As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Thread About Interesting Facts For Interested Individuals

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Still reading the article, number 1 is crazy.
    Vision works by detecting light bouncing off of an object. Photography works the same way. So when we say that a researcher set out to take a picture using light that never, ever touched the object they were photographing, we're talking about what should be a form of black magic. That brings us to Dr. Gabriela Barreto Lemos, who's harnessed the power of quantum mechanics to take the most impossible picture ever.

As a quick reminder: Quantum mechanics is the branch of physics that somehow makes less sense the more you learn about it. It's the home of Schrodinger's famous cat -- you know, the one that's both alive and dead at the same time as long as you never open the box it's in, making it simultaneously the worst and best Christmas present ever.

Now, for Dr. Lemos' experiment, her team decided to take a picture of a cardboard cutout of a cat using light that had never actually touched the object. How? With quantum-entangled photons. Simply put, quantum entanglement is the process of splitting photons into twins, which maintain a mysterious bond with one another even when separated. If you affect one twin, it instantly affects the other, sort of like with Tomax and Xamot from G.I. Joe.

So to take a picture using entanglement, Lemos's team used lasers and crystals to create some entangled photons. Out of each entangled pair, one twin was sent toward the cardboard cat and then discarded. But the remaining twin carried information about the first, and analyzing those lonely photons (which, we can't stress enough, never ever came into contact with the cat) revealed the hauntingly perfect cat apparitions originally captured by their dead twin:
    BwLT17gIgAAXkZu.jpg

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Vision works by detecting light bouncing off of an object. Photography works the same way. So when we say that a researcher set out to take a picture using light that never, ever touched the object they were photographing, we're talking about what should be a form of black magic. That brings us to Dr. Gabriela Barreto Lemos, who's harnessed the power of quantum mechanics to take the most impossible picture ever.

As a quick reminder: Quantum mechanics is the branch of physics that somehow makes less sense the more you learn about it. It's the home of Schrodinger's famous cat -- you know, the one that's both alive and dead at the same time as long as you never open the box it's in, making it simultaneously the worst and best Christmas present ever.

Now, for Dr. Lemos' experiment, her team decided to take a picture of a cardboard cutout of a cat using light that had never actually touched the object. How? With quantum-entangled photons. Simply put, quantum entanglement is the process of splitting photons into twins, which maintain a mysterious bond with one another even when separated. If you affect one twin, it instantly affects the other, sort of like with Tomax and Xamot from G.I. Joe.

So to take a picture using entanglement, Lemos's team used lasers and crystals to create some entangled photons. Out of each entangled pair, one twin was sent toward the cardboard cat and then discarded. But the remaining twin carried information about the first, and analyzing those lonely photons (which, we can't stress enough, never ever came into contact with the cat) revealed the hauntingly perfect cat apparitions originally captured by their dead twin:
    BwLT17gIgAAXkZu.jpg

Quantum entanglement is nuuuts.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    If we sent both viruses through a transporter at the same time as a mosquito we'd all be done for.

Nah, the mosquito-sized viruses would be completely unable to bind to our DNA/RNA and the virus-sized mosquito would starve to death.

Hmm. Would it be viable to attempt to eliminate a virus by increasing its size then?

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Gung-ho Cowboy Bravery Day of Note: John C. Frémont was court-martialed for mutiny and disobeying orders on this date in 1848. (actually, yesterday)
    Sarah Vowell for This American Life:
    So Charles Preuss was one of the most important, influential, and talented cartographers of his generation. Problem was, this excellent mapmaker just so happened to loathe pretty much every minute of actual exploring. Preuss's diaries from his three trips out West with Fremont seethe with manly, gung-ho cowboy bravery like—

"I wish I were at the market with a shopping basket."
    Or, mulling over the roasting mule meat that is to be his dinner.

What a treat it would be with a bottle of wine. But stop, that thought is too beautiful. (excerpt)

This American Life Segment

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    If we sent both viruses through a transporter at the same time as a mosquito we'd all be done for.

Nah, the mosquito-sized viruses would be completely unable to bind to our DNA/RNA and the virus-sized mosquito would starve to death.

Hmm. Would it be viable to attempt to eliminate a virus by increasing its size then?

no because there's no magic size-changing device

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

no because there's no magic size-changing device

heh

• Options
    except for my diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    do they have a need for anti-quadrotor drone techniques?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

BwLT17gIgAAXkZu.jpg

Wait! I Got this one!

