As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Indie Games: They're like video games, but smaller!

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    getting lifted on that moly

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    getting lifted on that moly

No, silly! That's "molly".

This is the molybdenum fan club.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I got my wires crossed and thought you were talking about rehabilitating Moly for a moment, with others saying that while rehabilitation is preferred it is not guaranteed. At least locking him up sends a message to others that this kind of behavior is not tolerated.

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Why is everyone saying moly so much

we're big into molygamy

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    That 'your deaths light up the level for other players' game idea sounds pretty cool. Imagine a pitch black (or very dark) Super Meat Boy style game.

A possible method of avoiding levels becoming too lit up would be to have daily procedurally generated levels. So people could share the same levels but they'd be refreshed often enough that the light wouldn't build up enough to make it too easy.

Or, maybe there are hidden items in the level that allow you to pick up dead players' glowy things for points or something.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    imagine a dark souls game with light-up deaths and you turn the corner and meet a fully-illuminated enemy

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    If a player dies in a dungeon their lootable body shows up in another player's world at that spot

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Molybdenum

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    imagine a dark souls game with light-up deaths and you turn the corner and meet a fully-illuminated enemy

Praise the sun!

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »

Speaking of which, what the hell happened to the Witness? Wasn't it due out last Summer?

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    They just showed it off a few weeks ago at the PlayStation event in Vegas

• Options
    Ex-rare guys are making a new 3D Platformer
    Why hello there!

If you’ve made it this far towards our fine internet abode, then you’ve probably worked out that we’re a new game developer, formed by some blokes who did those games you may or may not have liked as a nipper.

However, if you’ve stumbled here by accident in search of non-sexual relationship advice, allow us to explain what on Earth is going on…

Playtonic’s the name, and fun games, unique characters and absolutely-frickin-amazing worlds to explore are our game. Or at least they will be, once we eventually get around to releasing our first project instead of faffing around on WordPress.

Ahem. Currently we’re a sextet of artists, programmers and designers – sort of like The Pussycat Dolls with computer science degress – with one thing in common; we were all once core member of famous UK studio Rare, where we helmed franchises such as Banjo-Kazooie, Donkey Kong Country and Viva Piñata.

We’ve got the bloke who programmed Donkey Kong Country, the character designer behind Banjo and Kazooie, and the artist who made your console fit to burst with lavish environments across a decade’s worth of adventure games.

Together, our all-star ensemble is aiming to build its debut game, ‘Project Ukulele’, into a worthy spiritual successor to those fondly remembered platforming adventures we built in the past.

By now, you might be thinking, ‘hold on mate, didn’t you make similar claims after drinking too many shandies in the pub in 2012, you muppet?’ Perhaps. But this time it’s real! We’re making a real, proper, actual game. Look: we even managed to trick convince Edge magazine to do us some pages!

You can read all about our venture and see the first artwork for our game in Edge issue 277, which is on sale from February 12.

So what’s next? Well first of all you need to know that our journey is at an early stage – we’ve barely left the Shire and Sean Bean’s still an alright guy.

Over the coming months we’ll reveal more about our project and future growth plans, and we very much intend to get you involved and listen to your views on our game’s direction. You’ll ultimately shape the destination of our project and we plan to continue exchanging sweet glances across cyberspace at you until we get there.

So go on then – follow us on Twitter, slap your thumbs up on our Facebook and sign up for updates. ‘ Cos it’s time to get this wagon rolling…

Hmm, alright that sounds good. Maybe I'll go check out their websiOH DEAR GOD.
    http://www.playtonicgames.com/index.html

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

I don't get it. What's wrong with the website?

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    3D platforming may have been the quickest I've ever tired of a genre

Mario 64 is one of the best and most important games of all time

And then every other 3d platformer seemed like the only way it could figure out how to up the ante is by giving you more macguffins and tchotchkes to collect

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

It has a really messy layout and the font choice for the text boxes at the top of the page are ugly as hell.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    @JohnHam @Stilts You guys wanna play endless legend tonight

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

It has a really messy layout and the font choice for the text boxes at the top of the page are ugly as hell.

Well, yeah, they're trying to recapture their mid-nineties glory days.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    If a player dies in a dungeon their lootable body shows up in another player's world at that spot

didn't ZombiU do this?

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options

didn't ZombiU do this?

If you died, your previous player would appear in your own game as a zombie and you could potentially kill it and take its stuff.

ZombiU is probably one of Ubisoft's most original games in years.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I am extremely on board with using the word "muppet" as a derogative

• Options

didn't ZombiU do this?

If you died, your previous player would appear in your own game as a zombie and you could potentially kill it and take its stuff.

ZombiU is probably one of Ubisoft's most original games in years.

No it could show up in your friends' list players' games too.

• Options

That is incredibly unfair to muppets. I'm not even joking here, the Muppets are great and do not deserve such slander.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    edited February 2015

That is incredibly unfair to muppets. I'm not even joking here, the Muppets are great and do not deserve such slander.

Muppets are awesome. Calling someone a muppet is like asking them to marry you and also to have all your money.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Nope I am more than willing to fall into lockstep with the legions who use the word muppet to mean a terrible idiot

• Options
    "Puppet" I get--the implication being that the person has nothing substantial as an individual and is only worth anything as a front for someone else who is speaking and acting through them--but why specifically "muppet" which is a term for a particular type of puppet renowned for being entertaining and inclusive, and rather universally beloved?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Well, it's not a quite a mop, and it's not quite a puppet, but MAN...

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    So to answer your question, I don't know.

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I think it's because the word muppet is somehow an onomatopoeia for "terrible idiot"

• Options
    You're trying to make me upset aren't you

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Don't make this personal

• Options
    Don't make this personal be such a Muppet

I mean, come on, low-hanging fruit.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I feel like properly capitalising the word takes a lot of the sting out

• Options
    Hmm, you're right. The weird thing is, I didn't even do that intentionally. It just sort of happened.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    "Puppet" I get--the implication being that the person has nothing substantial as an individual and is only worth anything as a front for someone else who is speaking and acting through them--but why specifically "muppet" which is a term for a particular type of puppet renowned for being entertaining and inclusive, and rather universally beloved?

The word muppet is funnier than puppet.

It's a funny word, simple as that.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    pvp20081210.gif

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Animal was a good drummer

Actually, the whole band was good

• Options
    Animal was probably the best drummer possible, anywhere ever

• Options
    BertezBertezBertezBertez Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    That 'your deaths light up the level for other players' game idea sounds pretty cool. Imagine a pitch black (or very dark) Super Meat Boy style game.

A possible method of avoiding levels becoming too lit up would be to have daily procedurally generated levels. So people could share the same levels but they'd be refreshed often enough that the light wouldn't build up enough to make it too easy.

Or, maybe there are hidden items in the level that allow you to pick up dead players' glowy things for points or something.

Oooo maybe for every day that someone completes the level the community as a whole gains xp, and at the end of every week the community votes on where to place those stats or whether to use that xp to by perks, and these upgrades are applied to all players

Man, I would love to make something like that if I could.

...but I would say that

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

Oooo maybe for every day that someone completes the level the community as a whole gains xp, and at the end of every week the community votes on where to place those stats or whether to use that xp to by perks, and these upgrades are applied to all players

Man, I would love to make something like that if I could.

And then Reddit gets ahold of it and makes a terrible character.

X22wmuF.jpg
This discussion has been closed.