As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You've been down too long in the Sunless Sea

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Librarian wrote: »
    So it would make sense to put a pricy engine into the starting ship? A better ship seems so far away moneywise.
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Getting a stronger engine in the first ship is a total waste.

You'll more than double your fuel consumption, and save supplies that your small crew wasn't really going through very quickly in the first place, and terror which is preposterously easy to get rid of once you get a house and family.

Yeah, if you want to be a monster hunter, get the cutter... the first one with a forward gun slot. It's not THAT expensive. Do the Venderbight tour and save up a little and you should be close. THEN buy a forward gun (I suggest the "Majesty" as a good economy option) and a better engine.

You should not be fighting stuff larger than ~75 HP with the starter boat.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Except for pirates.

I've found that I can pretty easily stay right behind most of the other ships I fight and they never really manage to get turned to fire on me, so I just sit and whittle away at them.

Really what I want to do is work out how to get the ship from Venderbight for a free ship upgrade, then work out how to get the weird engine that the London shop will buy from you but not sell to you, I feel like if I could get those things done I'd be succeeding pretty hard.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Finishing the quest to get that ship takes so long and you will get so much money doing it that just finishing it will allow you to buy a far better ship.

• Options
    By the time I was able to get the Steam Yacht from Venderbight, I was ready to end the game. It would be only worth getting if acquiring the deed carried over to your next game, upgrading the base ship (I have no idea if it does, I got the mascot reward instead).

As for the special upgraded engines, they're quest rewards for following up on your officers' quests.

Right now I am working on buying the Frigate for $15K. That'll be sweet.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    That's what I'm sailing around in now, it's a little onerous to keep up with the fuel and supply requirements.

• Options
    LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascism Registered User regular
    I just got the Memento Mori, time to save up for a better ship with a Forward slot.

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    for fucks sake. I just sailed round the Dawn Machine for a giggle, leaving me on 75 terror and chucking me back to the Geode. This is of course no trouble at all, only then I foolishly went to speak to the commodore and gained 25 terror, leading to instant mutiny and death.

Ah well, had a will and a scion so at least have 5000 echo to start off with. I had 4 shiny bastard treasures that I'd been contemplating leaving as heirlooms but decided to save until I needed them to buy a ship. Buggeration.

Prolegomena on
  • Options
    for fucks sake. I just sailed round the Dawn Machine for a giggle, leaving me on 75 terror and chucking me back to the Geode. This is of course no trouble at all, only then I foolishly went to speak to the commodore and gained 25 terror, leading to instant mutiny and death.

Ah well, had a will and a scion so at least have 5000 echo to start off with. I had 4 shiny bastard treasures that I'd been contemplating leaving as heirlooms but decided to save until I needed them to buy a ship. Buggeration.

I always get Heirlooms first. Once you have 12 and are set for your next run, I can do whatever I want with my Captivating Treasures.

• Options
    Yes that plan occurred to me just as the sailors plunged in their knives.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I thought the dawn machine was purely decorative

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I thought the dawn machine was purely decorative
    not if you sail past it and west off the edge of the map

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    I should have know the sphinxstone quest was too good to be true, my sixth captain is the first to get a kid, just paid off the house, started work on turning the kid into a scion and then the dawn machine lady happens. Decided to turn her down and now my only apparent alternative needs two more veils (75).

I don't want to just dump the load overboard, but the closest places to get fragments or secrets are already discovered.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    Yes that plan occurred to me just as the sailors plunged in their knives.

Before they began tossing my treasures in the air and gleefully contemplating selling my precious, holy mountain-sherds.

• Options
    Oh lords...

I just barely scraped by. I'd inherited a Memento Mori, and I figured I'd swing by the Grand Geode to sell it off for an Element of Dawn. Figured that this would save me a trip later, and I was about to get my Cannoneer to make another Memento Mori.

