As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Australian & NZ Politics] Brought to you by Prime Minister Lump of Coal

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Road Block wrote: »
    Karen Andrews claimed last night that it had 42 signatures when she signed. She was number 27.

Politicians are lying sacks of crap, and the sky is blue. More at 11.
    Which is exactly why Turnbull needed to see a list of names and not just take them at their word

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-24/malcolm-turnbull-liberal-party-fear-comes-to-pass/10160764
    Annabell Crab with a good take on the fall of Turnbull. You know, I'm pretty sure I linked her take on things when Gillard was removed, too...

Riddle me this. What I don't understand very well is why, given that the wackjob reactionaries are clearly in control of Liberal party policy and have only been getting stronger over the last decade, relatively moderate leaders get elected for the party? If the actual small government, 'freedom'-minded moderate wing have the numbers to elect their own to the leadership, why is it that policy is driven by the big-government, market-destroying, we-should-care-about-your-bedroom-activities numpties?

It's probably something very simple I'm not seeing.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    fABrJsP.jpg

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Solvent wrote: »
    http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-24/malcolm-turnbull-liberal-party-fear-comes-to-pass/10160764
    Annabell Crab with a good take on the fall of Turnbull. You know, I'm pretty sure I linked her take on things when Gillard was removed, too...

Riddle me this. What I don't understand very well is why, given that the wackjob reactionaries are clearly in control of Liberal party policy and have only been getting stronger over the last decade, relatively moderate leaders get elected for the party? If the actual small government, 'freedom'-minded moderate wing have the numbers to elect their own to the leadership, why is it that policy is driven by the big-government, market-destroying, we-should-care-about-your-bedroom-activities numpties?

Is there a narrow enough margin that some of the moderates saying they would refuse to vote for a crazy would act as a deterrent?

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    I mean, they still have to put a somewhat palatable face on their bullshit.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    This is a decent little op-ed unpacking the prolonged wet fart that is Turnbull's time in office.

What Was The Point Of Malcolm Turnbull?
    Perhaps the greatest impact of Turnbull’s tenure as PM will be on the party he led, which now lies in ruins. History is replete with premature predictions of the deaths of political parties, but the Liberal Party has never been as divided as it is right now.

Will Turnbull’s portrait ever go up in the Liberal party room? There might not even be a wall to hang it on.

In the end, Turnbull’s most enduring legacy may be his own portrait in the National Gallery. Perhaps that’s all he ever really believed in.

• Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    Oh, and on the promise of Dutton to take GST off power prices: read the article, but look to the comments https://www.theguardian.com/business/grogonomics/2018/aug/23/peter-duttons-gst-plan-smells-of-political-desperation-and-policy-stupidity

This is why economists and policy-minded people are always tearing their hair out. The electorate, broadly speaking, doesn't really care how shit the effects of removing gst from power prices would be for government revenue, funding services, or economic incentives. Some people will say they want politicians to think carefully about good policy but throw them a carrot and that all goes away.

Oh, and I'm not saying that high power prices aren't a problem - just that I hate the apparent popularity of just reaching for a really crappy solution when there are people working hard to come up with less damaging policies.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Solvent wrote: »

1) They're not as moderate as advertised.

2) They need to govern more hard right to hold the coalition together to maintain an alliance with the reactionaries.

3) This is the norm for the moderates now, and the hard right are even crazier then thought.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    yernldzrviln.jpg

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Alright Australia. Instead of having a monster for a PM, you'll be having a...monster for a PM

dPCazty.gif

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Well there you have it. The end of Malcolm.

He will go down in history as a nowhere man who stood for nothing, abandoned every conviction he purported to hold in a desperate attempt to grab and then hold onto power and that the small handful of positive things that happened during his term were in spite of his efforts rather than because of them.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    -SPI- wrote: »

He will go down in history as a nowhere man who stood for nothing, abandoned every conviction he purported to hold in a desperate attempt to grab and then hold onto power and that the small handful of positive things that happened during his term were in spite of his efforts rather than because of them.

It feels something of a poetic end for him. He's a politician who tried to please everyone, only to be stabbed in the back by everyone. One who prized style above substance, only to meet his end in a public drawn-out mudfight which tarnished every name involved.

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    -SPI- wrote: »

Am I wrong to think that the Greens actually achieved more significant victories than anyone?

Gay marriage, bank RC, are there more? was the commission into the churches driven by them?

• Options
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »

Hey, Clive? Fuck off, you corrupt prick.

While you weren't the worst thing to pass through parliament, your attempts to pad your wallet at the expense of the country was less appealing than the worst thing to ever pass through me.

You talked a big game, but you were an inferior version of Trump in all ways except belt size.

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    So Clive's strategy is.... memes?

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Gotta be honest, clibe
    Idgi

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    Gotta be honest, clibe
    Idgi
    It kinda got lost in the shuffle, but from Wiki...
    "On 18 June 2018, Clive Palmer announced the reformation of the party as the United Australia Party, with former One Nation senator, Brian Burston joining as its first political member and senate leader.[2]"

The link is to an article on the ABC website about him getting a One Nation Senator to flip to the UAP.

So, I think the meme is supposed to be a subtle "See how both major parties are raging clusterfucks? Well, I have a solution! Vote for the AUP!"

To which I reiterate, hey, Clive? Fuck off, you corrupt prick.

When you run a company into the ground, defaulting on $300M in debt, and putting 800 people out of work, while allegedly donating more than $20 million to the Palmer United Party in two years including an alleged donation of $288,516 days before the workers were terminated, you can go and get fucked.

