As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

If you die trying, climb a pile of corpses. [Oreshika]

PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
Five treasures are stolen. Five festivals rendered pointless.
Without celebrations, the gods are cranky. To appease them, the clan tasked with guarding the treasures are sacrificed, but the gods, more interested in getting their festivals back, revive the victims.
Though it seems that they have all been cursed with short lives and sterility, as if somebody anticipated the resurrection.

Now, recover the treasures, restore your honour, exact revenge, and try to break the curses to reclaim the lifespans that were taken from you. You can't do it alone. When you fall, your children, and your children's children, must step over your dead body and continue the fight.

OreshikaTainted-Bloodlines1.jpg

maxresdefault_thumb.jpg

tumblr_nk17jzOqVo1qzp9weo2_500.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWVf0h7PaoE

First rule of Oreshika: Weasels are very informative, but don't let them spend all of your money.

The basic idea is to improve your town and breed your clan to make each generation more successful than the last. The year progresses as you take various actions that advance time by one month. Breeding advances time, visiting another player's region advances time, and you can spend multiple months in a labyrinth if you want. You can easily retreat at the end of any month, though.
In a labyrinth, a month is converted to about five minutes of real time. Time stops when menu-things are open. The labyrinths are large, and to reach farther in you can run past enemies. Mind your stamina while sprinting, it is super important because you can work people to death. In combat, time stops, so take your time, but each turn has a time-cost, so make it count. Fortunately, battles end immediately if you kill the enemy leader instead of grinding on the less important ones. Any battle can be ended by hitting the leader hard enough and fast enough. This also stops them from running away with all the money and loot.
Basically, enemies don't like to fight alone, or without a leader.
The game has no hard timelimit. If you do miss something one year, you'll always get another chance next year.
Longevity beyond 24 months will be rare, but there are countless opportunites to cut life short.

Oreshika-+Tainted+Bloodlines_04.jpg

How to start:
You start the game by creating a character. Traits of the appearance are heritable, but expect some dramatic changes anyway. There are recessive traits, so it's not easily predictable. The personal name of this character, the post-resurrection first head of the family, will keep coming up, so it should be a name you're fine with seeing often.
You then choose three classes for the created character and two siblings. You will need to unlock all other classes by finding manuals. You can actually reroll the appearances of the two siblings by saying that you want to remake your own face, then backing out or confirming it as it is.
Difficulty-modes are generally well explained, and you can change them later, but here a few pointers: The passage of time seems to mainly affect the timecost of battle-turns, what isn't explained is that the difficulty-modes Keen and Fortunate also improve genetic inheritance a great deal, and at the time of typing this, no particular difference between Keen and Fortunate has been discovered. "Stamina" means HP for enemies. It's because your own characters have a more complex healthsystem with a more important bar protected by the stamina-bar.

Other mechanics:
You can invest in your town's facilities. There are 128 plots of land, and raising one facility-type to level 10 costs all 128 plots. An even spread lands at around level 7 for all facilities. You need at least one plot to have a facility at all. What each level actually achieves is irregular, so some may not be worth raising beyond a specific level with a specific benefit.
Every level in armour-shops or weapon-shops allows you to place one order for heirlooms, which I'll get to in the next few paragraphs. You can order multiple of the same kind at a time if you have appropriate clan-members, but then the craftsman leaves until you upgrade your facilities again.
There are natural disasters, but don't cry if a weaponshop is destroyed, lowering the facility-level. It's just another chance to invite a craftsman! The only problem is that investing is very costly.
Honouring a deity of an appropriate element makes disasters less likely. They're seasonal, except for earthquakes.

Gods can get around your sterility-curse, so they are your main opportunity to produce heirs. They can also do other, minor things to help you, on a rare whim.
What you need to know about the coloured gene-bars is that longer is better. There isn't much you can do to mess it up.

