As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Infinite Crisis: It's a bird! It's a plane! No! ...it's a MOBA!

DrakeDrake Edgelord TrashBelow the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
edited April 2015 in Games and Technology
Infinite Crisis is freshly launched from beta and you can get it on Steam or as a seperate client from Infinite Crisis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp5XAzamk1o

It's pretty much a straight up MOBA and I'm not going to go into what that is here, but I will point out some differences from DOTA 2 and League of Legends. I have primarily a DOTA 2 background, and I'm a total noob with only a bit over 150 hours in the game. I think I played one match of LoL. So take that into consideration when I say that Infinite Crisis is more like LoL than DOTA. So I hear anyway. The big difference between IC and the two giants of the genre is the two lane map. The only lanes are on the map edges, leaving lots of room for jungle, which has led to a popular double jungler meta. In the top part of the map are three objectives that become capturable. Holding these Relay pads will get your team extra money and amp up your creeps. Hold two pads and you get elite creeps in the top lane. Hold all three (after the third becomes available) and you get elite creeps in both lanes. Also throughout the match a Doomsday Device spawns in the center of the map, a bit like Roshan from DOTA 2. Destroying the Doomsday Device leaves a Doomsday Trigger behind, which you can use to trigger a single orbital strike at a location. Very helpful for pushing down those pesky final towers or dominating a crucial teamfight. Matches are on the short side and tend to run about thirty minutes. I have seen them push fifty minutes on the long side, but it's not a common occurrence. There are currently thirty three heroes available. You can play as Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman of course, but the real fun is the Alternate World variations. You think Batman is a rough jungling assassin? You haven't seen Atomic Wonder Woman yet. The revving of her chainsaw is the sound of terror in the lanes.

For information there aren't a ton of resources available but Dawnbase is a pretty good start.

I'm really enjoying this thing even if it's not as mechanically tight as its older counterparts. It's still in a fun and playable place. Leveling and money is fast so games tend to come down to better coordination than straight outleveling. I've seen lots of teams come from behind in power by controlling objectives and split pushing lanes. The F2P aspects are about in line with what you expect in this kind of game. In game currency can buy heroes and gear with a little grind. Currently there are deals on two packs on Steam. Most notable is the Elite Pack which gets you all the heroes for about thirty bucks. In a bit the discount goes away and the pack goes up to about ninety bucks. After another bit it will disappear altogether. So if you are like me, and you dig MOBAS and love DC superheroes it's a pretty good buy.

Open the spoiler for some Champion profiles!

Sterica on

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    One thing that I'm really digging with IC is how your abilities have synergies. As an example, Arcane Supergirl's E is a ranged instant-cast fireball...but if you pair it with her W, it applies a 1-second stun effect. Personally, I've always had a soft spot for Zatanna, so I mostly play as her...but now I'm starting to branch out a bit to try out different characters (after I've got AS leveled up a bit, I plan on hitting up Katana next, followed by Cyborg).

Also, Drake, you left out two critical champions in IC: Krypto and Starro. Honestly, I can't wait to see an epic duel to the death between a dog with a cape and a giant starfish. My wallet is trembling with fear for what's to come...and it has been tempered with my LoL spending sprees. The rest of the Teen Titans, Ra's and Talia al-Ghul, Mad Hatter, Bane, Deathstroke, Power Girl...I can't wait for them all to get added. I think I'm gonna need a better paying career path >.<

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    Yeah I've been playing this for close to 2 years, I'm glad it hit Steam.

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    Same here (the glad about it coming to Steam). I would have been playing it for longer, but there was a problem with the non-Steam version that would cause the game to cause system performance to progressively deteriorate until my computer locked up to the point where I would have to hit the reset button (from game launch to a full lock would take between 20-30 seconds). For whatever reason, the Steam client or launch has fixed that issue.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Hmm, I'm going to give this a try. While I preferred how DotA's heroes were free and disliked having to purchase heroes in LoL, I think I can probably be convinced to buy the big character pack up front if it means I can play a Moba as the goddamn Batman.

