As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Programming] Thread: Fixed last bug in 5 month thread

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    We'll see how this works!
    sl89ozzbc7qe.jpg

Nice!

He's going to mow your lawns so well when he grows up.

Edit: No! No BOTP for that post! I forbid it

As long as Honky hides quarters in the grass.

It's dangerous to go alone! Take this

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Yeah I liked the idea of people thinking I was Simon Pegg. I should've photoshopped his face or something. Ah well.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Probably as good a place as any to bring it up, @IcyLiquid thanks for fixing the latest unread post bug. I just noticed a few weeks ago it was working like it used to and that's rad, because it made catching up on a long thread over several days kind of pain.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Yeah I liked the idea of people thinking I was Simon Pegg. I should've photoshopped his face or something. Ah well.

Wait

You're not?

Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • Options
    I mean... I totally am!

• Options
    IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    :)

• Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Probably as good a place as any to bring it up, @IcyLiquid thanks for fixing the latest unread post bug. I just noticed a few weeks ago it was working like it used to and that's rad, because it made catching up on a long thread over several days kind of pain.

I thought it was supposed to work that way.

Silly Icy. Why fix a bug when you can call it a feature?

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    Hey guys, you know what's fun? Building a video hosting (focused, niche service with approved content from specific people, not a youtube clone for just anyone to upload anything) and transcoding site from the ground up, including gathering requirements and working with new libs and external services, while maintaining legacy data from the previous incarnation of the system, in roughly two weeks.

One of the words in the sentence above is incorrect. Can you guess which one?

• Options
    ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    Jimmy King wrote: »
    Hey guys, you know what's fun? Building a video hosting (focused, niche service with approved content from specific people, not a youtube clone for just anyone to upload anything) and transcoding site from the ground up, including gathering requirements and working with new libs and external services, while maintaining legacy data from the previous incarnation of the system, in roughly two weeks.

Must be that one.

Do I win a prize?! =P

Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular

Everyone knows you replace units of time with the next bigger one, so this would become months. right?

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    You might find this interesting if you didn't see it on redit already: Chrome for Android dev looks at javascript funtimes on poopy websites!

LD50 on
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Must be that one.

Do I win a prize?! =P

Your prize is on its way. You should receive an invite to our task management system where you can find your tasks to work on!

@djmitchella gets a prize, too!

Perhaps that should have said "replace any word above to make this statement correct". The answer I had in mind was "fun".

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    Damn Jimmy... Good luck!

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    https://github.com/mediadrop/mediadrop

@Jimmy King

GPLv3, incorporate that into your solution maybe?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Hm, we've been chatting in those threads for years and while there have been a lot of new faces, not many have changed. I'm always curious to see how people's expertise evolves, but I don't have the memory to observe it. So, what are the new technologies people have picked up in the last ~24 months? Did you guys learn something out of your current comfort sphere, or did you focus on knowledge that will help you actively with the work in hand?

Off the top of my head, looking at the past 2 years, I've gotten to use ko.js and angular in production environment for pure js applications/components of quiet significant size(so, no more writing jquery plugins for re-usability, yay!). I had a chance to use extensively Postgres, Mongo, Solr & ES and form a decent opinion (but not always expertise) on all of them. I got to write C# for the first time! The language is nice, but Visual Studio was not the life changing event I was promised!.
    I got to work more and more with Clojure to a point where I'll be releasing my first public project next month and hopefully will have a commercial product up and running by year's end! I got really into docker and a lot of the devops open source solutions around it. Looking for a way to contribute directly, but GO has been a bit of a barrier that I don't want to tackle it out of sheer stubbornness. For the near future, I'm really looking forward towards using React in production and am kind of interested in what Angular 2.0 will do with Typescript. During all this time, I've seen and written more PHP code(the metric unit for php code is a kilogram, btw) than a person should ever have to and still kept my sanity!

So....what have you guys been up to?

zeeny on
  • Options
    We've actually got "most" of it working. It's all on AWS, so we're using elastic transcoder and sns for the video encoding. I (and the other devs here) have been killing myself to get this done over the last week and half or so, which is why you haven't heard shit from me. I was able to start writing code last week (while requirements were still coming in and changing as of last Friday), initial launch date was this coming Tuesday. Looks like we've gotten ourselves a few more days.

As to new things in the last 24 months? Hm. For me that's been more working with more visible websites which actually see traffic and learning to write and deploy them in scalable ways. Lots of work with Django related tools and learning to make better use of them, particularly Django REST Framework and GeoDjango and PostGIS. I've been putting focus on learning more front end stuff, trying to get at least semi-useful with css, learn more maintainable ways of handling javascript, working with knockout, angular, and requirejs and learning to integrate those with Django, and browserify and react are on the list to work with in the very near future. I have some contributed code included with Django 1.7 and django-allauth and would love to contribute some more to open source projects which I use.

