As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PA Comic] Monday, April 6, 2015 - Venusian Stalemate

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited April 2015 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Unknown User on

• lionheartssjlionheartssj Bartertown Chief Merchant BartertownRegistered User regular
    Had this happen a lot when I used to play.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I'm guessing Bungie hasn't implemented any sort of guard against AFKing? Or a way to report players who do it and aggressively issue infractions and bans on people who are repeat offenders?

• Finnish_LineFinnish_Line Registered User regular
    People are the worst.

• RottonappleRottonapple Registered User regular
    So it's just like Battle Grounds in WoW a few years ago. I always loved dropping into Alterac Vally and the AFKave would be full of people soaking up honor. Then when they added the AFK report option. That was bit of a help.

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    People are the worst.

Yes, but people respond to incentives. If a game requires a ton of grinding, and an easy way to avoid that, players will do it. Don't get me wrong, those people should be punished severely, but Bungie made a system that rewards being a dirtbag.
    So it's just like Battle Grounds in WoW a few years ago. I always loved dropping into Alterac Vally and the AFKave would be full of people soaking up honor. Then when they added the AFK report option. That was bit of a help.
    The Alterac AFK'ers were a goldmine for rogues. Easy honor.

YoungFrey on
  • identeregareidenteregare Registered User regular
    "Idler"... and "Mexican" :?

You guys might want to rethink the phrasing a little.

• MenasorMenasor Registered User regular

Don't tell me you've never heard of a Mexican Standoff? What other phrase should have been used to quickly describe 3 people waiting for the other 2 to flinch and make the first move (or in this case, continue to not move)?

Destiny PS4: Earthen1
    edited April 2015
    Menasor wrote: »

Don't tell me you've never heard of a Mexican Standoff? What other phrase should have been used to quickly describe 3 people waiting for the other 2 to flinch and make the first move (or in this case, continue to not move)?
    Have you considered that the phrase Mexican Standoff, might just be racist? I honestly don't know if it is, but it calls out an ethnic group, so there is a decent chance.

YoungFrey on
    edited April 2015
    I would not say it's racist. I would say that the term is based on a stereotype from film. Most movies I can think of in which I have seen a Mexican standoff involves dudes wearing ponchos.

Racist and stereotype are not the same thing.

Lucascraft on
  • InvertinInvertin Registered User regular
    First, nobody says 'mexican standoff' with the impression or idea that mexicans do mexican standoffs a lot.
    Second, mentioning a country or nationality or race doesn't mean racism.

• SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    Maybe an enterprising Destiny player should write an open letter to the parents of players who go AFK.

• BrettxPWBrettxPW Registered User regular
    I think the correlation OP was trying to make is with the word idler, which is defined as "a habitually lazy person." There is a very ugly stereotype about Mexicans being lazy.

I think it is a bit of a stretch to connect these two just because they are in the same comic, but I can at least understand where the OP is coming from. I think we can agree that there was no ill intent on the part of Jerry and Mike.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    But in this case, idling is the opposite of acting like a Mexican. The stereotype has been turned on its head.

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    But in this case, idling is the opposite of acting like a Mexican. The stereotype has been turned on its head.

Is that a thinly veiled racist remark about sombreros?

steam_sig.png
  • Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    I'm surprised this is still going on. It's one of the big reasons I stopped playing. Especially because quitting a strike with two AFKers, going back to orbit, and trying to enter another one would as often as not put me right back into the same one, or one just like it that someone else had evacuated, which got priority from the queuing system due to being down one player.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
    Mexican is the least important part of the joke in this panel. This has absolutely nothing to do with Mexicans (the people) at all. Nor is it in any way referencing the negative stereotype of idle/lazy Mexicans. This comic has absolutely nothing to do with that. Let's stop making this about something that it isn't.

A "Mexican Standoff" is something we've all seen in movies where a bunch of dudes are all pointing their guns at each other, threatening to shoot each other in the faces. They are all threatening to shoot, but nobody is actually shooting. (Usually).

In the comic, in panel 3, we have an image of 3 dudes, standing around threatening each other, just like in a Mexican Standoff. Only instead of threatening to shoot each other, they are threatening to AFK.

This comic is not racist intentionally or unintentionally either one. It's a joke about a circle of dudes who are talkin' big.

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Really?!?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_standoff

"The tactics for such a confrontation are substantially different from those for a duel, where the first to shoot has the advantage. In a confrontation among three mutually hostile participants, the first to shoot is at a tactical disadvantage. If opponent A shoots opponent B, then while so occupied, opponent C can shoot A, thus winning the conflict. Since it is the second opponent to shoot that has the advantage, no one wants to go first."

Stupid on

26904.png
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    This week's sketchdump is pretty great. I would love to see a Bloodborne comic in the vein of that Destiny fanfiction.

Also, live action Automata? Yes, please.

• MerceMerce Registered User regular

Congrats, you took two words out of context and tried to create controversy. You're one of the worst things about the internet.

• dardordardor Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    This would be funnier if randoms actually communicated in Destiny. But since they don't, the last panel would just be 3 people looking at each other and most likely sitting or dancing.

I'll take a potato chip and eat it!
  • wormspeakerwormspeaker Objectively Terrible Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    Have you considered that the phrase Mexican Standoff, might just be racist? I honestly don't know if it is, but it calls out an ethnic group, so there is a decent chance.

It's getting all Tumblr up in here. YoungFrey, you're triggering me. You need to check your privilege.

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod

If you're going to proclaim something to be racist you might want to show up with some evidence.

• ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    Pretty sure connecting 'Mexican standoff' with the unrelated 'Mexicans are all lazy' stereotype IS in fact racist. That and In a Mexican standoff tension =/= idle.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited April 2015

Have you considered that, having come into usage in the US and Mexico shortly after the Mexican-American War, it's a reference to a specific historical event and not a trait of the nationality named? Think "Polish parliament, not "Irish twin."

Hevach on
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    From what I've been able to tell, the phrase predates radio, but may have been coined in Australia in reference to political tensions in Mexico sometime around the 1800s.

Not sure when and where it started to be used to refer to gunfight stalemates.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Claiming this is racist requires more stretching than a taffy factory.

YL9WnCY.png
    A steak! wrote: »

If you're going to proclaim something to be racist you might want to show up with some evidence.
    I am sorry if if that read like I was saying the phrase is racist. I have zero idea if that phrase has racist overtones or not. I'm not qualified to judge. I was saying that just because it has non-racist meaning to many people, that doesn't make the original poster's claim that there might be an inadvertent racist implication in the comic false.

• AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular

Yes!

Y'know I feel like it would make a great Tell-Tale Games game...

• Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Merce wrote: »

Congrats, you took two words out of context and tried to create controversy. You're one of the worst things about the internet.

I dunno, as a reverse Mexican I am deeply offended.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Also, I've now wasted a good portion of my morning commute looking for the origin of the phrase just to discover no one really knows.

Also, also, I like this comic.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Merce wrote: »

I dunno, as a reverse Mexican I am deeply offended.

As a Mexican Jew lizard...

Yes!

Y'know I feel like it would make a great Tell-Tale Games game...
    Or a new LA Noir. I mean, I know it's impossible, but that would be so cool.

• JortalusJortalus Registered User regular
    Great comic, but daaaamn...Live action Automata? Count me in on that!!

• RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    As I am 1/16 Chinese, I am continually having to deal with people thinking I respond to fires by swapping places in a car and "unfreeze" people by ducking under their legs.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Let's drop this inane discussion and get back to discussing the comic.

YL9WnCY.png