I'm downloading the client on steam right now. I'm going to try out what is available for free first before I buy. I'm hoping I like it because BATMAN.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    Hmm, I'm going to give this a try. While I preferred how DotA's heroes were free and disliked having to purchase heroes in LoL, I think I can probably be convinced to buy the big character pack up front if it means I can play a Moba as the goddamn Batman.

I'm downloading the client on steam right now. I'm going to try out what is available for free first before I buy. I'm hoping I like it because BATMAN.

You also get Gaslight Batman for free when you complete the first tutorial mission. And, I'm not sure if this is for everybody or if it's randomized, but I noticed that Batman (regular, non-Gaslight) was a reward for logging in four or five days in a row (Joker looks to be the reward for a week of logins).

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    What a woman Wonder Woman
    What a woman Wonder Woman

Stop a bullet cold!
    Make the Axis fold!
    Change their minds and change the woooooorld!

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    We have a decent little group playing from the Adventure Team chat right now (well decent at beating computers anyway, lol)

some more good info

FREE HEROES
    For completing the tutorials you will unlock the following heroes (One for each of the various character types too):
    Gaslight Batman - Ranged/Hybrid focused Marksman (high damage basic attacks)
    Green Lantern - A Ranged/Power focused Blaster (focuses on damage from abilities)
    Wonder Woman - Melee/Power focused Enforcer (Tanks)
    Harley Quinn - Ranged/Power focused Controller (Support)
    Doomsday - Melee/Attack focused Bruiser (survivability and damage)

For completing 7 matches (even vs. AI) you unlock:
    Batman - A Melee/Attack focused Assassin character. (jump in a do a bunch of damage and get out)

For Day 7 Login Bonus you unlock:
    Joker - Ranged/Power Blaster

Also: Lex Luthor was officially confirmed today as the next hero. He is a Ranged Blaster character that summons Sentries which he can power up with his other abilities.

• Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    And here's the new skin for today. Desert Armor Batman:

19qmryi18jvb.jpg

I dig it, it's better than Batman eating dessert

8z8sj1lyst2w.png

• Options
    I like how his visor is bat shaped.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Well, I have broken from what I was planning on doing (level specific champs to rank 5 to unlock their stolen powers) and am taking a more scattershot approach. While I'm loving Katana (I'm going to have to get her geisha outfit), Cyborg is stealing the show (mostly due to his /dance).

By the way, if anybody wants to get in some bot matches, feel free to add me: Erlkonig (stupid IC...won't let me keep my umlaut >.< )

• Options
    Wonder Woman really is fun for flipping team fights. Lasso in, hit the ult to for the taunt which is a hella disrupt and forces all enemies in it's range to attack her with basic attacks while she armors up like woah. If your team is hip to it they can slaughter everyone quick while you bubble up and start laying down the AoE with Amazonian Prowess. Good times. If they aren't then just push lanes and try to lasso people trying to escape. That's also fun . She's a good anchor for leading attacks on Relays too.

• Options
    I want to see Two-face built around a coin flip mechanic

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options

Two Face's Coin actually used to be an item in IC. They took it out because it was way OP.

I'm going to stick with Atomic Wonder Woman for a bit because I learning jungling. She clears camps quick and her chainsaw ult strikes fear in people when you hear it coming.

• Options

Two Face's Coin actually used to be an item in IC. They took it out because it was way OP.

I'm going to stick with Atomic Wonder Woman for a bit because I learning jungling. She clears camps quick and her chainsaw ult strikes fear in people when you hear it coming.

I've been finding Katana is stupid good for jungling, too. Built in life steal from stacking her W charge? Yes please! Oh wait...things aren't dying fast enough? Stack her Q to boost her attack rating.

• Options
    Wonder Woman seems to synergize really well with her alternates too. I've laned with MWW a few times while playing Wondy and it was pretty great. Same with AWW jungling with Wondy in the bottom lane.

