As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Arrow-Verse: DC on TV (and Legends of Tomorrow)

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    The entire batman franchise and street vigilantes in general has had a hard time seeming relevant in a post BLM world where we realize that maybe the problem law enforcement isn't a lack of police punching power.

Forgive me if this isn't actually the nature of the show, I never actually watched it.

• Options
    RhinocerousRhinocerous Registered User regular
    The entire batman franchise and street vigilantes in general has had a hard time seeming relevant in a post BLM world where we realize that maybe the problem law enforcement isn't a lack of police punching power.

Forgive me if this isn't actually the nature of the show, I never actually watched it.

Kate Kane inherits the mantle of the Bat from Bruce Wayne, who is missing. She spends most of her energy combating her nemesis, Alice (read: lady Joker), who is also her long lost twin sister. There is the expected amount of punching and bat-tech. But her real superpower is being an out lesbian.
    (Note: I don't care that she is a lesbian. It has no effect on my desire to watch the show. But the show cares. It cares very, very much.)

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Looking forward to getting back into arrowverse

The last season of Arrow was kind of a bummer aside from the crossover, and I've pretty much stopped watching flash as of two seasons ago, I made it through three seasons of supergirl, didn't really get into Black Lightning but I heard it's good, and watched a couple seasons of Legends.

Looking forward to seeing more lois and clark

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Superman and Lois looks so good! It has been too long since I've had a weekly dose of Superman goodness. 😁

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Batwoman's having to deal with switching to a new lead character they obviously weren't planning to, but it gives them a chance to take a look at what's working and what isn't. They're essentially having to do a spin-off in the same series.
    Having a hero who's actually focused on saving people more than resolving her issues with her not dead insane sister might end up being a plus. They just need to work out how to add her in with every other character who's defined by their relationship to the old main character.
    And also give her some kind of training other than just angry at the world.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    I think Ruby Rose jumping ship is the source of the problem, kind of leaving them in the lurch storywise. The main villain is/was batgirls twin sister and the authorities where run by her dad.

Not helped by the fact that the stunt work of a batfamilly member needs somebody with the skills of Caity Lotz to do them justice in the first place and Ruby Rose is not at that level in any capacity even before her accident. She is also not the best actress in the world, she just couldn't hold a candle to her own supporting cast, much less to Rachel Skarsteen as Alice.

Honestly Ruby Rose was casting looks over talent and it showed.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Superman and Lois looks so good! It has been too long since I've had a weekly dose of Superman goodness. 😁

Sounds like someone needs to watch the old 90s Lois and Clark show.

It's terrible, but it's terrible in a way that's usually entertaining.

• Options
    Batwoman (the show) can probably get most of the cast to actually be useful to the new Batwoman (the woman), despite the lack of personal relationships.
    Assuming she decides she wants to keep being Batwoman (which I'm going to go ahead and assume), Luke would support her as tech support, and having Mary around to fix random injuries like krypronite bullet wounds would probably be beneficial.
    Kate's dad might be more friendly to the new Batwoman after thinking about how keen he was to shoot the last one before finding out she was his own daughter, but probably not. Ryan's got better cause not to like the Crows, anyway.
    Sophie is the tough one to keep around, but if she's in on the secret, she could end up teaching Ryan how to actually fight, which would be handy.

Having a main character who isn't rich and special and has experience of how bad the system can be for the innocent normals makes more sense for a vigilante, at least.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    skeldare wrote: »

So the insinuation there I feel is that the kids don't have powers. (are they adopted? the whole superman isnt compatible with humans thing?) If they aren't adopted, I give it till end of the season before it happens. Like a stinger or a resolution to a climax.

This feels like, with some of the other teen drama they are bringing forward, its returning to their 'pretty (used to be white) people with problems' setup that MadTV used to make fun of. Is this really going to be black lightning except with white people?