Still on my todo: more js stuff and getting to the point I can build a cool site people other than me use. I'd love to do more with C and have a play with Go and Nim, but I haven't found something to do which makes me go "yes, I want to do this with one of those languages" just yet. Boto (python AWS lib) may get a contribution once I'm able to confirm my SNS message validation code actually works.

• Options
    Well, in past year, I've gone from being a guy who'd taken a bunch of CS courses, but hadn't really done much real world programming, to being an actual developer. So I've worked on ASP.NET and WPF and a few different SQL reporting tools, none of which I'd ever done before.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Mostly getting more experience with Oracle/PLSQL and Crystal Reports, since two major projects have been on that stack instead of our usual Microsoft/SSRS one.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Crystal Reports? Hurrrrghhh

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    God do I miss the tablix. :)

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Learned SQLite, which is not nearly as complex as traditional database languages but I think is still pretty applicable across the board for the most part! Also took a dip into kernel modules, embedded Linux, and interviewed at both Google and Apple which has taught me a lot about how I need to continually brush up on basic fundamentals.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Question for you XML guys.
    <nlmSearchResult>
    <document rank="2" url="http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/diabetes.html">
    <content name="title"><span class="qt0">Diabetes</span></content>
    <content name="organizationName">National Library of Medicine</content>
    <content name="altTitle"><span class="qt0">Diabetes Mellitus</span></content>
    <content name="altTitle">Sugar <span class="qt0">Diabetes</span></content>
    <content name="altTitle">DM</content>
    <content name="FullSummary">
    <p><span class="qt0">Diabetes</span> is a disease in which your blood glucose, or blood sugar, levels are too high. Glucose comes from the foods you eat. Insulin is a hormone that helps the glucose get into your cells to give them energy. With type 1 <span class="qt0">diabetes</span>, your body does not make insulin. With type 2 <span class="qt0">diabetes</span>, the more common type, your body does not make or use insulin well. Without enough insulin, the glucose stays in your blood. You can also have prediabetes. This means that your blood sugar is higher than normal but not high enough to be called <span class="qt0">diabetes</span>. Having prediabetes puts you at a higher risk of getting type 2 <span class="qt0">diabetes</span>.</p><p>Over time, having too much glucose in your blood can cause serious problems. It can damage your eyes, kidneys, and nerves. <span class="qt0">Diabetes</span> can also cause heart disease, stroke and even the need to remove a limb. Pregnant women can also get <span class="qt0">diabetes</span>, called gestational <span class="qt0">diabetes</span>.</p><p>A blood test can show if you have <span class="qt0">diabetes</span>. Exercise, weight control and sticking to your meal plan can help control your <span class="qt0">diabetes</span>. You should also monitor your glucose level and take medicine if prescribed. </p><p>NIH: National Institute of <span class="qt0">Diabetes</span> and Digestive and Kidney Diseases</p>
    </content>
    <content name="mesh"><span class="qt0">Diabetes Mellitus</span></content>
    <content name="groupName">Seniors</content>
    <content name="groupName">Endocrine System</content>
    <content name="groupName">Metabolic Problems</content>
    <content name="groupName"><span class="qt0">Diabetes Mellitus</span></content>
    <content name="snippet">
    <span class="qt0">Diabetes</span> is a disease in which your blood glucose, or blood sugar, levels are too high. Glucose comes from the foods you eat. Insulin is a hormone that helps ...
    </content>
    </document>
    </list>
    </nlmSearchResult>

How would I build an XLST to select the document URL and the content name="title" there. I don't dabble too much in XLST, and most XML I have done this for has been laid out nice and neat where it's like:
    <Results>
      <document>
        <url>http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/diabetes.html</url>
        <title>Diabetes</title>
      </document>
    </Results>

bowen on
  • Options
    Who the fuck designs shitty XML like this??!

• Options
    <?xml version ="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform">

<xsl:template match="/">
    		<html>
    		<body>
    			<h2>Search Results</h2>
    			<table border="1">
    				<tr style="background-color:#c9d6d1;">
    					<th>Title</th>
    					<th>Link</th>
    				</tr>
    				<xsl:for-each select="nlmSearchResult/list/document">
    				<tr>
    					<td><xsl:value-of select="content"/></td>
    					<td><xsl:value-of select="@url"/></td>
    				</tr>
    				</xsl:for-each>
    			</table>
    		</body>
    		</html>
    	</xsl:template>
    </xsl:stylesheet>

This is what I got for my XSLT but holy fuck is that grade-A bullshit.

• Options
    Infidel wrote: »

Oh speaking of Tablix. How does one add additional layers of grouping? If you create the report using the wizard initially, it adds the drill-downs and detail rows and such, and I've never been able to manually add more row groups that nest in the same way. It always makes the groups outside the other group, or makes it span the row weirdly and it can't be part of a group as well as a detail row or whatever. I just want a "we need to go deeper button".

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    obviously the @ in the code is throwing off some parsing and it put a semi colon in there.

• Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    As to new things in the last 24 months? Hm. For me that's been more working with more visible websites which actually see traffic and learning to write and deploy them in scalable ways. Lots of work with Django related tools and learning to make better use of them, particularly Django REST Framework and GeoDjango and PostGIS.