• Options
    So a few of use grouped up tonight into a five man. And got facerolled by some IC devs. Wasn't that something? :P

• Options
    edited April 2015
    At least I managed to get kills on 2 of them. lol

been playing around with a bunch of characters trying to get them to level 5.

Really liking Stargirl as a blaster. That laser beam is awesome.

Cyborg is really good, toss him in a lane with a good blaster or other damage dealer, and watch the enemies die.

Flash. I think Ive found my jungler.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I did Superman in some botmatches to see what his deal is. He seems like a jungling attack damage late game powerhouse but botmatches are over too fast to really get a feel for his power curve. He freaking destroys bots but then the bots are basically there as punching bags. Still he's got some interesting abilities and does some pretty great raw damage. His passive seems like it develops into some good late game defense. I think I'm going to take him into some real matches later and see what happens.

Drake on
  • Options
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Finished up the agonizingly long tutorial last night

Played a couple heroes across the five vs bot matches you have to do, and Atomic Green Lantern is feeling like a lot of fun so far

Maddoc on
  • Options
    I believe you can opt out of the tutorials but you probably want the unlocked champs you get. I appreciate that they are releasing with some intro tutorial stuff for the genre but yeah they could probably get the idea across a lot faster.

• Options
    I'd like to see if we can get more than 5 people together some night (preferably 8-10) and do some custom matches against each other to try stuff out. we can go as low as 6 (1 top, 1 bot, 1 jungle) but 8-10 would be ideal.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Pushing Shazam through the top lane with @ManetherenWolf on Flash was good times tonight. Shazam is a pretty sick tank. It's pretty good times parking in team fights with the lightning field on when your passive is active.

Also it feels really good when you can bail out a team mate. He's pretty good at that with his ult.

Drake on
  • Options
    it got to a point in that match where we had pushed all the way to their base, but the minions were halfway back, stuck fighting stuff. So I was literally running around by myself the last half helping minions, and recapping points while they were keeping the rest of their team occupied.

Also, dashing into a relay point as an enemy is trying to cap it, and launching Flash's Ult is hilarious. It covers the whole point and hes invulnerable while using it. They either get off the point, or die (or die as soon as its done and I use the dash and F=MA punch flurry.)

• Options
    Flash and Joker make a good Team Up Ult combo too. Drop the Joker's gas then run circles around it.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Flash + Wonder Woman is pretty much the ult dream team

• Options
    Wondy's ult is pretty awesome if you can get people to capitalize on it.

• Options
    Let's try to get a group together tonight, like 10:30ish EST.

• Options
    Yeah I can probably do that.

• Options
    Im down.

• Options
    Fun time last night. I'm getting comfortable jungling with AWW. And that chainsaw dash <3

• Options
    edited April 2015
    I really like playing the 5v5 and all it's super fun but something that I'm unexpectedly enjoying more than I thought I would is the 5vBots. They are generally no longer than fifteen to twenty minutes long, sometimes running as fast as ten minutes. That makes them perfect for working out power rotations and just chilling out and getting a feel for the heroes. I mean, the bots are seriously stupid punching bags. You gotta really work at it to get killed in a botmatch once you know what's up. So it's just this relaxing little super casual superhero multiplayer thing that I can get super quick fixes on. In a moba of all things.

edit: Super like really super super. Super.

Drake on
  • Options
    Hey lets try to get a group together tonight! around 10:30-10:45 EST.

• Options
    1.2 patch is out.