Heirlooms are weapons and armour that are tailored to specific individuals, and can be passed down once they have died. Whenever a character levels up equipped with an heirloom, the heirloom also levels up. It can gain special properties, up to four of them, too. They vary by item even among the same type, so you can get an amazing combination, or merely a decent one, but all heirlooms can amass raw power over time. Ordering one for a weak character is much cheaper than ordering one for a strong character. These things put together make a very strong argument for getting your hands on one or two, by upgrading the relevant shops, as soon as possible. Since they all become strong, a weapon that hits many enemies, such as a fan, can be very useful, but don't underestimate what some simple armour can do for you.
You also get to name your heirlooms, and the weapons have random colours and aesthetic parts.

By sharing QR-codes, other people's heirlooms can be bought in your shops, and you can register other people's characters as candidates for adoption, mercenary-work, or even bethrothal as the sterility-curse can circumvent itself. You can also visit another player's region via PSN, which allows you to use the facilities of their towns, including currently present craftsmen, and register their characters without the use of QR-codes. A friendly auto-battle allows you to win their family-crest, which is only for the sake of collection and bragging-rights. These things don't cost a month, but the month is lost when you return home, so you might as well check out their local labyrinths while you're in the neighbourhood. They may have started with a different set of places than you.

When you have done something like adopting from another player's clan, you can receive news of eachother's notable events and send eachother sympathy-flowers. I haven't figured out how it works in practice.
You can easily find people with PSN-names, and even more easily if you're already PSN-friends.

If somebody else wants to set up google-docs or add anything, I could insert that stuff here.

Japanese wikis:
http://wiki.dengekionline.com/oreshika2
http://wikinavi.net/oreshika2/

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I played this up until the FIRST fight, and I'm already in love.
    I actually whatched the whole intro video and loved it. Clan Tokugawa will have its vengeance!

Also thanks to @Magic Pink for helping me get this game, much loves to you!

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    My first leader's younger brother was named successor. The first's son was way too young, and the brother was always very competent. But he's not getting any younger, so he'll teach his daughter as much as possible while there's time. And he's spoken with some craftsmen, so his achievements won't end any time soon.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Adoption is pretty cool. That person is added to the familytree under the clan's head. I suspected as much, but I thought they might be placed off to the side or something.

And I was off about how craftsmen work because I have been getting by on bare minimum of members before. When you have another member of the appropriate class, the option to order another heirloom is still there. It seemingly disappeared because there was nobody left to use it for.

PLA on
  • Options
    nefyavenefyave Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    All the heirloom weapons I can order currently are way worse then what I have equipped. Like a 100 attack less. Does this change at all or do I just have to struggle a bit to get it better?

nefyave on
    bannerpa.jpg
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I have an heirloom breastplate that keeps rising in defense after every encounter, so I assume the weapons work the same way. Stick with it, and it should become amazing.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Heirlooms are for the long run. Gaining levels with them equipped boosts their stats amongst other things. I find that some stat gains are enough to get over the initial hill when you're starting off with new heirlooms.

Anyhow, I'm a little miffed that the facilities have a shared level pool. Which I suppose makes sense if the aim is to have people use each other to cover their deficiencies but my self-sustainability instincts are screaming at it.
    I think my first eugenics project would be to create a massive mind focused Dancer to get early access to all the skills I've been picking up. Currently most of my guys can't use the 2nd level attack spells because they don't have the stats, which is fair enough seeing how they're 2nd gen and I've yet to start focused breeding programmes.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    Heirlooms are the endgame-equipment. They just take time to get there.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    holy crap I just had the ugliest baby

"Congrats, Hurpaderpa-chan can finally join your team!"

I would rather bury him in an unmarked grave thanks

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    I'm thinking of just restarting the game right now. I'm not really happy with the way the clan is progressing. they're all too normal, other than the fact that most of them have potato faces.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    nefyavenefyave Registered User regular
    Kazuhiro my 23 month old Wrecker just died... Luckily she's got two children who will be just as awesome. This game is amazing.

bannerpa.jpg
  • Options
    I'm currently sailing around just looking at other people's places. It's actually pretty easy to find good craftsmen.
    My adopted character is currently the oldest member of the family, and the leader, and has a daughter of her own.
    Saburou's dry, easygoing final words seemed to suit him so well.
    I'm playing slow, because there's a lot to take in.

I also beat a giant enemy crab up so hard that I got about ten thousand devotion-points. Just an uncle & nephew team. Though the nephew tagged in his divine mother for the People's Elbow.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Wha?

