As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Playing Japanese DVDs on a European PS4 - go or no go?

MorranMorran Registered User regular
Dear Penny-Arcade hive-mind,

I just might be able to persuade my wife to allow me to buy a PS4 (yeay)!

The only catch is that it needs to be able to play Japanese DVDs.

Will this be possible if I buy the PS4 in Europe (Sweden to be precise)? Our current Xbox 360 seems to have problems reading the discs.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    You're in region 2 for DVD, and so is Japan.

It should be good. The only issue I can think of NTSC vs PAL, so make sure the DVD is PAL formatted (is this still a thing?). Edit: looks like it's probably not a thing anymore, and if the PS4 can output to your TV, you're probably kosher.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular
    I tired google PAL vs NTSC, but ended up being more confused than when I started. Is PAL/NTSC a property of the disc, and what are the implication for my choice in DVD player and/or television set? Can I check something on the DVD in order to see it my TV/future PS4 is ok with the disc?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    PAL/NTSC are the formats of the television. NTSC is popular in the US and Japan, PAL in Europe.

You can double check this to see if your TV supports both 50 and 60 MHz. With HDMI and modern LCD/LED TVs and all this, it's less of an issue today.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    PS4s only have an HDMI video out, so this should not be an issue.

Of course, if your TV doesn't have an HDMI port... then that would be an issue.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png