU core!

1293031323335»

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Nice gear!

One thing I'm glad Virpl does, that most other companies don't seem to, is they label stuff generically. On that one it's fine, literally an F-16 throttle you know? But I was put off getting some VKB panels because the buttons are labeled for general aviation use with a very specific layout I won't be using. Extra potential for confusion.

Just fly in VR, problem solved

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    So the base got here today, but the grip is stuck in Korean customs. I can just imagine the Koreans going "Wait a second...why is someone shipping an F-16 throttle from China?".

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    So the base got here today, but the grip is stuck in Korean customs. I can just imagine the Koreans going "Wait a second...why is someone shipping an F-16 throttle from China?".

Box 1/2: F-16 Throttle
    Box 2/2: GE F110

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Loud whistling noises ensue as Gnome starts up a GE F110 strapped down with bungie cords in his backyard.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Loud whistling noises ensue as Gnome starts up a GE F110 strapped down with bungie cords in his backyard.

It’s a shame it’s not the old PW engine, or you’d be getting the freedom squee from the nozzle actuator as well

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    edited March 5
    uDA8FhQ.jpg

I didn't find it as hard to put together as some others have noted. Once I understood how it needed to be aligned it was relatively easy to get the throttle moving smoothly. The grip itself is INSANE, you could beat someone with it. All metal with really positive feelings switches. I'm not a real F-16 pilot but I've sat in the real thing and have flown a "military grade" sim and from my amateur point of view the grip is perfect. Feels exactly like it should. That opinion has been backed up on YouTube by some actual F-16 pilots. The only "not real" thing is that in the real jet cage/uncage is not a four way, it's just a press. Having the extra inputs is nice though for a sim piece. Also I'm not sure the tiny finger buttons on the under side of the grip are on the real thing? I can't remember...again, more inputs isn't bad for a sim piece.

The base itself has a bit more plastic then I'd like, but frankly at the price point, and with the quality of the F-16 grip itself, I'll deal. The guide rail/board is also plastic, but the mounting hardware is all metal. Frankly I don't think it will be an issue since the only thing that makes contact with it is a small plastic bearing. It comes with spare bearings which is really nice.

Haven't booted up a sim with it yet, but first impression are positive. I will say that my idea of buying the F/A-18 grip and just swapping them is not realistic though. If I do decide to get an F/A-18 grip I'll buy a whole separate throttle base and attachment plate and just swap the entire thing. Taking the guide rail and mounting apart, and then unscrewing the grip to put a new one on, is a process. One I wouldn't want to repeat regularly.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    Been flying a bunch of DCS and BMS with the new throttle. I used the Warthog throttle for so long it's taken me time to retrain my muscle memory. The speed brake and DGFT override keep getting confused in my head.

Overall it's a pretty incredible experience. Feels great to use and was crazy easy to bind in both DCS and BMS. BMS basically auto-bound, while DCS took a few minutes but was easy.

• Options
    Steam Spring Sale is going on, and a lot of DCS modules are on sale for $montana instead of $texas.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Been flying a bunch of DCS and BMS with the new throttle. I used the Warthog throttle for so long it's taken me time to retrain my muscle memory. The speed brake and DGFT override keep getting confused in my head.

Overall it's a pretty incredible experience. Feels great to use and was crazy easy to bind in both DCS and BMS. BMS basically auto-bound, while DCS took a few minutes but was easy.

Retraining muscle memory is actually a huge deal in aviation. There are a lot of mishaps that occur when pilots react using the wrong aircraft procedures.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Got my preorder package from Heatblur

Now if they only released the damn plane :sweat_smile:

izfeze4xi4be.png

steam_sig.png( < . . .