As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We're Back! Happy [Ghostbusters] 2 Day! (28th Anniversary June 16th)

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    One 8 pack?

But I was planning on buying like six 8 packs!

:rotate:

Well that'll last you to payday at least

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    M-TeeM-Tee Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Dunno if this has been discussed here or not, but back in February, Arne Niklas Jansson (an amazingly talented Swedish artist that posts a bunch of wildly detailed pitches or reimaginings of older franchises on his site), posted plans and sketches for a Pokemon-style game Ghostbusters game. (slightly NSFW for miniskirts, as this artist is a bit more cheesecake than is generally in taste here.)

Gfx%20mockup%202.gif

Includes some pretty rad drawings and sketches, such as possibly my favorite rendition of Gozer and a Hound.

Movie.jpg

M-Tee on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Give those busters some pants/tights and we'll talk. Those aren't skirts, they're frilly belts!

The rest of the art is cool, though!

• Options
    Good news! Our car is in place and has been spotted at MomoCon!
    kWznkY2l.jpg
    Bad news! Now we get to deal with these trash piles:
    3pNHIWgl.jpg?1

Why to Peckers gotta Peck?

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    ...Why would they be so mad about your car? Is it based on the one from the new movie, or something?

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Wait. Does yours not have the side bumpers that cut across the logo on the movie car? You fixed the one annoying thing to me!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Forgot Momocon was even going on

Went last year to see some friends who were selling in the dealer's area and it was a pretty tiny con

• Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    ...Why would they be so mad about your car? Is it based on the one from the new movie, or something?

It's a hybrid. It has the old logo placement, no horizontal lines and some roof-rack elements from the classic Ecto-1 and Ecto-1A but the model is a mid-80s hearse so we borrowed the red roof, red wheels and half-moon hubcaps from the GB16 Ecto-1.

When it's finished, if we follow our original plans, we'll have a push-bar like the one on the Extreme Ghostbusters Ecto-1 as well (a 70s-styled hearse).

So yeah, some boys are real sour about it looking like the reboot car and feel like that's justifiable cause for advocating vandalism and destruction of property instead of admiring the dedication it took to restore and gussy-up a 31-year-old service vehicle.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    Crippl3 wrote: »

It's a hybrid. It has the old logo placement, no horizontal lines and some roof-rack elements from the classic Ecto-1 and Ecto-1A but the model is a mid-80s hearse so we borrowed the red roof, red wheels and half-moon hubcaps from the GB16 Ecto-1.

When it's finished, if we follow our original plans, we'll have a push-bar like the one on the Extreme Ghostbusters Ecto-1 as well (a 70s-styled hearse).

So yeah, some boys are real sour about it looking like the reboot car and feel like that's justifiable cause for advocating vandalism and destruction of property instead of admiring the dedication it took to restore and gussy-up a 31-year-old service vehicle.

Well for the record, I personally think it's real neat that you're blending elements of the various incarnations of the car and think that it's a fine tribute.

Also those other people are butts, and that's not my opinion that's verifiable fact.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Shots of the car at the convention:
    8xhxxmhe4dgq.jpg
    nswoo38mj5y9.jpg
    6869qd6mztbq.jpg

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Holtzmann is a pretty good name for the scientist.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I should probably post this here too

Tony Zhou (maker of the excellent Every Frame A Painting video series) wrote a thing about editing trailers for comedy and why the UK GB trailer is so much better than the US one

• Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I wore my flightsuit at an event for the first time the other day.

Within half an hour a guy was getting heated towards me about the new trailer. I'm 'not a real fan' apparently.

Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Mr Bubbles wrote: »

Within half an hour a guy was getting heated towards me about the new trailer. I'm 'not a real fan' apparently.

fuck him

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

fuck him

I wish I could agree with this more than once.

Don't hate on other folks for what movies they like. It is fine too be skeptical of the new movie as long as you aren't pushy about it or just hating on it because of the women in the cast.

It is really making me sad that this shit is doing this to the Ghostbusters Fandom. I always appreciated the buster Fandom from a distance and it is really bumming me out.

• Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    Although my outfit was ON POINT

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm sure there are some people who are legitimately not interested in the movie for real reasons.

But damned if I can't tell them apart from the people are just saying that but are upset because it's all women.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »
    I'm sure there are some people who are legitimately not interested in the movie for real reasons.

But damned if I can't tell them apart from the people are just saying that but are upset because it's all women.

Yeah. I'm not in any way interested in talking about the new movie on the Internet with anyone I don't know. I've basically reverted to assuming that anyone not interested is a misogynist wanker - which is entirely unfair, as there's every reason to not necessarily like the trailers. But man, how about just watching the movie and then forming an honest opinion, or just ignoring that it exists if it really bothers you that much?

I vaguely miss growing up in an environment where headbutting someone was a valid expression of disagreement (don't headbutt anyone, please. It's rarely a good solution, and I don't actually miss that).

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Although my outfit was ON POINT

all that matters

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Final tally for the day:
    About six people asked me/us what we felt about the new movie and were happy to hear we were looking forward to it rather than being outraged like the fans they heard about online or in TV or wherever.

One young man said he had the same concerns as James Rolfe (I assume other than "make ad revenue by validating nerd rage") but was seeing it opening night anyway and asked where we'd be. This tickled me.

