Options

Need Help - Legal, Sorta. Death Certificate Search

powersspowerss Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
My father passed away in December.

We'e finding these little life insurance policies laying around. We have one, less than $100,000, that was supposed to go to his Aunt in case of his death. She died, and the 2nd beneficiary is a family friend, who has graciously offered to give us the money, no strings attached.

This is great, but we need to provide proof of the Aunt's death. She lived in Cincinatti Ohio, and I'm having trouble finding a death certificate or obituary for her.

My mother wants me to call another member of the family who lives there, who's been pretty nosy after my fathers death and essentially con her into giving me the date of death, or a death certificate.

I feel uncomfortable doing this, and I'd rather do it over the internet.

This is the info I have, and that's it.

1) Name
2) Address

That's it. Can I get a death certificate with this?

Some places ask for county... I can't figure out the county from the address. If anyone can help, their home was right next to the University of Cincinatti - what county is this?

Please, help is much appreciated.

powerss on

• Options
    KealohaKealoha Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    With my advanced sleuthing abilities, I have come upon the information that Cincinnati is in Hamilton county!

good luck

Kealoha on
    !! ! ! !!
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You'd need to call the Hamilton County Clerk/Recorder's office (or whatever the Ohio equivalent is), and ask them for a certified copy of the death certificate. They'll probably charge you a substantial fee for it, but odds are, it's worth it.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Hmmmmmmmm. Hamilton Country.

powerss on
  • Options
    DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »
    You'd need to call the Hamilton County Clerk/Recorder's office (or whatever the Ohio equivalent is), and ask them for a certified copy of the death certificate. They'll probably charge you a substantial fee for it, but odds are, it's worth it.

Or you could just go online to the site that provides online ordering of death certificates and pay them $36 and have them send one to your house 2nd day air. It's $18 if you want it done by snailmail.

DrFrylock on
  • Options
    embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    DrFrylock wrote: »

Or you could just go online to the site that provides online ordering of death certificates and pay them $36 and have them send one to your house 2nd day air. It's $18 if you want it done by snailmail.

He's going to need to call, because that site requires the date, and the OP said he only had name/address info.

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • Options
    DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    embrik wrote: »

He's going to need to call, because that site requires the date, and the OP said he only had name/address info.

Look up her date of death using name and place only on the social security death index.

DrFrylock on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    embrik wrote: »

Look up her date of death using name and place only on the social security death index.

Dude. Thank you so much. This solved my problem.

Wow. You guys rock.

powerss on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    DrFrylock kicking some ass, research-style!

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X