• Options
    Sure but what does the chibi character in a where-the-wild-things-are costume have to do - actually no
    this is a rabbit hole that on second thoughts I'd rather not explore

• Options
    Sure but what does the chibi character in a where-the-wild-things-are costume have to do - actually no
    this is a rabbit hole that on second thoughts I'd rather not explore
    Clive is a furry at heart?

Wouldn't surprise me. But yeah, I think that's meant to represent the UAP as a changemaker.

And for the third time, because I will never tire of it, hey, Clive? Fuck off, you corrupt prick.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Now there’s MPs for both Liberal and National calling for Abbott to quit and stop stirring up shit.

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    Now there’s MPs for both Liberal and National calling for Abbott to quit and stop stirring up shit.

If that actually happens then this wont have all been for nothing

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Viking wrote: »

If that actually happens then this wont have all been for nothing

Can they kick the detractors out of the party?
    Assuming spite > wanting to be the government

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    i know a guy who knows a guy who knows clive and apparently all his social media is run by some weird, extremely online guy in WA

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    So Morrison's first diplomatic act is inviting Trump over, assumedly to discuss fucking over brown people over a beer Maccas.

The fact I'm having a long drink right now is entirely unrelated.

Suriko on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Seriously guys. Policy wasn’t going change with this spill. Expected ng any different from standard liberal shit will just lead to disappointment.

Save that for if (when?) Labour fucks up the next election.

• Options
    Seriously guys. Policy wasn’t going change with this spill. Expected ng any different from standard liberal shit will just lead to disappointment.

The question is - will Australia's relationship change with Trump? Morrison is showing signs he's less on the ball with Trump than Malcolm was.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

The question is - will Australia's relationship change with Trump? Morrison is showing signs he's less on the ball with Trump than Malcolm was.

Also why in the hell does anyone think we gain anything from inviting Trump anywhere?

I can guarantee you Trump is barely cognizant any of this happened.

• Options
    edited August 2018

Also why in the hell does anyone think we gain anything from inviting Trump anywhere?

This is especially bad because it'll give Trump a reason to leave America to avoid the heat, and be in a bad mood when he comes down. This was a bad idea under the very best of circumstances.

edit: Perhaps Morrison forgot how Trump raged at Malcolm in one of their earliest phone conferences over literally nothing while Malcolm was trying to butter him up.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Haha, in one last grenade thrown over his shoulder, the Liberals may not have the money needed for the next election campaign. Last campaign Turnbull gave $1 million of his own money into the campaign, which it’s doubted he will do again. On top of that, he’s cancelled all of his fund raisers for it was well.

Guess the Liberal will have to fudge some books and use taxpayer money. I mean, why wouldn’t they at this point.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Malcolm Trumble never had that good of a relationship with Trump in the first place.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

Trump's gonna show up still thinking Malcolm is running things. He's gonna get super pissed when he doesn't even meet him once when he's over there and instead he's stuck dealing with this Morrison fellow.

• Options
    Malcolm Trumble never had that good of a relationship with Trump in the first place.

Morrison may have a worse one if he's not careful, at least Turnbull had the sense not to meet him in Australia face to face.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

Morrison may have a worse one if he's not careful, at least Turnbull had the sense not to meet him in Australia face to face.

I mean you know, already drafting up protest placards really.

• Options

And why would he risk Trump's erratic temperament. Ever since that first phonecall, Turnbull seems to have managed to get Australia off Trump's radar. I mean, Trump has done nothing but blow up diplomatic relations with allies he's met in person. Some have come away arguably unscathed (Japan?), but most have seen a downshift (Canada, Mexico, France, Britain, Germany, etc etc etc). But I can't think of a single ally that has gotten a better deal. Because Trump doesn't do that.

And if Trump finds out it was a politician from Morrison's party (Alexander Downer was the one who reported Papadopolous to the US government that started the whole Russia thing), that caused all his current legal issues, he is absolutely going to lose it. Because Trump is a lunatic.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular

Labor,

It was changed to reflect the American spelling in solidarity with the successes of the American labour movement earlier last century.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Trace wrote: »

Trump's gonna show up still thinking Malcolm is running things. He's gonna get super pissed when he doesn't even meet him once when he's over there and instead he's stuck dealing with this Morrison fellow.

Trump doesn't know who the PM was, amd isn't going to know the difference

• Options
    I was thinking the other day that if the Trump presidency was a sitcom, having him field a call every week from the Australian PM, and having it be a different person each time, would be a good running gag. Of course nobody in the White House would notice.

• Options
    I was thinking the other day that if the Trump presidency was a sitcom, having him field a call every week from the Australian PM, and having it be a different person each time, would be a good running gag. Of course nobody in the White House would notice.
    At this point, it wouldn't be that far from the truth. :(

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/whatsapp-messages-reveal-why-julie-bishop-lost-20180826-p4zzte.html
    "[Senator Mathias] Cormann rumoured to be putting some WA votes behind Julie Bishop in round 1. Be aware that this is a ruse trying to get her ahead of Morrison so he drops out & his votes go to Dutton," came the warning from Urban Infrastructure Minister Paul Fletcher.

"Despite our hearts tugging us to Julie we need to vote with our heads for Scott in round one."

Senator Cormann has categorically denied this claim, telling Fairfax Media: "This is 100 per cent incorrect".

This discussion has been closed.