Wasn't Diggle going to metropolis to "help" them, and then we get the scene that the Oliver reset, set him up to be the green lantern? I guess his send off was good enough. Would have been funny for him to green lantern bubble fly the flash through space and watch Barry get airsick. Diggle would cackle the whole way.

The huge overarching problem with batwoman was the focus on their family beef and social issues and the ignoring of the fact that their actual privilege set up a whole side society of PMC's and rich people using gotham as their jungle gym. It felt like a weird venture brothers setup where gotham didnt matter, just these 5 people the the entire 'scene' revolved around and their beef and everyone else suffered for it. Alice/Batwoman constantly gets away because they're the daughters of the owner of the PMC for gods sake.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Even before Crisis Lois was pregnant/just had Johnathon so he's compatible :winky:

Aging him up and throwing another kid in there is the main change but I suspect that a huge part of the series is going to be powers/living with powers 101, keeps the scale a bit smaller and taps that classic Smallville teens thing. Last I heard Diggle was going to be doing the rounds of the remaining shows and then going off to Pilot his spin off but Covid has probably thrown a largish wrench in all those plans for the time being.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Terrendos wrote: »

Are you kidding me, I love Lois and Clark and am in the middle of a watch through right now. I'm kind of jumping between Lois and Clark, Smallville, and the Adventures of Superman.

I posted this a while back but this is my Superman TV/Movie shelf:

cj8sisM.jpg

I kinda like Superman. :P

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Some time in the near future I'll be watching through Superboy, which I haven't watched through in forever.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

How dare you.

The New Adventures of Lois and Clark is a treasure

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Turning a Superman story into a rom-com I thought and still do that it was a stroke of genius. It was different and enjoyable.

Lois and Clark gave the absolute best versions of Lois Lane and Perry White. Clark's relationship with Jonathan and Martha was great in that. Plus any episode with Tempus was pure gold.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Turning a Superman story into a rom-com I thought and still do that it was a stroke of genius. It was different and enjoyable.

Lois and Clark gave the absolute best versions of Lois Lane and Perry White. Clark's relationship with Jonathan and Martha was great in that. Plus any episode with Tempus was pure gold.

Doesn't Martha comment on Clark's junk within like 5 minutes of her being on screen?

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    She does briefly when she is working on making a costume for him. :?

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Even before Crisis Lois was pregnant/just had Johnathon so he's compatible :winky:

Aging him up and throwing another kid in there is the main change but I suspect that a huge part of the series is going to be powers/living with powers 101, keeps the scale a bit smaller and taps that classic Smallville teens thing. Last I heard Diggle was going to be doing the rounds of the remaining shows and then going off to Pilot his spin off but Covid has probably thrown a largish wrench in all those plans for the time being.
    Yeah, Pre-CWCrisis Lois was pregnant with Clark's kid. There was a story thread in Supergirl where Clark showed up, metaphorically tossed Kara the keys to protecting Earth, then bounced out with Lois to Argo where Kryptonians don't have powers.

Then Crisis happened and now it's Oops All Twins.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    This is the best scene in the entire series of Lois and Clark:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4Nov7vSkmU&ab_channel=hanakt

Its also one of the best scenes in the entire superman Mythos. I think after that they started to pull away from Lois never figuring out his secret identity in all future incarnations. Like its there, but its not a permanent part of her character and its only a the beginning of the story. In Man of Steel(and therefore in the DCEU), its hinted that she figures it out the first time she meets him as Clark, which is a great improvement. Its one of the better parts of MoS, Lois meeting Superman first and meeting the man behind the persona second.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Lois and Clark pulled a Legends-of-Tomorrow sort of upturn in the entertainment value of the show late in season 1, when the writers leaned full-on into the camp. I recall a Superman vs Superman throw-down in a fake Western town and all the folks there run and hide in barrels and whatnot.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Lois and Clark pulled a Legends-of-Tomorrow sort of upturn in the entertainment value of the show late in season 1, when the writers leaned full-on into the camp. I recall a Superman vs Superman throw-down in a fake Western town and all the folks there run and hide in barrels and whatnot.