10wzcxga1lt5.png

Bamn! Solved!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

They probably don't want drone hovering around during sports events and the like, any ban also needs a means to enforce it

There are few safe ways of dealing with a drone

If I remember correctly, there was a high-profile incident in Europe recently where a skier got injured by crashing into a drone which came too close

Platy on
  • Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016

They probably don't want drone hovering around during sports events and the like, any ban also needs a means to enforce it

If I remember correctly, there was a high-profile incident in Europe recently where a skier got injured by crashing into a drone which came too close

Prisons. There's a very big problem with drones smuggling contraband into prisons. Also, think of military black project sites like Area 51, which is an experimental aircraft testing ground. A drone could fly overhead and take pictures and there'd be very little anyone could do to stop it. Aside from training a large bird of prey to smash into the thing, I guess.

Captain Marcus on
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular

@BugBoy why did you lovely day this

Are you

Are you working for the drones?

You'd tell me if you were, right?

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    I am myself a drone
    Spot the entomological joke and win a priiiiiiize
    the prize is my appreciation

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    BugBoy wrote: »
    I am myself a drone

Holy carp I'm appricated?

Yaaaaa!

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Wasn't there a thing about some organized crime using drones to deliver drugs in some Asian country?

And the police response was using a drone with a net to catch those drones, which worked, until the criminals started using drones with larger nets to capture the police drones so their drug drones could deliver freely

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    begun, the drone wars have

Al_wat on
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    I am myself a drone

The second I saw the post I knew what the joke was

Didn't even need to click a spoiler

• Options
    I am myself a drone

Well, yeah, you're a male of the species.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I think bee drones and worker ants are actually sterile females

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2016

All I know are bees where they're definitely males.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular

Bagel's right on the former, but you're correct on the latter

At least, I'm pretty sure they're sterile

Worker egg laying is a thing but I think only in bees

• Options
    #bugfactchecking

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Gung-ho Cowboy Bravery Day of Note: John C. Frémont was court-martialed for mutiny and disobeying orders on this date in 1848. (actually, yesterday)
    Sarah Vowell for This American Life:
    So Charles Preuss was one of the most important, influential, and talented cartographers of his generation. Problem was, this excellent mapmaker just so happened to loathe pretty much every minute of actual exploring. Preuss's diaries from his three trips out West with Fremont seethe with manly, gung-ho cowboy bravery like—

"I wish I were at the market with a shopping basket."
    Or, mulling over the roasting mule meat that is to be his dinner.

What a treat it would be with a bottle of wine. But stop, that thought is too beautiful. (excerpt)

This American Life Segment

No hat, no stick, no pipe, not even a pocket handkerchief. How can one survive?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

I hope those eagles have little leg and foot protectors, the rotors will fuck their legs up something awful otherwise.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular

Thats cool! I always forget that turf has to be farmed, especially for a scale as large as that.

• Options
    669 TONS of sod!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options

Was that just for Liiya, or can I enjoy that article too?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

As Queen, Liiya has the option to enact the right of Prima Readthrough, so you have to wait until she's finished with the article

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options

As Queen, Liiya has the option to enact the right of Prima Readthrough, so you have to wait until she's finished with the article

Harumpf, I say. BRB, gonna go throw some oregano in the creek in protest.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I finished reading the article, you may now read it.

• Options
    :x

...thank you.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    oh ho ho!

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

BwLT17gIgAAXkZu.jpg

the real trick here would be using that technique to determine information about something that wasn't previously known

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »

BwLT17gIgAAXkZu.jpg

the real trick here would be using that technique to determine information about something that wasn't previously known

That's presumably an end goal, but before you can do that, you've gotta develop the tools and that requires using information you do know. One of the problems with quantum mechanics is that to measure a state requires you to interfere with it in a way that can alter the results.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    quantum mechanics are cray-cray

it must be simultaneously the most rewarding and frustrating field to work in

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    All of the math makes sense and lines up. It's just when you start to think about what the math means it gets weird.

So you just concentrate on the math and let everything else sort itself out.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Quantum mechanics suck.

Maybe they can fix your car, maybe they can't. Maybe it'll cost an arm and a leg, maybe it won't. Make up your mind!

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
This discussion has been closed.