Release notes in the following spoiler.
    General Changes
    We've fixed the bug where no Champions would appear on Champion Select and the Champion Browser.
    Fixed a bug where Hawkgirl could lose her basic attacks and skill use.
    Fixed a bug where if you unlocked two achievements at the same time, you'd only get a reward for one.
    Fixed an issue where Champion skill effects may be delayed in appearance, or entirely missing.
    Fixed a bug where the client could hang or freeze randomly and could only be closed by using ALT+F4 or CTRL+ALT+DEL.
    Fixed a bug that could cause Blue Beetle to to be stuck in a knockback pose.
    Fixed a bug that caused the Counterpicker achievement to deliver the wrong reward.
    Fixed an issue where the general chat would remain called "team" chat if the champion select lobby was closed early.
    Fixed a bug where Green Arrow's Thermite Arrow would not explode when a drone is last hit.
    Fixed an issue where changing your resolution would cause notifications to have a distorted size/appearance.
    Fixed an issue that could cause Champion graphs to not appear appropriately on the scorecard.
    Fixed Starro's ultimate, Mind Control, to make sure it applies a parasite at the end of the effect.
    Supergirl's cape is now 50% less stretchy and 15.5% more capey.
    The Win 100 and Win 1000 match achievements will now increase with wins vs. AI, not just wins in PvP.
    Fixed a situation where creatures could become untargetable to attacks.
    Fixed an issue where a drop down menu could become stuck in a custom match when another player entered the lobby.
    Fixed an issue where custom draft match team order buttons don't move players around in the team order.
    Exiting an AI match where there were 4 AI players on your team will no longer apply a dodge penalty.
    Fixed a rare situation that could cause Katana's ultimate to avoid going on cooldown.
    The /stuck command now has a 6 second delay before the character is locked down in place.
    Fixed Gaslight Catwoman's attack animation from snapping her to a different idle pose.
    We've widened the range for Katana's Thousand Cuts ultimate to blink back to its original target at the end more reliably. Previously, she'd sometimes not end on the target she started with.
    Aligned the blinking box to the countdown timer during Tutorial 3.
    Fixed a bug that could cause players to become stuck in the meteor crater in Tutorial 1.
    Fixed a bug that would disallow players from selecting Gaslight Batman in Tutorial 2.
    Added a dialogue that will inform players to restart the client if the change their audio quality levels.
    Fixed a bug that could crash the client when you added a < symbol in your status.
    Certain sound effects will no longer break if Batman's Dark Knight skill is interrupted.
    Fixed a graphical error that could cause character models to become solid black.
    Fixed Zatanna's Stage Presence passive so it appropriately scaled off of bonus will.
    Fixed a bug that could cause players to get stuck in matchmaking queues for disabled maps.
    Fixed a bug that could cause wearers of Ra's al Ghul's Robes to become permanently invincible.

Champion Balance
    Starro
    A change we were testing with parasites was accidentally included into the previous patch. This change causes Starro’s slaves to die if he is not within 10m of them and was not meant to go live. This has been reverted! Starro’s slaves now only die if they are killed or their duration expires.

Parasites
    Slaves no longer expire if they exceed 1000 range from Starro. They now only die if they are killed or their duration expires.
    Cyborg
    We’re giving Cyborg’s ultimate more damage in the early ranks so that it feels good at all phases of the game.

Plasma Cannon
    Damage changed from 125/200/275/350 to 200/250/300/350

• Options
    So all good things must come to an end.

Infinite Crisis is closing Aug 14th.
    Steam Customer Support will refund any customer who purchased either The Starter Pack or The Elite Pack. To request a refund, please follow the instructions here: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6345-QIDX-7244

if you spent actual money you can get a refund by contacting customer service at infinitecrisis.com

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    So all good things must come to an end.

Infinite Crisis is closing Aug 14th.
    Steam Customer Support will refund any customer who purchased either The Starter Pack or The Elite Pack. To request a refund, please follow the instructions here: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6345-QIDX-7244

if you spent actual money you can get a refund by contacting customer service at infinitecrisis.com

When they went to Steam with just one queue of their 3 maps, it was going to happen. They they went full Dawngate by allowing everyone to be played for free. It had some cool heroes in it, but they never quite had a smooth game there. Still sad to see another MOBA shut its doors

• Options
    Yeah, I never got to play anything but Coast City. It would have been nice to actually play more maps and such.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    The 2 lane Dominion inspired map had a central point that acted as another cap point for victory points and spawned super minions to attack all currently controlled enemy points. And giant lasers. It fired those too.

Then you had a standard 3 lane and a jungle 5v5 map. Nothing too crazy about it.

• Options