The god/goddess parent can show up in battle?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Wha?

The god/goddess parent can show up in battle?

Randomly for buffs, with a Summoning Orb for precision.
    They're more likely to show up without invitation if you make offerings.

I think Kochin tells you about it.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    The earlier you can buy an heirloom, the better. And if you let Kochin make the decisions, make sure she doesn't equip other equipment to your people.

Also <3 this thread.

Renzo on
  • Options
    Mm, you should listen to Kochin, and then stop her from going wild.

• Options
    TulabelleTulabelle Registered User regular
    I haven't had a chance to really dig in as I'm trying to finish P4G, but I really liked what I've seen of this through a couple of dungeon runs. A lot I don't understand, but the art is awesome and I can see this being a long play when I finally get around to devoting some time to it!

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Don't feel pressured to buy the best gods you can afford. Make sure to keep some devotion in the hopper for later unions.

And along those lines, try to get some downtime between births. It'll keep you from having to blow a ton of devotion all at once, and you'll be less likely to have a handful of deaths from old age back to back to back.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Yeah, you don't want too many old people. Balance the agebrackets so people don't die at the same time.

And remember that you can use money instead of devotion if you register a few people from other regions. But also that the cheap gods are perfectly serviceable.

I just watched the Ryuou-family body the whole spring-contest. Not in the same league.

Edit: Yo, the slots during a red flame somehow lit another red flame. It was crazy.
    And Nueko seems mad overpowered. Her growth is through the roof.

Edit: Garden of Purrfection apparently has a room with many coloured keys. To get there, you need a consumable tag that opens doors. General stores sell a lot of weird junk.

Seems like 16 is the limit of registered characters for adoption/bethrothal. The oldest one on the list is then replaced.

Edit: I just got a character who looks exactly like his grandfather.

Btw, I should mention that while bethrothals are limited to one per month, just like the Rite of Union, it doesn't advance time, so it's possible to do a Rite the same month. I would still recommend spacing it out a bit more than that, but the two will end up with slightly different ages because the bethrothal isn't delayed by one month.

Edit: At fifth level, my general stores stock Chimes of Victory, which double devotion for one battle.
    Overall, I'm feeling moderately prosperous at this point, and not overly concerned with any specific shortages. Still missing some trade-manuals, though.

Oh, maybe I should have mentioned this much sooner, but green loot isn't actually on slot-reels. It's a trick. You can only get them with certainty, by fulfilling conditions, and not randomly. Each one has up to four independent ways to unlock, and one of them is always "kill a bunch of X", so it's not necessarily complicated.

Edit: And I just heard about bequeathing money-items like tea-sets to restore loyalty. Beating onigami works pretty well, though.

Edit: Mind that many spells have separate functions in battle and out of battle. For example, Stimulant will make you act earlier in battle, and move faster out of battle. Like you really fucking book it. Super useful.

PLA on
  • Options
    Oh, I guess the tips would be more useful with a notification.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    What system is this for? It sounds awesome.

• Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    Vita and Playstation TV

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    OMG PUG

• Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    I'm hitting a wall for the third festival, the two-headed snake. Suddenly I can't kill any of the gods anymore, and they're two-shotting my clan members. I wonder if it's due to equipment (I'm trying to level my heirlooms) or stats. Guess it's time to start making stronger babies with stronger gods!

• Options
    edited March 2015
    I did the third boss on the first try, but I spent long times in that fight just healing and casting Backs to the Wall. Actually ran out of useful amounts of TP.

It's at a point in the game where it becomes obvious that you're expected to pass on bosses for a year or two before dealing with them.
    Most reliable damage is joint spellcasting, but crits can be amazing when they happen. I think I'm missing something on how it's calculated, because I remember jumping from 30 to 200 at least once.

Anyway, boss-spoilers.
    Normally I would try to kill one of them fast, but because my best available spells at the time hit both, shrug I guess.

PLA on
  • Options
    Somebody already made a calculator for the chance of twins. http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/685564-oreshika-tainted-bloodlines/71370672

Oh, and the Wooden Tags are key-items. I just jumped to "consumable" when I found it in the general store. Though the only real difference is under which tab they'll be sorted.

