As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The I'm Not Even Supposed To Be Here Today [job] Thread

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Someone brought in Smash. Fun to watch, but if I work for another 15 minutes, I can go home. Decisions decisions...

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    re: NZ fibre, I checked the UFB rollout map again the other week, and I'm finally on the schedule!

...In the second half of 2019.

Oh well, at least I can consider whether I want to upgrade my router now or not.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Ugh my friday night buzz just got harshed in the worst way. I checked my work email (never do this).

So I've been trying to get in touch with this IP advisor for the last two weeks, via a contact from a local government organisation. He eventually tells her he'll call us some time.

We had a barrage of phone calls this afternoon, as we do every day, most of which were nonsense, and in the middle was some guy who says "Hi, it's David from (a completely different organization), I'm supposed to call Nicholas?"

I'm like "There's no Nicholas here but this is (my name, which is close to nicholas but not), can I help you ..."
    and he says "Oh Nic, sorry. Right, what can I help you with?"
    And I said "You called me ..."

and instead of saying "You wanted some IP consulting and I'm the IP expert" he says something like "Yes, I had a message to call you." And I'm like "I didn't leave a message like that with anyone," (because I didn't). And he says "Oh there must be some confusion somewhere, sorry" and hangs up and I'm like ok whatever that was weird

and THEN like two hours later I get an email with "I tried to call but there was some confusion" and now I'm like WELL WHY DIDN'T YOU FUCKING SAY WHO YOU WERE. You have an extremely dull and forgettable name and I'm not a mind-wizard who can magically put 1 and 2 together and come up with 7.

and now I'm pissed off because I feel like I dropped the ball and won't be able to pick it up until Monday. Which is a day with at least eighteen things to do already.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    @Sassori I had another idea. What's your budget and timeline like?
    (Ya gotta like any revenge plan that has a timeline and a budget)
    Order as many of these as you can afford, and fill up his desk. And car, and locker, and bag, and whatever else you can manage to get your hands on.

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    today a coworker and I were mock fighting and we got in each other's faces and had a staredown and she turns her cheek and says "kissy" and I peck her on the cheek
    she and I start laughing
    now it meant nothing
    but thinking about it, I can only imagine how fucking weird that looked to everyone else
    and actually I'm now worried my service manager saw and we're going to get a stern talking to about professional behavior while we are still technically open
    and she'd probably be justified in doing that

Tam on
  • Options
    someone reassure me that missing this phone call is not a big deal and we can work it out next week.

Missing phone calls is like, my super number-one anxiety whatsit. Well actually missing meetings-in-person is number 1, but missing phone calls is a solid second place.

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    it's totally fine Nic
    it'll all work out

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    tynic wrote: »

and now I'm pissed off because I feel like I dropped the ball and won't be able to pick it up until Monday. Which is a day with at least eighteen things to do already.

You didn't.
    He's a bit of a douche.
    Enjoy your weekend.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I accidentally left my phone at work last night .. so the lady who sits beside me and for some reason goes to work suuuuper early had to deal with all my wake-up alarms that play death metal at 6am. After snoozing it a few times, she finally just shut the whole phone off.

Also before I left today, my manager told me I'm getting a bonus in my next paycheck for "almost exceeding expectations" - which sounded a little confusing to me, but it's still a good thing!

Gizzy on
    Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    someone reassure me that missing this phone call is not a big deal and we can work it out next week.

Missing phone calls is like, my super number-one anxiety whatsit. Well actually missing meetings-in-person is number 1, but missing phone calls is a solid second place.

You'll talk to him on Monday and both have a jolly ol' laugh about it.

And on the tiny chance it all goes to shit, there's bugger all you can do about it until Monday, so just enjoy your weekend.

broken image link
  • Options
    well I mean it's not going to go to shit, I don't think he'll take the huff
    it's just an unnecessary delay. It took me fucking ages to make him get in touch with me and then whoops now we have to start over.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    well I mean it's not going to go to shit, I don't think he'll take the huff
    it's just an unnecessary delay. It took me fucking ages to make him get in touch with me and then whoops now we have to start over.

Hey

Hey

It's not your fault that he's an unprofessional shitwizard, it's gonna be fine

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Well just imagine how awkward he must feel, first calling you Nicholas, then asking how he could help you when he's the one that called, then forgetting to say why he called.

Are you sure he wasn't called Ronnie?

broken image link
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    @Sassori I had another idea. What's your budget and timeline like?
    (Ya gotta like any revenge plan that has a timeline and a budget)
    Order as many of these as you can afford, and fill up his desk. And car, and locker, and bag, and whatever else you can manage to get your hands on.

