Options

i'm buff, i'm the stuff, and the wrestling thread just can't get enough!

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I also don't think its out of the question that Bryan will get at least one more title reign. It won't be for long of course but if Reigns does flop completely and Cena isn't available I can see them going with Bryan again.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Unless they just want to keep it on Seth.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I bet a young Randy Orton is in the audience right behind that table.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I think the biggest thing to take from that Meltzer piece is that Vince has successfully managed to change the economics of the wrestling business so he can do things his own way for the most part.

Truly he is a comic book villain businessman.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    Haha, that guy lost his dumb Scotty 2 Hotty hat. Or a 'lid' as King would say.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    His ideas of who a top wrestler should be might be out of date but his ability to make money sure as hell isn't.

• Options
    Did Shane just threaten Michael Clarke Duncan with a steel chair!?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    And that's why Vince has outlasted everyone else.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    His ideas of who a top wrestler should be might be out of date but his ability to make money sure as hell isn't.

for the record, this is actually what makes the endless issues so annoying

he is capable of better and he has earned himself every eye in the world that is interested in this business

yes he can't grasp the simplest shit

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    The first heel to ever walk out Mania the winner.

• Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    I am going to watch NXT now and Im so excited.

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    I would read the entirety of whatever you posted if it's not a hassle. if it is, I certainly get the gist from your tl;dr

It's large, so if you want to give it a shot, I'll post it here. I know he gets criticized here, but stuff like this is why he is the wrestling journalist, the one who's been around doing this stuff for decades. If you like what you see, the site's having a sale ($4 for a month I think, you get podcasts too which are pretty good half the time) but this is his best in a while. History plus berating Vince for refusing to see in Bryan what's there and capitalizing on it.

I believe the sale is over, unfortunately.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Huh, thought it was till the end of the month.

• Options
    Yeah, it was just through monday.

Still worth trying out a month for $11. If you like enough of the podcasts and other stuff it's still a good deal.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    And the Bryan fans "accepting" his loss after finally being "beaten down" after all this time is somewhat misleading due to the simple fact that they already got their cathartic moment last year. So in that point I gotta disagree with Dave.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
  • Options
    I do not like Bull Dempsey at all but this match with Itami is by far the most watchable he's been.

• Options
    So three good matches surrounded by Attitude Era crap. Not too bad.

Next week we go Old School though...

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Meltzer even admitted they tried with Bryan last year but the injury fucked everything up.

• Options
    Also this is probably a super unpopular opinion, but as much as I want to get behind him, I am not the biggest fan of Hideo Itami. There's just something about his style that I don't find all that enjoyable.

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    you're deluding yourself if you think they wouldn't be going full steam ahead with bryan if he had "the look"

he has the kind of mainstream appeal and recognition that wwe so desperately craves

Kilroy on
  • Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    Yep, because in WWE, you only get one chance and that's it. If circumstances, injury, or anything ruin it, you just never get another chance, that's how it works for everyone, so we can't complain about Bryan only getting one shot at being the guy.

Right, Randy Orton?

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    Meltzer even admitted they tried with Bryan last year but the injury fucked everything up.

He didn't outright say it, but the implication from this and prior things was if it weren't for the injury, Bryan would have been in Cena's place for the Summerslam annihilation by Brock. Also if it weren't for Reigns' hernia, he would have been in Dolph's place at Survivor Series.

Would have hated to see anybody but Dolph do that, but at least then it would have actually...you know...went somewhere.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Thats actually an interesting way to look at it.

The biggest problem with WWE's storytelling this past year is that they lost their main characters, and instead of writing a new story with the characters they had, they chose to just put other established characters in their place, until it was time to swap them back.

That's all well and good in a wrestling match, but also not really how storytelling works at all.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    Dave says that Vince will never push Bryan to the title again. I say that's not at all certain. Will many factors have to be involved to get Bryan there again? Sure. But there's still the chance it will happen.

• Options

He didn't outright say it, but the implication from this and prior things was if it weren't for the injury, Bryan would have been in Cena's place for the Summerslam annihilation by Brock.

Meltzer has outright said it on Observer Radio before. Hell if I can remember exactly when though.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Man

Bryan getting (b)rocked wouldn't have gone over nearly as well

They kinda dodged a bullet there

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    The biggest factor of course is what Cena's role will be after Mania and how the crowds are reacting to Roman. If Brock is really leaving they need to just start pushing that angle because it might be the thing needed to get the Cali crowd more behind the challenger.

• Options
    If they wanted to make Lesnar a huge heel, it would have worked amazingly.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Just go full on Mania 20 and have Paul crow about it on TV.

• Options
    Holy shit Becky Lynch bridging out of that pin attempt back to her feet was crazy awesome looking.

• Options
    Reynolds wrote: »

It could still work if they start pushing it by next week.

• Options
    Dave says that Vince will never push Bryan to the title again. I say that's not at all certain. Will many factors have to be involved to get Bryan there again? Sure. But there's still the chance it will happen.

That's not at all what he said. The whole piece was about how he'll absolutely never be Vince's guy aka the face of the company, despite none of the previous people Vince used to fill that role having everything he thinks is needed to be in that position.

• Options

That's not at all what he said. The whole piece was about how he'll absolutely never be Vince's guy aka the face of the company, despite none of the previous people Vince used to fill that role having everything he thinks is needed to be in that position.

It sure seemed like that's what he was saying though. But yeah he never outright said Bryan would never get the title again.

• Options
    edited February 2015

Yes. This.

Part of the screwy problem right now is that somehow Lesnar the monster heel became Lesnar the killer evil fan favorite.

The sentiment after Summerslam wouldn't have been, "holy shit they took apart Cena and it was amazing", it would've been "this is bullshit they took the title off Bryan to give to a part timer and they made Bryan look terrible in the process." Bryan popping back up for a rematch would've made fans rally because it would've made Bryan look strong again. Instead we got typical supercena bullshit. We were left dreading the inevitable rematch instead of waiting for it, and being frustrated at Brock for its screwiness instead of Cena.

And when they picked Roman to go over Lesnar at WM, we would be saying, "hey good they are going with a young guy over, say, Cena. And also they're giving nod to young talent over this part timer on his way out."

Man, that could've been like, a pretty cool year of wrestling :(

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Man

Bryan getting (b)rocked wouldn't have gone over nearly as well

They kinda dodged a bullet there

It would have devastated the crowd more than when it happened to Cena, which was probably the intent unlike what was received here and elsewhere when it happened to Cena (mass celebration)

Plus in that scenario Cena wouldn't have faced Brock until the Rumble and it wouldn't have felt like such an overdone match by then

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular

Part of what made that match work really well for me was the fact that John Cena had never been put in that position to that extent before. Bryan has been beaten up tons of time, Cena always seemed untouchable.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    MrDapper wrote: »

Part of what made that match work really well for me was the fact that John Cena had never been put in that position to that extent before. Bryan has been beaten up tons of time, Cena always seemed untouchable.

Yeah there are both good angles on both sides.

• Options
    Did Shane just threaten Michael Clarke Duncan with a steel chair!?

How did I not remember that.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Oops

wirehead26 on
This discussion has been closed.