One fella in no costume save a long, black wig ran up and "fake-shouted" (in regular speaking volume) "This movie is good suck!" and ran off.

One other gentleman who was dressed as some kind of carnivale magician with a skull mask asked in hushed, mused tones "How much they paying you to stand in front of that crappy poster?"
    To which I replied "Get out of here."

Lastly, about 600-odd people were excited to see the car and take photos with us and took some free posters Sony gave us. It seemed a good ratio of positive to negative.

The Sony rep was super happy. I'm exhausted. It was a good day.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    He's a time traveler, sent from the future to do ... something? Not much by the looks of it.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    maybe they don't understand the difference between movie trailers and movies. The trailer starts playing and they're like "Oh, I guess I'm seeing ghostbusters today. I'm glad they added batman and superman but these time ghosts just aren't the same"

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Even if the dude wasn't spinning bullshit the only movie I can justify calling judgement on within the first five minutes would be The Last Airbender.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    In new developments, there's a new UK trailer out that features the ghost trap and the Dan Aykroyd cameo.

Also the Pricechopper in Milford, Massachusetts just broke street date and are selling Ecto-Cooler.
    Check your local shops!

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    The Geek wrote: »

Not your fault. Both sides have made this about one issue and it effects any actual conversations
    Sonys been pretty great lumping any negative opinions in with sexism and having anyone involved with the movie dismiss negative views as sexism regardless of content. (IeThe AVGN /Patton Oswalt debacle)
    On the other side MRAs will attach themselves to anything like a leech if they can spout their vitriol

King Riptor on
  • Options
    Went on a Sunday drive earlier. Checked 5 stores for early ecto cooler.

No luck.

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    efffffffff the haters, movie looks good

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I like Ghostbusters 2 and the Robocop remake, but other than those points I pretty much agree with everything Bob said there, which is usually not the case.

The UK Trailer was pretty good, but aside from that everything i've seen has been mediocre at best, and i'm not a fan of Kristen Wiig in general. I know Melissa McCarthy can be brilliant though so there's definitely potential for it to work, which is why it would suck if it doesn't. That's what I dislike most about this whole thing. If it does turn out to be a bad movie it'll probably be because of bad writing, directing, or editing, but all the people who decided to hate it from moment 1 will feel vindicated and blame the one thing that isn't responsible- the acting talent. And that sucks.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Even the near-universal acclaim for Fury Road didn't prevent misogynist assholes from whining about it. Even if GB16 is absolutely brilliant, I don't see the sexist attitudes being shut down. They've already made up their minds.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular

Is he from Boston or something?

That's not the accent he has normally in his videos

• Options
    Joolander wrote: »

Is he from Boston or something?

That's not the accent he has normally in his videos

I thought the exact same thing. I wouldn't be surprised if he's been trying to speak in a more "generic" TV host style accent for most of his works.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    he is from boston, and he actually went to school for radio or something and claims there they teach you to use a midwestern accent for voice work because reasons.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    He's definitely from Boston; he just usually talks in his "radio voice"

• Options
    ImperatorXXVImperatorXXV Registered User regular
    I don't hate the prospect of this movie and I 100% definitely don't hate an all Female Ghostbusters team. In fact I was exciting for this movie! But all the trailers have fallen pretty flat for me and I'll be skipping on it unless it gets some pretty rave reviews from sources I tend to agree with. Today when someone asked for my opinion and I shared just such a sentiment, I was accused of being all sorts of nasty things. Was weird since I calmly just said "yeah the trailers didn't do much for me," and it turned into a gender politics thing. I'm thinking I'll just avoid talking about this movie in person for a while. Weirded me out.

r7r7a0.gif
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    I don't hate the prospect of this movie and I 100% definitely don't hate an all Female Ghostbusters team. In fact I was exciting for this movie! But all the trailers have fallen pretty flat for me and I'll be skipping on it unless it gets some pretty rave reviews from sources I tend to agree with. Today when someone asked for my opinion and I shared just such a sentiment, I was accused of being all sorts of nasty things. Was weird since I calmly just said "yeah the trailers didn't do much for me," and it turned into a gender politics thing. I'm thinking I'll just avoid talking about this movie in person for a while. Weirded me out.

Yeah, that seems all that people see criticism of this movie as.

I don't feel exactly comfortable equalizing this movie with gender equality, but I sometimes have the feeling like this is done also for marketing purposes, which irks me, mildly said.

Disliking a comedy trailer because it wasn't funny is not something that far out, I think.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    what "marketing purposes"? how many female-led action comedies do you see a year, exactly?

and even if it was purely a marketing choice, who fuckin cares? it's still doing something 90% of other movies don't, so why would it matter that it's "a marketing stunt"?

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    nobody's really saying that you have to like this movie because it has women in it, but the loudest voices against it have been and will probably remain that of a bunch of shithead misogynists who have effectively ruined any chance of a decent conversation about how good the movie actually is

• Options
    what "marketing purposes"? how many female-led action comedies do you see a year, exactly?

and even if it was purely a marketing choice, who fuckin cares? it's still doing something 90% of other movies don't, so why would it matter that it's "a marketing stunt"?

Because Sony is exploiting a social progress movement to protect itself from negative press.

This discussion has been closed.