It's better than sewer bats made venomous somehow.

edit: batwoman
    I appreciated the resolution that was just trapping bats and not fist fighting bad guys or a shootout for once, and she did something to save actual people despite them just being collateral for the regular family feud. Still an awful episode, they paramedics and crows are bringing people into the underground clinic their leader doesnt know about, there should not be a top 5 worst kept secrets in gotham list.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    The New Adventures of Lois and Clark is very different from modern superhero TV.

First things first, every villain on the show is 100% more of an asshole than any villain that'll show up in an Arrowverse property.

It isn't even comparable. The bad guys on Lois & Clark are just walking douchebags.

Secondly, the first season is hornier than any modern superhero TV show (to the point that they had to drastically tone it down after that first season).

Thirdly, Lois & Clark works so well because it isn't a show about Superman, its a workplace comedy about Clark Kent (who also happens to be Superman). This is how you make a godlike being into a relatable character for your TV audiences.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

I appreciated the resolution that was just trapping bats and not fist fighting bad guys or a shootout for once, and she did something to save actual people despite them just being collateral for the regular family feud. Still an awful episode, they paramedics and crows are bringing people into the underground clinic their leader doesnt know about, there should not be a top 5 worst kept secrets in gotham list.

Or carnivorous sewer bats that are hunting rats as a large part of their diet.

Sure, I know, I shouldn't be watching CW Shows and expecting realistic science, but you've got "Bat" in the name. A 30 second google search will tell you that most bats eat insects, some bats eat fruit, and a rare few drink blood (tending to focus on large herbivores).
    New York Gotham sewer rats are not on that list.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »

Or carnivorous sewer bats that are hunting rats as a large part of their diet.

Sure, I know, I shouldn't be watching CW Shows and expecting realistic science, but you've got "Bat" in the name. A 30 second google search will tell you that most bats eat insects, some bats eat fruit, and a rare few drink blood (tending to focus on large herbivores).
    New York Gotham sewer rats are not on that list.

I got a soft spot for 'new york analog has so many rats it draws a predator population that then explodes because of all the rats' which was like a weird deep joke in futurama where they had owl infestations as a byproduct. Yeah the fact that they were carnivore at all was really dumb too. They could have set up dumb lore about the man bat doing genetic testing and they just really took to gothams sewers and were an escaped invasive species.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Look, bats = vampires = drinking blood = carnivorous, do your research people, it's obvious.
    I'll give Mary's clinic being a well-known not secret a pass, though. It's an acknowledgement that Gotham is a shithole, so the cops/crows on the street will accept it as a preferable alternative to nothing, and just don't tell the boss about it. Keeping something like that a secret from one person (who's stuck at HQ most of the time so won't wonder about all the bandaged people coming out of that building) is way easier than keeping it a secret from the crows as a whole, or whatever.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Isn't Gotham a Chicago substitute? Or possibly pre-fall-of-the-steel-industry Detroit? Pretty sure Metropolis is the NY analog.

Not that it matters, bat-wise. Unless there's a strain of carnivorous Chicago bats I'm unaware of.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    Isn't Gotham a Chicago substitute? Or possibly pre-fall-of-the-steel-industry Detroit? Pretty sure Metropolis is the NY analog.

Not that it matters, bat-wise. Unless there's a strain of carnivorous Chicago bats I'm unaware of.

Central city always read as Chicago to me but I forget why.

I believe most people consider gotham a 'major city near/in new jersey' as its usually on a coast. The cities are always nebulous and generally the real cities (new york) also exist. I think they get brought up along side 'central' and 'star(ling)' city like they are equivalent depending on the property. At least I think they have mentioned real cities in dctv on arrow/flash.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    Look, re: Superman & Lois, based off that trailer, I'm super psyched. I've always loved Superman, and the more modern lore has been fairly age appropriate for me. Smallville was a few years behind me, but I was about 19 when the first episode hit, so now that I'm about to hit 40, having a superman who is "apparently" (because you know, supes), middle aged, and dealing with teenage kids and that mixing with his super hero status as THE super hero could potentially be REALLY FUCKING GOOD, or at least relevant. Superman, despite many best efforts, has never really been about punching things. To even get there, it had to use super villains like Zod, Doomsday, Darkseid. It's the same problem some modern RPGs have.. If you just scale up your villains, what does it matter that you are superman? The most interesting Superman stories have been more about how he deals with the world around him rather than the villains (some obvious exceptions).