Haha I can't fill up his car but I'm tempted to get a couple packs.

I was also thinking of making pokeball cookies.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Nic, to echo all of the other folks here, I had a brief stint cold-calling leads when I worked IT sales back in the day and 'David' wasn't prepared to even adjust to ask for information about the contact he was supposed to help. That shit is unprofessional as hell on top of him not being prepared to divulge his stated purpose for the call.

You were absolutely correct in handling it the way you did: you were crazy busy and he wasn't prepared to discuss business, period, full stop.

If anything, you have the upper-hand in any future dealings with that company in general and the individual in particular; if the person on the other end of the line isn't willing or able to ask the pertinent information of their own team, then they may not be the right fit for your needs.

Why do I feel dirty all of the sudden?

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    It is now against policy to refer to trainees as "trainee". So many names to learn.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    It is now against policy to refer to trainees as "trainee". So many names to learn.

Can you still use Minion?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    How about "hey, you"?

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2015

Is it against the rules to just say "Hey!" and then snapping your fingers while pointing at the person?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I prefer newbie.

sig.gif
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Going to use all of these on Monday.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    For the record, I find the whole "pointing and snapping your fingers because you can't remember someone's name" thing super annoying.

But that doesn't mean it's not an option.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    That reminds me: new grad welcome morning tea on Monday.

For the first time ... uh, I think since I started, they're not dumping the new guys on me to have me upskill the newbloods.

This means I get all of the food, and none of the housebreaking responsibility.

...I am okay with this turn of events.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Wendy's totes ruined my end-of-week good-work-friends vibe :x

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I have attained Cold Stone ice cream. Cake Batter with Gummi Bears and Cookie Dough, two Like It sizes for under $4 with coupon.

Trying to resist the urge to go eat the second one.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Sheri wrote: »
    Wendy's totes ruined my end-of-week good-work-friends vibe :x

'Cause they didn't bring you any? They brought you some and you think it's gross?
    I'm not following you here.

• Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    ugh

felt nauseous this morning. said id work from home

threw up 3 times before noon and spent the rest of the day in bed.

was really hoping to not have use pto.

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I am so glad that everybody has a labcoat with their names on it at my job.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    Oh does anyone remember my cute couple who I helped get engaged a year ago, and they dubbed me their "Sheri-Godmother" and such? In January they sent me a little plush Flora and a card. On the anniversary of their engagement I called them to wish happy anniversary and to let them know that "Sheri-Godmother had become a Thing in the office. I hope I get a wedding invite!

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Today I had the privilege of explaining the Saga of the Desu Brigade to some coworkers.

What a time to be alive.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Going to use all of these on Monday.

Reminds me of the Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries tutorial campaign.

"Callsign for this contract: 'Hey, you', 'kid', 'target'"

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    "FNG" is another one you could use.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    vermiculturevermiculture Registered User regular
    i've been sorta forced into becoming a gorilla keeper full time- which is great because i love the gorillas- but it sucks because i won't get gifts from my orangutan girlfriend anymore due to my drastically reduced face time with her. the gorillas, they aren't known for their giving attitude.

steam id: vermiculture
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Well just imagine how awkward he must feel, first calling you Nicholas, then asking how he could help you when he's the one that called, then forgetting to say why he called.

Are you sure he wasn't called Ronnie?

Ha ha, I saw Ronnie was playing my favourite game on Steam the other day, so I messaged him a joke referring to the game.

He logged off Steam immediately.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Somebody at work used a local cab company to come in tonight, and left the cabbie's card lying around.

A cabbie named Jet Mage.

I don't even.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options

"You, Sharkbait, go help Fucknut pull his head out of his ass. And you, Snowflake! Stop texting your parents about how hard the job is when they aren't here to warm you up some hot cocoa! You're worse than Tenderfoot over there with his constant whining about sleep deprivation!"

"Lord Thelonius, I ... "

"Jesus, Joseph and Doggy-Style Mary! Who told you that you had permission to speak, Assclown?"

"You told me to tell you when my bladder was about to burst and now it's too late."

"Then you're speaking out of turn, Assclown, so do you think you need to find a mop and a bucket or do you need to wax poetic about the pee-pee running down your leg?"

Feel free to contact me about any licensing fees associated with the use of these titles.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    MadEddy wrote: »
    How about "hey, you"?

get off of my cloud.

• Options
    Liiya wrote: »
    MadEddy wrote: »
    How about "hey, you"?

get off of my cloud.

Magnificent.