As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Some help understanding small business networking/security

augustaugust where you come from is goneRegistered User regular
Hey guys -

I've been working at a small café for some time and have some concerns about our current setup while also seeing as it an opportunity to learn some new skills.

We have Verizon FIOS and contract out to a third party to do support and I'm assuming they also handle our credit card and gift card transactions. We have a single POS terminal - an XP machine with a touchscreen running Dinerware. It sits behind a big blue slab of a Netgear firewall/VPN which the connects to Verizon's modem. My immediate concern is the Windows 7 pc we have in the basement - it's not behind the firewall, and our stocking manager does all her ordering from it and there's probably other sensitive information there that we want to keep safe. Could this machine be vulnerable to external threats as well as to our café customers using our wi-fi?

It's entirely possible that our contractor and the Verizon techs who installed our service have everything under control but I'd like to understand every layer of our networking setup - I'm competent enough to buy a router plug it in and change up the default passwords on it but I don't know anything about the proper use and operation of hardware firewalls or how small businesses protect themselves against possible bad actors while simultaneously offering free wifi to customers.

Any help would be appreciated, or a point in the right direction!

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    august wrote: »
    Hey guys -

I've been working at a small café for some time and have some concerns about our current setup while also seeing as it an opportunity to learn some new skills.

We have Verizon FIOS and contract out to a third party to do support and I'm assuming they also handle our credit card and gift card transactions. We have a single POS terminal - an XP machine with a touchscreen running Dinerware. It sits behind a big blue slab of a Netgear firewall/VPN which the connects to Verizon's modem. My immediate concern is the Windows 7 pc we have in the basement - it's not behind the firewall, and our stocking manager does all her ordering from it and there's probably other sensitive information there that we want to keep safe.

Just so I'm understanding...
    {FIOS Modem}<----->{Netgear Firewall}<----->{POS Terminal}

?

And your Win 7 pc is a direct connect to... the FIOS modem?
    Could this machine be vulnerable to external threats as well as to our café customers using our wi-fi?

Completely depends on where it resides within your network architecture, as well as where your wifi device is.
    It's entirely possible that our contractor and the Verizon techs who installed our service have everything under control but I'd like to understand every layer of our networking setup - I'm competent enough to buy a router plug it in and change up the default passwords on it but I don't know anything about the proper use and operation of hardware firewalls or how small businesses protect themselves against possible bad actors while simultaneously offering free wifi to customers.

Any help would be appreciated, or a point in the right direction!

If I'm generally understanding your setup correctly, you should be able to put all your business devices in your existing netgear firewall, and then have your wireless access device directly connected to the FIOS modem. That would, broadly, keep your business and customer wifi traffic segregated.
    [Internet]
        /\
         |
        \/
    [FIOS Modem]<----->[Netgear Firewall]<----->[POS Terminal]
        /\                       /\
        |                         |
        \/                       \/
    [Wifi Access]          [Win 7 PC]

Clear as mud?

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    We also have a thread for SysAdmins that's full of smarty pantses that you can bounce follow-up questions off, as well.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    If I recall correctly (not at work atm) we have a fios modem which feeds into the Verizon provided wireless router. The router provides wifi and the Windows 7 pc connects to it as well. The firewall sits between the router and the POS terminal.

• Options
    Note I will have to do some serious cable tugging/following to make sure I'm right on that. So it may not be as apocalypticaly insecure as I have perhaps made it sound.

• Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    Just at a high level, your business traffic and your "guest traffic" (which in this case would be the WiFi your customers use) should always be 100% segregated. That is, the guests on your WiFi should never be able to be able to reach your Win7 PC. Like, at all. Depending on how this is set up, it sounds like that may be possible today. The setup that Cog drew out there is ideal -- all of your business equipment (so the POS terminal and the Win7 PC) should ideally be sitting behind the firewall. Now, it may be possible that they've segregated them without the use of the firewall using some other method on, say, the FiOS router. You should certainly be able to do something with that to create a sufficiently secure setup as far as your internal network goes.

The biggest risk, though, is really how much the PC is exposed to the Internet. You should have some degree of built-in "security" being behind the FiOS router. The router, either by virtue of NAT or a very basic firewall, should stop connections being initiated to your PC from the outside (which should really never happen for what you're using the PC for -- your PC should always be the one initiating connections to the outside). For most use cases, this security as well as a firewall/AV solution on the local PC is sufficient as long as the user doesn't do anything stupid. Whether or not I would feel this setup is sufficient is entirely dependent on the sorts of things stored on that PC.

• Options
    What router settings should I be looking at to determine if traffic is segregated?

I was worried that the router might have some sort of default password but I see that there's a nicely random password printed on it. Right now I'm trying to determine where all the outgoings cables are headed - the one to the VPN is obvious but there are two cables headed through holes. One should be to the basement pc but the other I have no idea what its purpose might be.

The basement PC's wired connection is set to Public and it has MSE running. I'd like to put it behind the VPN but I also want to make sure that when I do so I don't create some sort of conflict with our POS system - if I have to make an emergency call to our contractor to get our register working it could cost my boss money.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Before touching that firewall, I'd consult the support company. They should be able to provide their documentation or at least an email explaining what's what.

Since the only thing on the firewall is a POS system, it's not unlikely that the device has been locked down to only allow payment processing traffic and not general internet access. If that is not the case, consider doing so since XP has reached end of life and is not receiving security updates from Microsoft any more. That means it is no longer PCI compliant.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    The easiest way to get an idea for how traffic is being handled would be to get the IP address of the POS system and the Win7 PC (ipconfig from the command prompt). Are they on the same subnet (ie does one have an address like 192.168.1.14 and the other 10.10.50.33 or are they similar except for the last numbers in the sequence)? Once you have those IPs, try to ping one from the other and vice versa. Try to ping them both from a wi-fi connected laptop.

• Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    Yeah, everything TL DR said will help answer the question of what is segregated from what...and I will double the "contact the support company" part. If the PC isn't behind the firewall today, just moving it behind the firewall will likely not produce the desired results as the firewall isn't configured to allow access for the PC.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I don't really feel comfortable leaving this thread open. Nowhere do you indicate you have permission to mess around with the business's setup from the owner OR the team doing your third-party support. We know absolutely zero about how that network and firewall are set up and you don't really either, and if you go messing around in there without knowing what you're doing you can make a big mess that your company will need to pay support to fix.

Leave it alone. If you really want to learn about networking go buy a router, a couple switches, and some books. Don't risk the setup of an actual functioning business for the sake of concerns that any even slightly competent network support person will have addressed at the time of installation.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
This discussion has been closed.