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    ... I never knew twins were a thing. I also thought the gender was totally random. Now, I can properly plan my clan's eugenics! The question is do I want to terminate the other lines I have going and just use the 'main' branch which has created a monster demi-god of a 3rd gen? (Seriously, the elemental affinities rival Nueko!)

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    I have fiftythousand leftover devotion-points because I'm using all sorts of minor gods and bethrothals that look kind of neat.

• Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    Hey, I haven't gotten very far in so I may just not be to the part yet but - how do adoptions and stuff work? Is this a friends list thing?

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Elin wrote: »
    Hey, I haven't gotten very far in so I may just not be to the part yet but - how do adoptions and stuff work? Is this a friends list thing?

It's in the Contact-section of the house-menu. You register a character to a list, then choose to adopt, betroth or hire. Registration is done either by visiting another player's house (becomes available after a little progress and uses PSN) or by scanning a QR-code. To share your own QR-codes, look for the option on a character's or item's detailed information-screen, and make a screenshot.

Edit: lol, a clan-head fell in love with Seimei.

PLA on
  • Options
    Do you want lots of money? Gather the courage to visit the toughest regions you can find, and run away from enemies like a coward. If you're lucky, the treasurechests will contain money.

• Options
    Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    This game has the fastest combat I've ever seen. I can see rabbit holes of depth if I let them suck me in.

• Options
    Heirloom-shotguns are so nice. Hitting the leader is equally fast, but doing the same thing to all enemies is impressive.

Changing the precepts from time to time can be a good idea. It seems to switch up the scrolls Kouchin will help you locate.

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    This game has the fastest combat I've ever seen. I can see rabbit holes of depth if I let them suck me in.

I can see Suikoden II beating it in terms of speed with JRPG combat, but that's not bad company to be hanging with at the top.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I have been playing this. It is basically Crusader Kings 2's genealogy system matched to Persona dungeons, except you aren't getting fatigued by running around the same dungeon for hours, as you are encouraged to play in small chunks and pop into different environments all willy nilly.

The end of a month or two is super rewarding and feels like opening a treasure chest, so I don't even mind the timer. In fact, without the timer I could see myself lingering around every wall searching for secrets. The pace is such that my OCD nature never kicks in, and I have a lot of fun instead. There's also a slot machine gamble mechanic before every battle that activates a specific pleasure center in my brain.

Oreshika is pretty anime, but the content feels more like a Princess Mononoke, than some of the junk out there designed solely to brazenly titillate the male gaze.
    That said, the character designs of the gods alternate between modestly dressed badasses, and impossibly shaped bikini wearers. On the other hand, the player characters are all family and basically your children, so there isn't really a pervy presentation, or an expectation for the game to present them as such.

The same (not shitty anime) quality comment applies to the dialog, as I haven't seen time wasted by folks standing around whining about existence and adopting phrases you'd only hear spoken either by inmates in an insane asylum, or a character in a Square Enix JRPG. Generally if someone has something to say, it's world building, or because someone is on their deathbed. It's almost always short and sweet.

There really isn't a deadline to progress the story. (just do the thing next year if you miss it) The mechanics that open up from the story are still really important to enjoying the game.
    Basically, you really want a home that can hold more than 6 characters.

This is a pretty good game for the vita! and there aren't a lot of those.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    and there aren't a lot of those.

Fdb4obI.jpg

• Options
    skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2015
    How do I give offerings to gods? I've bought a few but I don't know how to use them.

Also my eugenics program has hit a snag: some of my children are 600+ stamina ubermenschen

And some of them are 300 stamina weaklings. I have no idea how this happened!

skyknyt on
    Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • Options
    You do it at the Hall of Union.

• Options
    Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    Hey, if I do this Festival Contest thing, will it advance time?

• Options
    It will.

• Options
    skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Sometimes twins are the most inconvenient thing ever, and sometimes they're incredible.

That said, I now think I'm going to let one of my family lines die out because they haven't discovered any new secret arts in 3 generations, and they only had the one they were passing down to begin with.

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160