Seriously, you have so much potential here. How does Superman deal with normal kids? How does super famous dad raise teens (Smallville 2.0, but with Jonathan being replaced by Clark with powers)? What if only one kid has powers? How does mom deal with kids who might end up with powers? There is a TON of potential here.

• Options

The usual explanation is that Metropolis is NY by day, Gotham is NY by night. I think the Chicago substitute only really happened with the Nolan movies trying to differentiate them a bit more.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    A real shame that they had to write their way out of the Bruce Wayne imposter plot-line (resolved in just one episode aaand gone, but not before taking the Batmobile for a joy-ride) that they were obviously planning to be a much longer arc if it were not for Ruby Rose leaving the show.

I always figured that Gotham was based on Detroit.

• Options
    I'm kinda glad it was cut short. Given how bad Tommy was at acting like Bruce Wayne actually was rather than how he thought of him, it's hard to see how he could have fooled anyone who knew him for multiple episodes.
    He could maybe have fooled the general public for a while, but if any of the insiders had been taken in for more than forty minutes I'd have thought a lot less of them. Luke already failed half a dozen insight checks in two scenes.

• Options
    With Kate missing I can sort of give a pass to him being preoccupied.

Luke couldn't find the batmobile in the batcave for years and Batman would drive it around. Who did the tune ups? Who washed it? If that's automated, who installed it? Were beyond him not having good insight.
    We're batman beyond it.

I can't wait till we have a issue with wayne tower/the cave, and suddenly Luke is like:
    Luke: 'oh yeah, I guess theres another batcave under his mansion and then we could just live in the house, too. Theres secret entrances and exits, noone would know!'
    Batwoman: *stares* 'I've been in a van down by the river for years.'

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    With Kate missing I can sort of give a pass to him being preoccupied.

Luke couldn't find the batmobile in the batcave for years and Batman would drive it around. Who did the tune ups? Who washed it? If that's automated, who installed it? Were beyond him not having good insight.
    We're batman beyond it.
    The car is Bat-tech. It'll run perfectly, without maintenance, forever. Or until the script says a breakdown is needed to strand Batwoman on the wrong side of town.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    I can forgive Luke not knowing about stuff because wasn't he a late addition to the bat-team? I thought his dad wanted him kept out of it as much as possible.

And given that it's hardly the most impressive Batmobile, I can believe that it's just an emergency backup one for when Bruce needed a set of wheels at the office.
    If he ever does come back, he'll wonder why they've been operating out of the mini-cave:
    "Well I figured you had a cave under the mansion, but I could never find the way in."
    "Really? You never checked the Shakespeare bust?"

Look, I just want them to bring back the Bat-Poles.

klemming on
  • Options
    So........ you can't do this. you can't drag out Kate being missing. You just can't, right? Because shes not coming back, they can't make this a show or season arc, right?

You can't bring her back for a guest spot "I'm doing super secret stuff with batman/on my own, move on without me" right? It's eventual that they have her on camera for a few minutes out of costume for a crossover/event type thing, sure, if this show takes off.

I feel like any of this only works if you bring on Ruby Rose as supporting cast, which would kind of fit her reasoning for leaving(not enough time to do a lead role). And then you can't really keep up the Alice bullshit with her around.

Honestly Ryan's character (and to some extent Zsasz) was spot on this episode to the point for 4th wall breaking. Just noticing and calling out how fucked up everything is. If that show had been this from the start(without season 1) it would probably be a better show. The shock of a billionaire giving her a job by Luke while she helps out was jarring.