Doing this apparently killed three of my zailors and cranked my Terror to 90. I was down to 4 crew and 1 fuel, and barely puttered over to the Iron Republic. Oh, and a Republic Dreadnought decided to use me for target practice before I squeezed in to port. 2 crew and 9 Hull left. Also forgot that the Iron Republic wasn't the last stop on the Cannoneer's quest, so I was still down a front gun. Bought fuel enough to just run with my light on, and slipped past the Dreadnought and the Unfinished Revolutionaries.

Terror hit 100 when I got to the Cumean Canal. Realized that this was my last chance. My very, last, chance, and bought enough fuel to make the run to the surface. This reduced my terror by 25 and took me out of the woods. Huh, so, all's well that ends well, right? I figured I'd load my mirrorcatch boxes and take a trip to Naples while I was up there.

Lost one crew member to the cruel, cruel daystar on the way to Naples. One crew left. Turned right around, cruised back to the Unterzee, and limped to London with 9 hull, 80 Terror, and 1 crew member.

And THAT, my friends, is why you don't take silly risks to "save you a trip later."

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Hey I know I'll just play a quick game while I wait for stuff to download.

Something like 4 hours later this is my most successful run to date. I've got an orphan kid, a house, a will, my first not-default ship even!

It's madness, I tell you! MADNESS!

Edit: The game crashed at some point, so that run should still be ongoing assuming the autosave worked.

I'm kind of too scared to look.

Fyndir on
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Finally got rid of my load of sphinxstone, for double the old price, even.

Got myself an ironclad will and even an heirloom, then headed out to zee to explore and do battle and shit.

Halfway past the salt lions, I realised I forgot to fix my hull, currently sitting at 28/75.

Whoops, time to head back and hopefully not get murdered!

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    And now my child has gone to zee.

*sniff*

They grow up so fast.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    I dunno i've got a eyeless skull companion and i'm sure it either hangs out in a drawer or on my dresser

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    I just got dragged into a war between rats with guns and chivalrous, religious-zealot guinea pigs...?
    Sided with the rats. They had the guns. Also, the guinea pigs were kinda crazy, even though they were living there first.

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    pardzh wrote: »
    I just got dragged into a war between rats with guns and chivalrous, religious-zealot guinea pigs...?
    Sided with the rats. They had the guns. Also, the guinea pigs were kinda crazy, even though they were living there first.

That choice is, like, the hardest in the game when you first get to it. I usually go for the rats...
    they can repair your boat.

At least, it's the hardest choice until you get to the part where you can betray them at the end...
    and get the best combat item in the game.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    put me on the list of people who find selling souls less horrifying than trading red honey.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular

That choice is, like, the hardest in the game when you first get to it. I usually go for the rats...

At least, it's the hardest choice until you get to the part where you can betray them at the end...
    What item is that?

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »

What item is that?
    Blue Scintillack. When you use it it instantly gives all your guns a firing solution. It is crazy strong. You don;t get the option to steal it if you only give them supplies though, gotta put in work.

• Options
    Oh! I got that elsewhere... Can't remember where, though.

• Options
    You can get it a few ways. That's just the fastest and most reliable.

Like, my current game I am almost ready to get the Impeller and have finished probably half of the island storylines, but I still haven't seen that item after deciding not to steal it from the rats.

There's also the minor issue that it has a very important quest usage.
    Blue Scintillack is the only item I've found for the First Curator's "A" Neathbow requirement; the Curator is one of the ways you can finish My Father's Bones.

• Options
    You can get it a few ways. That's just the fastest and most reliable.

Like, my current game I am almost ready to get the Impeller and have finished probably half of the island storylines, but I still haven't seen that item after deciding not to steal it from the rats.

There's also the minor issue that it has a very important quest usage.
    Blue Scintillack is the only item I've found for the First Curator's "A" Neathbow requirement; the Curator is one of the ways you can finish My Father's Bones.
    you can also use an apocyan chess piece.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Boo, they corrected the values for Reproach and Denunciation. Finally crafted Zong of the Zee! Just the Aestival ending to get, as well as crafting the Impeller and exploring Savior's Rocks.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Shen wrote: »
    Boo, they corrected the values for Reproach and Denunciation. Finally crafted Zong of the Zee! Just the Aestival ending to get, as well as crafting the Impeller and exploring Savior's Rocks.

