As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Unidentified network happens randomly to wired connection for periods of time

LanchesterLanchester Registered User regular
Hopefully someone can help me out with this really strange issue. I'm not an idiot when it comes to this stuff, but I need some input...and my internet providers support completely sucks.

I've got my desktop wired to my router. 70% of the time, it works with no issues, but randomly it will give me a status of "Unidentified Network" and I'll have no network access. I'll have to plug in my wireless adapter and get internet access that way. The status of my wired connection can stay like that from anywhere to a week or months until eventually, it will no longer be unidentified, I can unplug my wireless adapter, and I'll get my internet back the way it was originally. This has happened 4 times now, where it becomes unidentified for a period of time, and eventually gets resolved.

I've called Verizon's support, and of course they go through all the dumb regular steps of making sure the router is connected correctly, resetting everything, blah blah blah. I keep telling them it's not a issue with my setup because it works fine and will randomly stop.

I thought since it works wirelessly, it's not a router problem and maybe it's a wired issue. I've checked my wired connection and didn't see any issues...and this was later confirmed when I discovered the day when the wired connection was re-established because I didn't do anything to anything when that was resolved.

I've also done some troubleshooting online and tried the solutions suggested, changing the properties of my TCP/IPv4 and set it to a specific DNS address...as well as install a Reliable Multicast Protocol, and disabling my firewall (although I hesitated to do that since my knowledge there isn't very great), and again, I got my wired connection back after some time and I did nothing to get it back. Nothing seems to work except wait some time and it'll magically come back.

My questions to everyone; Has anyone seen/heard of something like this before? Do you know of anything I can try to see if it resolves the issue? And lastly, is there anything I can do, while taking screenshots or whatever, to get evidence to give to Verizon that this crap is not an issue on my end...that they're either throttling my connection or doing something like that to force me to use my slower, wireless connection? Or advice on how to handle this with Verizon or what to say to Verizon to basically tell them "I know my connection and setup is fine...it's not an issue on my end, but yours and someone needs to come out here and look at it". I hesitate to just say that, because knowing my luck, when an appointment/time is setup for someone to visit, the connection will be back and they'll charge me some ridiculous fee for coming out.

Sorry for rambling, thanks for reading and I appreciate any advice.

• DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    Is the router provided by Verizon? It seems like it would either be a problem with your computer, the wired cable/connectors themselves, or the router. Beyond the router on Verizon's network your traffic doesn't look any different if you're wired or wireless, so it's wouldn't be a problem past the router.

That is assuming your wired and wireless connections are using the same internet account. If your wireless connection is actually through like a mobile wireless plan or something then it's completely possible it could be a problem with the wired account.

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Unidentified network generally means that the adapter is unable to acquire an IP address, doesn't it?

Sounds like when the IP lease expires, either the adapter isn't asking for a new one, or the router isn't responding to the request for a long time.

If the router is 3rd party, try a different one, or bypassing it.

• Conroy BumpasConroy Bumpas Registered User regular
    sorry for bad spelling

bit of a long shot but this happend to me. i lived in a house that the owner had wired up so there was network sockets in everyroom. radomly it wouldnt work. etc etc spent days messing with coputers and routers. in the end it turned out that he had wired the sockets wrong. doing one end the correct way and the other end the old way. and i couldnt tell this without takeing asocket off the wall

id also check your cable. you never know it may have got a beak in it and causeing a loose connection

or have a cross over cable or something

Please note I cannot be held responsible for any mental, physical, emotional, spiritual, karma, dharma, metaphysical, religious, philosophical, Logical , Ethical, Aesthetical, or financial damage caused by this post
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Is your router still within the Verizon warranty period? If so, they will ship you a new one for free.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • PantshandshakePantshandshake Registered User regular
    I had a similar problem, I made the cable company send a tech out. The lines that run into my house go underground, and at some point during regular settling of the earth, it made the cable wire coming into my basement pull of the insulated sheath. The tech just trimmed the edge and recapped the coax, and things have been fine ever since.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I had a similar problem, I made the cable company send a tech out. The lines that run into my house go underground, and at some point during regular settling of the earth, it made the cable wire coming into my basement pull of the insulated sheath. The tech just trimmed the edge and recapped the coax, and things have been fine ever since.

But if that were the case, then the wireless wouldn't work, either.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • VisskarVisskar Registered User regular
    I ran into a similar issue on my computer after I had to wipe it a couple months ago. This is a fix I found that resolved the issue for me, running Win 7.

In the start menu, run msconfig. Go to the Services tab. Uncheck the line for ##Id_String1.6844f930_1628_4223_b5cc_5bb94b879762## Apple Computer, INC .

Haven't had an issue with Unidentified Network since I did this.

steam_sig.png
  • LanchesterLanchester Registered User regular
    Sorry I haven't replied back in a while...on Saturday, I noticed my download speeds were much quicker, and wouldn't you know it, my wired connection was back to working. I'm starting to log when this starts and stops to see if it's in a predictable cycle. This is what makes it so frustrating, because if I would have asked for a tech to come out, two days later it was resolved and the tech would've thought I'm an idiot.

I've thought the problem is the router, but the wireless working throws me off. At least I know it's not the cables because I spent a whole day checking and validating them (plus, now it's working and I haven't done anything different). The router is provided by Verizon. I'm not sure if it's still under the warranty period, so I'll look into that. It's just so odd that it stops for a week or two, then works fine. And I'll keep this bookmarked so I can try the msconfig tip the next time it happens because I do run Win 7.

When in doubt...it's all a conspiracy. Thanks again for all the advice