It's also just mean what they are doing to that father, he's given up on his second daughter. :rotate:
    Island Queen lady is going to turn out to be Kate and Alice's real mother, calling it now. No it doesnt have to make sense, shut up.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Perfect new faces are an established thing in Batwoman, they could have done that to Kate right away if they'd wanted.
    And did we ever get clarification on why Rose left? Is she so out that she would never consider coming back for a single episode to wrap things up and pass the torch of approval?

• Options
    edited February 2021
    klemming wrote: »
    Perfect new faces are an established thing in Batwoman, they could have done that to Kate right away if they'd wanted.
    And did we ever get clarification on why Rose left? Is she so out that she would never consider coming back for a single episode to wrap things up and pass the torch of approval?

She talks about it here. Who knows if there isn't more to it though.

https://ew.com/tv/ruby-rose-explains-decision-leave-batwoman/
    Rose elaborates that her decision to leave the superhero series wasn't just due to her injuries.

"It wasn't so much [the injury], especially because after we wrapped up we didn't get to finish the real finale because of COVID," she says. "You know, you have time in quarantine and sort of isolation to just think about a lot of different things and what you want to achieve in life and what you want to do. I think for both [me and the producers], it was a great opportunity to have a dialogue about a lot of things. I respect them so much and they've been so respectful to me."

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    skeldare wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »

She talks about it here. Who knows if there isn't more to it though.

https://ew.com/tv/ruby-rose-explains-decision-leave-batwoman/
    Rose elaborates that her decision to leave the superhero series wasn't just due to her injuries.

"It wasn't so much [the injury], especially because after we wrapped up we didn't get to finish the real finale because of COVID," she says. "You know, you have time in quarantine and sort of isolation to just think about a lot of different things and what you want to achieve in life and what you want to do. I think for both [me and the producers], it was a great opportunity to have a dialogue about a lot of things. I respect them so much and they've been so respectful to me."

Yeah this is a newer interview from the original announcement, and it kind of hints that it totally was actually partially about having to work 10 days after surgery instead of recovering for a month or two. She also mentions she was miserable on set because of the time/role requirements, and it effected production. But sounds like the leaving was amicable overall and noone in production complained?

In the end, it just kind of sounds like it wasn't a good working fit for her so everyone agreed to let her duck out. Honestly if its that simple its sad to see happen but hopefully everything works out for everyone involved.

Edit: If they ever made a canaries show she could pop up on supporting cast on something like that easily and make it a small arc. Hell, Legends needs new blood at this point.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    I don't hate what's going on with Batwoman this season.

Like, we as the audience know that Kate is (likely) not coming back, but in a world of superheroes, time travel, and one of the characters literally coming back from the dead (Alice), I buy that everyone thinks Kate is out there somewhere. Honestly, it would be more jarring if everyone just moved on to Ryan being the new Batwoman. Having the rug pulled out from under them when they find out that Kate is actually dead and gone will be really interesting.

The problem with the show is that most of the supporting cast and main villain all had personal ties to Kate, and its difficult to move away from that. Having Ryan have run ins with the corrupt Crows is a good way to tie her to Sophie and Jacob Kane, and I do like the focus on the racial imbalance of Gotham (Ryan flat out stating that Alice would have been shot if she was black was very to the point, and accurate). That makes much more sense to me as why Batwoman wouldn't want to work directly with the Crows.

If the show can start moving away from the mystery of Kate and start doing its own thing, I think I'd like it a lot more. The best way to do that is to remove Alice from the picture (and you could to it with this week's villain introduction without too much trouble).

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    Lots of renewals at the CW. Season 8 for The Flash, season 7 for Legends of Tomorrow and season 3 of Batwoman. Also an additional 2 episodes of Superman and Lois have been ordered, though no mention of a second season yet.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/walker-renewed-season-2-cw-flash-riverdale-legends-of-tomorrow-1234899745/

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA