As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Who likes [books]? I like books! Let's read!

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    The thing is, as expensive as the book readers are and as cheap as tablets are you are probably going to get more and better use out of a tablet as long as it can access the kindle app. My phone does a pretty great job when i want to e-read as well. a seperate device is becoming kinda an extra expense.

Do you have a toaster and a normal oven? That normal oven can totally do everything the toaster can do.

E-ink readers are far easier on my eyes than reading from computer/phone screens. This would probably be less of a problem if I didn't spend most of my day at work starting at computer screens but it is what it is. It is absolutely a specialized device and people need to decide if their use justifies it.

E-ink readers also have several multiples the battery life of a tablet. If you want something light for a trip and know you won't be near a charger for long periods of time, they are great.

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    AAAAHHHHH THE PALADIN CAPER JUST DROPPED

I've never read anything from Weekes. General style/comparison?

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    The Judge wrote: »

I've never read anything from Weekes. General style/comparison?

I've helpfully dug up a sample of his work.
    Hilariously, a google search for takyris and seamen also searches for semen.
    edit: More seriously, I haven't read the full version of The Palace Job (first book in this series), but I read the short one he posted waaay back when, and it was a fantasy heist story with bantering characters, so if that's your bag, you may like them.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

I hope its good

The Prophecy Con was okay, but it felt... uneven? I felt like the intro could have used more build up than dropping us directly into the shit.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    This is half of the new books we get in and I love Mallory Ortberg forever.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    The thing is, as expensive as the book readers are and as cheap as tablets are you are probably going to get more and better use out of a tablet as long as it can access the kindle app. My phone does a pretty great job when i want to e-read as well. a seperate device is becoming kinda an extra expense.

Do you have a toaster and a normal oven? That normal oven can totally do everything the toaster can do.

E-ink readers are far easier on my eyes than reading from computer/phone screens. This would probably be less of a problem if I didn't spend most of my day at work starting at computer screens but it is what it is. It is absolutely a specialized device and people need to decide if their use justifies it.

E-ink readers also have several multiples the battery life of a tablet. If you want something light for a trip and know you won't be near a charger for long periods of time, they are great.

I like my Kindle Fire a lot, but after getting it, I would prefer to have a dedicated device for reading e-books.

It works great for comics and Netflix and browsing shopping shit though.

And it's nice to use when I want to watch something or listen to music and the TV is in use.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Finally got hold of Between The World And Me. I'd read excerpts before, and content-wise a lot was repackaged from coates' earlier blog entries, but reading it as a singular whole - the message and the stories are exponentially more powerful.

Also, the writing. God damn, that's some parsimonious elegance.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    It's decent popcorn reading. I read the first 3 or 4. Won't blow your mind but they're fast and fun.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    WoT Book 5 is completed. Still enjoyable. Sad to see a particular character disappear (somehow completely forgot about that). Still annoyed at hostility for/between characters, but it seems to be improving. The plot still feels like it's moving quite well, particularly if you use the checkboxes of "who's left among the Forsaken."

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    It's decent popcorn reading. I read the first 3 or 4. Won't blow your mind but they're fast and fun.

I may give it a try

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular

Ooh, I've read 14 by him and really enjoyed it. Might have a look at this.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    It was not at all subtle, but I appreciate that The Paladin Caper includes a scene that casts the evil ancient ones from another dimension as not only grossly racist and sexist but also specifically includes very GG-esque dialogue

And I don't mean yours truly but the OTHER GG of course

• Options
    It was not at all subtle, but I appreciate that The Paladin Caper includes a scene that casts the evil ancient ones from another dimension as not only grossly racist and sexist but also specifically includes very GG-esque dialogue

There really isn't anything subtle about Weekes' series thus far, honestly.
    Is this the Glimmering Folk you're talking about, or the Ancients (the possessed warhammer/axe who were the villains in the last book), or another new evil?

• Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

There really isn't anything subtle about Weekes' series thus far, honestly.
    Is this the Glimmering Folk you're talking about, or the Ancients (the possessed warhammer/axe who were the villains in the last book), or another new evil?

Spoilers for The Paladin Caper, though it happens pretty early on
    It's the Ancients, who seem to be entirely magical or spirit beings who must possess magical items and through them a physical body

They return to the world and go about infiltrating various parts of elite society

There's a scene where some of them discuss needing to possess more women in order to keep a more natural distribution of sleeper agents, and a couple of them vehemently object to the idea, saying they're sick of female hosts being shoehorned in as a "gimmick" especially when it's bad enough that some of them have to control black hosts as well

• Options
    kind of sounds like a really lazy way of making them more "evil", considering they just got foiled from
    setting off a bunch of magical nukes to wipe out a lot of fucking people for no better reason than because they could. that's pretty fucking evil

i dunno.

• Options
    The specific dialogue just really seemed to recall GG language about why they shouldn't have to play characters that aren't white males, but not everyone will read it the same way

• Options
    The specific dialogue just really seemed to recall GG language about why they shouldn't have to play characters that aren't white males, but not everyone will read it the same way

#notallwarhammers

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    So apparently there's this book out called Carter and Lovecraft which is a sort of cosmic horror story set in our time, so it's a bit more "urban fantasy" than something set in the 20's would be. Personally I think it looks pretty interesting, and I'm a fan of cosmic horror and urban fantasy and all that those entail and so I'll be checking it out and hopefully picking up a copy before too long.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    So apparently there's this book out called Carter and Lovecraft which is a sort of cosmic horror story set in our time, so it's a bit more "urban fantasy" than something set in the 20's would be. Personally I think it looks pretty interesting, and I'm a fan of cosmic horror and urban fantasy and all that those entail and so I'll be checking it out and hopefully picking up a copy before too long.

That's the guy who writes the Johannes Cabal series, which is great
    I have this on my Kindle, can't wait to work my way up to it

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Taking another crack at the Malazan series. I cannot, cannot, cannot get over this passage from Gardens of the Moon.
    Kruppe raised a hand, showing in his hand a flat disc of wax.

"An item," he said softly, his eyes on the disc, "that passes without provenance. Pursued by many who thirst for its cold kiss. On which life, and all that lay within life, is often gambled. Alone, a beggar's crown. In great numbers, a king's folly. Weighted with ruin, yet blood washes from it beneath the lightest rain, and to the next, no hint of its cost. It is, as it is, says Kruppe, worthless. But for those who insist otherwise..."

etc. etc.

"You speak," Baruk said slowly, fighting to pull back into reality by focusing on the wax disc in Kruppe's hand, "of a coin."

GoOoOoOod damn. Maybe I'll be able to get past Gardens in a meaningful way this time, as well as past this passage!

THESPOOKY on
    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    I love those books and I love how up their own ass they are but man, if that passage is a problem for you then some of the later books are going to be rough. Hopefully by then you're hooked and don't mind!

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Oh, that one's not a problem, it's like drugs to my brain. I've just never been able to get past Deadhouse Gates for one reason or another.

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    Ohhh, you like it. Well in that case you are in for a world of treats!

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Sooooo I feel real dumb for not putting this together until she said it herself

but yo Rhianna Pratchett just wrote a video game about living up to the enormous legacy of your recently deceased father while working in the same field he did

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I finished The Aeronaut's Windlass and the only real complaint I have about it is the title, which is nonsensical and has nearly nothing to do with the book.

Do you like Jim Butcher? Not the Dresden Files necessarily but just nicely written popcorn action books with ok characters and semi-predictable structure and plot? Then you'll like this!

Hate steampunk? Still read it, it's hardly steampunky at all. Love steampunk? You'll probably hate it, it's hardly steampunky at all.

Love cats? Definitely read it, a cat is the best character in the book!

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    I have it on my phone. Stopped at Chapter Nine. Ten is where it picks up right?

• Options
    Had the thing happened to the ship with the two other ships and then the fight in the Spire and then the conversation with the Spirearch? It gets good after that.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I went to the bookstore last night, and, amongst other things, stumbled upon a first edition printing of a Raymond Chandler novel

It's missing it's dustjacket, but honestly looks way better without it

I picked it up just because I hadn't read it yet, but now I've looked it up and am pretty pleased with myself

IMG_20151119_144006535_zpsggym6ruz.jpg

Straightzi on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    I finished The Aeronaut's Windlass and the only real complaint I have about it is the title, which is nonsensical and has nearly nothing to do with the book.

Do you like Jim Butcher? Not the Dresden Files necessarily but just nicely written popcorn action books with ok characters and semi-predictable structure and plot? Then you'll like this!

Hate steampunk? Still read it, it's hardly steampunky at all. Love steampunk? You'll probably hate it, it's hardly steampunky at all.

The cat is incredibly well written.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I went to the bookstore last night, and, amongst other things, stumbled upon a first edition printing of a Raymond Chandler novel

It's missing it's dustjacket, but honestly looks way better without it

I picked it up just because I hadn't read it yet, but now I've looked it up and am pretty pleased with myself

IMG_20151119_144006535_zpsggym6ruz.jpg

That's a handsome-ass book

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Finally giving Temeraire by Naomi Novik a shot. So far, pretty decent. Not how I expected the premise to play out, but whatever.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I think it's better than it has any right to be.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Started reading the first Iron Druid book. Very good so far, so thanks to whoever recommended it lo those many months ago.

Only one minor problem so far. When Atticus was first describing himself I started to picture him as WWE's Sheamus. Albeit younger and less muscley. I don't think I can stop now. :/

• Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »

I just finished it as well. I liked it a lot! What is up with that name though. So bad.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Ugh. My Sony PRS-T3 just had an unfortunate accident (which killed the upper part of the screen).
    I've ordered a Kobo Glo to replace it, but it feels so wrong (because I loved my Sony). I wish Sony hadn'tpulled out of the Reader-business.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Newest kindle purchases:

'The Power of One' by Bryce Courtney. A novel set in apartheid era South Africa. Recommended to me by work colleagues.

'In the Blood' by Steve Robinson. A genealogical mystery novel. Bought it because it was cheap, well rated, but mainly because the term genealogical mystery is very appealing to me.

'Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee' by Dee Brown. Bought on @Poorochondriac's frequent recommendation. Will be the first thing I've ever read about Indigenous/Native/First Americans since GCSE History classes.

Currently reading: 'The Species Seekers', an account of early naturalists and their quest to discover new species. (This is an actual paper book I took from the 'library' at base. It's weird. I keep trying to click words I don't know to get a dictionary pop-up!)

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    ooh the naturalist one sounds good, I'm gonna look for it.

The Power of One is pretty good if you don't think about it too hard and try to ignore all the weird colonialist white saviour aspects*. (It's a bit sappy mind you). All the rest of his novels are horrible pot-boilers though.

* there's probably a lot more problematic elements, but it's been a solid 20 years since I read it so I'm not gonna offer up any harsh critiques based on some vague memories.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Hmm, thanks for the heads up. What I'd really like is to find some novels by black (South) African authors. But unsurprisingly when I search for South African writers I mainly get a lot of English and Afrikaans names. And doing much googling on our internet is painful. But I'm definitely going to look into it more while I have the luxury of good net over xmas.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    man... Dan Simmons' Hyperion Cantos is AMAZING!!

I love his writing style so much and have already finished 2/4 books.

Thanks for the recommendation!

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.