Hey, I also did quiet a bit of work with PostGIS! It's very good and performs great! Of course, PHP's support is a pile of shit and I guess Django has that easily beat, but using it with a geoserver/openlayers setup was a lot of fun!
    Well, in past year, I've gone from being a guy who'd taken a bunch of CS courses, but hadn't really done much real world programming, to being an actual developer. So I've worked on ASP.NET and WPF and a few different SQL reporting tools, none of which I'd ever done before.

Great to hear;o)

Learned SQLite, which is not nearly as complex as traditional database languages but I think is still pretty applicable across the board for the most part! Also took a dip into kernel modules, embedded Linux, and interviewed at both Google and Apple which has taught me a lot about how I need to continually brush up on basic fundamentals.

We recently evaluated SQLite as part of a desktop application, but still went with Postgres in the end. I can definitely see constraints where SQLite may be a better choice though!

Mostly getting more experience with Oracle/PLSQL and Crystal Reports, since two major projects have been on that stack instead of our usual Microsoft/SSRS one.

A lot of customers migrating to one of our products come from Crystal Reports. I'm always confused by the popularity of it, because it seems to me that a vast majority of CR users in our field, don't require anything near as powerful as that and instead use it to generate the same simple report again and again month after month, year after year. I can see how that could be different in the medical data world.

zeeny on
  • Options

Oh speaking of Tablix. How does one add additional layers of grouping? If you create the report using the wizard initially, it adds the drill-downs and detail rows and such, and I've never been able to manually add more row groups that nest in the same way. It always makes the groups outside the other group, or makes it span the row weirdly and it can't be part of a group as well as a detail row or whatever. I just want a "we need to go deeper button".

Are you looking at the Grouping Window? You can add all sorts of row and column groups, parent and children.

RowGroups.png

I recommend turning on Advanced Mode, it then shows you the actual rows and columns and lets you tweak some extra behaviour (mostly useful around page formatting).

RowGroupsAdvanced.png

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Your images have been broken for me all day today mang.

• Options
    Yeah, just gave PAdev a kick, should work now.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Yup there it goes, yay.

• Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    I graduate in about eight weeks, so my "last 2 years" amounts to "learn all the things". March of 2013, I was just getting hands on with C and fighting the segfaults.
    LD50 wrote: »
    You might find this interesting if you didn't see it on redit already: Chrome for Android dev looks at javascript funtimes on poopy websites!

Jeez, and this guy is fixing their crappy Javascript for them for free? He should at least demand a gift basket.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options

Are you looking at the Grouping Window? You can add all sorts of row and column groups, parent and children.

RowGroups.png

I recommend turning on Advanced Mode, it then shows you the actual rows and columns and lets you tweak some extra behaviour (mostly useful around page formatting).

RowGroupsAdvanced.png

Hmmm maybe advanced mode is what I need. I'd tried from the grouping window before back when I initially was working on these reports (months ago) and between that and setting the hidden properties and expressions I managed to approximate what I wanted but never quite match what the wizard creates by default. Didn't even realize there was an advanced mode.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MySQL, I'm about to cut you to fucking death.

Don't give me a foreign key error when the script worked 100% yesterday.

• Options
    MySQL really needs to get smarter with their errors, "Hey fuckstache, remove that superfluous comma"

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Documenting your design doesn't do much good when other people don't bother to read it (and ignore the 3 meetings about it) and then you have to rip everything out because their group makes way more money than yours.

/stabs

a5ehren on
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    MySQL really needs to get smarter with their errors, "Hey fuckstache, remove that superfluous comma"
    My personal "favorites" are the error messages the SAP WebIntelligence SQL thing generates.
    They're all things like "A filter parameter is incorrect." "A table by that name does not exist."
    What parameter? What table?
    Obviously you know which one you're talking about since you found it, maybe you could share?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I think the MySQL engine in particular needs to be smarter about commas.

Oh hey, that's an extra comma, there's nothing after it, the table declaration ends... maybe it was by error, who cares, NO FUCK YOU YOU MEANT SOMETHING THERE DIDN'T YOU I'M GONNA CRASH SO HARD MAN

• Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    I've been handed a project that involved receiving, sending, storing, and manipulating XML. The best part is that I don't have to worry about large amounts of work being done in horribly outdated languages so I can actually use best practices and proper tools!

Then it dawned on me that for all the years and dozens of projects involving XML, I have no idea what proper tools and best practices are. This could be a problem.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    an_alt wrote: »
    I've been handed a project that involved receiving, sending, storing, and manipulating XML. The best part is that I don't have to worry about large amounts of work being done in horribly outdated languages so I can actually use best practices and proper tools!

Then it dawned on me that for all the years and dozens of projects involving XML, I have no idea what proper tools and best practices are. This could be a problem.

The proper tool is the delete button. The best practice is to highlight as much as possible at once before hitting delete.

This discussion has been closed.