As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

RIP Monty Oum

fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell#BLMRegistered User regular
so if you've been on the internet for a while, maybe even enjoy video games, you've probably heard of Monty Oum.

he did the original Metroid/Halo mashup film Haloid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL-mR79GErU

and then went on to make the Dead Fantasy series, which mashed up Dead or Alive, Final Fantasy, and Kingdom Hearts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHA3opXjcd0

his work got him gigs doing the combat animation for Afro Samurai and later becoming one of the lead animators for Rooster Teeth on the Red v. Blue series.

he passed away yesterday. i'm pretty sad about it. Monty seemed like a genuinely good guy with a lot of talent. he pretty much taught himself how to do 3d animation and modeling and set up great combat scenes. i was genuinely looking forward to what he would do next.

anyways, figured there'd be fans of his work here. i know he went to a few PAXes and other conventions, so i'm sure some folks here have met him. also, if you want to donate to his family, there's a link here.

ffNewSig.png
steam | Dokkan: 868846562

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    This sucks donkey balls.

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Truf, all the stuff I read about him was that he was a standup guy. :( Here's hoping solace and peace for the family and friends.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Man, even if the whole "weightless anime girl action" genre isn't my thing, I always respected the sheer amount of polish the guy put into everything he touched

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    yeah, i think that's the part that gets me most. he pretty much taught himself how to set up and polish fighting and action sequences. that's incredible.

ffNewSig.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Crap.

Saw it on my twitter and I knew the name sounded familiar.

I remember being blown away by his work. He had an eye for action choreography and the fact that it was all self taught was even more impressive.

Also going out in such a random way..damn..:/

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    RWBY was my first encounter with his work and caused me to look back. I love all of it.

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Monty was a super legit guy who had a crazy good work ethic and an amazing story of how he got where he is.

:(

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    Good Looking Fat GuyGood Looking Fat Guy West Hartford, CTRegistered User regular
    He apparently had some kind of extreme allergic reaction.

I had the good fortune to meet him at PAX East in 2010. He was really nice and laid back and it was cool to hang out with him briefly.

This is sad.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I didn't know who this was so I looked him up. He seemed like a genuinely good and talented dude and that is a shitty and random way to lose a human life.

My utmost respect to his friends and family.

• Options
    Kyoka SuigetsuKyoka Suigetsu Odin gave his left eye for knowledge. I would give far more Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    As well as being incredibly talented he was also really funny and down to earth

A true shame, the industry will be worse off for losing him

:(
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x69pO2YzuSw

Kyoka Suigetsu on
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I viewed a lot of Monty's pre-haloid work in high school.
    He was a talented dude, and it was neat to check in every few years and watch him improve and create ever crazier things.
    The future will have way less radical art with his passing. I'll still revisit that body of work though, as it's basically a personal classic.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Youtube's telling me there's gonna be a podcast that streamed live on Youtube as well and comments are disabled. Starts in about 2 hours.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Very sad about this.

I've been really enjoying RWBY despite some flaws. I wonder if this means that show is done.

A loss of a talented man well before his time. Shitty day.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Literally watched RWBY for the first time eight days ago at MagFest.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Monty Oum isn't dead, He's just powered down for a deep cycle recharge.

I wont believe anyone who says otherwise.

• Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    This has hit me super hard. And I'm not even a big fan of RBWY or Dead Fantasy.

I think part of it has to do with the fact he's my age, and also like others have said, just how he was self taught and managed to make a name for himself.

This is the first thing I've ever saw of his and still my favorite
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YixlOSdyc9s

noir_blood on
  • Options
    Very sad about this.

I've been really enjoying RWBY despite some flaws. I wonder if this means that show is done.

Miles and Kerry do a lot of the writing for it, So it'll probably continue

• Options
    Very sad about this.

i started watching RWBY when i first saw that Monty was hospitalized. figured i'd see what he was working on.

i've been enjoying it, and all of the animation, writing, and acting has definitely gotten stronger with each episode. whatever RT decides to do with the series, Monty definitely did a great job setting it up.

damn. that makes me sad again.

ffNewSig.png
  • Options
  • Options
    man Rooster Teeth's site is getting slammed right now for the podcast.

ffNewSig.png
  • Options

I thought they weren't doing videos today because of Monty's passing recharge cycle

• Options
    Professor FuzzlesProfessor Fuzzles Not a furry, just sayin' FuzztopiaRegistered User regular
    I love RWBY and watching him when he did interviews he came across as a lovely and passionate man.
    Rest his soul and my respects to his family and friends.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Even if they do continue RWBY, they'd have to find someone else to voice Ren.

Still, this news fucking sucks.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I really didn't think much of RWBY but his previous stuff has been really great.

Fucking shitty news. Going out at 33 is not the innings anyone deserves.

• Options
    Buttcleft wrote: »

I thought they weren't doing videos today because of Monty's passing recharge cycle

they decided to do a special tribute podcast for Monty. i think they still didn't post any other videos.

ffNewSig.png
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    noir_blood wrote: »
    This has hit me super hard. And I'm not even a big fan of RBWY or Dead Fantasy.

I think part of it has to do with the fact he's my age, and also like others have said, just how he was self taught and managed to make a name for himself.

Yeah it makes me want to kick myself for being so wasteful with my time when i'm just about 30.

I watched s1 of RWBY and while I thought it didn't really break any barriers I felt, and this might sound cheesy or cliche, that a lot of care and heart went into making it. There was a definite charm in it and I feel like most of that was his doing. From the stuff with him I saw, Monty seemed like a really great guy and his motivation to create was inspiring.

I saw him at PAX last year and I said hi to Ray from AH and felt so awkward after doing it that I felt too shy to tell Monty that I appreciated his work. Quite regretting that now. My thoughts go out to his friends and family.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Oh God...

I was wondering what was wrong that was preventing them from uploading videos yesterday. If I'd realized...

Fuck, man. :( I never got into his stuff too heavily, but he seemed alright.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    http://roosterteeth.com/podcast/episode.php?id=309

For those that missed it the Monty Oum memorial podcast from last night has been released.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Hard to watch at times, but it was cool to see a man with such driving passion.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Monty Oum was definitely an incredibly bright flame, its sad his wick was just so goddamn short.