As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Camp Comic] Friday, February 13, 2015 - Brian Portrait

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited February 2015 in Camp Weedonwantcha
image[Camp Comic] Friday, February 13, 2015 - Brian Portrait

Brian Portrait

Brian Portrait

http://campcomic.com/comic/181

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    atypicatypic Registered User new member
    A gentle giant :-)

• Options
    ZyxxZyxx Registered User regular
    Looks like he got his nose broken somewhere along the way... I wonder if Brian has always tried to keep his anger in check, or if that was something he started doing after he got to camp?

• Options
    DublinDublin Registered User regular
    You wonderfully captured the gentle sorrow in his eyes.

• Options
    GinormousGinormous Registered User regular
    Perfect. The best one yet!

• Options
    cubbylostboycubbylostboy Registered User regular
    Hmmm... the popular opinion seems to be that Brian is at camp because of something he actually did related to anger issues. Yet looking at Malachi's and Seventeen's reasons for ending up at camp, I wonder if Brian's anger isn't due to being wrongly accused of something and sent to camp? Perhaps his anger issues started once he got to camp. Like the others, his portrait is awesome, although a part of me wishes he was smiling, since I have a feeling he doesn't do that a lot.

• Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Tyrion Lannister?

• Options
    Mr Fish 86Mr Fish 86 Registered User regular
    I always felt that Brian chose to come to the camp. My guess is that he did something that he regrets immensely, and came to the camp as a sort of personal atonement. What he could have done I'm not entirely sure. He is such a gentle giant, that I imagine he saw someone he cared for get hurt, went berserk and hurt the attacker to an extreme degree. Now the only way I see him running from this is if Brian totally misunderstood the situation (like two kids playing some kind of weird game, and Brian thinks his buddy is in actual danger, so he attempts to rectify things) only to have his buddy get real angry at Brian for hurting his/her friend.

I know that's kind of confusing to follow without actual character names, but I kind of feel that's general idea of what we'll get for Brian's back story. This sort of fits with his constant meditative state, lack of talking, deep caring for seventeen (possible replacement for his past buddy), and even explains his anger outbursts. He seems to only get REALLY angry when his friends are in danger or are hurt (seventeen getting bit by that beetle, and Purdy trying to shoot an injured animal in his arms).

Brian is my favorite character in the series, so I'm very excited to see where he came from, and why he's at the camp. CAN'T WAIT!

• Options
    Peter RoganPeter Rogan Registered User regular
    I look at Brian and I see a face on which any story could be written -- tragic, horrific, pathetic, or simply inconsequential. It's not possible to tell if he's hiding his pain, living with it, or simply hasn't come to feel it yet. Or if there's any pain at all that he needs to hide, feel, or deal with. He is a perfect cypher, unknowable, inexpressive, whose every action could speak volumes to what he's been through. Or not. We simply cannot know.

• Options
    Peter RoganPeter Rogan Registered User regular
    I look at Brian and I see a face on which any story could be written -- tragic, horrific, pathetic, or simply inconsequential. It's not possible to tell if he's hiding his pain, living with it, or simply hasn't come to feel it yet. Or if there's any pain at all that he needs to hide, feel, or deal with. He is a perfect cypher, unknowable, inexpressive, whose every action could speak volumes to what he's been through. Or not. We simply cannot know.

• Options
    Talyn RahlTalyn Rahl Registered User regular
    Love Brian so much. And not just because I see WAY too much of myself in him.

• Options
    LieutenantDanLieutenantDan Registered User regular
    Love it. Comradebot - Good call!!

• Options
    FellowFellow Registered User regular
    The other two portraits weren't to my taste, but I think this one is pretty neat.

• Options
    PharylonPharylon Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I really like this one. The other two were kind of "meh" to me. The big eyes just looked creepy in the more realistic style. But this one is very good.

Pharylon on
  • Options
    PAX_SkeletorPAX_Skeletor Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Even the caption is perfect. "..."

• Options
    TuckinatorTuckinator Registered User new member
    These poses/style reminded me of the Gorillaz. There was noodle, 2d, and here's russel. Find these kids a murdoc and put them in halloween costumes!

• Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    Another possible backstory for Brian: He grew up in an abusive household, and one day his anger snapped and he beat down the abusive parent. Most likely when the parent starts hitting a younger sibling. The parent then forced the spouse to get rid of him. Cue arrival at camp.

• Options
    AlernetAlernet Registered User regular
    It'd be funny if this is how the campers looked on Milk Cartons and stuff.

• Options
    DoctahLurchDoctahLurch Registered User new member
    I am instantly reminded of King Buzzo

• Options
    ZweetZweet Registered User new member
    edited February 2015
    I finally decided to sign up.
    I only wanted to say that I love this comic, I read a lot of webcomics and definitely Camp Weedonwantcha is one of my favorites, from the title (really clever, btw) to each one of the characters.
    It's really cute with some obscure undertones(?) and really funny. It's wonderful!
    Good luck with the book, I'd love to buy it.
    And greetings from México!

Zweet on
  • Options
    SpeethSpeeth Registered User regular
    Tuckinator wrote: »
    These poses/style reminded me of the Gorillaz. There was noodle, 2d, and here's russel. Find these kids a murdoc and put them in halloween costumes!

Why do I feel like Purdy is the perfect Murdoc?

• Options
    ukimalefuukimalefu Registered User regular
    whoa! best Portrait so far (IMHO)

• Options
    DeyevinDeyevin Registered User regular
    Tuckinator wrote: »
    That's funny that you mention it, the reason that I saw this comic in the first place was that Malachi looked like 2d in some abstract way to me! I just had to see what it was about. That's why in all the comics I hear Malachi talking in a British accent in my head. After that I heard him say Seventeen's name, laughed for ages, and just kept reading!

• Options
    MRTFMRTF Registered User regular
    Brian looks odd. I thought he had a brown hair?

• Options
    briguybriguy Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    MRTF wrote: »
    Brian looks odd. I thought he had a brown hair?

I think it's sort of reddish-brown. Not full ginger, but maybe a quarter.

I hope we see some of the other campers in this style later on. Tanner, Lori, Anne and Fred in particular. It's different, but nice and I wonder how they would look in this style.

briguy on