If you start with the Zong of the Zee ambition, does writing it instantly end the game? I started with that ambition, and am very close to finishing it, but I kinda want to hijack the zeppelin...

• Options
    You can actually equip the Zong of the Zee as an item so I suspect not.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular

If you start with the Zong of the Zee ambition, does writing it instantly end the game? I started with that ambition, and am very close to finishing it, but I kinda want to hijack the zeppelin...

It doesn't, but I don't think it counts as succeeding unless you retire with it.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options

It doesn't, but I don't think it counts as succeeding unless you retire with it.

Okay, it ended my game the moment I buried Dad's bones, so I wanted to make sure.

• Options
    So, I'm a a slow point, basically just shipping goods to get money for a better ship and gear. The sapphire shipping between Port Carnelian and the Chelonate appears to be capable of an infinite profit of 13 echoes a unit, I just need to gage the distance there and back in fuel/supply cost.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Oh yeah.

I was having troubles with the Revenue Men in London while I was running Red Honey to the Brass Embassy (399 echo profit each). Stopped being a problem after HE SUN THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN T, I mean I got Dawn Machine superiority.
    I do kinda miss the Dark-Spectacled Admiral, though.

Also I think, to build up money for my next character, I'm just going to run coffee to the surface.
    Vienna buys it for 80, so a 60% profit if I buy it from London... more if I find cheaper Unterzee outlets. The overhead on surface trips runs at about 300 echoes, so I'll need loads of over 10 to start making profit. Hmm, better grab some mirror boxes, too.

• Options
    Welp, I still had that unstamped crate of souls from the very first mission the Bruiser gives you, and I went to London and had the port authority arrive. I absent-mindedly clicked the one to just declare all stuff, and now my unstamped box is a regular box.

Does this fuck up the mission? Will the Brusier get mad the next time I arrive in London?

• Options
    Oh yeah.

I was having troubles with the Revenue Men in London while I was running Red Honey to the Brass Embassy (399 echo profit each). Stopped being a problem after HE SUN THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN T, I mean I got Dawn Machine superiority.

Also I think, to build up money for my next character, I'm just going to run coffee to the surface.
    Vienna buys it for 80, so a 60% profit if I buy it from London... more if I find cheaper Unterzee outlets. The overhead on surface trips runs at about 300 echoes, so I'll need loads of over 10 to start making profit. Hmm, better grab some mirror boxes, too.

About the coffee...
    It, much like the Sphinxstone, only lasts so long. After a certain amount of shipments the guy will... Stop buying it.

• Options
    Oh yeah.

About the coffee...
    It, much like the Sphinxstone, only lasts so long. After a certain amount of shipments the guy will... Stop buying it.
    Well, that captain didn't get that far before she got bored, threw London into anarchy, and stole the zeppelin, never to be heard from again. That'll teach her husband for leaving her!

Oh, and apparently crushing Superiority: London doesn't get rid of the Revenue Men. I just had a lucky run of not running into them. Figures.

• Options
    Well, I misclicked and accidentally sold my soul to a monkey.

The cheapest monkey, at that.

(I wasn't paying full attention while buying supplies, the option right under it)

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Well, I misclicked and accidentally sold my soul to a monkey.

The cheapest monkey, at that.

(I wasn't paying full attention while buying supplies, the option right under it)

Selling your soul seems like one of the least bad things that can happen to you in this world.

I have only been Unaccountably Peckish once*, but it wasn't too bad... though I've gotten too good at this game and never run out of food anymore. Going to try and get it ASAP in this next run, so I can
    eat the Sigil-Ridden Navagator as punishment for his crimes.

The Church of Lights is so obviously cannibal central; my first few runs I spent as little time there as possible.